F1 2024 Season

pauldyson1uk

A “disappointed” Fernando Alonso slammed the Australian GP stewards’ decision to sanction him for “potentially dangerous” driving, insisting his fight with George Russell was “hard but fair racing”.

The incident unfolded in the closing stages of Sunday’s race at Albert Park as Alonso and Russell battled for P6.

Fearing Russell's advantage with DRS in the upcoming zones, Alonso explained that he braked earlier at Turn 6 on the penultimate lap in a bid to boost his edge on the straight.

The unexpected maneuver caught Russell off guard, the Briton losing control of his Mercedes in the turbulent air behind Alonso's Aston Martin.

After reviewing evidence and hearing Alonso's explanation, the stewards deemed the Spaniard’s driving as "potentially dangerous" and issued a drive-through penalty, immediately converted to a 20-second time penalty.

This demoted Alonso from sixth to eighth in the final standings and thoroughly frustrated the F1 veteran.

https://f1i.com/news/503568-disappo...SiD1rhODsAtmqJqroOo7C2hZpJktEDcrub-grRk9L3IPw

The Firestarter

United Hobbit

Really hope that's not true about Perez

Watching the replay, I see what people are saying that the race would have been more interesting if Max had stayed in it as Sainz was actually racing him - but was that only happening because he had the problem?

Can't remember the last time I saw a RB go bang

hobbers

Horner and Toto should be fighting it out to sign Sainz if they have any sense.

Miles better than Checo and Russell. If there's a danger of Max leaving after next season then Sainz in on a long term deal mitigates the loss a bit.

Toto could get Sainz in for next season and then if Max wants to come in 2026, Russell's contract is up after 2025 so can just turf him out.

dinostar77

Perez does bring in £50mil a year in sponsorship. Under cost cap that could be important. Also maybe him and his team have been loyal to Horner in the Red Bull civil war. Having one side of the garage on your side could be important.

I hope Peter Windsor has been fed some bull crap.

sepulturite

Really don't understand what Alonso was thinking doing that, he was going to beat Russell anyway, I doubt it very much he was going to be passed in the last half of the lap after holding him off already. All very strange.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Has someone a clip please of the Russell onboard? I didn’t remember thinking anything of it when I watched the race replay. Granted I was not paying much attention by then!

hobbers

It’s a ridiculous penalty and sets a ridiculous precedent.

If you checked Alonso’s telemetry in his Brazil battle vs Checo he will have lifted off at odd moments dozens of times because he was taking weird lines all over the shop. Part of racing is improvising with corner entry and exit speed.

Could also compare it to what Magnussen did in Saudi. Lifting off purposefully blocking and going slowly on one of the fastest track in the calendar for dozens of laps.

The only difference is Checo and Yuki didn’t spin off in their respective dirty air like turds.

And that’s before you get to whatever his known throttle issue was.

pauldyson1uk

Fernando Alonso responds to FIA stewards’ verdict in Australia
While no contact was made between the cars, the stewards’ verdict explained that Russell told them of his belief that “Alonso’s manoeuvre was erratic, took him by surprise and caused him to close distance unusually fast, and with the resulting lower downforce at the apex of the corner, he lost control and crashed at the exit of the corner.”

The stewards agreed, awarding him three penalty points on his Super Licence and a 20-second penalty that dropped him from sixth to eighth in the classification

“In the closing laps, George caught me quickly. I knew that he was coming, then he was in DRS range for five or six laps, so I was just doing qualifying laps to stay ahead,” Alonso said after the race.

“I wanted to maximise my exit speed from Turn 6 to defend against him. That’s what any racing driver would do, and I didn’t feel it was dangerous.

“It’s disappointing to get a penalty from the stewards for what was hard but fair racing.

“Still, I’m glad that George is okay. It was not nice to see his car in the middle of the track.

“This wasn’t the best weekend for us in terms of pace, but our race was well executed: good strategy, incredible pit-stops, great reliability.

“I think we probably scored more points today than our pace merited – but we’ll take that.”

