Fabian Ruiz

AndySmith1990

Eh? I can have all the ambitions in the world but if I can't afford an education and barely get by on subsistence living, all the ambitions won't help me get there unless I turn to crime or be lucky as hell.

If you think a state-funded organisation owning a football club doesn't make a difference then I have a bridge I can sell you. Where would City be now without their state-funded resources? Yo-yo club.
Not sure what you're waffling about. We make enough revenue to be successful. The owners simply don't care about that

CallyRed

When will people learn not to believe every fecker on Twitter who says we are linked to X player.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Sanches was going nowhere outside of PSG, even though PSG struggled for that deal he was willing to to put Milan aside until PSG were completely out. Regarding Vitinha he seems to be pretty good but he doesn't fit with the profile of players we need. To some extent the presence of Bruno limits our options, there are players that could help us in a different set up but that likely excludes Bruno.
PSG were only interested in Sanches after Campos arrived. And you don’t know if United could have convinced him or not. Vitinha would have improved us but Im happy with Eriksen on a free.

Main point was they signed 3 midfielders for not alot of money. Some seem to think these things are impossible

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not sure what you're waffling about. We make enough revenue to be successful. The owners simply don't care about that
And we spend the revenues that we make, our issues have little to do with ambition. One obvious issue with our midfield is that the players we currently have are not that well rounded which limits the possible combinations and the type of players that we can target. The other issue is that we routinely spend a fortune on relatively average players which has mid term consequences, it limits our ability to sell them if it doesn't work and limits our future funds.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
And we spend the revenues that we make, our issues have little to do with ambition. One obvious issue with our midfield is that the players we currently have are not that well rounded which limits the possible combinations and the type of players that we can target. The other issue is that we routinely spend a fortune on relatively average players which has mid term consequences, it limits our ability to sell them if it doesn't work and limits our future funds.
I wish this notion that the Glazers don't spend would die a horrible death. Our issue is not the amount, it's who we (used to) spend it on

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Carrick was exactly that type of player.
The thing that made Carrick so good is that he was able to do both roles. Good enough defensively to be the main defensive midfielder, and good enough on the ball to be our main playmaker (although obviously he played second fiddle when next to Scholes). There are obviously midfielders who are/were better in one aspect than him, but very very few could match him in both. What I'd give to have a young Michael Carrick at the base of our midfield.

With it being pretty much impossible to find someone that provides that near-perfect balance, we have to choose to prefer one or the other. Much of the fanbase seem to want us to favour the defensive side of things, whereas ETH certainly seems to favour the ball-playing ability. Which should hopefully be fine as long as the player next to him does a good amount of defensive work himself.

Xaviboy

Our recruitment is shambles. PSG taking piss with number of players they have for midfield.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I wish this notion that the Glazers don't spend would die a horrible death. Our issue is not the amount, it's who we (used to) spend it on
But who can spend 40million quid and have the sit in the bench as 3rd choice?
Resources also ensure that there is oy a marginal drop-off after your first 11.
Also allows you to correct for your botchups. With the Woodward's disaster we have very little rope to play with.
Bet City, psg or now Newcastle will have an infinite length of rope to make the necessary course correction if they were inflated with a similar disaster.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
But who can spend 40million quid and have the sit in the bench as 3rd choice?
Resources also ensure that there is oy a marginal drop-off after your first 11.
Also allows you to correct for your botchups. With the Woodward's disaster we have very little rope to play with.
Bet City, psg or now Newcastle will have an infinite length of rope to make the necessary course correction if they were inflated with a similar disaster.
Don't think this touches the point I was trying to make, but of course you're right having a limitless budget somewhat reduces the risk of expensive signings. Just look at City buying a new £50m defender every season until they found a pairing that works

Cassidy

We also pay out dividends and pay off debt. Overall I agree but you seem to be suggesting we couldn’t sell and replace a midfielder to give more rounded options, which isn’t true

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Don't think this touches the point I was trying to make, but of course you're right having a limitless budget somewhat reduces the risk of expensive signings. Just look at City buying a new £50m defender every season until they found a pairing that works
I agree about the 1.3billion spent. The glazers can't be accused of being like an owner like an Ashley.

Nobody hits a home run with every CEO/regime.
Having unlimited resources would have allowed us to do any course correction without skipping a beat.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Look at how cheap PSG revamped their entire Midfield.

Meanwhile look at us......
Both right. We spend money, we just spend it awfully.

I had hoped having a Football Director would help change this. However, so far, it's just more of the same.

OmarUnited4ever

For these two positions they essentially have Verratti, Sanches, Vitinha, Paredes, Gueye, Herrera, Danilo, Rafinha, Dina Ebimbe, Zaire Emery and likely Draxler.
Indeed, Rafinha and Drexel can also play centrally in a 343/523 formations, but I think they are also on the transfer list too.

Let's see what PSG do with regards to outgoings, they need to clear out the additional midfielders they hoarded unnecessarily

Acole9

Outstanding
Going by how people react to news in the FDJ thread: “It’s in the bag :drool:
Wouldn't surprise me. Even if De Jong was presented with a Chelsea shirt they'd probably claim it's not a good enough source judging from what I've seen of that thread.

laughtersassassin

Both right. We spend money, we just spend it awfully.

I had hoped having a Football Director would help change this. However, so far, it's just more of the same.
Tot be fair we spend less and less these days.

We on. 45 mil net spend or something with a squad that needs another 5 good players pronto.

But yes we could also spend better.

Main thing is we waste dall the money in previous years and now the new manager gets fecked over.

