FA Youth Cup

Mick1991

Absolute stonker!

Cheers to all the lads who kept me updated through the game, couldn't get a stream at all tonight!

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Paul Paul Pogba
He's better than Gerrard, and Fabregas too
And pisses on Didier Drogba

Decotron

Anyone see Fergie's interview about the current crop last night? I thought it was quite interesting, he completely downplayed his expectations but at the same time he had a very wry smile. He almost winked saying theres a few there with good ability!

I think after the disappointment in the youth cup over the last 3 years the club are downplaying expectations somewhat.

Pogba looked miles ahead of his age group last night. The thing that impresses me most is his overall ability.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Anyone see Fergie's interview about the current crop last night? I thought it was quite interesting, he completely downplayed his expectations but at the same time he had a very wry smile. He almost winked saying theres a few there with good ability!

I think after the disappointment in the youth cup over the last 3 years the club are downplaying expectations somewhat.

Pogba looked miles ahead of his age group last night. The thing that impresses me most is his overall ability.
He was taking the piss towards the end, wasn't he?

Hopefully he'll get a few reserve games in the coming months.

MPTutd

So what did he actually say? Did he say anything about any players in particular.

This is the best youth side we have had in years.

datura

So what did he actually say? Did he say anything about any players in particular.

He didn't say a lot, he mentioned Cofie, Keane, Pogba and Morrison from what I remember. He also said you need a good goalkeeper to win it (maybe a reference to the error by Devlin last year v Blackburn?).

Last years side was better in my opinion as it was more balanced and the Welbeck/Macheda one v Chelsea a couple of years back was also very good.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He didn't say a lot, he mentioned Cofie, Keane, Pogba and Morrison from what I remember. He also said you need a good goalkeeper to win it (maybe a reference to the error by Devlin last year v Blackburn?).

Last years side was better in my opinion as it was more balanced and the Welbeck/Macheda one v Chelsea a couple of years back was also very good.
And Tunnicliffe Sir Alex :p

I think though as a group we're very strong even though we've loaned players out and chopped and changed we can add players in. Great to watch, just frustrating the fixtures are so inconsistant

datura

I think we're a bit vulnerable at the back and there isn't any keeper that fills you with too much confidence. They can be very exciting to watch though, should be a great game midweek v West Ham.

They are at home tomorrow at 11am v Wolves I think, will probably be a much changed line-up from the youth cup side.

Decotron

I think we're a bit vulnerable at the back and there isn't any keeper that fills you with too much confidence. They can be very exciting to watch though, should be a great game midweek v West Ham.

They are at home tomorrow at 11am v Wolves I think, will probably be a much changed line-up from the youth cup side.
Other than the last 5-10mins I thought Thorpe was excellent again. A very exciting prospect who seems to go under the radar more often than not....

lysglimt

Scout

I disagree - it's not an exceptionally good youth side - but there are many very good players in the side.

Johnstone conceedes too many soft goals...

In defense only Thorpe is generally very good

Centrally the team is very strong - but on the flanks we aren't very good

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
how far in terms of youth are you going? The teams change so much it's very difficult to get consistancy but we've a number of stand out players. We do have a number onloan as well obviously

datura

Includes the quotes about the players referred to previously in this thread:

Boss backs U18s cup bid

Sir Alex Ferguson believes United have a good chance of winning the FA Youth Cup this season, for what would be the fourth time in his tenure at Old Trafford.

The Reds have a great history in the competition, having won it on more occasions than any other club – nine - including the first five years from its inception in 1953 when Sir Matt Busby’s famous Babes were unbeatable.

Sir Alex recognises the importance of the competition and hopes Paul McGuinness’s young charges can build on last week's third-round victory over Portsmouth by winning away at West Ham on Wednesday night (19 January).

“We have a decent team with one or two excellent players,” Sir Alex told MUTV. “I think we’re strong in the strikers department for example, where we have William Keane and John Cofie. Then we’ve got Paul Pogba and Ravel Morrison [in midfield]… we have a chance this year, we’re hopeful [of winning it].”

The boss acknowledges its eight years since United went all the way in the FA Youth Cup – and will no doubt be aware that arch-rivals Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool (twice) and Manchester City have all had their names etched on it in the intervening period.

“Kieran Richardson was in the team when we last won the Youth Cup, in 2003,” he recalled. “Before then we won it with Phil Neville and John Curtis in 1995, and of course, with the 1992 team. Let’s hope we have a good run this year.”

The match is live on MUTV. Coverage starts 18:30 GMT (KO 19:00 GMT).

lysglimt

Scout
Our 03-winners had quite a few decent players

Kieran Richardson, Phil Bardsley, Paul McShane, David Jones, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Tom Heaton those who did best

Collett could have gone far - Mark Howard is doing well in Denmark - and a few players who play in the lower divisions like Picken, Johnson and Poole - and a few who are out of the league system.

MPTutd

Anyone going to the game tomorrow night.

I am, and I am really looking forward to it.

It is also live on MUTV. KO at 7pm.

Virtuoso

Anyone going to the game tomorrow night.

I am, and I am really looking forward to it.

It is also live on MUTV. KO at 7pm.
Yeah, I should be going too. Going to buy the tickets at the gate, not expecting much of a rush.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Team versus West Ham: Johnstone; M Keane, Thorpe (c), Fornasier, Blackett; Cole, Tunnicliffe, Pogba, van Velzen; Cofie, W Keane. Subs: Jacob (gk), Fryers, Lingard, Massacci, Hendrie.

Same as against Pompey so.

Laphroaig

I never watch the youth team, only the reserves, but I'll keep an eye on this match while working. I'd appreciate if someone could say something about who the most promising players are, and what sort of players they are.

datura

SAF said if we progress the next home tie will be at Old Trafford.

@ Laph

You should have seen most of the best players already featuring for the reserves - Will Keane, Pogba, Thorpe, Tunnicliffe and Cofie.

Laphroaig

SAF said if we progress the next home tie will be at Old Trafford.

@ Laph

You should have seen most of the best players already featuring for the reserves - Will Keane, Pogba, Thorpe, Tunnicliffe and Cofie.
Yeah, but I watched the reserves more last season, so haven't seen much of Pogba, and Keane only for a game or two.

Of course names like Fornasier and Pogba are well known to me, since their transfers made more noise than the Brits'. Has Pogba justified the ***ping directed at him? Who is van Velzen? Who are your three "favourites" in the line-up? (I expect Pogba and Will Keane to be two of them, heard lots of good things about both of them, and they look promising from the little I've seen.)

cj_sparky

Has Larnell Cole, shot up a bit? He looks a lot taller than when I last see him play.