F1 2024 Season

Very good last 10 laps, terrible race up until then really. Cars are still struggling in dirty air when they get to about 1 second gap and fade away a few laps later.

Could forcing 2 pitstops help with drivers pushing more instead of coasting and maybe getting a second chance to overtake?

Good article by Mark Hughes from autosport on Verstappen's problems at imola.

Made a mistake when looking after his HARDS and cooled them too much so he couldn't get heat back into them.

If he didn't have the battery problem during last 10 laps, lando may not have caught him regardless of the tyre issue.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hughes-final-red-bull-f1-imola-weakness/
Wonder if he simply couldn't get the temp in bc he had to drive so conservatively since early on in the race after getting the black and white flag.

Piergiuseppe Donadoni
@SmilexTech

Alonso and Aston used the GP as a test, with a stint on each compound. Data collection to understand why the new package is not what the technicians expected. Fernando and especially Lawrence are starting to lose their patience

Piergiuseppe Donadoni
@SmilexTech

Alonso and Aston used the GP as a test, with a stint on each compound. Data collection to understand why the new package is not what the technicians expected. Fernando and especially Lawrence are starting to lose their patience
They share the same wind tunnel as Mercedes, neither team's updates work. I wonder why?

They share the same wind tunnel as Mercedes, neither team's updates work. I wonder why?
Betcha Lawrence really can't wait to have their facilities up and running now. I also think he may not have the patience much longer after that if the team doesn't consistently start being competitive. At the very least he's grown the value of the team substantially so as an investment it may still be fruitful.

I just stumbled upon a stream of the new game and Max is rated higher than Senna and Schumacher. Right then.

As per Italian publication La Gazzetta dello Sport, Binotto was back in the F1 paddock at Imola, Ferrari’s home race, where he reportedly headed for Aston Martin hospitality for a conversation with their ambitious owner Stroll, who they claim has a ‘concrete interest’ in making Binotto their team principal.

Aston Martin started to have difficulties in Austria. In Canada, during the race, Aston Martin ran very fast almost at the same pace as Verstappen. The change of the front wing arrived in Austria. So that's exactly the problem. The front wing is the most important part of the car, the first point the car encounters the air. Seeing later how the team changed the design several times, it makes me think that that is precisely the problem with amr23.

Teams which have played around with the front wing usually haven't had a good time in this regulation set. If you find something that works for the concept, it's best to leave it alone (minus minor optimizations) and focus on gains elsewhere. Ferrari, RedBull and McLaren never make huge changes to their front wing with their updates. The other team which was messing with "clever" ideas with the front wing this year was Mercedes, with an interesting idea to bring back the "y250" vortex, but with each change they've brought to that front wing they have made it weaker and weaker to the point where it's barely existing as a feature right now. So clearly that didn't work out .

Aston Martin started to have difficulties in Austria. In Canada, during the race, Aston Martin ran very fast almost at the same pace as Verstappen. The change of the front wing arrived in Austria. So that's exactly the problem. The front wing is the most important part of the car, the first point the car encounters the air. Seeing later how the team changed the design several times, it makes me think that that is precisely the problem with amr23.

Teams which have played around with the front wing usually haven't had a good time in this regulation set. If you find something that works for the concept, it's best to leave it alone (minus minor optimizations) and focus on gains elsewhere. Ferrari, RedBull and McLaren never make huge changes to their front wing with their updates. The other team which was messing with "clever" ideas with the front wing this year was Mercedes, with an interesting idea to bring back the "y250" vortex, but with each change they've brought to that front wing they have made it weaker and weaker to the point where it's barely existing as a feature right now. So clearly that didn't work out .
I can't speak for AM as I don't know enough about the car. But Mercedes problems are nothing to do with the front wing. Their problems are a lack of downforce for the rear of the car and issues with the rear suspension. They can't put the power down in high speed corners, there isn't enough grip.

They added an update a few races back to the rear of the car that should have produced 70 points of downforce. Nothing improved. They added extra sensors to that area and found that the downforce was there and producing the required 70 points but it didn't lead to a better lap time. Therefore a correlation issue between the wind tunnel / CAD design and the on track performance.

AM use that same wind tunnel and like Mercedes the updates aren't producing the desired results hence I think it maybe a wind tunnel correlation issue.

Interesting discussion over on Reddit about whether the Senna recognition is over the top or not: https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/s/2T3bxLSNHN

Im glad the quiet thing is said aloud and it seems like many others commenting agree. Obviously remembering the guy is great, but it also does a bit of a disservice to others, and somewhat embellishes his legacy.

Can anybody recommend a good F1 podcast?

And by can you, I don't mean I want a yes/no binary. What I'm looking for is names and titles of said podcasts.

Thought I'd clarify.

Thanks in advance.

And by can you, I don't mean I want a yes/no binary. What I'm looking for is names and titles of said podcasts.

Thought I'd clarify.

Thanks in advance.
F1 Beyond the grid. Tom Clarkson.

Everyone in F1 does that podcast.

Interesting discussion over on Reddit about whether the Senna recognition is over the top or not: https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/s/2T3bxLSNHN

Im glad the quiet thing is said aloud and it seems like many others commenting agree. Obviously remembering the guy is great, but it also does a bit of a disservice to others, and somewhat embellishes his legacy.

He was definitely very dirty driver who would be hated by many in modern age.

Ferrari driver Sainz says the FIA should re-visit the idea of deleting lap times for offending drivers.

"There have been very clear cases in street circuits where, between us drivers, we've spotted people on purpose generating red flags," Sainz said.

Thought I'd clarify.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend the race F1 podcast. They do a post race debrief style podcast which is good and now a midweek one where they talk about any news that has taken place between races and answer fan questions.

There is also one called bring back v10s which is a historical podcast about the V10 era. It's been running for years and is great for anyone who likes that era of f1. They choose all sorts of key events or races and do a lot of research to properly talk through them. They also sometimes have guests from the relevant period, including Mika hakkinen on occasion.

Ascari crashing into the harbour 1955

Only 3 cars finishing in 1996 Monace

"Tremendous Excitement" on the commentary as a car goes off the track and catapults into the water :lol:

It was definitely a different sport then.

IMG-2126.jpg

Leclerc will easily pole this. If he keeps it out the wall.

Finally some amazing piece of TV production just in time with what's happening on the track regarding Perez.