FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
There might be some football dudes of any skin in the uk that recognise the phrase and might think it's inherently racist just because of the way Suarez tried to use that exact phrase to excuse racism towards Evra. He used that excuse because the word isn't that uncommon and often used in a friendly way. This is my understanding of it anyway.
Suarez lied about using negrito, he actually used negro.

Thiagoal

Spoken to a Spanish guy at work and he reckons his gran used to call him the word (he’s white) as he has dark hair!

Cavani was chatting in his own language to a friend using a harmless term! Just cos it sounds like a racist word in this country is irrelevant!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
What the feck are you going on about?

At one point Buenos Aires population was 1/3 black.

There was obviously a conscious and subconscious agenda to erase the countries African population.
Doubt it, source? Montevideo certainly was nothing remotely close to that, which makes it weird to see people banging on about the origins being white supremacist conspiracy theories to impose itself.... on a very small share of the population, about 8%. Weird how 92% would have nothing better to do than think of ways of establishing their superiority :houllier:. What this 92% actually did was split in two halves and spend about 100 years killing each other in civil wars .

In terms of inbound traffic Buenos Aires was a hub for sure, they would get dropped there and sent over to Chile and from Chile transported north up the Pacific Coast. You would get some trickle down but for the most part the slaves in Uruguay and Buenos Aires were household "help" for the few that could afford it, not labourers out in the fields. Mind you, Argentina is vast so probably had some hotspots.

Again, can't see how your conscious and unconscious agenda angle fits with Uruguay going to Europe for the 1924 and 1928 Olympics with black players. The entire point of the government supporting and funding those trips was putting Uruguay on the map, making itself known. If there had been such an agenda there would have been none, surely. Around that same time, kicking a black player was not even considered a foul in Brazil.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Suarez lied about using negrito, he actually used negro.
That's exactly what I'm saying. That's how I remember it anyways. If your tone is aggressive, the difference probably doesn't make much difference but it's definitely a lot more blatant. Even if you're twisting a normally friendly phrase into an insult, it's still racist I think. Either way, nobody has done anything like that in this case.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The way he talks, full stop, might well change over time (which would represent an instance of personal cultural development). It's in the nature of advanced social cultures to be constantly modifying and evolving (you practically define them that way); it's only less advanced (in momentum terms) or more isolated cultures that tend to stay fixed and immutable, and any 'fixed' culture with rigid mores is, in a sense, a dying culture.
You do know that your argument should be applied to English people and the FA, not Cavani, right?

All of your words apply to little englanders. Not a multi lingual well travelled professional sportsman.

Because it sounds like you’ve turned into a parody of yourself inside a single paragraph.

antohan

As if being called Arnold wasn't bad enough?!

I imagine some of the posters in this thread are tweeting/Instagramming him and telling him to change his name... or never visit the UK ever again.
I'm a bit slow today. How did I not notice that either? Poor midget kiddo, it was a pisstake on him all along, wasn't it?

Dr. Dwayne

Think it was Marcos, but we had both made a very similar post re: nicknames based on distinctive physical traits. There were also a few others but we all fall under the one label, clearly.

Insight of the day though was someone pointing out something I somehow have missed throughout all these years: on our screens ever since Conan the Barbarian, the ex-Governor of California, Arnold Blackn*igger.

Of course, he got away with decades of making people regularly mouth that double slur because schwarz is nowhere near as similar to negro as negrito.
The breakdown of Arnold's last name is actually Schwarzen / egger, which probably means "black farmer".

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It's possible to view this one of two ways: on one hand Cavani was talking in his own language to a friend who shares his cultural viewpoint, so we shouldn't be applying our own cultural filter to him. On the other hand he's working in the UK so has to accept the British approach.
British approach? If you’re inferring that he should adopt English cultural practices he probably needs to learn a lot of racisms very quickly.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Quite frankly, the context of his words should be considered if a penalty is being discussed. I don't see anything malicious in his post, as he was referring to a friend and thus simply used in a way that is meant to be friendly and endearing. Hence simply telling him that it's offensive in England should be enough.

Dr. Dwayne

Quite frankly, the context of his words should be considered if a penalty is being discussed. I don't see anything malicious in his post, as he was referring to a friend and thus simply used in a way that is meant to be friendly and endearing. Hence simply telling him that it's offensive in England should be enough.
Yes, one would hope that's what any FA investigation determines.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Any word that derives from the word negro should not be allowed in U.K. I’m very happy with that opinion. Cavani agrees too.

if you find being an anti racist dull, again that is reflective of you and not me. Seems like you have to find new language I’m afraid
you should go teach morality classes to your mother

up yours

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Again lying by accrediting false words to me. Stop it or I'll report you next time

I think language that hurt's people because of their skin color should be banned.
And I think that people who are against this or refuse to change after being asked to are inherently racist.
Hope that is clear.
You started by comparing it the Suarez Incident

you had not heard of a word you wanted banned and then agreed with me you hadn’t heard of the word. I was not lying.

