Fabrizio Romano

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
You said no one wanted it. His follower account would indicate that millions do.

It's a hobby. No one has claimed he is saving the world.
The OP was quite glowing. Basically over the 2 pages, people have justified it as "yeah it's shit but he's good at shit". It's a far cry from the OP's "he's a very good journalist" which is what some of us were responding to.

Hoof the ball

Makes me laugh how whenever Ornstein tweets a breaking story he'll very shortly after retweet his own previous vague information on it. Bit insecure.
Wasn't long ago in this very window that Romano broke a story and Ornstein posted his own story ten minutes afterwards. Romano gets plenty of European scoops that Ornstein doesn't get first, but because this forum is PL focused inevitably they compare Ornstein to Romano largely based on British based transfers.

In fact, on European transfers he's quite often accurate and first to break something. What does it matter if he's second to Ornstein in this country? He's certainly better sourced on Italy and in Europe overall.

BarstoolProphet

Best football-related aggregator around. Even got his old boss/inspiration DiMarzio to start tweeting in English also.

OverratedOpinion

The OP was quite glowing. Basically over the 2 pages, people have justified it as "yeah it's shit but he's good at shit". It's a far cry from the OP's "he's a very good journalist" which is what some of us were responding to.
Unless he has deleted posts then the OP has only posted a twitter link and 2 sentences that were moderately complimentary.

TheLord

I find it difficult to understand what should be admired in all this.

You're talking about a guy breaking stuff a few hours before it's officially confirmed by a club anyway. It's not ground-breaking, it's barely news worthy. It's not journalistic investigation into anything related to the sporting side or business side of football. It's mundane, at best.

But then, I've never understood people's fascination with transfer season or muppetry, so I guess it's me.
In today's world, "time" is an actual currency. Just a few hours before mainstream is enough for someone to be special when those instances come so frequently and consistently in a spectacle (football transfers) followed closely by millions.

Hoof the ball

Very good journalist or whatever you want to call. You can read so many transfer news just following him and couple of other accounts.

One of the most reliable journalist Ornstein gave him credit many times for breaking the stories.
A fact which will be conveniently ignored in a future emotion filled gum flap by one of the regular cafites who seem to diet on "tap in" posts. Just the salt, you'd think it's Carthage.

Superden

but value has that 'currency' to normal folks, knowing about a transfer a few hours before other people? none. other than bread and circus bs.

OverratedOpinion

but value has that 'currency' to normal folks, knowing about a transfer a few hours before other people? none. other than bread and circus bs.
Millions and millions of people want to know as soon as possible. He is one of the best at providing that information.

Literally perplexed at what the issue is here.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Oh, so people only consume what they need?

It’s just noisy shite. There’s no product there, no benefit to what he does, no value generation. It’s an online gossip column.
Some people find gossip columns valuable. Just because you do not does not make it not valuable

OverratedOpinion

I think some people are not gripping the fact that them not liking something does not mean it doesn't have value.

wr8_utd

:'(
I honestly find the cult following the guy has to be completely bizarre to be honest. I utterly and completely admire his hard work, his dedication and the endless hours he spends following other accounts on Twitter but he is not a "journalist" by any stretch of the imagination. I think the guy does have some fairly decent contacts but he's largely just an aggregator of information who rehashes information tweeted by Ornstein and multiple other Twitter sources across Italy, Germany, Holland, and Spain, and then he takes that information, often without crediting the person, and adds his brilliant presentation skills to it. The man is the #1 aggregator in the world and that is absolutely fantastic and an unreal accomplishment for someone who is not a real journalist and ideally shouldn't have contacts. But I just refuse to believe him having legit information for every single transfer like he claims to do because there are countless examples this summer where I've seen the original tweets that he's copied, which he passes off as his own within 2-10 mins of the other person tweeting. His most amusing trait is ofcourse always copying or adding on to absolutely anything Ornstein puts out.

However, criticism aside, it takes a large amount of effort to even sit 15 hours a day on Twitter just to find information and he is a major source of news aggregation for a lot of people so fair play to the guy.

wr8_utd

Wasn't long ago in this very window that Romano broke a story and Ornstein posted his own story ten minutes afterwards. Romano gets plenty of European scoops that Ornstein doesn't get first, but because this forum is PL focused inevitably they compare Ornstein to Romano largely based on British based transfers.

