6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriac

Don't think he's ready to start, but would like to see him get more chances. The problem is likely that while we are most of the time winning somewhat convincingly, we're not always safely ahead, need to see it through, so we aren't able to give him those chances without risk.

This is just my own theory, but I think he might be struggling in training against the more physical PL-defenders, compared to the Spanish who normally aren't as rough.
Similarly he might be struggling with jockeying for defensive duties due to his smaller frame.

I'd be more comfortable with him getting 30 mins if AWB is behind him.

georgipep

Don't think he's ready to start, but would like to see him get more chances. The problem is likely that while we are most of the time winning somewhat convincingly, we're not always safely ahead, need to see it through, so we aren't able to give him those chances without risk.

This is just my own theory, but I think he might be struggling in training against the more physical PL-defenders, compared to the Spanish who normally aren't as rough.
Similarly he might be struggling with jockeying for defensive duties due to his smaller frame.

Due to his profile (ex-winger, less passing ability, more acceleration), AWB plays so much more advanced than Dalot, when in possession. Dalot (usually) tucks in as midfielder while AWB plays near the edge of the opposition penalty box.

This is Dalot's heatmap from last night:

This is AWB's heatmap from last night:

Based solely on last night, Dalot was far more defensive than AWB.

This is Dalot's seasonal heatmap:

This is AWB's seasonal heatmap:

As many posters here have noted, Dalot is far better in covering far post and defending deeper (when tackling is really not a good option).

AWB is naturally a better dribbler and thus operates, on average, higher up the pitch due to his carrying ability. Dalot plays a lot more laterally because he is able to find space and pass a lot better.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Have to think he will get a start next Thursday with Sancho off the left. Martial is back in training by all accounts so if that was the front 3 with Elanga on for Martial after 60/70 then I wouldn't be moaning.

Matriac

Due to his profile (ex-winger, less passing ability, more acceleration), AWB plays so much more advanced than Dalot, when in possession. Dalot (usually) tucks in as midfielder while AWB plays near the edge of the opposition penalty box.

This is Dalot's heatmap from last night:

This is AWB's heatmap from last night:

Based solely on last night, Dalot was far more defensive than AWB.

This is Dalot's seasonal heatmap:

This is AWB's seasonal heatmap:

As many posters here have noted, Dalot is far better in covering far post and defending deeper (when tackling is really not a good option).

AWB is naturally a better dribbler and thus operates, on average, higher up the pitch due to his carrying ability. Dalot plays a lot more laterally because he is able to find space and pass a lot better.

I don't want to go too deep into discussing Dalot vs AWB in a thread about neither of them.

But the reason why I said AWB over Dalot is that I think AWB is the safer choice if asked to defend the right side without much help from their winger. AWB goes forward a lot more now when he can rely on help with defensive duties. Antony does this really well.

Once Pellistri has proved himself and got some experience with the energy and pace of the PL, then maybe he could work well with Dalot, but as it is I don't think ETH wants to take that chance unless we're 3 up.

georgipep

I don't want to go too deep into discussing Dalot vs AWB in a thread about neither of them.

But the reason why I said AWB over Dalot is that I think AWB is the safer choice if asked to defend the right side without much help from their winger. AWB goes forward a lot more now when he can rely on help with defensive duties. Antony does this really well.

Once Pellistri has proved himself and got some experience with the energy and pace of the PL, then maybe he could work well with Dalot, but as it is I don't think ETH wants to take that chance unless we're 3 up.
I can agree with the bolded part but am not too sure about the underlined.
But let's not continue polluting Pellistri's thread on this.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Could be right but it would be easy to start him in a Cup game and then sub him at HT if he was struggling.
Bit past that idea for this season, but I would like to see that next season for sure. He's exciting to watch, still raw but won't improve without the game time that Garnacho gets

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If he's not utilised enough between now and the end of the season, he'll probably look to leave, and I'm not sure anyone would blame him for doing so, especially so with us having no standout performer on the right.

criticalanalysis

Absolutely - when he did the move, I was like "that's never gonna work", but he really pulled it off. That ducking move whilst running, I've seen very fast players do it before. Keeps your center of gravity low. It was his balance and center of gravity and that composure towards the end that really surprised me. Hopefully we get to see more of him.
To be fair, that was really poor defending from the Betis player there. He let Pellistri drive inwards towards the box far too easily. I would be fuming if it was Shaw/Malacia or any of our players.

