FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
The context of that post is @Marcosdeto saying he would say this word in UK anytime he wants.

Context mate.
oh no, no, no, no
i said that i would never use that word with someone that would feel offended by it
i'm not that thick to not understand that some people, righteously so, should be offended
my whole point is that we (and in this case Cavani) don't use it in a racist manner and that your goverment and, specially, you, don't have a say in how we use our language

Halftrack

I think words like this should be unlawful in UK. Sue me for it.
It's Spanish word that has literally no meaning or history of use in the UK. The root word, negro, was once borrowed from Spanish and used as a racist term, and such it's fair to say that it and derivatives there of should be avoided due to the chance of causing offence. It's unfair they should be unlawful, and people punished for using them. Context matters. Negro just means black, and has a litany of legitimate uses. Should the wine Gato Negro be forced to change its name?

Banning the word negro, let alone a derivative affectionate term, is bonkers, not to mention completely unfeasible.

It'd be like telling people they can't say 'black' because the word has been used, in combination with other words, to racially abuse.

MattofManchester

I am the furthest you'll ever find from being a British imperialist :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dear oh dear :lol::lol::lol:

Nope, my gripe in this instance is caucasian South Americans thinking they have a right to call other people by their skin colour and that being even remotely acceptable in 21st century.
And my gripe is the cultural appropriation you're inflicting by deeming the word to be offensive based on its look, because of its association with a other English word, while there have been several South Americans who have implied the word does not mean what everyone is saying it means.

A language expert can clear this up easily if the word is wrong or right, but you or any other English speaker is no authority on whether a word in a completely different language is offensive to which you've got no exposure to further than Google Translate.

I know plenty words across languages that clash between offensive in one language to completely normal in another. That doesn't mean that those that use that word are immediately deemed racist.

I also don't think Cavani, with a working brain, would openly use a word on social media that would be deemed as discriminative to any demographic.

Siorac

I think words like this should be unlawful in UK. Sue me for it.
You are the equivalent of those who go up to foreigners and shout 'this is America/England, speak English!'

You are literally trying to outlaw a Spanish speaker using the word 'black' in his own language.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The rules that made Manchester United demand Cavani take down his post using then word, making him apologise, and giving the FA grounds to section him?
Section him?

Feck me, that's a bit much even for the FA.

Or do you mean sanction? Just a couple of letters difference between words really changes the meaning doesn't it??

RoyH1

The colonialist and patronising attitude of some posters here is absolutely breathtaking. I think I'm done with this thread for the time being. I hope cooler heads prevail at the FA, but I will not hold my breath.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Im not a 'negrito' so the term doesn't have the same impact on me.
Yeah, my mates are good. Thanks for thinking so.
If they beat someone up because he called them whatever, they're definitely not good but assholes. You seem to have a fairly distorted sense of right and wrong.

Foxbatt

there's a also a huge island called "Negro" in the Filipines
imagine a guy trying to explain were he is from :lol:
English Authorities (according to some posters here): "nope, you don't come from "Negro", and, btw you are fined for being racist, you fecking underdeveloped person"
Actually it's Negros. It's called Negros by the Spanish because the people from there are darker than the people from Mindanao which is south and Luzon which is in the north.

There WAS a hue and cry by some foreigners because a Filipino boy band went to Negros on a tour and tweeted Hello Negros we are in your zone. The whole of Philippines should be banned by the British government.
I would say that if Cavani had said that to someone to his face or that person complained then he should be fined. But this is a reply to someone he knows and that person has no problems with it.
Could another country ban the word good morning and fine or jail anyone who says good morning?

Revan

Assumptionman
I am the furthest you'll ever find from being a British imperialist :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dear oh dear :lol::lol::lol:

Nope, my gripe in this instance is caucasian South Americans thinking they have a right to call other people by their skin colour and that being even remotely acceptable in 21st century.
Wasn't the guy whom Cavani called 'negrito' actually white, which means that he didn't call him by his skin color?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
oh no, no, no, no
i said that i would never use that word with someone that would feel offended by it
i'm not that thick to not understand that some people, righteously so, should be offended
my whole point is that we (and in this case Cavani) don't use it in a racist manner and that your goverment and, specially, you, don't have a say in how we use our language
just leave it mate he’s in full on meltdown mode. You won’t get this decent point through to him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Im not a 'negrito' so the term doesn't have the same impact on me.
Yeah, my mates are good. Thanks for thinking so.
That makes me a bit uncomfortable if you're trying to say that you're not black. 'I'm not a negrito' sounds fecking awful and super weird to say in this context i'm afraid. At least to me.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Calling a Uruguayan Caucasian is a bit racist my G. Latin American’s rarely identify as white.

Blind spot there bro, I reckon a 3 day ban & a education class :lol:

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Actually it's Negros. It's called Negros by the Spanish because the people from there are darker than the people from Mindanao which is south and Luzon which is in the north.

