FA Cup 5th Round - 16th to 19th of Feb | Very Appalling Refereeing

cosimas

I think it should be entirely in control of the referee upstairs who calls the game back if he spots something. Obviously, there would need to be some sort of time limit on this, but that's OK cos it wouldn't be "clear and obvious" in those circumstances.

montpelier

wrong to disallow that 1st Spurs goal for me

disallowed penalty is a good decision - but technically, he ought not need VAR for that

what's the rule now about fouls starting outside the box but continuing in?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That was the most bizarre half of football I've ever seen.

A perfectly good goal from Lamela over-turned by VAR, a penalty scored by Son that - at worst - should have re-taken due to encroachment.

And the players kept standing around in freezing conditions for many minutes from endless VAR reviews.
You can't just make up your own rules Glaston, no matter how poor the mighty Rochdale are making you look.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
So VAR, so good. Now if the Idiot With A Telly system got MU kicked out I would be livid. To see Potch on the point of apoplexy ... give it a chance, give it a chance. I’m a low level hypocrite ya see. :wenger:

ivaldo

I thought VAR was to help cut down on the talking points in the game? It is creating more.
With the exception of the first one it's just exposing people's lack of knowledge, including the commentators, of the rules.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
disallowed penalty is a good decision - but technically, he ought not need VAR for that
Disallowed, or retaken? Players were in the box before the kicking of the ball, you could say it was because he stopped which made them all flood in, but even if they continued his run they would have been in the box encroaching anyway.

Summit

With the exception of the first one it's just exposing people's lack of knowledge, including the commentators, of the rules.
Sorry but I disagree. Players were in the box before he stopped is run in the penalty, so what should it have been? A retake?

RedDevil@84

Disallowed, or retaken? Players were in the box before the kicking of the ball, you could say it was because he stopped which made them all flood in, but even if they continued his run they would have been in the box encroaching anyway.
The decision was correct though. He stopped first, players flood in next.
The stopping is illegal, correctly carded and penalty disallowed. It doesn't matter what happened next.

montpelier

I suppose they end up saying that the cheaty run up trumps everything else but I don't know really

Not convinced they do either though, :)

ivaldo

Sorry but I disagree. Players were in the box before he stopped is run in the penalty, so what should it have been? A retake?
Both sets of players were, infact the two furthest forward players were Spurs. If the opposition players enter the box and the taker scores, it doesn't get pulled back, does it? I'm sorry but the rules are very clear and very specific in this. The decision is absolutely spot on.

Summit

Both sets of players were. If the opposition players enter the box and the taker scores, it doesn't get pulled back, does it? I'm sorry but the rules are very clear and very specific in this. The decision is absolutely spot on.
Yes I think it does, no?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I think VAR is a shambles, but what Son did seemed an infringement. He didn't do that slowing down thing, his feet were together planted and he took a pause.

ivaldo

Yes I think it does, no?
And that's your proof is it? If either team gain an advantage then it's retaken. As neither team gained an advantage then the decision to yellow and award a freekick stands.

RedDevil@84

Both sets of players were, infact the two furthest forward players were Spurs. If the opposition players enter the box and the taker scores, it doesn't get pulled back, does it? I'm sorry but the rules are very clear and very specific in this. The decision is absolutely spot on.
If the players from the kicker's team infringe, then the kick is allowed to be taken. If it goes in it will be retaken. If it does not go in, an indirect freekick is awarded to the defending team.

If the players not from the kicker's team infringe, then the kick is allowed to be taken. If it goes in it will be awarded a goal. If it doesn't go in, kick is retaken

This is from FIFA Law book on penalties

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
What's the ref guidelines for two infringements committed one after the other - in terms of gameplay are they obliged to penalise the first or the most gratuitous?

ivaldo

If the players from the kicker's team infringe, then the kick is allowed to be taken. If it goes in it will be retaken. If it does not go in, an indirect freekick is awarded to the defending team.

If the players not from the kicker's team infringe, then the kick is allowed to be taken. If it goes in it will be awarded a goal. If it doesn't go in, kick is retaken

This is from FIFA Law book on penalties
And where does it mention an infringement before the ball is kicked and how it effects the rules?

Summit

And that's your proof is it? If either team gain an advantage then it's retaken. As neither team gained an advantage then the decision to yellow and award a freekick stands.
No it isn't my proof, I was genuinely asking the question, hence the question mark and my unsure response. Fair enough mate if you are right, but you really shouldn't be such an arse about someone asking a question on a rule you know. Take a leaf out of @jojojo's book, she knows the rules too, but doesn't come across like you. ;)

ivaldo

No it isn't my proof, I was genuinely asking the question, hence the question mark and my unsure response. Fair enough mate if you are right, but you really shouldn't be such an arse about someone asking a question on a rule you know. Take a leaf out of @jojojo's book, she knows the rules too, but doesn't come across like you. ;)
Apologies, I thought you were being arsey too otherwise I wouldn't have taken that tone.

Oscie

Honestly thought ref was gonna disallow that goal when I saw him listening to the VAR guy
That's because it has to review every goal. As BT showed the replay of the goal you could hear the home fans booing. We should get used to that. VAR will mean the unadulterated joy from the fans at a goal will be replaced with a disgruntled jeer for however long it takes for the referee to get the confirmation from the studio that the goal should stand.

ivaldo

He's called him Moira again. What's wrong with three bloke?

RedDevil@84

And where does it mention an infringement before the ball is kicked and how it effects the rules?
Once the ref blows whistle for the kicker to take the penalty, the kicker will be allowed to take a legal kick and infringement decisions will be taken after the kick is complete.
Then again I am not sure whose actions will take precedence, if the kicker and his team mates and opposition all perform illegal actions