Fabinho | Al-Ittihad player

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Still remember when me and many others on here were banging on about him saying we should sign him and even last summer how it's a shame we arent interested in him, yet many of those deep up Mourinho's ass hole kept criticizing us and said hes not better than Matic. Yeah fecking right. Twice the player Matic, cheaper than Matic was, and about 5 years younger. Wouldve sorted out our holding midfield role for like 7 years and we were linked endlessly for a few years. So annoyed by this one because how obvious of a signing he wouldve been for us.
This has been happening for years with countless players. Bernardo Silva being another.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Some of us called it, back when we were debating the merits of Fabinho vs Matic. People were laughing at us though, after Matic had a decent first season here and Fabinho struggled at the beginning.

Now Liverpool have the position sewn up for years while Matic has (as the signs were already showing) turned into a pedestrian whom we paid 40m for to have one decent season.

I wonder if anyone is laughing now.
But we went for the 'winner' whose done it in a top league.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yet more evidence that fans know more about who we should sign than those in charge. If we had signed the majority of the ‘muppet’ targets we’d be a lot better off.
Fans didn't know much, I had to convince people that he was a good player, now people will pretend that they always knew. Same thing happened with Umtiti and there were plenty of skeptics about Bernardo Silva too.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
His turnaround this season has been pretty remarkable. Looked completely out of depth in his first few games in the Premier League, but since a few months ago he started to absolutely boss the midfield and put in some great performances. I don't like to watch him if he's on an early yellow though, that's for sure.

JPRouve

Scout
Funnily enough, Mourinho managed Fabinho at Real Madrid.
He was almost exclusively with la Castilla and Madrid rejected him which was very surprising because I still remember the first games that he played for Monaco, he was flawed but clearly talented.

Siorac

Fans don't know about football.

Sure they can pick our Fabinho from Monaco but they would want Henderson and Milner out of our squad way before that. There is still some people who don't want the ' English hardworking back bone' Ole is trying to go for.

Klopp would not come here with a blank cheque book because our fans are glory hunters that would have fired him in his 2nd season here for not winning a title.

Already people are calling him 'Liverpool' s SAF' - get lost, that is the epitome of what's wrong with this club.

Klopp went to Liverpool because they were an ex giant ready to have a long term project with no unnecessary pressure on his back.

Klopp won't go to Barcelona won't go to Madrid won't go to Juventus - you will see him at a club like Milan or even possibly Valencia or Atl Madrid to go to a club of peace and patience.

The fans are some of the problem here looking for instant success and until one of our own questioned the work ethic of our club would have bypassed hard workers for pure flair and nothing else - all for a quick sniff at a trophy.
If anything, we're way too patient as a club. Klopp, in his full seasons, finished fourth, fourth, and now second or first. In his second full season he reached a CL final.

Someone doing all that at United would have got all the time in the world. Mourinho got a fecking contract extension after finishing sixth and having a decent first half of the season. Even Van Gaal was only fired when we failed to make the CL, even though we barely scored a goal at Old Trafford for months.

I'm not sure where the idea that we're impatient comes from. No other supposedly top club tolerates failure and mediocrity as much as Manchester United. We still have Ashley Young playing for us. And Antonio Valencia. "Pure flair" my arse, the one "pure flair" player we have is the one that is constantly under attack by supporters.

Skills

Snitch
If anything, we're way too patient as a club. Klopp, in his full seasons, finished fourth, fourth, and now second or first. In his second full season he reached a CL final.

Someone doing all that at United would have got all the time in the world. Mourinho got a fecking contract extension after finishing sixth and having a decent first half of the season. Even Van Gaal was only fired when we failed to make the CL, even though we barely scored a goal at Old Trafford for months.

I'm not sure where the idea that we're impatient comes from. No other supposedly top club tolerates failure and mediocrity as much as Manchester United. We still have Ashley Young playing for us. And Antonio Valencia. "Pure flair" my arse, the one "pure flair" player we have is the one that is constantly under attack by supporters.
This, this, this, this.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
He was almost exclusively with la Castilla and Madrid rejected him which was very surprising because I still remember the first games that he played for Monaco, he was flawed but clearly talented.
At the time, Real Madrid had Xabi Alonso as their starting DM and Essien as backup.

Fabinho was never going to become a regular there. He had to leave if he wanted any playing time.

JPRouve

Scout
At the time, Real Madrid had Xabi Alonso as their starting DM and Essien as backup.

