FA Cup | 5th Round | QF draw: Leicester (A)

mu4c_20le

Thought we needed a bit of luck at the end to win it. Bruno's goal was a beaut but I'd expect any decent keeper to save that all day.

TheGame

Amazed to see people in the post match thread say you made us look ordinary. 14 shots and 6 on target each. Very much in the balance at 2-2 as well. I think that’s the most chances we’ve had in a game at Old Trafford in years.

United shaded it but weren’t miles better.
Liverpool certainly weren’t ordinary. They played well.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Amazed to see people in the post match thread say you made us look ordinary. 14 shots and 6 on target each. Very much in the balance at 2-2 as well. I think that’s the most chances we’ve had in a game at Old Trafford in years.

Yeah, saying we made Liverpool look ordinary is a poor assessment. Thought we were slightly the better side.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool certainly weren’t ordinary. They played well.
Same. Defensive mistakes cost both sides in the game. Williams isn’t bad for his age but he gets exploited like that a lot. Rashford was a nightmare on that side.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

you looked ordinary for 60 minutes and then really fecking great for about 20 until the 3-2. Overall yes, fairly even game with united shading it

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It was an even game with United the slightly better side.
Our defending though not just from the defenders but from the entire team. Big improvement needed here.
Haven’t seen much of Williams to write him off, but it is much harder for young defenders to shine than for young forwards.
Anyway very happy with the win and we have finally beaten another top 4/6 or whatever side this season (after the Everton win(s)).

Djemba-Djemba

To be fair though you're usually fecking dreadful at OT so it's not a particularly high bar.

As bad as Utd are every year at Anfield actually

Thiago is a proper dirty cnut. Don't know how he keeps getting away with it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
To be fair though you're usually fecking dreadful at OT so it's not a particularly high bar.

As bad as Utd are every year at Anfield actually

Thiago is a proper dirty cnut. Don't know how he keeps getting away with it.
Be interesting to see if he tries it on Harry Kane if he will get away with it.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
How many more games can you go without a win before you ask yourself if Klopp's doing another Dortmund.

:lol:
This is a lazy comparison though. We’re only six off of top, and I think we’re still the top scorers in the league despite this dry spell.

Dortmund at this stage of Klopp’s final season with them were in the relegation zone or somewhere near there.

We’re not playing terribly or getting completely dominated in most games. No unbiased person would say United dominated today for example.We’re not clicking up top, have a few players out of form and hava had to change the team around as well in key areas.

I trust Klopp to sort this out with the players.Getting Jota back would help a lot.

Anyway good luck until you get knocked out in the semifinal. :p

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
How many more games can you go without a win before you ask yourself if Klopp's doing another Dortmund.
It's clearly another Dortmund, but look what Klopp did after. He won the CL, World Championship and a PL. I'd rather wait for that cycle however long it takes. There's no better manager out there.

As an example, the team Klopp could be sending out if he sells one of Mane/Salah in August could be:

Alisson
Trent CB* VvD Robertson
Henderson Thiago Fabinho
Mane Haaland Jota

I'd fancy Klopp's chances of a bounce back.

Giggs' right foot

This is a lazy comparison though. We’re only six off of top, and I think we’re still the top scorers in the league despite this dry spell.

Dortmund at this stage of Klopp’s final season with them were in the relegation zone or somewhere near there.

We’re not playing terribly or getting completely dominated in most games. No unbiased person would say United dominated today for example.We’re not clicking up top, have a few players out of form and hava had to change the team around as well in key areas.

I trust Klopp to sort this out with the players.Getting Jota back would help a lot.

Yeah while I'd love for the Dortmund-comparison to come to fruition, I strongly doubt it.

It's normal that strikers hit a dry spell - Liverpool are hit hard now because all three strikers (though Salah stopped his today) are having theirs at the same time - mix it up with a Jota injury whose looked class and the van Dijk-and-Gomez-and-Matip injuries - it's inevitable you hit a bad form.

I'm in no way ruling out Liverpool for the title this season - and I'm surprised so many are ready to do so (especially Liverpool fans themselves). Their defense will probably continue to be subpar in the coming months, but if Salah and Mané start firing again, the pricks will start coming after whoever is above them.

