F1 2024 Season

hobbers

The BBC disagrees with that last part.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cmm3v9ny78eo

" Newey’s contract with Red Bull lasts until the end of 2025 but he is said to believe he can negotiate an exit that allows him to work with another team from next season. "
If he can negotiate an exit. Which probably means he’d be expecting RB to show some good will.

If he wants one last hurrah it has to be designing in 2025 though, because if he’s a year late to the active aero catastrophe era it’ll be too late to save whatever team he joins, or the rest of F1

Ahmer Baig

The Sky article mentions that Newey would be able to start working with another team from 2027 at the earliest, so he is also considering retiring from F1.

Ahmer Baig

Did you not bother reading @BristolRuss replied to you with or what?
I read that and now read this

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...es-to-leave-red-bull-after-nearly-two-decades

What is Newey's contractual situation and could he join Hamilton at Ferrari?
"He is contracted at Red Bull Racing until the end of 2025," reported Slater.

"As I understand it, he would have to serve another year of gardening leave were Red Bull to hold him to the full extent of his contract - which would mean he would not be able to work for another Formula 1 team until 2027.

"Red Bull, as I understand it, are also unaware of any formal approach from another Formula 1 team to Newey. The one or two individuals I have spoken to who are close to Newey have said that if he is seriously considering leaving, he has not made up his mind about what direction his future career should take."

Matt Varnish

Anyone reading this would think that Newey is RB's only designer, he's the head of a massive team at RB.
Ok he has the final say on what gets made and what doesn't, but you can be sure RB have someone in mind to step into those massive shoes shoud he decide to quite, and we all know he will one day.
All of his reasons for staying the UK have now gone, his kids are grown up, he can move anywhere, for any team and design cars, for him as a designer it must be a dream to design for Ferarri, but to expect him to produce a World Championship ar in one season is pie in the sky, it would take years, I would strongly suspect there would be a lot of caveats if he were to leave Red Bull.
Personally I think he's more likely to be taken on in an advisory role, while living the dream in Italy

pacifictheme

Both.

Bottas should get a drive if he wants one and is prepared to take a pay cut. He's had a decent season pace wise, car and team are fecking useless mind.

Not sure Zhou will get another F1 drive but maybe.

United Hobbit

Huge news re Adrian Newey, wonder what his next step will be

RB bubble well and truly about to burst as I can't see Max staying with how this is going

hobbers

Huge news re Adrian Newey, wonder what his next step will be

RB bubble well and truly about to burst as I can't see Max staying with how this is going
Think the only question is does he go in 2026 before everyone knows whos won the engine arms race, or wait until 2027 and just go with the fastest team.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Nico Hulkenberg will race with Kick Sauber in 2025 just been announced
Not really sure what's the point of these past it drivers. There is a reason why shite teams stay shite, and it's because they will not improve with signings such as these.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also cost far more than young drivers.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Not really sure what's the point of these past it drivers. There is a reason why shite teams stay shite, and it's because they will not improve with signings such as these.

Drivers don't make that much of a difference.

hobbers

Have you seen Mick Schumacher or Sargeants repair bills?

To be fair Bearman, Lawson and maybe Antonelli could all come in next year. Hopefully at the expense of Magnussen and Ricciardo. Sargeant also replaced by another Mercedes development driver.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Anyone reading this would think that Newey is RB's only designer, he's the head of a massive team at RB.
Ok he has the final say on what gets made and what doesn't, but you can be sure RB have someone in mind to step into those massive shoes shoud he decide to quite, and we all know he will one day.
All of his reasons for staying the UK have now gone, his kids are grown up, he can move anywhere, for any team and design cars, for him as a designer it must be a dream to design for Ferarri, but to expect him to produce a World Championship ar in one season is pie in the sky, it would take years, I would strongly suspect there would be a lot of caveats if he were to leave Red Bull.
Personally I think he's more likely to be taken on in an advisory role, while living the dream in Italy
He has pretty much nailed on development direction for over 3 decades in F1 despite all the changes in regulations.

That’s an advantage that will last years and cant be caught up with the new limits on development.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Have you seen Mick Schumacher or Sargeants repair bills?

To be fair Bearman, Lawson and maybe Antonelli could all come in next year. Hopefully at the expense of Magnussen and Ricciardo. Sargeant also replaced by another Mercedes development driver.
Sargeant is shite though. But others I think are worth the gamble instead of some average past it drivers, I really think few extra points can be more meaningful than one or two crashes. There is a reason top teams opt for experienced driver and young driver combination. Haas's

Also someone like Magnusses is on 4 millions yearly, Bottas is on 8 mil(ridiculous), while someone like Tsunoda, Sargeant are on 850k. Piastri is on 1,5m. They can crash 3 times more and still can't catch the wages difference(if we can believe wages reported, but young drivers are always much less paid, that much is obvious).

hobbers

While F1 is dominated by aero, Adrian Newey is easily the best out there.
It wont be dominated by aero from 2026 though. Could be like the 2014-2019 years where the best aerodynamics mean feck all in the face of a team nailing the new engine.