Fabrizio Romano

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Those few hours are everything... in what sense? In getting more likes and retweets? Cos it certainly has no incidence on the clubs' business and their transfers. By the time he announces it, the transfer is done, he has no bearing on anything. He's just a glorified mouthpiece.
Like I said it isn't for you, but for the social media generation, those few hours of fanfare in transfer season is what makes it entertaining.

Not everything in life has to add deep meaning, it is harmless fun.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Like I said it isn't for you, but for the social media generation, those few hours of fanfare in transfer season is what makes it entertaining.

Not everything in life has to add deep meaning, it is harmless fun.
That's fine. Lauding it as quality work or, shock, journalism, is just entirely daft.

Wheato

Literally every sports journalist, newspaper and social media channel in Europe is hanging off his twitter feed. He said that we were in for Amrabat back in June and he was spot on.

You only need to follow him and Ornstein as they seem to have all the football agents in their pocket. It's very rarely the clubs that give all this info away. It's the agents, because they know these moves gain traction the more people know about it. Other clubs come in, the fees go up etc...

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
He's adding basically nothing of use to the world. Which is fine, most of us aren't really - but to act as though he's doing god's work and as though he's a genuine journalist that the rest of the profession should aspire to, is ridiculous.

He seems full of his own self-importance

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And why does it matter, exactly? What is the value of his work?
It matters because he needs to cement himself as an established journalist who knows information accurately and is one of the first on it.

If he misses out then it hurts his following. Romano is free lance really. He depends on this so he needs to be on it.

Superden

i am a transfer muppet. and i love reading the rumours and the gossip. but im also an an adult, with a functioning intelligence. so i treat this as entertainment and not 'news', and also a major manufactured distraction from the real 'news' when it comes to professional football and transfers, the movement of money and whats revealed and whats kept dark. although i think more and more people are coming to realise that many player transfers have nothing to do with football / squad building and more to do with relationships between agents and clubs etc.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Makes me laugh how whenever Ornstein tweets a breaking story he'll very shortly after retweet his own previous vague information on it. Bit insecure.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Makes me laugh how whenever Ornstein tweets a breaking story he'll very shortly after retweet his own previous vague information on it. Bit insecure.
Ornstein himself has credited Romano for breaking stories first too for what it's worth.

Nicolarra90

I don't know how reliable he truly is or isn't, but I find his rephrasing abilities to be excellent considering English is probably not his first language. Other than that, his catchphrase routine is pure cringe, and the fact that thousands of grown-ass men love it is deeply embarrassing.
The kid that never had a Nintendo :lol:

Rooney in Paris

Scout
It matters because he needs to cement himself as an established journalist who knows information accurately and is one of the first on it.

If he misses out then it hurts his following. Romano is free lance really. He depends on this so he needs to be on it.
Again, that doesn't address what I'm asking at all or the value of his work.

mufc_sd

The thing about Fab, for me is that he recycles the same news to the point where it becomes irritating I've noticed also he hides some info in his YouTube videos and other channels that pay him to be there. I understand that he's a freelancer, but he can be very annoying at times.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Again, that doesn't address what I'm asking at all or the value of his work.
Of course it addresses the value of his work. The value of his work is intrinsically linked to forever being alert on the latest movements on transfers.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Ask his many followers
Not quite the gotcha response you might think it is.
Of course it addresses the value of his work. The value of his work is intrinsically linked to forever being alert on the latest movements on transfers.
It really doesn't, at all. But it's fine if you enjoy what he does.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You’ve never understood why fans are excited about seeing what players their clubs are signing?
Not when the signings are Reguilon and the kitman from Fernerbahce

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not quite the gotcha response you might think it is.

It really doesn't, at all. But it's fine if you enjoy what he does.
I never said I enjoy what he does.

I said as a free lance journalist, it was vital that he was always available to build his credibility and establish+maintain his reputation.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I think fair play to the bloke, man worked pretty hard to come from basically nowhere to being one, if not THE most reliable source of transfer news on the planet.

