FA to trial removal of heading at all age groups under 12.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It’s been talked about for a while and I’m glad they’re taking the first steps.

In professional football guidance was issued last season which was intended to limit higher force heading training, can’t remember the exact amount and no one I’ve spoken to has followed it. Still it’s good that there’s more of a conversation around the issue as more of the data is coming out.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Given there are already moves towards professional footballers cutting back the amount of heading they do in training, stopping it entirely for under 12s makes sense to me.

I highly doubt kids love heading so much that they'll engage in commensurate back-alley training sessions.

More interesting is to what extent we'll see further moves in that direction as time goes on.

Woodzy

So I assume this basically being done with a view to remove heading from the game entirely within the next decade?

Is heading really that much of a problem though? Or is it just a measure to prevent head collisions?

Chief123

So I assume this basically being done with a view to remove heading from the game entirely within the next decade?

Is heading really that much of a problem though? Or is it just a measure to prevent head collisions?
It’s weird that heading in football would be the focus when I would imagine sport like rugby is a lot more dangerous with regards to head on collisions and injuries. Also, boxing.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I loved heading as a kid. Being the tallest almost every time I stepped on pitch, I was able to score enough headers to call myself an attacking midfielder even though I was a dm and sometimes even a cb.

crossy1686

career ending
So where is the evidence?
Does there have to be concrete evidence? There's direct correlation between repeated head impact (trauma) and dementia, isn't that enough to suggest that children should wait a couple of years before being coached to head the ball?

Maybe protecting them during these tender years of development stops early onset dementia when they're 65? Maybe it doesn't, but wouldn't you rather people didn't get dementia if there is a slight chance waiting a couple of years has a big affect down the line?

Regardless of all that, there's no reason for underdeveloped 12 year olds to be learning heading anyway, they need to get technically good with the ball at their feet, reading the game, passing and movement. So even if there is zero evidence it's still better for them to focus elsewhere at this age if we want players to be more technical, like they do in almost all of Europe.

MUW4Eva

Does this explain why the National team is shite though? Could be directly related I feel.

#saveheaders
Huh??

We are through to the quater final against Spain on Wednesday, how does that make us rubbish??

luke511

They'd be better off banning mitre footballs from grass roots, I got the white flash of death every time I headed one from a goal kick.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Me and my mate used to head the ball as much as poss. Not tall, we were both just really accurate with it. Are we fecked?

Trex

ETH saw this coming soon we'll be pairing Martinez with Timber.
Our manager saw this coming. Visionary!!

Trequarista10

When I was a kid in the 90s the balls were so much harder and heavier than the ones today, it was actually terrifying trying to head the ball until about 13/14 or so, it felt like headbutting a wall when some big kid hoofed it in the air. Those were also the days of playing on full size pitches and full size goals from about age 8 :houllier:

NHLYR 1878

Ate there any studies in existence that show children that have been playing football since post-1990 have developed CTE as a result of heading?

I'm not being condescending, I'm just intrigued and haven't found anything via google.

Suffice it to say that a heading a football made in the 90s (maybe late 80s even) and beyond, was a whole lot different than heading a ball made in the 60s and prior when it was made from pig's bladder.

Thus it's understandable that players from that era have developed CTE as heading a vintage football in the winter must have been akin to heading a brick.

Maybe make head coverings an option, although not compulsory, depends what the science says I guess.

Withnail

If it reduces the risk of CTE in later life I'm all for it. It's ruining lives. For those wondering what the point is I'm fairly sure it's to do with kids below that age having weaker neck muscles so heading the ball repeatedly has a greater risk of brain injury. However, as they say in the article they don't know at what age heading the ball is safe. It may not be safe at any age so it may need to be removed from the game completely.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ate there any studies in existence that show children that have been playing football since post-1990 have developed CTE as a result of heading?

I'm not being condescending, I'm just intrigued and haven't found anything via google.

Suffice it to say that a heading a football made in the 90s (maybe late 80s even) and beyond, was a whole lot different than heading a ball made in the 60s and prior when it was made from pig's bladder.