Expanding further on the topic on social media, Alonso wrote on X: “Double points for the team and a better race pace than the rest of the weekend allowed us to cross the finish line in 6th and 7th place.

“A bit surprised by a penalty at the end of the race regarding how we should approach the corners or how we should drive the race cars. At no point do we want to do anything wrong at these speeds.

“I believe that without gravel on that corner, on any other corner in the world we will never be even investigated. In F1, with over 20 years of experience, with epic duels like Imola 2005/2006/Brazil 2023, changing racing lines, sacrificing entry speed to have good exits from corners is part of the art of motorsport.

“We never drive at 100% every race lap and every corner, we save fuel, tires, brakes, so being responsible for not making every lap the same is a bit surprising. We have to accept it and think about Japan, to have more pace and fight for positions further up the field. Thank you, team!”

Fernando Alonso issues firm response to FIA stewards after Australian GP penalty : PlanetF1

pauldyson1uk

Alonso , from his own mouth

Alonso explained that while his plan was to slow earlier, he got it slightly wrong and had to take extra steps to get back up to speed.

The report into the incident added: "The stewards considered that they do not have sufficient information to determine whether Alonso's manoeuvre was intended to cause Russell problems, or whether as he stated to the stewards that he simply was trying to get a better exit.

"Should Alonso have the right to try a different approach to the corner? Yes. Should Alonso be responsible for dirty air, that ultimately caused the incident? No.

"However, did he choose to do something, with whatever intent, that was extraordinary, ie lifting, braking, downshifting and all the other elements of the manoeuvre over 100m earlier than previously, and much greater than was needed to simply slow earlier for the corner?

"Yes by his own account of the incident he did, and in the opinion of the stewards by doing these things, he drove in a manner that was at very least 'potentially dangerous' given the very high speed nature of that point of the track."

Formula 1: Fernando Alonso given penalty for incident that led to Russell crash - BBC Sport

Last edited:

Ahmer Baig

It’s a ridiculous penalty and sets a ridiculous precedent.

If you checked Alonso’s telemetry in his Brazil battle vs Checo he will have lifted off at odd moments dozens of times because he was taking weird lines all over the shop. Part of racing is improvising with corner entry and exit speed.

Could also compare it to what Magnussen did in Saudi. Lifting off purposefully blocking and going slowly on one of the fastest track in the calendar for dozens of laps.

The only difference is Checo and Yuki didn’t spin off in their respective dirty air like turds.

And that’s before you get to whatever his known throttle issue was.
What do you expect from Herbert being steward.

hobbers

:lol:
I didnt expect that kind of bottom tier journalism from the BBC but I guess it is the sports section after all.
"Every time I talk to her, she breaks down in tears and says she's got no-one to talk to because she's not allowed to talk." :lol:

I also enjoyed the quotes claiming the whatsapps are real and that her friend was Horner's PA. Thereby revealing her identity yet again. While at the same time claiming that her friend is "very scared".

It's interviews like this that make it very obvious why the complainant ended up suspended.

dinostar77

Japanese Grand Prix (all times BST)
DateSessionTimeRadio coverageRadio start times
Friday, 5 AprilFirst practice03:30-04:30Radio 5 Sports Extra, BBC Sounds and online03:25
Second practice07:00-08:00Radio 5 Sports Extra, BBC Sounds and online06:55
Saturday, 6 AprilThird practice03:30-04:30Radio 5 Sports Extra, BBC Sounds and online03:25
Qualifying07:00-08:00Radio 5 Sports Extra, BBC Sounds and online06:55
Sunday, 7 AprilRace06:00Radio 5 Live, BBC Sounds and online05:45

dinostar77

FP1 should be interesting as we will see the new zero sidepod concept for on the RedBull. As if they weren't fast enough already. Will be very embarrassing for Mercedes if it is the same concept and RedBull just nail it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Horner and Toto should be fighting it out to sign Sainz if they have any sense.

Miles better than Checo and Russell. If there's a danger of Max leaving after next season then Sainz in on a long term deal mitigates the loss a bit.