Fabinho was never going to become a regular there. He had to leave if he wanted any playing time.
His competition was Arbeloa and Carvajal, it's Jardim that moved him to midfield.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern

I agree. I think United are one of the very few big clubs that actually put less pressure on their managers and players than most.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
I mean, it's not really that average. Mane is world class. Fabinho is world class. Alexander Arnold is the best young right back prospect in the world, Robertson is up there with the best left backs in the world, allison is a world class goalkeeper and van Dijk is probably the best center back in the world. They're team is excellently coached, but they've also built a world class squad that still puts out a really strong 11 even when 2 world class attackers are gone.
Fabinho only became world-class this season (actually the last few months). Mané was an inconsistent player in Southampton. Allison is the only true WC player that they bought and GKs cannot be coached as much anyway. This is most probably down to their manager's work actually and I wouldn't be surprised if most of them never reach the same heights once Klopp leaves, at least that was the case at Dortmund.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I agree. I think United are one of the very few big clubs that actually put less pressure on their managers and players than most.
Pressure on the players is pretty high I'd say.

The amount of criticism that team got for not keeping with city last season was ridiculous. Considering their starting position (5th and 6th in the past two years, 4th the best finish of the past four years), 82 points and 2nd place was an outstanding total and should have been seen as a solid platform for further growth, rather than a failed title challenge as the narrative ended up.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Fabinho only became world-class this season (actually the last few months). Mané was an inconsistent player in Southampton. Allison is the only true WC player that they bought and GKs cannot be coached as much anyway. This is most probably down to their manager's work actually and I wouldn't be surprised if most of them never reach the same heights once Klopp leaves, at least that was the case at Dortmund.
He's only playing at his best Monaco level.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
:rolleyes: He is no better now than he was at Monaco
Mane was playing in an inconsistent side :rolleyes:

Skills

Snitch
Pressure on the players is pretty high I'd say.

The amount of criticism that team got for not keeping with city last season was ridiculous. Considering their starting position (5th and 6th in the past two years, 4th the best finish of the past four years), 82 points and 2nd place was an outstanding total and should have been seen as a solid platform for further growth, rather than a failed title challenge as the narrative ended up.
Yeah it's a pretty toxic club for the playing staff. Managers take all the plaudits for any kind of success and the players get publicly destroyed for any failure. It's quite an unhealthy dynamic.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
He's only playing at his best Monaco level.
Well, I don't know about you but I wouldn't have him classed as a world-class DM even back then. AFAIK he hasn't been playing well the last year in Monaco too, has he?

:rolleyes: He is no better now than he was at Monaco
Mane was playing in an inconsistent side :rolleyes:
I am not disputing that actually, I do not think that he is a truly WC DM currently.
Mané was most certainly not a WC player back then. I don't know about anyone claiming that when he was bought and surely a WC winger would go for a lot more than what, 35m, even at that time?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Well, I don't know about you but I wouldn't have him classed as a world-class DM even back then. AFAIK he hasn't been playing well the last year in Monaco too, has he?
He was alright, nothing like these last few weeks or the season he had when they won the french league.
I don't know if world class is the best word I'd use, actually I'm sure it's not but he is a very solid and efficient player.
He was better for Monaco at times, he was a serious driving force

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Not sure what you could ask of him that he isn't doing in that role.

Cloud7

Yeah it's a pretty toxic club for the playing staff. Managers take all the plaudits for any kind of success and the players get publicly destroyed for any failure. It's quite an unhealthy dynamic.
Yeah I’ve mentioned this before but at United we have the most unhealthy ‘cult of the manager’ that I’ve seen of any of the top clubs.

Cloud7

Fully agree with this post. As a fanbase tolerates mediocrity to an extent that no others would. No idea why we get called spoiled or impatient.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Fans didn't know much, I had to convince people that he was a good player, now people will pretend that they always knew. Same thing happened with Umtiti and there were plenty of skeptics about Bernardo Silva too.
Yeah? Find my posts about both Silva and Fabinho, apologise and then appoint me as our DOF you pretentious baguette.

Skills

Snitch
Yeah I’ve mentioned this before but at United we have the most unhealthy ‘cult of the manager’ that I’ve seen of any of the top clubs.
Sign any player and they have to prove themselves for Manchester United.

A new manager comes in and guaranteed there's a banner or a new song ready, before he's even taken his first piss at Carrington.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah? Find my posts about both Silva and Fabinho, apologise and then appoint me as our DOF you pretentious baguette.
:lol:

I didn't mean that I was the only one but you know that we were in the minority, so it's amusing to see people act as if the "fans" knew all along. Just to show you how clueless I am, I wasn't convinced by Mané.

Last edited:

starman

Hes such a shithouse, almost in the Suarez mould...but he's a very good player

Another one the caf got wrong....