He saw a gap in the market and went for it, fair play.
i agree with this, fair dues to him that his hard work is paying off. He is pretty accurate in a business that would have a lot of smoke and mirrors, haters will jump on any missteps and of course he will get sold a pup by contacts at times to suit a clubs agenda.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
You said you don't understand transfer silly season so all of this talk will be for naught.

Different people like different things. He has millions of followers because he provides them with something they want and that is enough. That is his value.

Will he win a Pulitzer? unlikely, but to say he does no journalism is false. It's not groundbreaking investigative journalism, but it is journalism and he has vlogged about his process many times.

There is a gotcha element to his style, but that is to be expected as he is self-employed and not funded like the Atheltic journalists. His livelihood comes from social media interactions, so it is pretty obvious that he needs to and will maximise that. If you can't wrap your head around that concept then that's on you.

kaku06

Why so many people here get pissed off by him for simply doing transfer news? I have never seen that much bile spewed on Ornstein for doing the same work? Romano doesn’t come as obnoxious or arrogant. He doesn’t do clickbait even. He might get some transfer news wrong sometimes but he gets plenty right more often than not. So where this hate is coming from? Some get pissed off even by his catchphrase. What a sad bunch of people.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I never said I enjoy what he does.

I said as a free lance journalist, it was vital that he was always available to build his credibility and establish+maintain his reputation.
You're talking about the value for himself, basically. Not the value of his work.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
You said you don't understand transfer silly season so all of this talk will be for naught.

Different people like different things. He has millions of followers because he provides them with something they want and that is enough. That is his value.

Will he win a Pulitzer? unlikely, but to say he does no journalism is false. It's not groundbreaking investigative journalism, but it is journalism and he has vlogged about his process many times.

There is a gotcha element to his style, but that is to be expected as he is self-employed and not funded like the Atheltic journalists. His livelihood comes from social media interactions, so it is pretty obvious that he needs to and will maximise that. If you can't wrap your head around that concept then that's on you.
I can wrap myself around the concept, and still think that it's pretty worthless, and not understand why someone like him pretty much has fanboys, no?

Judas

Open to offers
Adults getting angry about some twitter Bloke is a lot weirder to me. He’s not some oracle, but he’s done very well for himself doing what he does, and in turn has probably bluffed his way into have a ton of legitimate contacts.

Judas

Open to offers
I can wrap myself around the concept, and still think that it's pretty worthless, and not understand why someone like him pretty much has fanboys, no?
Think you’re just showing your age, no offense. He’s basically just a social media celebrity at this point. Anyone and everyone with an online platform of any great size ends up with fans, especially in an online circle as over the topic and ridiculous as football fandom on twitter.

OverratedOpinion

Adults getting angry about some twitter Bloke is a lot weirder to me. He’s not some oracle, but he’s done very well for himself doing what he does, and in turn has probably bluffed his way into have a ton of legitimate contacts.
The people who don't like him really confuse me.

He is so inoffensive and generally pretty spot on. I find a lot of football journalists really unlikable but he seems fine.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Makes zero sense, if nobody wanted or needed it, he would not be popular
Oh, so people only consume what they need?

It’s just noisy shite. There’s no product there, no benefit to what he does, no value generation. It’s an online gossip column.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You're talking about the value for himself, basically. Not the value of his work.
No, I'm showing the value of his work. Top free lance journalists are alert all the time. He's almost always right, and he's got tons of exlcusives, and he's one of the first on news breaks for a reason.

Baxquux

Complete attention hoe and 'tap in merchant', but savvy and 2-3 times as reliable as our local journalists, particularly Luckhurst/MEN and ESPN Manchester correspondents...