Red00012

All started and completed within 24 hours … back to the FDJ thread I guess

JPRouve

Scout
We also pay out dividends and pay off debt. Overall I agree but you seem to be suggesting we couldn’t sell and replace a midfielder to give more rounded options, which isn’t true
In order to sell and replace players you need to have buyers, it has nothing to do with ambitions.

Cassidy

In order to sell and replace players you need to have buyers, it has nothing to do with ambitions.
Its reported we turned down offer for McTominay this summer because we see him as essential to our plans.
One thing is I never mentioned ambitions, Im saying it is not impossible with a proper plan and also doesn’t need to cost a lot of money

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Do you not think repeatedly spending it poorly is linked to ambition? If the glazers truly gave a shit about our pretty horrendous results to resource ratio due to the ineptitude of footballing decisions made do you think maybe they’d have actually made tangible change to the decision making powers? If a company isn’t performing usually changes are made. Woodward left of his own accord and our new team are people here before so you’d have to assume from their perspective we are performing. Todd Boehly has come in, decided to give whatever the manager needs to compete in one season and on top of that is doing everything he can to get Michael Edwards - a proven winner - for the future. When have we ever shown ambition like that under this ownership? Every season the message is it’s a process and we can’t do everything in one summer.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Do you not think repeatedly spending it poorly is linked to ambition? If the glazers truly gave a shit about our pretty horrendous results to resource ratio due to the ineptitude of footballing decisions made do you think maybe they’d have actually made tangible change to the decision making powers? If a company isn’t performing usually changes are made. Woodward left of his own accord and our new team are people here before so you’d have to assume from their perspective we are performing.
That's a completely different argument though. And one I agree with. Didn't mean to absolve the Glazers of any blame, I just don't think the financial effort is the issue. The structure and staff they installed and allowed to underperform for a decade is an entirely different beast, something they really have to take responsibility for

JPRouve

Scout
Tot be fair we spend less and less these days.

We on. 45 mil net spend or something with a squad that needs another 5 good players pronto.

But yes we could also spend better.

Main thing is we waste dall the money in previous years and now the new manager gets fecked over.
You are bound to spend less every years when you massively increase your wage bill, it's not as if your revenues increase at a similar pace. An analogy would be that if I have 200€ to spare every month and purchases something that costs me 150€ per month, unless I make more money I only have 50€ to spare instead of previously 200€.

El-Manos

Wouldn't surprise me. Even if De Jong was presented with a Chelsea shirt they'd probably claim it's not a good enough source judging from what I've seen of that thread.
I was getting dogs abuse in there for saying that. I don’t know what they are holding onto

bucky

Can he play combination football? There isn’t even a 2-touch sequence in the vid on first page, which is extremely odd for a lengthy vid of a midfielder.

That graphic also states he loses the ball a lot on unforced errors, which isn’t a good sign - does that mean he’s errant with his passing or that he’s got deep-playmaking traits and expectations placed upon him?
Not that it matters now, but if you mean the graphic that @sullydnl posted, then you read it wrong. He gets dispossessed less often than de Jong, despite being on the ball more often.

JPRouve

Scout
Its reported we turned down offer for McTominay this summer because we see him as essential to our plans.
One thing is I never mentioned ambitions, Im saying it is not impossible with a proper plan and also doesn’t need to cost a lot of money
The point of my post was about ambition because it was the topic of the conversation. No one told you that it was impossible to do anything without a plan or under different circumstances.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
That's a completely different argument though. And one I agree with. Didn't mean to absolve the Glazers of any blame, I just don't think the financial effort is the issue. The structure they installed and allowed to underperform for a decade is an entirely different beast, something they really have to take responsibility for
Oh I totally agree. You can’t argue with the funds we have spent on transfers and wages.

Cassidy

The point of my post was about ambition because it was the topic of the conversation. No one told you that it was impossible to do anything without a plan or under different circumstances.
Pretty sure you said we couldn't sign Sanches because he only wanted PSG which is untrue.

If we want to talk about ambition, we haven’t shown enough yet. Hiring a competent manager is a start

Cassidy

Which has nothing to do with the post you responded to.
The response.

You suggested we didn't have offers to shift midfielders. In the end its excuses because that again is untrue.

Ambition would be forgoing dividends to increase the budget too. All in all you can rightly question ambition at United.

JPRouve

Scout
The response.

You suggested we didn't have offers to shift midfielders. In the end its excuses because that again is untrue.

Ambition would be forgoing dividends to increase the budget too. All in all you can rightly question ambition at United.
I responded to a general point made by andysmith about ambition and someone's wealth. You can read and know it, so move away with your nonsense and trying to find suggstions that aren't there.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not that it matters now, but if you mean the graphic that @sullydnl posted, then you read it wrong. He gets dispossessed less often than de Jong, despite being on the ball more often.
Yep, presumably because he dribbles less. Though that also means you don't get the benefit that brings.

AndySmith1990

He is right though, we spend a ton of money, not much less than city and yet we are 6th.
Indeed. An ambitious club looks at the performances, comes to the conclusion Woodward and everyone he's hired is not fit for purpose, and proceeds to hire the best people available to maximise the performance in relation to money spent, therefore providing the best possible chance to win trophies.

JPRouve

Scout
Indeed. An ambitious club looks at the performances, comes to the conclusion Woodward and everyone he's hired is not fit for purpose, and proceeds to hire the best people available to maximise the performance in relation to money spent, therefore providing the best possible chance to win trophies.
In theory I agree with that. The only issue and that's where I stand based on what the Glazers have also done in the NFL, their issue is with competency. What you described only applies to someone that is competent.