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Unfortunately he was another player that was I had right at the top of my priority transfer list for three seasons. Pretty frustrating given he was a player that would have filled the void of two of our weak positions.

starman

Isnt that kind of paradox when the caf went into meltdown when Liverpool signed him?
I am sure the meltdown happened when it realised what it had missed out on.
Lots of noses being turned up when we were being linked and Liverpool signed him, as well as during his first few months

Kostur

海尔的老板
:lol:

I didn't mean that I was the only one but you know that we were in the minority, so it's amusing to see people act as if the "fans" knew all along. Just to show you how clueless I am myself, I wasn't convinced by Mané.
Yup, same by me, thought he was merely a pace merchant and was happy we've got iirc Depay instead of him.

Cloud7

Sign any player and they have to prove themselves for Manchester United.

A new manager comes in and guaranteed there's a banner or a new song ready, before he's even taken his first piss at Carrington.
Don’t forget, every manager that comes in deserves at least two years and to bring in 11 of his own players before he can be judged. A player on the other hand, he can be sold the January after he’s been bought.

To be fair, I do hold the view that players have to prove themselves after signing for United. What you did at your old club is well and good, but what you do here is what matters. The difference is that I hold managers to the same standard. It doesn’t matter how much you won in the past, or what your ‘pedigree’ is, for me you start from the same baseline any new incoming players start from, and you have to prove yourself here.

I do hope that one day we can move away from the manager worshipping culture that pervades our fanbase. It’s nothing but detrimental to us.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I always rated mane.

Easy one though given the roastings he'd already given our defence at Southampton

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
They got Fabinho for 40m, Salah for 37m and Mane for 35m. This is genius level of transfer dealing.

Bwuk

I always rated mane.

Easy one though given the roastings he'd already given our defence at Southampton
Likewise I rated Mane but was happy at the time we’d signed Mkhitaryan instead.

Woops.

I wanted Fabinho here since the season Monaco won the league. I said we had to go all out for him, Bernardo and Mbappe.

Such obvious talents, it’s the same with this Ajax side.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Guy is going to be Liverpool's Fernandinho and I mean that in the best way possible. He's got a nasty streak in him just like Fern, he can be a bit of a cnut, he's great at tactical fouling and he's good on the ball. He dives a bit more than him though. Its easy to see why Pep wanted him for that role now despite his early struggles. He's really came into his own last couple of games. Tortured Messi last night.

Klopp has got so many signings spot on at Liverpool its scary. Not really a dud among them and when they haven't worked out they've been the ones he got dirt cheap like Klavan.

padr81

Supports
Man City
They got Fabinho for 40m, Salah for 37m and Mane for 35m. This is genius level of transfer dealing.
Scary, if you add in Andy Robertson for £8m, you won't see a better £120m spend in football history (given inflation).

Not having a dig but Liverpool got those 4 for the price of Pogba and Lukaku... not much more than Drinkwater and Morata.
We've spent more than that on fullbacks at City two of whom rarely play. Incredible really.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Guy is going to be Liverpool's Fernandinho and I mean that in the best way possible. He's got a nasty streak in him just like Fern, he can be a bit of a cnut, he's great at tactical fouling and he's good on the ball. He dives a bit more than him though. Its easy to see why Pep wanted him for that role now despite his early struggles. He's really came into his own last couple of games. Tortured Messi last night.

Klopp has got so many signings spot on at Liverpool its scary. Not really a dud among them and when they haven't worked out they've been the ones he got dirt cheap like Klavan.
I think it's really just Klavan and Karius who've ended up as 'negative' signings. I like that he knows what he wants and is willing to wait for the right player though. We suffered a lot early on in 17/18 but it was worth it to get Van Dijk.

As you can see, I've always believed in Fabinho. :p

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Don't forget that he could play RB too. Seemed like a no-brainer at the time.
In fairness, everyone here wanted him for RB. Others would say "but he is not even playing at RB" and the answer would be "but he can". Rinse, repeat.

From what I had seen I thought he would be a quality signing, but all the moaning about how obvious it was, etc is typical Monday's paper kneejerking.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think it's really just Klavan and Karius who've ended up as 'negative' signings. I like that he knows what he wants and is willing to wait for the right player though. We suffered a lot early on in 17/18 but it was worth it to get Van Dijk.

As you can see, I've always believed in Fabinho. :p
I thought people were writing him off too early too, before he had a chance to settle. I was writing Bernardo Silva off last season which is why I haven't written Mahrez off for us yet. Seen it happen with Stones and Walker too.

Planted myself fimrly on the fence earlier in the thread so regardless of what happened I could say I was right.

I wouldn't write him off just yet. He's been very hit and miss thus far. I remember people saying the same about Bernardo after he was out of the team and patchy in his start at City, this season he's been one of the best players in the league.

He might be another Bernardo, he might be another Bakayoko, its too early to judge imho.
He was total shite today though and looked lost dealing with the intensity Arsenal played at.