Ananke

You might be 6 off top but you’ve got a nasty fixture list coming up, off the back of losses/draws you should have got wins from.

And now knocked out of the FA cup to United. It’s gonna be tough to gain momentum for you guys. Personally I think United were all over Liverpool for the majority of the first half. Second half you lot turned it up, looked decent. But Liverpool are way too easy to exploit right now. Too many cracks in that team.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
This is the kind of game that made me fall in love with football, and in love with the FA Cup.

I've been a bit gutted by the modern football fan and clubs attitude to the FA Cup...that's modern football.

Aside from the fact that 'we don't like each other' blah blah....that was a proper FA Cup tie minus the crowd.

Some great football played by both sides, mistakes from both sides...moments that game could have turned on a sixpence.

Holy feck, any neutral who turned that off wants a head check. Was fascinating...if you weren't supporting either side.

As it is, I thought we shaded it...though both times Liverpool scored they had very dominant phases in the game.

Rashford was terrifying, Shaw incredibly good again. We took advantage of some inexperience at their end...

Give me that over some of the insipid league games. That was great...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The dortmund comparison is pretty apt actually.

- team dropping a level compared to where they were - check
- injury crisis including losing their best/most important player - check
- performances generally being better than their opponents - check
- giving up ridiculous and/or dumb goals due to bad luck or individual mistakes by defenders/gks - check
- strikers unable to hit the broad side of a barn - check

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
James Rodriguez is still a quality player, shame he’s made of glass.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
The dortmund comparison is pretty apt actually.

- team dropping a level compared to where they were - check
- injury crisis including losing their best/most important player - check
- performances generally being better than their opponents - check
- giving up ridiculous and/or dumb goals due to bad luck or individual mistakes by defenders/gks - check
- strikers unable to hit the broad side of a barn - check
I don’t buy it. We’ve had worse performances in games during the previous two seasons and found ways to win. This season we’ve not done that and seen a drop off similar to what City went through and are still going through, compared to their 100 & 98 point seasons.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I don’t buy it. We’ve had worse performances in games during the previous two seasons and found ways to win. This season we’ve not done that and seen a drop off similar to what City went through and are still going through, compared to their 100 & 98 point seasons.
There's a sense of relativity as you say...

I'm not buying that Liverpool or Klopp are spent or fragile or one dimensional.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thought we needed a bit of luck at the end to win it. Bruno's goal was a beaut but I'd expect any decent keeper to save that all day.
Any decent keeper? He's ranked one of the best couple in the world :lol:

It was a fantastic strike.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
@Sandikan will love that.
What are the cup odds now? Presume City are favourites.
We ran Tottenham really close a few years ago from league two.
Leading them 3-2 at their place, and then cruelly conceding in about the 90th and then a deflected 93rd to lose 4-3.

If I could change one kick in Wycombe's last 20 years, it would be when our keeper had the ball in his hands in the 89th min, and instead of booting it deep into their stand, or corner, he put it right on their midfield man's head and it carved our defence, who weren't expecting it. Gutting.

That was Poch though, and he rested a few too many.

Jose will surely leave Kane, Dier, Son types out. That Liverpool game is really close.

But as for Wycombe, we're championship now, albeit bottom, and at home. So who knows :)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We ran Tottenham really close a few years ago.
Leading them 3-2 at their place, and then cruelly conceding in about the 90th and then a deflected 93rd to lose 4-3.

If I could change one kick in Wycombe's last 20 years, it would be when our keeper had the ball in his hands in the 89th min, and instead of booting it deep into their stand, or corner, he put it right on their midfield man's head and it carved our defence, who weren't expecting it. Gutting.

That was Poch though, and he rested a few too many.

Jose will surely leave Kane, Dier, Son types out. That Liverpool game is really close.
Jose could do that. He might have to lock Kane in his house.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Jose could do that. He might have to lock Kane in his house.
It's odds on he'll rest Kane. He might start Son though.

But it'd be mad if he risked too many starters.

I'm expecting Bale though, which would be madness. And so annoying it's happening less than 4miles from my door and I can't go :(

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Excellent professional performance by us tonight. Glad that Rodriguez and DCL look in good form before the Leicester game midweek.