Not taking any credit away from Pellistri as he took the initiative and did really well of course.

I think he should be used like Garnacho has. Against tired legs and in games where we've already got much of a stranglehold and are looking to break the opposition in transition. Or against lower quality opposition.

jesperjaap

If he's not utilised enough between now and the end of the season, he'll probably look to leave, and I'm not sure anyone would blame him for doing so, especially so with us having no standout performer on the right.
Cant disagree, he seems to have not got super positive comments from fans here due to his inactivity at a poor side on loan.

I really like him though, dont think he has quite the quality of Garnacho.....but I do feel he should be gettign more opportunities than he has. Any yough football, preseason or appearance I have seen, think he looks promising. Different player, but like Garnacho he is fast and very direct. He did over run the ball a couple of tiimes, looking over excited and trying too hard to make an impression, but I think he is alo technically creative from times have seen him.....I actually think he could be developed into a good numbe r10 like an Aimar or Ortega....but liek you say, I am not sure it will be here if he isnt played, and I think that could be regretful as I think there is a rally good player, personally prefer him to Amad and Elanga from what I have seen

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yeah it’s strange really. He’s getting chances, all be it slowly, yet people still complain.
There were no posts on this thread for almost a month (Feb 11 to Mar 6). I was disappointed we didn't give him minutes but was happy to see this thread being so quiet: it meant Antony and the team were doing well.

Then we conceded seven goals with no reply and everyone's making a fuss again.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

He isn't a defensive inverted winger like Antony but he is very disciplined and effective in his defensive work (couple of screw ups v Forest really surprised me).

You are right though that in training he is likely up against Shawberto and Rashers which is far and away our strongest channel. That probably doesn't help him but isn't at all your average PL left flank.

I reckon he would work better with Dalot, both in attack and defence, as he is a combination/1-2 player. In attack we saw it vs Leeds, in defence upon recovery or having to play out of trouble I wouldn't prefer him combining with AWB but Dalot.

pascell

He barely got game time for Alaves over two seasons, does that play a factor in this theory? Or is it just that players all develop at different rates?

wangyu

That assist Pellistri made for Weghorst is what I love about football, I want to see more of this coming from Utd players, this is what I expected Antony to offer but he is too limited with only a left foot to produce this kind of stuff on the right.

I hope this is the start of more cameos. I remember one particularly lively game by him at the world cup, don’t remember which game any more (it was not their opening game as I thought he was just a passenger there)but he has stuff to offer that others don’t have and that is good for our squad and unpredictability.

I prefer the directness and bravery of Garnacho and Pellistri over Antony and Sancho

432JuanMata

Though I can see why he doesn’t start to be fair as he is raw and as we seen with Garnacho when young you are inconsistent and drop the odd stinker but I don’t know why he doesn’t feature more as everytime he comes on he looks impressive.

When in the WC I thought he was the best of the front 3 which consisted of Nunez and Suarez. I do understand him not starting as seen before with young players who come on and impress then start and have a letdown.

We need to see more him coming on and hopefully he gets a start in Betis

city-puma

Though I can see why he doesn’t start to be fair as he is raw and as we seen with Garnacho when young you are inconsistent and drop the odd stinker but I don’t know why he doesn’t feature more as everytime he comes on he looks impressive.

When in the WC I thought he was the best of the front 3 which consisted of Nunez and Suarez. I do understand him not starting as seen before with young players who come on and impress then start and have a letdown.

We need to see more him coming on and hopefully he gets a start in Betis
It’s the balance and also the off-ball work. I’m sure ETH is helping him improve his weakness in training. He will get more opportunities, no doubt about it. Note that ETH seldom throws a new player directly into game. He always gradually integrates the players. Butland only made the bench first time yesterday since the loan move.