In fact, on European transfers he's quite often accurate and first to break something. What does it matter if he's second to Ornstein in this country? He's certainly better sourced on Italy and in Europe overall.
If you follow a lot of Twitter "ITK" and journalist accounts covering the Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, you'll realize that he is actually very often not the first to break information and he finds information on Twitter which he then gifts wrap and presents with 1-2 lines of his which add absolutely no value. There are multiple examples but I remember the Alvarez to Dortmund deal collapsing was something reported by a Dutch journo/handle but it went largely unnoticed and then Romano took that same tweet and added his spin to it within 3-10 mins and he got huge engagement. The man is extremely talented at identifying credible information online but there's loads of stories he doesn't break first and if you had ample amounts of time on your hands, you'd be able to find where he steals his information on a regular basis. However, like I said before, while he often doesn't credit these people, he's doing an incredible job of still ensuring this information does reach a far wider audience.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm with you, @Rooney in Paris. Romano is obviously amazing at what he does, but I deeply dislike what it stands for - the 24/7, 60/24, 60/60 news needs cycle, where somehow people want every morcel of information about their pet interests that comes available at any point - and individuals can make careers just out of sharing those tidbits without providing any depth or other value-add. It's basically a transfer-only teletext on steroids (and then some). I get how people enjoy it (although on the United forum, transfer news seems to be doomscrolling and hate-reading for most), and again, Romano's workrate and dedication are admirable - but it's not my cup of tea.

For good measure, though, this thread does miss @sjw2511's rants against Romano.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
In today's world, "time" is an actual currency. Just a few hours before mainstream is enough for someone to be special when those instances come so frequently and consistently in a spectacle (football transfers) followed closely by millions.
Fcuking hell. Give your head a wobble. He’s telling you that kicky ball man signed a piece of paper, a few hours before his employer does.

cafecillos

Millions and millions of people want to know as soon as possible. He is one of the best at providing that information.

Literally perplexed at what the issue is here.
They don't really know until the clubs and/or players confirm it officially though. The unbearably cringeworthy "here we go" shtick is actually worthless if you really want the peace of mind of literally knowing that a transfer has happened.

What I find funniest about his tweeting is when he adds "details" that are totally obviously made-up like "now the player will take 63 and a half hours to think about the offer", "Romelu didn't enjoy his beverage on the plane", "the offer is 5,710,019 lower than the selling club wants to get", "one of the doctors at the clinic where the medicals are taking place is on maternity leave", etc

lex talionis

There are plenty of mongerers of rumors, and of fish, out there. Romano just does a better job of promoting himself than the others who work as hard. Nothing wrong with that, though his brand is a bit cringey.

OverratedOpinion

They don't really know until the clubs and/or players confirm it officially though. The unbearably cringeworthy "here we go" shtick is actually worthless if you really want the peace of mind of literally knowing that a transfer has happened.
I reckon his percentages once he posts something definitive is pretty much 99% or around there.

You never know anything for sure, I remember when we signed Aaron Ramsay and the club announced it and don't get me started with John Obi Mikel. I am now totally confident we are signing Amrabat as Romano has confirmed it.

Cantona in disguise

Wish I could do what he does for a living. Beats wiring up machines and programming them. Fair play to the guy.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Some people find gossip columns valuable. Just because you do not does not make it not valuable
No they like it. That’s not a point of value. Adults can look at it and point out how silly it is.

I get it, people love the stuff. But I do suspect if you were told that we should laud the editor at The Daily Mail because he’s released the news that Prince Harry and Megan were coming to London for William’s birthday, a full day before a different editor… you’d laugh at them.

It’s identical. You do get that?

Ronaldinho's snakebite

You're talking about a guy breaking stuff a few hours before it's officially confirmed by a club anyway. It's not ground-breaking, it's barely news worthy. It's not journalistic investigation into anything related to the sporting side or business side of football. It's mundane, at best.

But then, I've never understood people's fascination with transfer season or muppetry, so I guess it's me.
Yes, it's you

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don’t care much for him and don’t mind him.
what I find silly is the people always eager to dismiss him and the jealousy that reeks off other journalists.

kaku06

I have never seen so match hatred from posters here for any other journalist like Ornstein for doing transfer news. Why does he rile some people so much?:lol: What’s the issue here? I’m genuinely perplexed.

CallyRed

I genuinely think some "fans" prefer the transfer window to the actual football games itself.

mu4c_20le

Don't mind him at all, but he seems to have a weird following of nerds who jump out to defend him whenever someone says something remotely negative.

