Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

Yakuza_devils

We bought Onana and Bayindir with big money to downgrade from DDG and Henderson. This is what a non existent football structure and a no experience DOF do the club.

Cloud7

De gea was and still is bobbins. I miss him not
Agreed mate. Like no matter how much mistakes Onana may make, or the fact that I am not sure if he is it right now, nothing makes me miss DDG or think that he is the answer to anything going on in the team right now. Onana may be a problem, but so was DDG and he was definitely not a solution to anything.

sugar_kane

De Gea’s mentality was in the toilet and he showed no sign of sorting himself out. He'd either fallen out of love with football or his confidence was shattered, maybe both.

The fact he still doesn't have a club in 2024 nor has any serious links speaks volumes. It wouldn’t surprise me if he never played again.

PS. Onana is dreadful. The biggest mistake was not having a back up we have any faith in in case he turned out to be a disaster, which he has.

The Bloody-Nine

If your defence concedes 0.1xG shots 10 times, on average you will concede 1 goal. The goal you concede though will be from a 0.1xG chance so it looks bad even though that is the expected outcome.

In 20 games Onana has a +2.9 xG prevented which means he's actually saved 2.9 more goals than average. For reference last season DDG finished with a -0.7 xG prevented which meant he conceded more goals than expected. Having said that, Onana has been at fault for some of the xG we've conceded from mistakes such as fumbled saves and not claiming crosses. However he hasn't been as bad as the fanbase has made out.
"Expected goals" is not a statistic and this post is complete nonsense.

Last edited:

LDUred

The only reason why he's first choice right now is because Ten Hag has no confidence in Bayindir and Heaton, which is like him keeping faith in Hojlund because his other options are Martial and Joe Hugill.

If we still had a reserve keeper like Henderson or Romero it would be easy for Ten Hag to give one of them a run, but we have somehow managed to lumber ourselves with a reserve keeper who we have no confidence in at all.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Will Bayandir actually play if/when Onana goes to the AFCON?

Serious question.
If Bayandir is playing against Spurs and, potentially, the next round of the FA Cup, then it makes no sense not to play him against Wigan. It'll be better to have a game under his belt before we have a league fixture.

Pronewbie

Peep
He is bobbins but the way fans are so quick to jump on him for every goal is ridiculous. Never thought he was to blame for both goals against Forest and I just watched Ben Foster share the same opinion.

erikcred

He is bobbins but the way fans are so quick to jump on him for every goal is ridiculous. Never thought he was to blame for both goals against Forest and I just watched Ben Foster share the same opinion.
That's because he's bobbins.

We don't really expect him to save any shot that isn't right at him or within arms reach without diving.

The opposition players know that if they basically just get the shot on target outside his "falling down" zone, it's a goal.

RedCurry

Our goalkeepers will struggle no matter who we get. We don’t get goals so midfielders break the organization and push forward which results in free shots at the goal. If we reduce shots on goal, our keepers will concede fewer goals. It’s not so complicated.

MegadrivePerson

A number of reports saying that Onana will be able to stay until the Spurs game, even though Cameroon play the day after?

doughole

Similar to Barthez, world class but you still get nervous when he's near the ball.

Varane around town

Bayindir was first choice for Fenebache last year.... he should be good enough to cover for Onana at AFCON. Without us needing to go cap in hand to Cameroon asking to keep in for an extra game

Gordon Godot

We bought Onana and Bayindir with big money to downgrade from DDG and Henderson. This is what a non existent football structure and a no experience DOF do the club.
Exactly this. Noone comments on the fact that the summer before Onana was available on a FREE!!! I think we would be less upset as a free signing we could move on, probably less pressure on him too. It was obvious for a while that DDG didnt suit playing out from the back and once his freakish shot stopping faded and his mistakes crept up, we should have been scouting replacements. Still think Raya was a better shout even with his shaky start, he showed at Brentford he was a top keeper.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Becoming clear now that Cameroon will not allow him to play Vs Spurs AND start the first AFCON game (which is only normal since they are 24hrs apart) so I guess it's his choice on which is the priority

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
This clip is entitled great save, but it's not a save, it a block and it leaves the ball in a dangerous area. If he had held on to the ball, or pushed it off the pitch, fair enough, but it just pushes the ball back into play.

It's a poor block.

https://youtube.com/shorts/JVRbIhC0dIw?si=xvg68NnSs-VtQc5T
He always does this or punches. I’m not sure I’ve seen him catch a ball. He causes his own problems, and it’s basic goalkeeping.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This clip is entitled great save, but it's not a save, it a block and it leaves the ball in a dangerous area. If he had held on to the ball, or pushed it off the pitch, fair enough, but it just pushes the ball back into play.

It's a poor block.

Nah that's a good save (not getting into semantics of save/block) given the speed of the play and almost point blank range

He still makes me nervous but credit when it's due

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
If he pushes it back at the player who originally made the shot and effectively gives him a 2nd chance, how is that good?
It's good because he stopped what looked likely to be a goal - not saying it's a world class save or anything

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017

It's a poor block.

Christ he is fighting a losing battle with opinions like these :lol: What are you suggesting he should have done in this situation?

I'm not saying people should rate him as he's clearly had a shaky season but that clip is nothing other than really good, proactive goalkeeping to block a clear goalscoring opportunity from 7 yards out! ... "A poor block" FFS

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It's a poor block.

:lol: Absolute horsheshit. Look where the ball ends up, "leaves the ball in a dangerous area", my arse. Plus you do realise that a goalkeeper often doesn't have any chance to direct a save into a specific area of the pitch? Like, for example, when they have to sprint across the goal and dive at someone's feet to block a far post tap in...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

It's a poor block.

Nah, there are definitely examples of times where he's displayed questionable saving technique, but this is absolutely not one of them.

It's just a good save

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Let me guess, Inter are rubbish now Onana has left, they can’t play out from the back and are struggling. nah they are top of the league and have conceded less goals than last year..
Are you dropping a bombshell here that Yann Sommer is actually a good goalkeeper? Who knew?!? He's also 35 years old and Inter will be looking for a replacement shortly.