Fabrizio Romano

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
People become billionaires through exploiting people all the time.

A gossip columnist getting paid isn’t going to make me revere him. I can respect his work ethic. But he’s not adding value anywhere. He’s less important to football than The Glazers and I’d delete them in a heartbeat.

Football fans are explainable.
Football single-player fans are weird.
Football gossip-lord fans are just children.
You forgot Football single-manager fans. Sorry, fan.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He’s under scrutiny from some influencers.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This whole lets kill Greenwoods career and anyone who tries to help him campaign needs to stop

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He’s under scrutiny from some influencers.

That's a bs tweet, probably someone who has no idea about the game or players.

They didn't post his video because he is/was an abuser, they did because they landed a very good young player who has potential to play at very high level, sort of players Getafe have very little to no chance to land.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This whole lets kill Greenwoods career and anyone who tries to help him campaign needs to stop
I don't think in those tweets she is saying anything about killing his career, more about giving attention to it.

That's a bs tweet, probably someone who has no idea about the game or players.

They didn't post his video because he is/was an abuser, they did because they landed a very good young player who has potential to play at very high level, sort of players Getafe have very little to no chance to land.
She's talking about Romano reposting it in those tweets, not Getafe posting about getting Greenwood.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't think in those tweets she is saying anything about killing his career, more about giving attention to it.
There is clearly a concerted effort to kill his career in the same way there was one with Ched Evans. No one is saying the tweeter as an individual is attempting to do so.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Romano is a sport journalist who covers football, not sure what's wrong with that.
I don't think it is much of a reach though to suggest that he knows Greenwood will get clicks and interactions and I don't think either that it's poor form from someone to have a problem with someone using Greenwood for clicks and interactions.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There is clearly a concerted effort to kill his career in the same way there was one with Ched Evans. No one is saying the tweeter as an individual is attempting to do so.
People have the right to be against him being involved in football or their club ever again. In the same respect the clubs have the same right to ignore that and sign him, as Getafe have done. It's less about killing his career and more about wanting their sport and clubs to have the same aligned morals.

roonster09

Scout
I don't think it is much of a reach though to suggest that he knows Greenwood will get clicks and interactions and I don't think either that it's poor form from someone to have a problem with someone using Greenwood for clicks and interactions.
Yeah it gives click and interactions. It's weird that some twitter account is having problem with journalist tweeting news, just reposting it without any captions.

Ducker also reposted Greenwood video, I'm sure there are other journalists who did the same. It looks like that twitter account is the one looking for interactions by blaming Romano for posting news.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah it gives click and interactions. It's weird that some twitter account is having problem with journalist tweeting news, just reposting it without any captions.

Ducker also reposted Greenwood video, I'm sure there are other journalists who did the same. It looks like that twitter account is the one looking for interactions by blaming Romano for posting news.
I don't think it's that weird if you're against Greenwood and what he's alleged to have done, you likely don't want him to receive the attention and traction from big social media corporations and people.

Well yeah, if you're against something you likely want to call out that behaviour to try and cause change. Not saying that is right but I can understand why someone may be aggrieved by the attention Romano/other journalists/football is giving it.

roonster09

Scout
I don't think it's that weird if you're against Greenwood and what he's alleged to have done, you likely don't want him to receive the attention and traction from big social media corporations and people.

Well yeah, if you're against something you likely want to call out that behaviour to try and cause change. Not saying that is right but I can understand why someone may be aggrieved by the attention Romano/other journalists/football is giving it.
It's a big news, it would have been weird if Journalists didn't tweet about it. Player who was accused of Rape, domestic violence and suspended from the game for 18 months made a comeback, not just a no-body, one of the best young player in the league before the shit he did.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's a big news, it would have been weird if Journalists didn't tweet about it. Player who was accused of Rape, domestic violence and suspended from the game for 18 months made a comeback, not just a no-body, one of the best young player in the league before the shit he did.
Which is fine, but all you need to cover that news is the tweet saying Greenwood has gone from United to Getafe. Done. I think the issue here is that Romano is doing more than just that, he's posting videos of him being announced by Getafe etc.

roonster09

Scout
Which is fine, but all you need to cover that news is the tweet saying Greenwood has gone from United to Getafe. Done. I think the issue here is that Romano is doing more than just that, he's posting videos of him being announced by Getafe etc.
Ducker also did the same,

Here is Simon stone talking about how many people turned out to watch the training.