Superden

I have never seen so match hatred from posters here for any other journalist like Ornstein for doing transfer news. Why does he rile some people so much?:lol: What’s the issue here? I’m genuinely perplexed.
its not hatred for the likes of Ornstein or Romano, we can recognise their 'talent' for what they produce. its hatred for this ridiculous gossip product, where breaking a transfer story minutes or hours before someone else is seen as an pulitzer prize winning accomplishment. and at the same time, the amount of ire directed at others for producing tittle tattle that doesnt suit someones narrative. its all just fluff.

gaffs

Created a product that nobody wanted or needed.

Calling him a journalist is galling. He’s a gossip columnist and a bit of a snake. Operates in a mucky space in the sport that we’d all be better off without. Manipulation of clubs and players for no positive end goal.

Modern fans are so weird.
Have you not seen the Caf transfer forum? The fact that he has millions of subscribers, suggests the products is very much wanted.

Romano didn't create transfer gossip.

The interview shows he has worked hard to get trusted sources for his information and won't publish stories that are not founded in reality.

kaku06

its not hatred for the likes of Ornstein or Romano, we can recognise their 'talent' for what they produce. its hatred for this ridiculous gossip product, where breaking a transfer story minutes or hours before someone else is seen as an pulitzer prize winning accomplishment. and at the same time, the amount of ire directed at others for producing tittle tattle that doesnt suit someones narrative. its all just fluff.
Has anyone said or treated like it’s a Pulitzer Prize? Stop using words that doesn’t make any sense.

Also, are you new to football or what? The transfer gossip is going on since the beginning of football. Players coming in and going out have been part and parcel of the product people love so much i.e Football. The arrival of a new signing to elevate their football team to further success is damn exciting to football fans.

And anyone who provides the accurate news first and foremost in a steaming pile of shit rumours has to be acknowledged not to be scoffed at. If you can’t understand such a simple concept and hate the hullabaloo around breaking a transfer story then the entire product is not for you. Talk about getting your knickers in a twist.

Superden

Has anyone said or treated like it’s a Pulitzer Prize? Stop using words that doesn’t make any sense.

Also, are you new to football or what? The transfer gossip is going on since the beginning of football. Players coming in and going out have been part and parcel of the product people love so much i.e Football. The arrival of a new signing to elevate their football team to further success is damn exciting to football fans.

And anyone who provides the accurate news first and foremost in a steaming pile of shit rumours has to be acknowledged not to be scoffed at. If you can’t understand such a simple concept and hate the hullabaloo around breaking a transfer story then the entire product is not for you. Talk about getting your knickers in a twist.
bold by me. honestly...

TheLord

Fcuking hell. Give your head a wobble. He’s telling you that kicky ball man signed a piece of paper, a few hours before his employer does.
And that earns him a cool 1 million per year from Twitter alone. Give it a rest.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
And that earns him a cool 1 million per year from Twitter alone. Give it a rest.
Does it feck :lol: :lol:

Twitter has only just introduced monetisation and the payouts are shocking.

KSI recently revealed for millions of impressions he got a “measly” in comparison to other social media outlets - £1500

So to claim he earns a million a year from Twitter “alone” is just pure ridiculousness and absurdity.

wr8_utd

What I find funniest about his tweeting is when he adds "details" that are totally obviously made-up like "now the player will take 63 and a half hours to think about the offer", "Romelu didn't enjoy his beverage on the plane", "the offer is 5,710,019 lower than the selling club wants to get", "one of the doctors at the clinic where the medicals are taking place is on maternity leave", etc
I find this the most amusing. His SOP is to steal tweets and then add on details that are absolute useless and clearly made up.

Trex

Guy gives transfer gist and is a decent source. I'm a united fan who likes to know who United wants to bring in to improve the squad. I'll go to Romano, Ornstein for my news because its more likely to be right compared to the dozen others out there.
What they do is not medicine or serving their country in the military but the whole football industry is just entertainment and has no deeper meaning, which is okay because this are the arts designed to create flavour and nothing more.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

He's better than the countless others who just scatter gun barely educated guess based rubbish in the hope one or two come to something by pure law of chance.

If every journo or person pretending to be on twitter was like Romano, there wouldn't be transfer muppetry, we'd just get transfer news instead.

This is why I quite like him, but at the same time it's not like he's a hero of the free world. He's a person on the internet who doesn't just completely make stuff up. The standard of integrity has just slipped so low that this alone has made him into some kind of weird transfers god.

UnrelatedPsuedo

People become billionaires through exploiting people all the time.

A gossip columnist getting paid isn’t going to make me revere him. I can respect his work ethic. But he’s not adding value anywhere. He’s less important to football than The Glazers and I’d delete them in a heartbeat.

Football fans are explainable.
Football single-player fans are weird.
Football gossip-lord fans are just children.