Thus it's understandable that players from that era have developed CTE as heading a vintage football in the winter must have been akin to heading a brick.

Maybe make head coverings an option, although not compulsory, depends what the science says I guess.
Regarding the idea that modern footballs would make a difference, it's interesting to note that the idea that modern footballs are innately lighter is a myth. As per the rules they've had to be 14-16oz since the 1930's. What has changed is the material and the extent to which they absorb additional moisture weight.

However, as a result modern football also travel at greater speed. Which is a bigger issue as studies indicate that speed is more of a factor in the force experienced by the head during a header than the weight or material of the football. Which makes sense to my ultra-basic secondary-school level knowledge of physics as the formula for kinetic energy has it depending linearly on mass and quadratically on velocity.

In fact the author of the Glasgow study that established the link between playing football and the increased risk of developing alzheimers/dementia has suggested the modern football may make it more of an issue:

"You could even argue that the modern synthetic ball may be even more of a problem because it travels faster and doesn’t slow down, and may have an even bigger problem for people playing in 2020 than who were in 1970 when they get to their sixties and seventies."

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think the arguement is most kids heads are grown, but their necks aren't strong enough to support the impact.

most of the time the ball is just hitting them in the head and your brain is taking most of the shock, where as when you get more muscle strength you can control it better.

I know for a fact I never used to enjoy heading the ball, sometimes you'd miss time it and get it land on the top of your head and it would hurt for ages.

I'm not sure it could ever be fully banned from football, but it's also not that necessary to learn it that early on IMO.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What's next, none contact boxing?
There is a massive push in martial arts in general for less contact on younger kids. In kickboxing for example full contact is adult only, and juniors only do semi and light contact.
It's the same with junior mma. I've seen kids pulled for excessive contact in junior boxing too.

Hughes35

I've actually no issue with kids not heading. Their brains and bodies are still developing + they aren't old enough to make their own choice regarding heading.

The concern is that this will almost definitely spread up the age groups and probably end up impacting the professional and adult games which would be a real shame and spoil the sport.

I'm not sure what to think of this. It's undoubtedly a problem but it will change the game so much as this eventually and inevitably filters to the adult game.

It could be restricted to kids like boxing where kids cant fight until 10 and must wear a head guard until 18, but i doubt it. Too many ex pros with head issues.

There is a massive push in martial arts in general for less contact on younger kids. In kickboxing for example full contact is adult only, and juniors only do semi and light contact.
It's the same with junior mma. I've seen kids pulled for excessive contact in junior boxing too.
I think any good school would do that regardless of rules. 20 years ago I was fighting only semi contact until i was 18, and then most sparring sessions remained as such.

Heading a football does present a problem but i don't think its as clear cut as combat sports.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
From my personal experiences of playing football, A good official football that meets the standard probably soften the blow, but we know most kids plays with cheap knockoff and in an unprotected and unregulated match where shits can happen.

Park football, wet cheap football, unsupervised heading technique, head on head collisions are bound to happen. A full forced football meeting your head is probably dangerous so in that case I agree.

And for those of you who needs study, that's just common sense that knocking your head continuously with force would be detrimental to your brain. If you ever head a ball in full flight you'll know how much that fecking hurts.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Game has already changed from a decade ago.

Watch games from then and incredible how most goal kicks were just punts up to halfway line where two players would contest a header in centre circle. Nowadays vast majority of goal kicks are keepers tapping it to a CB in the box and then playing it out.

That's a pretty simple step that's eliminated some unnecessary aerial duels that add little to the game.

Probably Wenger's idea of kick ins will get a proper trial in next few seasons so that can eliminate header flick ons from throw ins (or just ban Pulis as manager).

Can't see for a while headers being banned from crosses/set pieces though.

Football still needs to get concussion protocols applied correctly first.

mctrials23

Seems sensible to me. Same as making kids play against kids their own size rather than against a kid a foot taller than them. Same as prioritising skills over physicality in children.

reko

Well, I headed so many boots, teammates head and fair few goal posts while below age of 7 and i turned out ok (some occasional uncontrollable voiding aside). People getting too woke nowadays. Soon they going to replace the ball with beach balls.