Fabio Vieira to Arsenal in deal worth upto €40m.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Seems like a done deal. His obligatory YouTube vid:

He looks mightily impressive there, comfortable on the ball, can play a killer pass, skillful, seems to have a quick turn, pace and can shoot. He looks like he'll do great on the right or left. Looks better than Antony tbh.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Something something Vieira in an Arsenal shirt something something.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ok? Will soon be a bashing United thread because we’re not signing players nobody’s ever heard of from Portugal.

mu4c_20le

ábio Daniel Ferreira Vieira is a Portuguese professional footballer who plays for Premier League club Arsenal as a midfielder. He is Basically De Bruyne and Paddy Vieira rolled into one Wikipedia

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
A signing that shows journalists and so-called insiders really don't know anything. Literally nobody has talked about him. And almost every Arsenal journalist has confidently claimed that signing any attacking player beyond a first choice striker would be dependent on Pepe leaving.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Seems like a lot to spend in a position where they have Saka. Or if he's a 10... Where they have ESR/Odegaard. Just by that logic I'm not too bothered.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Seems like a lot to spend in a position where they have Saka. Or if he's a 10... Where they have ESR/Odegaard. Just by that logic I'm not too bothered.
Just what I was coming in here to say. Arsenal are well stocked with attacking mids who play in that #10 position.

Brophs

The One and Only
“Find me the new Vieria”, said Arteta. “Challenge accepted”, said Edu.

RyRoc

Don’t know anything about him but 14 assists and 7 goals last season from 23 starts in the league are excellent stats. Anyone seen him play?

NoPace

Their fans are split on Odegaard I think, so maybe the idea is Odegaard, Vieira and Saka cover the 10 and RW spots, then Martinelli and Smith-Rowe on the left competing and Martinelli can get some games as the 3rd striker between Jesus/whoever they sign and Nketiah.

Seems like a lot of money, but if they're getting Tielemans while keeping Xhaka and bringing Saliba back, they're really only short a striker and ideally a fullback I guess, so a summer spend of like 110M would cover all that, though that's more than I thought they'd spend. Feeling the heat from Spurs and us perhaps. They're probably tied with us for 5th at the moment in betting odds I'd get since Tuchel should keep Chelsea strong-ish and Conte did so well for Spurs and is being backed with win-now signings in Bissouma and Perisic, who I think will both fit really nicely there next year.

Kaushal

Their fans are split on Odegaard I think, so maybe the idea is Odegaard, Vieira and Saka cover the 10 and RW spots, then Martinelli and Smith-Rowe on the left competing and Martinelli can get some games as the 3rd striker between Jesus/whoever they sign and Nketiah.

Seems like a lot of money, but if they're getting Tielemans while keeping Xhaka and bringing Saliba back, they're really only short a striker and ideally a fullback I guess, so a summer spend of like 110M would cover all that, though that's more than I thought they'd spend. Feeling the heat from Spurs and us perhaps. They're probably tied with us for 5th at the moment in betting odds I'd get since Tuchel should keep Chelsea strong-ish and Conte did so well for Spurs and is being backed with win-now signings in Bissouma and Perisic, who I think will both fit really nicely there next year.
:lol: From us ? What heat ? :lol:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

That sounds about right, although I don't think supporters are split on Odegaard. We just have no real cover for either Odegaard or Saka since Arteta doesn't rate Pepe at all and Smith-Rowe mainly plays on the left, so if Odegaard/Saka/Vieira rotate in two positions then all three of them will get more than enough minutes given the fixture schedule next year plus five subs.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

I think that's the idea, yes. We were incredibly short in a season with no Europe and early exit in the cups. So we need many players.
G.Jesus 50M / Vieira 35M / Tielemans 35M / Hickey (?) 20M / Turner (2nd GK technically signed in January) 8M is another 150M summer. The good thing is they're all supposedly very advanced so no player arriving in August.
Needs to get Pepe out and maybe a loan for Tavares.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A signing that shows journalists and so-called insiders really don't know anything. Literally nobody has talked about him. And almost every Arsenal journalist has confidently claimed that signing any attacking player beyond a first choice striker would be dependent on Pepe leaving.
Very good point.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Fantastic signing by Arsenal! He was the top assist maker last season and has a wand of a left foot. He is a playmaker that also can play our wide similarly to Bernardo Silva actually. He was brilliant at the youth levels for Portugal and was fantastic at Porto. Great crosser, great passer and good at set pieces.

With Arsenals playstyle I believe he will fit in brilliantly!

avgp_1

Watched him mostly for the youth teams of Portugal and he reminds of Bernardo.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Watched him mostly for the youth teams of Portugal and he reminds of Bernardo.
That’s my comp as well, quick feet low center of gravity and good dribbler of the ball. He’s going to be a fantastic signing for arsenal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
:lol: From us ? What heat ? :lol:
Probably something to do with United's worst ever season and complete collapse with 3 managers in, 1 being interim for half a year, and all the unrest still finished 6th, while their best season in ages finished... 5th. We're a lot better than what we did last season, and a new coach with the quality of Ten Hag with some bad eggs leaving will go a long way towards that, even with nothing else going on.