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
His net worth is £1.6m and growing. All from something he would have done for free. He truly has wrote his own ticket.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Created a product that nobody wanted or needed.
Think of him what you want but this is simply incorrect. His account gets the most traction on Twitter worldwide, so clearly there's an enormous interest in what he brings to the table.

I rate him in the sense that he basically made his own career and seems to have an extremely high work ethic. The work he does doesn't interest me that much but there's clearly a market for it so fair play to him for exploiting it.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Think you’re just showing your age, no offense. He’s basically just a social media celebrity at this point. Anyone and everyone with an online platform of any great size ends up with fans, especially in an online circle as over the topic and ridiculous as football fandom on twitter.
Oh no offense taken, and it's probably the case. Doesn't really change the basis of what I'm saying though. The bolded part is basically how I feel, and it's absolutely wasn't the point of OP.
No, I'm showing the value of his work. Top free lance journalists are alert all the time. He's almost always right, and he's got tons of exlcusives, and he's one of the first on news breaks for a reason.
You're really not. But I guess we'll have to leave it at that.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Think of him what you want but this is simply incorrect. His account gets the most traction on Twitter worldwide, so clearly there's an enormous interest in what he brings to the table.

I rate him in the sense that he basically made his own career and seems to have an extremely high work ethic. The work he does doesn't interest me that much but there's clearly a market for it so fair play to him for exploiting it.
Do you revere top Paparazzis? The ones that have the best connections with Hollywood agents in order to get the best photos of A-Listers coming out of restaurants?

Because that’s all he’s doing.

It’s an entirely invented ‘industry’ and there’s literally no value in it. It dumbfounds me that people think there is. What is he doing? Confirming transfers… that get confirmed anyway.

He’s satisfying the urges of adult children that couldn’t possibly wait until the club they support announces something a few hours later.

I don’t even dislike him. I just think the whole construct is silly and I’ve never heard anyone produce anything meaningful to suggest otherwise. It’s all ‘feelings’.

If folks want to treat transfer speculation as a hobby, cool. But it’s got as much real world value as playing with Lego.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Do you revere top Paparazzis? The ones that have the best connections with Hollywood agents in order to get the best photos of A-Listers coming out of restaurants?

It’s an entirely invented ‘industry’ and there’s literally no value in it. It dumbfounds me that people think there is. What is he doing? Confirming transfers… that get confirmed anyway.

He’s satisfying the urges of adult children that couldn’t possibly wait until the club they support announces something a few hours later.

I don’t even dislike him. I just think the whole construct is silly and I’ve never heard anyone produce anything meaningful to suggest otherwise. It’s all ‘feelings’.

If folks want to treat transfer speculation as a hobby, cool. But it’s got as much real world value as playing with Lego.
You said he created a product that no one wanted, I just pointed out that that's incorrect since clearly loads of folks are interested in what he has to say.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Football is an entirely invented industry that has no real world value. What’s your point?

DickDastardly

Take that back! Now!!!

UnrelatedPsuedo

You said he created a product that no one wanted, I just pointed out that that's incorrect since clearly loads of folks are interested in what he has to say.
I don’t equal consumption with value. That’s just silly.

It’s an online gossip column, nothing more, nothing less. Elevating it as anything more than that is my only issue.

Redstain

I find it difficult to understand what should be admired in all this.

You're talking about a guy breaking stuff a few hours before it's officially confirmed by a club anyway. It's not ground-breaking, it's barely news worthy. It's not journalistic investigation into anything related to the sporting side or business side of football. It's mundane, at best.

But then, I've never understood people's fascination with transfer season or muppetry, so I guess it's me.
Its significance comes because it's an industry where most journalists / reporters have such poor sources or networks they create fabricated stories in order to receive a following or post their own summation of developments with no credibility. A lie always empowers the truth, that's why Romano will be a significant player in that industry.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very good journalist or whatever you want to call. You can read so many transfer news just following him and couple of other accounts.

One of the most reliable journalist Ornstein gave him credit many times for breaking the stories.