432JuanMata

It’s the balance and also the off-ball work. I’m sure ETH is helping him improve his weakness in training. He will get more opportunities, no doubt about it. Note that ETH seldom throws a new player directly into game. He always gradually integrates the players. Butland only made the bench first time yesterday since the loan move.
Yeah I agree, what the caf sees is a great performance off the bench vs a team who were being hammered and were tired. I would like to see him start and see if he is able to hold his own against fresh defenders and also tracks back.
Ten Haag obviously rates him but also sees things that need to be ironed out but hopefully it works out as he’s a top talent

Bondi77

To be fair, that was really poor defending from the Betis player there. He let Pellistri drive inwards towards the box far too easily. I would be fuming if it was Shaw/Malacia or any of our players.

Not taking any credit away from Pellistri as he took the initiative and did really well of course.

I think he should be used like Garnacho has. Against tired legs and in games where we've already got much of a stranglehold and are looking to break the opposition in transition. Or against lower quality opposition.
True,
It was also shocking defending that Antony was allowed to cut in and get his shot off for his very good goal as the defender must how that is his main attacking weapon.
Probably more excusable for the defence to make mistakes later in the game though.

croadyman

Hope he gets a few more sub appearances,think IF we had scored another two against Betis he could have started second leg.

Glorio

That 4th goal happened because their fullback forgot that wingers were allowed to take on their man on the outside after playing against Antony for 85 mins.
I know you jest, but I was thinking the exact same thing! It must have been a complete shock out of nowhere! :lol:

flameinthesun

Facundo definitely should be getting more opportunities, but the talk of him being better than Antony for example is a bit much. Whether in spain or the few times Facundo has played for us its clear he thrives when there is space and struggles a bit when things are tight. He doesn't have that consistency in his game which is why I think Ten Hag hasn't given him more games from the start. It is a bit of a catch 22 as he will need to play to iron out those weaknesses but at the same time Ten Hag probably can't afford to try him out.

We've been here before with young players in Gomes, Petrucci, Tosic, Possebon etc where we want them to play but for some reason the management team doesn't give them a lot of chances. In the end most of the time the management team are proven right, with the odd pogba type player proving the exception, as they see the player day in day out.

Glorio

For those saying he should get Elanga's minutes, hasn't that mostly happened since the WC?

Unsure, but while I don't believe we've seen Pellistri enough, I feel since the WC he's featured more than Elanga

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
For those saying he should get Elanga's minutes, hasn't that mostly happened since the WC?

Unsure, but while I don't believe we've seen Pellistri enough, I feel since the WC he's featured more than Elanga
Combination of Garnacho and Pellistri have pretty much got Elanga’s minutes. Think Elanga will be quietly moved on in summer.

Rolaholic

With all the noise from the gaffer this week, could he be in line for a rare start tomorrow?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
With all the noise from the gaffer this week, could he be in line for a rare start tomorrow?
Doubtful but it would be nice to see him rewarded. Be nice to see an actual Winger on the right too. Antony is anything but a winger. All he cares about is shooting.

NLunited

We now have both wings settled: just need to add a striker to our attack.

Chief123

I think we’ll see more of him in the coming games hopefully. Positive news that ETH contemplated playing him at Anfield.

RuudTom83

With 5 subs allowed I really don't see why both wings shouldn't be refreshed after 70 mins...regardless of the score tbh.

Antony, Garnacho, Sancho and Pellistri should all be rotated and used to give the opposition fullbacks absolute hell.

Abraxas

He's like an old school winger for me. Would be great in the 4-4-2 days. Loves playing on the outside, can cross, enthusiastic. If there were two natural targets that enjoy crosses into the box he'd be perfect.

It's a bit more complicated these days of course, you're expected to score a lot more and that means operating between the posts more often. That's where he's got to develop because his goalscoring record is really poor.

Pretty happy to have him as an option. Never convinced anyone else looks comfortable on that right side after Antony whereas he does.

Scottynaldinho

Smooth operator

Ten Hag spoke well about him post match. Says he’s been good in training and deserves his opportunity. I’m sure we’ll see more of him as we did with Garnacho.

Not sure why everyone panics he’ll leave then again it is the Caf. Make a drama out if anything!
His agent already said that he'll leave.

Bondi77

Nice to see him getting praise from Erik for his efforts.
We have great options on the wings at the moment and there is nothing stopping us just hooking one if he is being ineffective in a game and each one brings something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.