[Fabrizio Romano] Manchester United want to discuss a new contract with David De Gea...

tomaldinho1

Regardless of if you rate him or not, why would we do this as we have an option at the end of the current deal. Why do we make these weird decisions? It’ll be summer 2024 before he could leave on a free and nobody is going to pay us for him and get close to his salary in the interim.

SAFMUTD

We are beyond stupid, first Bruno now De Gea. Giving new contracts to players which we don't need to and with improving wages as well.

Seriously who's deciding this? I mean even the Glazers must realize it's stupid to pay someone way more than you need to.

mattsville

Do not extend long term, activate the +1, he has been atrocious for a couple of seasons but has improved this season as it is nearly contract renewal time, possibly influenced by the other wasters using us, cannot fix it all in a single window but just do not give some stupid long term contract, I would prefer if we prioritise midfield and attack.

Bondi77

Improve a 19.5mil contract that still has two years remaining???
What the feck is going on here!

Blood Mage

You can already tell the board are going to undermine Ten Hag at every turn and force players on him that don't suit his system. I love De Gea, he's been a terrific servant to this club and is the best shot-stopper in our history, but if Ten Hag wants a sweeper keeper instead the club need to respect that.

arthurka

People do realise he’s a really great goalkeeper right? Yeah his distribution could be better but there’s no better shot stopper in the world.
He is leaving in every other aspect of the game when it comes to a keeper. He should have to work hard to keep his place but he will get 400k because of the DNA and shit.

Jericholyte2

He is leaving in every other aspect of the game when it comes to a keeper. He should have to work hard to keep his place but he will get 400k because of the DNA and shit.
So what's the alternative? We sell and then make GK a massive priority when we already have gaping chasms within our team?

The Oracle

You can already tell the board are going to undermine Ten Hag at every turn and force players on him that don't suit his system. I love De Gea, he's been a terrific servant to this club and is the best shot-stopper in our history, but if Ten Hag wants a sweeper keeper instead the club need to respect that.
One on one's are also part of shot-stopping as well, and De Gea is absolutely horrendous at them!

Roario

People do realise he’s a really great goalkeeper right? Yeah his distribution could be better but there’s no better shot stopper in the world.
A team with ambitions would not settle for a good shot-stopper. He's terrible at everything else.

Jericholyte2

A team with ambitions would not settle for a good shot-stopper. He's terrible at everything else.
Except we aren’t at that point yet. We have FAR bigger problems in the team right now. Like you fullbacks, or our entire midfield, or having a starting striker next year, or a right-sided winger. How about having a CB partnership that can withstand a bit of pressure?

GK is at the bottom of a long pile of issues facing this team.

Assess in a year or two when his contract is ending.
So the solution is to let him go on a free?

Andrew7582

What's wrong with that? He'll be 33 by then and his relexes are only going to get worse from here. There's no value to protect anyway as no other club will touch those wages with a bargepole.

Roario

Except we aren’t at that point yet. We have FAR bigger problems in the team right now. Like you fullbacks, or our entire midfield, or having a starting striker next year, or a right-sided winger. How about having a CB partnership that can withstand a bit of pressure?

GK is at the bottom of a long pile of issues facing this team.
I would argue that it is very important to get a new GK in.
DDG loses possession so often because of his terrible distribution.
He never goes for a cross, just stands on his line.
He is a liability in build-up play, not press resistant at all.
We have 2 years to decide if he can cope under Ten Hag, extending his contract now is just insane.

Jibbs

Should be allowed to run down contract. Get a new modern keeper.

Jericholyte2

I would argue that it is very important to get a new GK in.
DDG loses possession so often because of his terrible distribution.
He never goes for a cross, just stands on his line.
He is a liability in build-up play, not press resistant at all.
We have 2 years to decide if he can cope under Ten Hag, extending his contract now is just insane.
In normal circumstances I'd accept that argument, if the team didn't need such a fundamental surgery as Rangnick says. We could go get a press-resistant keeper in the summer, but what good would it be if that means funds for a second CM or a ST are limited and teams then continue to slice through us like melted butter?

I wouldn't exactly be offering him a 5yr deal or anything, but we have so much that is fundamentally wrong in the team right now that I'd accept a GK who's 'just' great at shot-stopping.

We can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Not surprised with this news. The Glazers are so removed from the footballing aspect of our club that if you ask them what sport United play in they would have to pause and think.