NoPace

That sounds about right, although I don't think supporters are split on Odegaard. We just have no real cover for either Odegaard or Saka since Arteta doesn't rate Pepe at all and Smith-Rowe mainly plays on the left, so if Odegaard/Saka/Vieira rotate in two positions then all three of them will get more than enough minutes given the fixture schedule next year plus five subs.
Yeah, I mean end of the day it's 7 guys for 4 spots which is the minimum really. Assume 52 games a year (Arsenal played 45 but will have Europa league this year) that's 208 games or so a year, so basically 30 starts per player which is probably enough to keep everyone happy considering the backup 9 should only get 15 or so (though if it's Nketiah he might ask to leave, but you'll get good money for him now that he's on a longer deal I think, even with the wages being so high).

Patino goes on loan and Pepe as well in the hope he lights up Serie A or something and you can mitigate some of that financial disaster.

Just seems weird to people because it's before the signing of a CM, but that won't matter soon.

NoPace

I don't think supporters are split on Odegaard.
That's the vibe on Arsenal Mania or whatever it's called. Though I would have thought the alternative to him you'd want is not another playmaker but a better athlete like Smith-Rowe, but Arteta seems to love an old-school #10 even though they're dying away.

Teja

Arsenal have gotten really good with transfers recently. They went full money-ball as well (one of the first big clubs to acquire a data company so rivals don't have access to their data), so I think this will end up being a good signing for them.

Partey, White, Odegaard, Ramsdale are some recent hits. Tomiyasu and Tavares are kinda shit but they're still young and were signed for low fees.

The Arsenal way is also pretty clear (atleast since Wenger joined), so they probably had an easier time at it than most other clubs. The only thing I'm amazed by is their determination to stick with Arteta through the dark days where all their metrics (xG, field tilt etc.) were piss poor.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Arsenal have gotten really good with transfers recently. They went full money-ball as well (one of the first big clubs to acquire a data company so rivals don't have access to their data), so I think this will end up being a good signing for them.

Partey, White, Odegaard, Ramsdale are some recent hits. Tomiyasu and Tavares are kinda shit but they're still young and were signed for low fees.

The Arsenal way is also pretty clear (atleast since Wenger joined), so they probably had an easier time at it than most other clubs. The only thing I'm amazed by is their determination to stick with Arteta through the dark days where all their metrics (xG, field tilt etc.) were piss poor.
I'm not sure mate, Partey hasn't been good at all considering the reputation he came with, I think Xhaka and to a certain extent Elneny have been better than him, Ramsdale has a tendency to lose his head and White hasn't shown too much this season, I'm not too sure he's above Rob Holding. Tomiyasu and Tavares are duds.

I think Odegaard and Gabriel are fantastic signings however.

Big Poppa

Supports
Arsenal

Eh?

Tomiyasu is almost unanimously considered Arteta’s best signing by Arsenal fans. Can play anywhere in defence and fantastic with both feet.

Teja

I'm not sure mate, Partey hasn't been good at all considering the reputation he came with, I think Xhaka and to a certain extent Elneny have been better than him, Ramsdale has a tendency to lose his head and White hasn't shown too much this season, I'm not too sure he's above Rob Holding.

I think Odegaard and Gabriel are fantastic signings however.
I thought Partey has been good when he played and his problem was that he was injured half the time?

Both Ramsdale and White are mediocre at their primary job (shop stopping and defending) but are really good at playing a high line and playing with the ball at their feet. Given their age I still feel like they're both good signings and will develop well while being good players in a modern team.

ArseHat

I think the jury is still out on White and Ramsdale. They both had decent debut seasons which they definitely can build on, but haven't exactly been home runs, yet. Ramsdale's first half of the season was outstanding, but the second half left a lot to be desired. Both are young and you'd expect them to improve, though. Tomiyasu has been good a good signing imo, just that injuries have kept him off the pitch for extended periods of time, not unlike Partey and Tierney. Tavares has the physical attributes, but needs a loan; he should not be the back up for Tierney next season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Will sell a crazy amount of shirts with that name!

Surprised Arsenal have gone for another development player in central midfield. Lokanga played a bit start of last season before he was rarely seen again so guess they'll loan him out. Elneny still around and will probably suddenly get some random starts in March.

I assume the plan was to make statement signing for CM in mould of Tielemans or Ruben Neves but no CL has ended that. Guess they need to move Xhaka out aswell but as ever he's hard to budge.

Abraxas

I'm not sure the people you're describing as "hits" are anywhere near making it just yet. Unless Arsenal's goal is to hover around 4-6th then isn't the jury out? They've got every chance of improving because they've bought youngish players but they still need to actually do it.