Adam Crafton also commented on how Getafe gave 0 fecks, there are many more journalists who retweeted and gave coverage to this news. Romano didn't even say anything, he just retweeted video saying Greenwood training.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Here is Simon stone talking about how many people turned out to watch the training.

Adam Crafton also commented on how Getafe gave 0 fecks, there are many more journalists who retweeted and gave coverage to this news. Romano didn't even say anything, he just retweeted video saying Greenwood training.
And I would assume she has a problem with all of those who are posting the videos and tweets and not commenting from her moral standpoint also.

roonster09

Scout
And I would assume she has a problem with all of those who are posting the videos and tweets and not commenting from her moral standpoint also.
She made a dumb point that only reason Romano tweeted it is because Greenwood is an abuser and comparing that to Forest signing Garner.

She might have strong moral stance but her reasoning is all over the place.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
She made a dumb point that only reason Romano tweeted it is because Greenwood is an abuser and comparing that to Forest signing Garner.

She might have strong moral stance but her reasoning is all over the place.
I don't think her line 'because he's an abuser?" was meant to be taken literally.

TsuWave

Always comes across as a decent guy

Romano and Ornstein are my go-to guys

roonster09

Scout
I don't think her line 'because he's an abuser?" was meant to be taken literally.
She built get entire tweet on that point.

Do you know what the worst thing about this tweet is?

This wouldn’t even be something that he would’ve posted about if he wasn’t an abuser, did he post a video of James Garner being welcomed at Nottingham Forest when he joined on loan from Man United? No he did not.

The fact that he is being glorified & being given this exposure like this bc of what he did is everything that is wrong with men in power in this industry, I’m sick of it.

gajender

She's talking about Romano reposting it in those tweets, not Getafe posting about getting Greenwood.
She herself could be accused of something similar If we are going down that path .

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
She built get entire tweet on that point.

Do you know what the worst thing about this tweet is?

This wouldn’t even be something that he would’ve posted about if he wasn’t an abuser, did he post a video of James Garner being welcomed at Nottingham Forest when he joined on loan from Man United? No he did not.

The fact that he is being glorified & being given this exposure like this bc of what he did is everything that is wrong with men in power in this industry, I’m sick of it.
Yes, but it reads to me like that line was flippant because she fails to understand why people would want to give Greenwood more attention than he is deserving of due to her moral values.

She herself could be accused of something similar If we are going down that path .
Possibly, but I think there is a difference in speaking out against something and what Romano posted.

Again, not saying I necessarily agree, but I can understand their point of view. All the Greenwood story needs in the press if you don't want them to get attention or limelight is a simple "Greenwood moves from United to Getafe". If you're against him then any slight inkling of positivity will irk you and you won't want to see it and you'd rather the journalists like Romano are posting in disapproval if they're going to post about it.

theballisround

So people are slating the ones supporting/bashing him?

Jesus this world is going to fecking shit.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Is your stance on CR7 similar? Genuine question.

I do not see the issue of reporters reporting on recent events

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is your stance on CR7 similar? Genuine question.

I do not see the issue of reporters reporting on recent events
I'm not posting from my perspective, I'm posting from what I believe her perspective is.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
She's not the sharpest tool in the shed
She's making a perfectly valid point and the fact you responded like that says a lot about you and your opinions

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
She's making a perfectly valid point and the fact you responded like that says a lot about you and your opinions
She's not making any point. Romano is posting news about a player unveiled at Getafe.