Andrew7582

In normal circumstances I'd accept that argument, if the team didn't need such a fundamental surgery as Rangnick says. We could go get a press-resistant keeper in the summer, but what good would it be if that means funds for a second CM or a ST are limited and teams then continue to slice through us like melted butter?

I wouldn't exactly be offering him a 5yr deal or anything, but we have so much that is fundamentally wrong in the team right now that I'd accept a GK who's 'just' great at shot-stopping.

The point is he still has 2 years left, there's absolutely no need to extend it beyond that. It can only be another bizarre accounting decision made by the glazers as I can't fathom why Rangnick or ETH would be pushing for this.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Don't mind him leaving on a free at all. He's paid his dues and the alternative is extending indefinitely when he's clearly a dated goalie.

I hope it's only about extending the option. Short term we need him, but I hope by 2024 we have a successor (more modern GK) lined up.

RB Leipzig bought this Belgian kid from Genk and loaned him back. We should be looking at something similar. Especially with Hendo probably leaving, get a talented GK in now, that fits how we want to play.

Idxomer

If he proves not to be a hindrance to ETH's system, there won't be anything stopping us from offering him a new contract then.

I don't see that as likely, so yes letting him go on free in 2023 or 2024 would be the best option. Hopefully, ETH will have fixed most of our problems in the other areas and the club look for a modern keeper.

Roario

I agree to some extent that there are more important signings to make, but I doubt he will be a starter for Ten Hag, so why not just get rid?
I just keep thinking about the start Pep and to an extent Arteta had with subpar goalkeepers in a possession system.
If we can get money for him we should sell him, if not we should sell Henderson and get a new one in.

BlueHaze

He's honestly been a great servant and has stood for many memorable saves but it's time to move on. You need more in the modern game as a GK than just excelling at shot stopping. He barely ever leaves his line is bad with his feet and unreliable in the air.

We need a more complete GK.

RedDevil@84

The outrage here is weird, you would think it’s Bailly or Jones getting a new contract. What if it’s already been discussed with ETH and GK will be the final piece in the puzzle? No club in the world would deliberately let a contract of the starting 11 player run out, makes no sense whatsoever.
He has contract extendable to 2024.

EtH

If this and the “evolution” story are true Ten Hag will be sacked before he even has a chance to build his own team.

Lamb to the slaughter.

roseguy64

Opening negotiations isn't the same thing as him signing a new contract. We were in discussions with Bruno last season and it's only now he's signed his new deal.

I would assume we're just entering into discussions with him now and nothing will be decided/signed for a long time yet.

In Rainbows

Some in here acting like he’s shipping in goals left and right . Been our savior most games this season. Ffs
I don't think people have a problem with keeping de Gea. It's the fact that he's here for another 2 years regardless (based on his current contract). So why rush into a new contract?

The Red Thinker

I think any and all renewals should be paused until Ten Hag has had half a season with this lot. Does not make sense to give De Gea 350k if he’s not going to fit the new style.

tjb

I'm very glad most people here don't make decisions.
They would have us sell the entire squad or wait till all contracts expire then complain about how useless the club is for getting themselves in this position. Honestly, we need this season to end, some summer transfers and next season to begin already.

Some players are not nearly as bad as they look. You don't sell an entire team in one window. DDG is not our issue and he has never been that, not even last season. Our issues start in midfield and that should be our core focus.

EtH

I think any and all renewals should be paused until Ten Hag has had half a season with this lot. Does not make sense to give De Gea 350k if he’s not going to fit the new style.
This is the issue. DDG is not the prototypical Ten Hag keeper at all. The complete opposite in fact. So this would just be more of the same from the club if true which would only make it more difficult on the new manager.

ManRed

Quite possible Erik has agreed to this as he doesn't see replacing De Gea in the next few windows

haru krentz

And they said it's Ole's FAULT for extending players contract eventhough they dont deserve it :lol:.

Waynne

We don't control games and a ball playing goalkeeper can act as a 5th defender that is comfortable on the ball in distrubtion from the back makes it that much harder for teams to press from the front.
City and Liverpool have such goalkeepers.

Classical Mechanic

Good of Carragher to properly credit it
People talk about managers but it shows just how important players are to systems and success. If Allison was performing like the 4th best keeper on that list then he'd still be one of the best in the league by that metric but would Liverpool still be in the title race? If Liverpool's transfer commitee hadn't got their purchases spot on then Klopp would've remained around 4th - 7th in the league, would be back in Germany now and labelled a flop by some.