FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

This is crazy. Cavani used the negrito to reply to someone whom he knows who is also Uruguayan. Someone who now is said to be white? He also used Spanish.

It's like the time Ian Chappell nearly hit Javed Miandad after Chappell was bowled by Ejaz Fakih. Different languages should be used in context. What is not acceptable in English may have a different meaning in another language.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You're making an ass of yourself. Cavani didn't go up to some random BAME bloke and call him negrito, did he? No, he used it in an affectionate, harmless and completely appropriate manner to a fellow South American.

It's perfectly possible to see and acknowledge that the word can have some unfortunate connotations to people not familiar with it, and that it could come off as offensive, while also acknowledging that punishing a South American person for using a completely innocuous word in an affectionate manner towards a fellow South American is completely ludicrous.

You can't just go around punishing people because normal and inoffensive words in their language might look or sound offensive to a non-speaker.
I think words like this should be unlawful in UK. Sue me for it.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The breakdown would be, more likely, Schwarzenegg / er

...meaning a person from Schwarzenegg.

Schwarz = black
Egg = potentially different meanings, but most likely "ridge" (it also means "edge", as in a knife's edge).

Schwarzenegger = a person from the black ridge (i.e. a person from a place - a farm, homestead - on or perhaps more likely under/below the black ridge).
Likely correct seeing as he's from Austria. Cheers!

Schwarzen would be a correct adjective and there's some debate wheteher egg is a regional dialect similar to corner (eck) but your summation seems the most correct that its in reference to being from a particular region of the name Schwarzenegg.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
the thing you don't understand is that i wouldn't call "Negrito" to someone that will feel offended by it
as we, latin americans, tried to explain on this thread, is that we don't use it in an offensive manner and we wouldn't use it to a person that would be offended by it
BUT the idea that you, your goverment or the feck, has a say on how i call my friends, and has a right to teach the latin americans how to speak is stupid, xenophobist and dangerous

btw, if i go to england i will tell you, i will meet with you and i will call my brother "Negrito" because that's his nickname in front of anyone
You are spot on, but unfortunately in our country we have hate speech laws which do try to dictate what you can and cannot say to people, and they are completly subjective laws. Either the person on the "recieving end" can subjectively decide it was offensive or not, or the authorities, as in the case with the FA decide it instead. I do find it very ironic that a lot of these so-called anti-racists are being rather racist, and lecturing South Americans like you and one of the other posters who is actually FROM Uruguay, how to speak your own language and to other South Americans. Yes, the word translates into something negative in English, but so does the name Bender in German. Context should always matter, unfortunately, in this country it matters less and less, they just want to punish out of fear of being racist.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Ah. So not quite the billy big bollox after all. Thought so.
Inside the UK, you have to abide by its customs. Sorry, you dont get to decide.
i get to decide wether i call my brother or my friend "negrito", here, there and everywhere

and seriously, talking about "billy big bollox" on an internet forum? who are you? the bruce lee of the web?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Let's meet up next time you're in London, I'll take you to Croydon, Peckham or Hackney to meet some of my mates and I'll watch you call them negrito. Ill make sure a policeman is also nearby to ajudicate. Let's see what happens shall we?

Do let me know when you're coming.
Talk about a false equivalency. Cavani didn’t call a Londoner negrito. He said it to a Spanish speaking fan while thanking him.

Context mate.

he basically said “thanks mate” and people lose their shit. People need to chill. Uruguayan’s in this thread have even said what he said was not remotely offensive. So just stop looking for outrage.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
i get to decide wether i call my brother or my friend "negrito", here, there and everywhere

and seriously, talking about "billy big bollox" on an internet forum? who are you? the bruce lee of the web?
And I've asked you to come to the UK and do so, and you'll be subjected to the consequences, just like Cavani has been, in his case, unwittingly.

Re: Bruce Lee: it was you hurling personal insults regarding my mother just a few post ago.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Let's meet up next time you're in London, I'll take you to Croydon, Peckham or Hackney to meet some of my mates and I'll watch you call them negrito. Ill make sure a policeman is also nearby to ajudicate. Let's see what happens shall we?

This post is a little patronizing.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Talk about a false equivalency. Cavani didn’t call a Londoner negrito. He said it to a Spanish speaking fan while thanking him.

Context mate.
I’ve tried to explain this mate, but he wants certain words banned so it’s pointless, even words that aren’t British but might offend British.

MattofManchester

Ah. So not quite the billy big bollox after all. Thought so.
Inside the UK, you have to abide by its customs. Sorry, you dont get to decide.
Oh look, it's the country renowned for ravaging and pillaging countless civilizations and still living with the monopoly that gave them acting as if they're some kind of moral authority in the world.

How convenient for you.

cyberman

You are spot on, but unfortunately in our country we have hate speech laws which do try to dictate what you can and cannot say to people, and they are completly subjective laws. Either the person on the "recieving end" can subjectively decide it was offensive or not, or the authorities, as in the case with the FA decide it instead. I do find it very ironic that a lot of these so-called anti-racists are being rather racist, and lecturing South Americans like you and one of the other posters who is actually FROM Uruguay, how to speak your own language and to other South Americans. Yes, the word translates into something negative in English, but so does the name Bender in German. Context should always matter, unfortunately, in this country it matters less and less, they just want to punish out of fear of being racist.
Spot on. If we used this way of thinking for the phrases we say there would be racist accusations thrown about every week.
I remember reading a theory a long time ago that the phrase long time, no see was a racist term coined by British soldiers when mocking Chinese people.
Imagine waking up one morning and being told you would be suspended for tweeting that.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
there's a also a huge island called "Negro" in the Filipines
imagine a guy trying to explain were he is from :lol:
English Authorities (according to some posters here): "nope, you don't come from "Negro", and, btw you are fined for being racist, you fecking underdeveloped person"

spiriticon

The funny thing is Cavani and his mate are probably taking the piss out of the British media in a private WhatsApp message right now, complete with 'tea sipping' emojis :lol:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I think words like this should be unlawful in UK. Sue me for it.
mate just no, Who are you to tell people they can’t speak their native language to a friend on their own social media.

especially when Cavani has literally done NOTHING wrong.

imagine bringing in a law for that.