Toto could get Sainz in for next season and then if Max wants to come in 2026, Russell's contract is up after 2025 so can just turf him out.
He may be a bit better than Russell. But to say he is miles better strikes me as an exaggeration.

dinostar77

Thought they weren't gonna bring that until the European races?
Latest i
Thought they weren't gonna bring that until the European races?
Not sure, we will find out tomorrow. Maybe they are concerned with Ferrari's pace at Melbourne but with these regs the chasing pack is normally dependent on the characteristics of the track at a given weekend.

dinostar77

i dont partake in your superbru league or whatever its called. But i wouldnt put either Mercedes high up the order. Dont think either car will make Q3 on saturday. Too many high speed corners where Mercedes ceed alot of time to Mclaren in Saudi. Never mind upgraded AM cars.

dinostar77

So sergant crashes the revised Williams chassis that albon damaged, in FP1.

FP2 was a rain soaked wash out.

Should hopefully lead to a interesting quality and race if the teams haven't got the cars dialled in.

FORMULA 1 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX 2024 - PRACTICE 1
0507 Apr 2024Suzuka International Racing Course, Suzuka
Race sponsor
POSDRIVERTIMEGAPLAPS
1VER1:30.05618
2PER1:30.237+0.181s18
3SAI1:30.269+0.213s20
4RUS1:30.530+0.474s18
5HAM1:30.543+0.487s23
6LEC1:30.558+0.502s18
7ALO1:30.599+0.543s20
8PIA1:31.165+1.109s23
9TSU1:31.230+1.174s20
10NOR1:31.240+1.184s22
11OCO1:31.935+1.879s19
12ALB1:31.943+1.887s18
13HUL1:31.958+1.902s19
14BOT1:32.054+1.998s17
15STR1:32.055+1.999s17
16IWA1:32.103+2.047s22
17GAS1:32.277+2.221s23
18ZHO1:32.638+2.582s18
19MAG1:32.803+2.747s21
20SAR1:33.204+3.148s10

dinostar77

PositionDriverTeamTimeGapLaps
1Oscar PiastriMcLaren1:34.7257
2Lewis HamiltonMercedes1:35.2260.5016
3Charles LeclercFerrari1:38.7604.0354
4Yuki TsunodaRB1:40.9466.2218
5Daniel RicciardoRB1:41.9137.1889
6Lando NorrisMcLaren1:44.97710.2523
7Carlos Sainz JrFerrari1:52.57917.8543
8Esteban OconAlpine1:59.11324.3883
9Kevin MagnussenHaas2:30.47255.7474
10Guanyu ZhouSauber
11Valtteri BottasSauber
12Alex AlbonWilliams
13Nico HulkenbergHaas
14Max VerstappenRed Bull
15Pierre GaslyAlpine
16Sergio PerezRed Bull
17Fernando AlonsoAston Martin
18Lance StrollAston Martin
19George RussellMercedes
20Logan SargeantWilliams

hobbers

I think Max and the Ferrari's have continued their game of running every practice session with the engines turned way down.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I think Max and the Ferrari's have continued their game of running every practice session with the engines turned way down.
That makes me wonder - was turning down the engine even a thing back in the day...say in the 90s? I can't recall. It obviously will also help PU longevity but i wonder then it it also explains why cars these days seem so bullet proof comparatively. Though having computers and robots assemble a lot of the parts with a lot more precision probably helps a lot too.

hobbers

That makes me wonder - was turning down the engine even a thing back in the day...say in the 90s? I can't recall. It obviously will also help PU longevity but i wonder then it it also explains why cars these days seem so bullet proof comparatively. Though having computers and robots assemble a lot of the parts with a lot more precision probably helps a lot too.
I dont know if they had any tricks to mechanically turn down them back in the day, but definitely with the electronic management there is now, the cars are only really going full beans for maybe 10 laps every weekend. A few qualifying laps and then a few laps in the race when they're fighting for position.

Also everything is more modular so it's much easier to monitor wear on individual components and replace them before they destroy the engine.