There WAS a hue and cry by some foreigners because a Filipino boy band went to Negros on a tour and tweeted Hello Negros we are in your zone. The whole of Philippines should be banned by the British government.
I would say that if Cavani had said that to someone to his face or that person complained then he should be fined. But this is a reply to someone he knows and that person has no problems with it.
Could another country ban the word good morning and fine or jail anyone who says good morning?
:lol:
well, ask sammsky1, he will tell you that mighty UK can ban you from saying that

Longshanks

Again lying by accrediting false words to me. Stop it or I'll report you next time

I think language that hurt's people because of their skin color should be banned.
And I think that people who are against this or refuse to change after being asked to are inherently racist.
Hope that is clear.
So negro translated from Spanish to English is black. So you would like the entire Spanish speaking world to not use the term black? Because its sounds like a racial slur in a different language? Is that not somewhat discriminatory? Infact is it not racial discrimination against the Spanish speaking world?

So you want to fight racism with racism?

RedDevil@84

The colonialist and patronising attitude of some posters here is absolutely breathtaking. I think I'm done with this thread for the time being. I hope cooler heads prevail at the FA, but I will not hold my breath.
This is the FA. I will be shocked if he doesn't get a 1 match ban for this.

fck

Supports
Bayern
the thing you don't understand is that i wouldn't call "Negrito" to someone that will feel offended by it
How do you know if somebody is not offended by it? Just because some people don't speak up doesn't mean that they don't secretly wish you would call them with their real names or another nickname. Happened to a friend who was given a nickname that he never appeared to have a problem with.. well it turns out that it did bother him after all.
Because those words appear to be super widespread in SA I bet there will be plenty of people who don't like being called Negrito or Gordito or whatever and will just go along with it because that's the way it is.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It's Spanish word that has literally no meaning or history of use in the UK. The root word, negro, was once borrowed from Spanish and used as a racist term, and such it's fair to say that it and derivatives there of should be avoided due to the chance of causing offence. It's unfair they should be unlawful, and people punished for using them. Context matters. Negro just means black, and has a litany of legitimate uses. Should the wine Gato Negro be forced to change its name?

Banning the word negro, let alone a derivative affectionate term, is bonkers, not to mention completely unfeasible.

It'd be like telling people they can't say 'black' because the word has been used, in combination with other words, to racially abuse.
So why did the player and club panic with the speediest ever reversal in history? Again you'll claim it was to limit damage, which it was because they both knew it is unacceptable as the cultural norms in UK football cant support it.

All of you trying to claim its fine are wrong. Else exists g UK culture, the player and club wouldn't have reacted like they did.

As for 'Gato Negro' I dont drink so have no idea of its context. But I'll post Muhammed Ali again, and say that existing European languages are rooted in white supremacy and black inferiority, and yes, over 21st century, i hope all of these will eventually become unacceptable and change.

That';s my belief and the future I hope to see.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Section him?

Feck me, that's a bit much even for the FA.

Or do you mean sanction? Just a couple of letters difference between words really changes the meaning doesn't it??
Judging by his other posts he probably does mean section :lol:

Poor Edinson just wanted to thank a fan, was probably buzzing after his brace, now he’s being tore down by his own fans. State of this country.

Siorac

and say that existing European languages are rooted in white supremacy and black inferiority, and yes, over 21st century, i hope all of these will eventually become unacceptable and change.
Wait, what? You're hoping existing European languages become unacceptable?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
:lol: Christ mate you have humiliated yourself in here, put down the mobile phone and go and read a dictionary or something.
Ive humiliated myself by finding racial language disgraceful? Again, if you think that, its because of your own beliefs.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
If an apology can prevent an impending shitstorm and avoid a punishment then they are no fools at all
It's like United are admitting that he is wrong, and he isn't wrong at all .

One should also see the context of the innocous tweet itself - the guy has jus won the game for us and is tweeting to his friend and for all we know they joke and call each other negrito or whatever!

This is so stupid.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
How do you know if somebody is not offended by it? Just because some people don't speak up doesn't mean that they don't secretly wish you would call them with their real names or another nickname. Happened to a friend who was given a nickname that he never appeared to have a problem with.. well it turns out that it did bother him after all.
Because those words appear to be super widespread in SA I bet there will be plenty of people who don't like being called Negrito or Gordito or whatever and will just go along with it because that's the way it is.
Because i use it with friends and family

nicknames are mostly given by family and most people, when they introduce themselves, tell you what their nickname is

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Is Sammysky doesn’t have his Tagline changed to something song the lines of ‘Fiesty Negrito’, “Conspiratorial Negrito” or ‘Negritopolitan Man of Mystery’.... all mods should resign.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Oh, brother...(or sister! or whatever the appropriate term is...broster?)

Anyway...oh..."Caucasian South Americans"...good luck with that.

I will only mention that my impression is that the term "negrito" (or "negrita", the female version - and for that matter the versions "negro" and "negra") is far from unproblematic among native speakers (wherever they may come from - this is a term used by millions of people, from multiple countries).

It's being discussed at the moment - all over the place.

Like I said above - look at the J-Lo thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.