Welbeckham

Why is Cavani not adapting to current English culture with his choice of word the issue? It’s (global) social media after all. He’s still Uruguayan and allowed to refer to his fellow Uruguayans the way he wants, as long as it’s not discriminatory in any way.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
And I've asked you to come to the UK and do so, and you'll be subjected to the consequences, just like Cavani has been, in his case, unwittingly.

Re: Bruce Lee: it was you hurling personal insults regarding my mother just a few post ago.
well, let your mum decide if she's offended by it
i guess she's not that stupid

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
If there's one thing that can sort out such a complicated debate about the nuances of language, etymology and cultural context, it will be sammsky's mates in Croydon.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
there's a also a huge island called "Negro" in the Filipines
imagine a guy trying to explain were he is from :lol:
English Authorities (according to some posters here): "nope, you don't come from "Negro", and, btw you are fined for being racist, you fecking underdeveloped person"
:lol:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Oh look, it's the country renowned for ravaging and pillaging countless civilizations and still living with the monopoly that gave them acting as if they're some kind of moral authority in the world. How convenient for you.
I am the furthest you'll ever find from being a British imperialist :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dear oh dear :lol::lol::lol:

Nope, my gripe in this instance is caucasian South Americans thinking they have a right to call other people by their skin colour and that being even remotely acceptable in 21st century.

mu4c_20le

The context of that post is @Marcosdeto saying he would say this word in UK anytime he wants.

Context mate.
He wasn't suggesting to say it to random people on the streets though, just friends and family. Which is what Cavani did here. You could say literally anything friendly to some random bloke in those places you listed and still get into trouble...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Sounds like your mates are really nice guys to hang around with. Also, why don't you take care of him yourself if you're so tough?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:lol: This thread is worth it for your stories alone.
Not as funny probably but once had to go for an intervention at a business which was in serious trouble. I had been working for a few days with the different members of the management staff and got them all together to share my views. They were a bit nervous of course as some of them could be in trouble and maybe facing the sack.

I didn't think that was the case, just needed to get an action plan together and everyone on board so in order to ease the tension I decided to draw them into the conversation, make them participate. After a few opening statements I turned to one and asked "Remember?", and he looked completely stunned. Surely he had to? So I insisted "Remember?". Nothing, radio silence, try again "Remember?!?!?!?!". Nope.

Moved along and tried to draw another in... she couldn't remember either. Another... neither. It all started getting incredibly tense, they exchanged these bewildered looks between them and I couldn't quite fathom the collective case of amnesia. One of them was on the verge of breaking down as he told me "I am in remembrance". Oddball, who speaks like that? I decided they were a bunch of amoebas so, exhausted by it all, I handed over to one of them so he could talk about his department.

Within a few minutes he used the word remember, I recognised it straightaway as I actually knew it. So what the feck had I been yapping at them all this time?

Se acuerda? = Spanish for remember
SE ACORDA?!?!?!?!?!?! my made up Portuguese version which actually means wake up

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The context of that post is @Marcosdeto saying he would say this word in UK anytime he wants.

Context mate.
Marcos calling his friend who shares & understands the slang/culture, negrito, would not be the same as calling a random black person he’s never met from London negrito though, would it?

The former is fine, the latter I agree would be inappropriate.

I don’t know what it is you’re campaigning for here? Speech police?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
well, let your mum decide if she's offended by it
i guess she's not that stupid
so again you can't resist dragging this into disgusting and irrelevant personal dimensions, in an attempt to deflect the vacuousness of your point of view.

RedDevil@84

All this talk of ban certain words reminds me of the "bastard" dialogue from the Bodyline series

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Idiotic post. He should know better.

Man, why people keep making these mistakes?!
What mistake?!
This is no mistake and he got a photo of himself so he's not insulting anyone - for all we know his mother may have always lovingly called him negrito !

The rules that made Manchester United demand Cavani take down his post using then word, making him apologise, and giving the FA grounds to section him?
Well then, Manchester United are fools in apologising for nothing at all !

Water Melon

I hope Cavani takes the piss out of FA. If he is fined or suspended, he should sue them. Feckers are claiming him to be something he is not. Should never ever let this go under a carpet. Teach them to learn and investigate before claiming that is not there.

Withnail

No. Literally the opposite.

I don’t think this is the fight for you
Fight? Hill to die on?

I really think you're misinterpreted everything I've said to perfectly honest.

I've was referring to posts like the below and the Silva 'Chino' business.

Spanish speakers have a completely different approach to racism and diversity than British people. In Spain, for example, a corner shop is called 'el Paki' and a general-purpose shop is called 'el Chino' because they're often run by Chinese people. I believe South America is similar. In the UK that sort of language is totally frowned upon, and rightly so.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sounds like your mates are really nice guys to hang around with. Also, why don't you take care of him yourself if you're so tough?
Im not a 'negrito' so the term doesn't have the same impact on me.
Yeah, my mates are good. Thanks for thinking so.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Not in the UK you don't.
Of course he does.

You're going from one thing to another, for some reason desperate to argue and doubling down.

You didn't know the word two days ago, you can't dictate how a different culture uses it (in a non-racist, non-offensive basis) and you've already said that it's similar to Suarez before showing that you didn't know Suarez said a completely different word (never mind the meaning).

Status
Not open for further replies.