You want to ban the word negrito because it sounds like the word negro and you don’t know or have very limited knowledge of (considering you’ve known of the word no longer than a day) the word and are trying to translate into something you don’t like.

reported for laughing at your silliness, I never.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It was a course on using filler words in foreign languages.
The course was communication for management. The idea that it was a Chinese professor teaching Chinese was just disinformation that was propagated at the time in order to further fuel the ‘pc gone mad’ brigade. Just to be clear I’m not accusing you of propagating it for malicious reasons.

Despite him being exonerated, the suspension in itself was absurd. It is not really common to suspend professors, that happens only in the rarest of occasions. Actually, I do not know a single professor who has been suspended in my 10 years of being at universities.
I don’t doubt you but that’s just a small anecdotal window. I could post thousands of cases where University faculty have been suspended while an investigation takes place. I have serious qualms about how Greg Patton’s employers handled the investigation and the initial comments they made, but suspending him certainly isn’t one of them.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

you had not heard of a word you wanted banned and then agreed with me you hadn’t heard of the word. I was not lying.

You want to ban the word negrito because it sounds like the word negro and you don’t know or have very limited knowledge of (considering you’ve known of the word no longer than a day) the word and are trying to translate into something you don’t like.

What does the word mean in you understanding? I'm genuinely curious.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

There is clearly an issue with the word in a UK context. MUFC and the player have both apologised. Cavani will face some sort of sanction.

Thats it. Nothing more to say.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Hola amigo, how long without hearing from you. I hope you are well. I imagine that you also had these similar "accidents". The classic "estoy bueno" for example, and surely your friends have vilely deceived you
Always have a bit of a smirk when I hear people shagging various inanimate things. Even buses and planes.
:lol:

antohan

That isn’t my point. How the feck are you missing it?

You’re tying affectionally calling your friends black in with other affectionate insults. Over here we’d say “you lanky prick” or “you bald bastard” but it’s never acceptable to say “oh come here you black cnut”. It’s not the intention behind it at all - that much has been made clear. It’s just wrong to say that, and proves that deep rooted racism is still an issue in your country.

In a way, be thankful it’s more down to things like this than say disproportionate incarceration or even death by cop.
Keep the prick, the bastard and the cnut to yourself. It's rarely that way, that's typically what would indicate negative intent.

It's simply black, and it's in relative terms, more a case of dark(er) than even black. We could easily be calling Bruno Fernandes negro or negrito.

Eire Red United

Probably not the smartest thing to post but it shouldnt be that big a deal. He clearly didn’t mean it in any racist way and only an idiot would think he did.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The phrase is known in the UK as something with negative connotations, rightly or wrongly. Pretending otherwise is ridiculous.
Hang on there - you mean "negrito"?

If so - come on. The only reason that term is known in the UK is because of the Evra-Suarez incident. And Suarez didn't actually use it (for that matter).

If the general public has gotten the idea that "Negrito" is a racist term, that's because...well, what have you? It's ignorance, isn't it? It's because people don't know how it's actually used by native speakers.

And - again - I am well aware of the potentially problematic aspects of using the term. That's something else - and well worth a debate.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
FA will likely ban him just to appease the stupid people it offends but it’s not in anyway racist and absolutely not comparable to the Suarez incident.

cavani shouldn’t even have to apologise.

RedDevil@84

I think language that hurt's people because of their skin color should be banned.
And I think that people who are against this or refuse to change after being asked to are inherently racist.
You are certainly having a mare in this thread.
I am already feeling hurt that the color of the font I type in is "that color which must not be named"

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
So what I've learned from this thread is that Spain and South America are like an episode of 'It was alright in the 70s'
En ese entonces estaba bien, es justo lo que dijiste. Nunca tuvimos ninguna de estas tonterías de PC.

¡Copos de nieve sangrientos!

MattofManchester

There's some weird cultural appropriation going on here by telling others of a different language what a word in their own language means.

I'm sure this can be cleared up using a native speaker or expert who can tell us more, not some twit who saw the word and felt a need to be outraged.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
So, after 37 pages, have the FA actually launched anything, or is this again one of those social media trials?
After this the FA people will celebrate and drink some Black Label whisky.
Ridiculous stuff being conjured up in the world of football ! :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.