She can't get annoyed at a journalist doing their job.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
She's not making any point. Romano is posting news about a player unveiled at Getafe.

She can't get annoyed at a journalist doing their job.
I feel like it's pretty obvious she's making the point that certain men in our society celebrate abusers. Looking at some of the replies on here and elsewhere online she's not wrong, even if you don't think Romano is one of those men

tomaldinho1

The sad thing is if you're a journalist you will cover greenwood more now he's a person of controversy, it's a perfect storm for them because you are guaranteed loads of interactions around your tweet. For example, imagine greenwood scores a goal on his debut, you immediately just post something like 'United fans must be seething right now' and you rile up a huge fanbase with internal divides + get all the people invested in this case bombing in with their opinions + the twitter bots.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I feel like it's pretty obvious she's making the point that certain men in our society celebrate abusers. Looking at the some of the replies on here and elsewhere online she's not wrong.
Hes celebrated nothing. Hes reported a big transfer. Any man utd player leaving the club is going to get attention.

She's got no point. If she's angry that a club went in for him that's another point. But event hat is not Romano fault.

Remember the geese

People are so fuelled with anger and hatred. Greenwood is not "just a nobody who has gone on loan like hundreds of other players". If he had gone on loan to Getafe prior to the last 18 months, you don't think the likes of Romano would be reporting it or sharing videos of his arrival? Comparing it to Garner going on loan to Forest is bizarre. With Greenwood we are talking about a World Class talent and arguably the best English talent of his generation. Some are blood thirsty and obviously want him to be removed from existence.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Hes celebrated nothing. Hes reported a big transfer. Any man utd player leaving the club is going to get attention.

She's got no point. If she's angry that a club went in for him that's another point. But event hat is not Romano fault.
How is reposting a video directly from the club with absolutely no context around the situation reporting a big transfer? It comes across as celebrating it because that's what fans do on Twitter when they sign a new player, post videos of the reveals.

I thought he was supposed to be some sort of amazing journalist but he doesn't seem to do any actual journalism. Does anyone have any examples of insight Romano has provided on literally any football topic that you can't find elsewhere?

Seveneric

The social media age (yes I know, old man yells at cloud) is filled with parasocial morons. We have people who are probably ready to take up arms (not literally) for random tiktokers they have never met, so it's not at all surprising that people who enjoy football would admire Romano and what he does.

flameinthesun

I feel like it's pretty obvious she's making the point that certain men in our society celebrate abusers. Looking at some of the replies on here and elsewhere online she's not wrong, even if you don't think Romano is one of those men
No idea how Romano doing his job suddenly makes makes him a man who celebrates abusers.

Honestly, both sides need to just move on and let the guy continue with his career because he is not a convicted abuser to demonise and he is not a squeeky clean boy to champion. Romano is literally doing his job, Getafe (in the context of this specific player) have the right to publicise him however they want. Her tweet makes 0 sense in the context of Romano's tweet. If she doesn't want to follow Romano or any journalist that reports on it, fair enough, but this whole trying to continue to destroy any semblance of a career rebuild for Greenwood is silly.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Not a fan of journalism where the only sources of information are off-the-record comments from a primary source that has a vested interest in the story.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How is reposting a video directly from the club with absolutely no context around the situation reporting a big transfer? It comes across as celebrating it because that's what fans do on Twitter when they sign a new player, post videos of the reveals.

I thought he was supposed to be some sort of amazing journalist but he doesn't seem to do any actual journalism. Does anyone have any examples of insight Romano has provided on literally any football topic that you can't find elsewhere?
Romano is a micro reporter. Minor tid bits of news has long been his forte. Again, Romano has not endorsed nor shared any opinion. Hes sharing news.

As a free lance journalist who has a unique business model, this sort of micro update is all part of his game. It has feck all to do with Greenwood. The tweeter knows this too, she's just trying to virtue signal to get her platform out.