Fabian Ruiz

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He is right though, we spend a ton of money, not much less than city and yet we are 6th.
I don't dispute the 1.3billion was poorly spent. The difference is that a state-own clubs could pour so much more resources to correct mistakes or even cover them up without any huge dip in performance.
Meanwhile now we have to scrimp and make incremental improvements.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
According to RMC, PSG are in advanced talks but they are actually trying to go past two other clubs. There is no agreement with the player at the moment.

Hammondo

I don't dispute the 1.3billion was poorly spent. The difference is that a state-own clubs could pour so much more resources to correct mistakes or even cover them up without any huge dip in performance.
True but we can still compete with them.

Blood Mage

Indeed. An ambitious club looks at the performances, comes to the conclusion Woodward and everyone he's hired is not fit for purpose, and proceeds to hire the best people available to maximise the performance in relation to money spent, therefore providing the best possible chance to win trophies.
Yes and this is the real issue, the Glazers filling every important vacancy above the manager with their own people who they trust, instead of hiring the best in class.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Hard to believe any of those rumours, especially when he's not a dutchie. Would be good if we had a plan B though and doesn't end up at another Fabregas, Thiago situation...

Anything which will take McT out of the squad will be a good move though.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes and this is the real issue, the Glazers filling every important vacancy above the manager with their own people who they trust, instead of hiring the best in class.
Let’s be honest here, even if we went out and hired the best in their field (subjective for some areas!), you lot would still not be happy.
I dont want the glazers here but it serves no purpose to moan about it in every thread because nothing is going to change. All it does is bring peoples mood down. Why don’t we contain those complaints to the glazer threads which are open and available instead of bringing every single thread down?

sglowrider

True but we can still compete with them.
Personally, I think the owners are waiting for the Pep and Klopp cycle to wind down, we are restructuring now so that we are ready to take back the perch. Both are very intense characters who will eventually burn out or feel the need to take a sabbatical.

sglowrider

Let’s be honest here, even if we went out and hired the best in their field (subjective for some areas!), you lot would still not be happy.
I dont want the glazers here but it serves no purpose to moan about it in every thread because nothing is going to change. All it does is bring peoples mood down. Why don’t we contain those complaints to the glazer threads which are open and available instead of bringing every single thread down?
Amen.

sglowrider

Hard to believe any of those rumours, especially when he's not a dutchie. Would be good if we had a plan B though and doesn't end up at another Fabregas, Thiago situation...

Anything which will take McT out of the squad will be a good move though.
I bet he has some dutch blood in him. Spaniards aren't the tallest race in the world -- nor are the Portuguese.

No way he is that tall without some dutch intervention.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You clearly haven't seen our midfield recruits for the past 10 years to say that. It was a collection of half assed purchases because our stupid DOF would rather spend 70M on 2 random players than the whole sum on a good one.

Also, it's reported pretty much everywhere that PSG needs to let go a lot of players to finance this revamp, especially to reduce the wage bill :
- Wijanldum is gone
- Areola was sold
- Paredes is reportdly on his way to juventus
- Gueye probably going back to Everton
- Kehrer, Kalimuendo and DIna Ebimbe are likely to be sold
- Navas in talks with Napoli
- Rafinha will go for cheap in a random spanish club
- Di Maria wasn't renewed
- Draxler, Herrera, Kurzawa and Icardi were told they needed to find a new club

We'll probable keep some of the list above but we're clearly using the world cup as an argument for players we don't want anymore, we're lucky a lot of them are on the fence with their NT and need to play.

Also, Sanches was a 10M+3 signing, Etikite is a loan and we used reverse factoring over 3 years to pay for Vitinha.

Dannn411

Great, now PSG joins Real Madrid, Barcelona, City and Liverpool with two sets of nidfields that would be starting midfields at Manchester United.

laughtersassassin

You are bound to spend less every years when you massively increase your wage bill, it's not as if your revenues increase at a similar pace. An analogy would be that if I have 200€ to spare every month and purchases something that costs me 150€ per month, unless I make more money I only have 50€ to spare instead of previously 200€.
Our wage bill really must be going down recently with what we have let go etc

Anyway I don't accept the excuses made by the club. It's quite frankly patehtic

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
You know midfield was the one thing I was sure would be fixed and proper this season. I don’t even know the words to describe how disappointing it is, having to put up with McFred for an entire season again.

We have not had a competitive midfield in like 15 years at this point, what is going on with management? We are the only top club who don’t see the value of a strong midfield.

JPRouve

Scout
Our wage bill really must be going down recently with what we have let go etc

Anyway I don't accept the excuses made by the club. It's quite frankly patehtic
This summer we have indeed reduced it but it doesn't mean that we have more money today, we may have in the future if we don't allocate it but that's in the future. And what excuses has the club made?

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
1 less midfielder for PSG to suddenly be interested in once we signal interest.

JPRouve

Scout
Love how everybody now seems to know about the bids on Ruiz when 12 hours ago they were all totally ignorant of any move in this direction.
At least RMC had the decency to call it a surprise. :lol:

worldinmotion66

The thing that made Carrick so good is that he was able to do both roles. Good enough defensively to be the main defensive midfielder, and good enough on the ball to be our main playmaker (although obviously he played second fiddle when next to Scholes). There are obviously midfielders who are/were better in one aspect than him, but very very few could match him in both. What I'd give to have a young Michael Carrick at the base of our midfield.

With it being pretty much impossible to find someone that provides that near-perfect balance, we have to choose to prefer one or the other. Much of the fanbase seem to want us to favour the defensive side of things, whereas ETH certainly seems to favour the ball-playing ability. Which should hopefully be fine as long as the player next to him does a good amount of defensive work himself.
Carrick would be perfect for what we want to do under Ten Hag, but I don't think he's all that unique. I think being a good defensive midfielder starts with positioning and sensing danger - Reading the game and anticipating the play. Carrick was no better than the likes of Busquets, Rodri, Fernandinho, Casemiro or Fabinho in terms of defensive screening or passing through the lines. They all have very similar skill sets, though I'd say Fernandinho and Casemiro are probably the more mobile with a smaller passing range. None of them are out and out defensive midfielders, they're all capable of playing football and dictating games.

There are many with the physical (often destroyers) and technical (eg ruiz) attributes to fulfill the role (I actually thought pogba could have been superb at this), but many (eg pogba, ruiz) lack the discipline, the intuition and the intelligence to play the role at the highest level. I think that's why we're so invested in de Jong.

AkaAkuma

PSG have signed Vitinha, Renato and now Ruiz.

Herrera, Gueye, Paredes, Wijnaldum, Danilo all surplus.

JPRouve

Scout
PSG have signed Vitinha, Renato and now Ruiz.

Herrera, Gueye, Paredes, Wijnaldum, Danilo all surplus.
They have not signed Ruiz, it may happen but it's not the case at the moment.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Our scouting system is one of the worst in European football so we wouldn’t have identified him in the first place.

Suv666

Our scouting system is one of the worst in European football so we wouldn’t have identified him in the first place.
I don't think there is a system. They probably print out a list of trending players.

Hal9000

Shame he's going PSG. Should of gone on soomer, great player and he's only got a year left so won't be expensive.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Please somehow hijack the deal which will never happen because PSG is an easier move