Fans behaviour

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Yet the UK government wants drinking back in the stands, so twats can chuck their lager into the air and all over their fellow fans. That will cause no end of fights itself.
It happens in Rugby matches up and down the country without rioting.

The Mitcher

Andy Robertson said he gave his mate a ticket and the security told him it was fake, which clearly wouldn't have been the case. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sticking the boot into Liverpool fans but it looked on the face of it like the people jibbing were actually doing it because they were frustrated at not being let in legally. If so, I would certainly understand that and have great sympathy.

The Parisian police are well known pricks, as are UEFA, and they would probably have really enjoyed fecking over some English fans after the Euros final, Brexit etc. England and English fans currently have as bad a rep as they have ever had on the continent I think.
As a former steward, the French are probably worse. I remember St Ettiene fans fighting cops outside the megastore a few years ago during a europa league match. They also snuck in flares.

The Mitcher

Rugby has a different crowd, when was the last time there was crowd trouble at a rugby match?
Considering I've stewarded both types, I don't think they are. The difference is organisational and rule based. Rugby fans don't get sloshed before the match because they can drink in the stand. A lot of football fans get drunk and unruly because they are incentivised to drink before the match at the pub, and then in the concourse.

Classical Mechanic

Considering I've stewarded both types, I don't think they are. The difference is organisational and rule based. Rugby fans don't get sloshed before the match because they can drink in the stand. A lot of football fans get drunk and unruly because they are incentivised to drink before the match at the pub, and then in the concourse.
Do you steward League or Union?

The Mitcher

I'm going to ask a very simple question: Why everytime Brits leave the UK, especially to football away matches, they're acting like total bellends with minimal education?
I love the UK and its culture, but boy when you leave its premises you're one of the stupidest around.
You continentals have no right to talk about stuff like that. I've seen plenty of Dutch, Italian and French tourists/football fans engage in just this type of behaviour.

It seems to me you don't actually "love" our culture, considering your stereotypical view of us.

The Mitcher

Do you steward League or Union?
I was a steward for United. I was there for at least two or three grand finals, I don't think rugby crowds are made up of totally different people. The same working class peolle, in fact they are rowdier, but still no major issues.

Classical Mechanic

I was a steward for United. I was there for at least two or three grand finals, I don't think rugby crowds are made up of totally different people. The same working class peolle, in fact they are rowdier, but still no major issues.
There's no hooligan culture in Rugby League or Union though. I think it's a case of a minority ruining it for the majority in football.

hp88

Ticketless Scousers caused some issues yesterday but seems like the Police were the biggest culprits yesterday. Seen clips of supporters from both side getting a beating or sprayed for no reason.

WTF is this all about ?

Dansk

It's strange watching the accepted narrative around Europe that loads of Liverpool fans had no/fake tickets and stormed the ground trying to get in, so French police shut the gates, vs the British media spinning it that innocent fans were violently turned away.

It strikes me as strange that Madrid fans had no issues and its far from the first time that English and especially Liverpool fans have had such troubles. Its quite hard to argue the numerous videos of Liverpool shirted fans climbing fences and running through ticket checks.
Yeah, there's two distinct stories: the one that English media is sticking to, and then the one that the entire rest of the world does. We can see the videos and images with our own eyes. People in Liverpool kit climbing fences, charging through barricades, etc. Unless they want to claim it was some kind of fecking false flag operation made to discredit them, it's pretty obvious what happened. I quite doubt that a gang of local French youth would go out and buy Liverpool shirts and carry out a false flag attack on their own stadium just to make LFC look bad.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

You'll never assault alone.

fecking French police.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

I'm going to ask a very simple question: Why everytime Brits leave the UK, especially to football away matches, they're acting like total bellends with minimal education?
I love the UK and its culture, but boy when you leave its premises you're one of the stupidest around.
Its not an brits problem, it’s an everyone problem..

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think we need to try and harness this, while giving an outlet to the more violent and sociopathic amongst us to express themselves.

After the game, the players vacate the pitch, and 10 supporters from each side enter the pitch and fight it out until one side is incapacitated or dead. The winning side get an extra goal for every person that survived.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I mean the Bucarest stuff seems kind of random. They throw a few flares in front of their block. They shouldn't do that, but people can just step aside a few meters and no one will get hurt. What I don't understand is why there seems to be no police in the other videos. Everyone knows something might happen when a big club gets relegated, so why is no one on hand when it actually happens?

Bwuk

Was he giving a nazi salute?

Maybe they thought he was
They just attacked him. There’s no danger that bloke who hits him thinks he’s doing nazi salutes ffs.

Has there been any reports of Madrid fans having issues?

Dan_F

Its not an brits problem, it’s an everyone problem..

We went through all of this after the Euros. I don’t understand where these people are from who think that English football fans are worse than most other European countries.

I get it that a few thousand fat, bald men singing and throwing chairs is grim. It absolutely is. However, they could be running around storming bars with baseball bats and masks. Some of the stuff last week between Feyenoord and Roma, for example, was mad. It does tend to happen away from the stadium though, so I guess your average online football won’t see it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Here's the situation with Saint Etienne from the beginning, seems surreal that fans can just enter the pitch unobstructed and police barely tries to do more than secure the player tunnel.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think people need to look at what actually happened last night instead of trying to point score.

There are some examples of fans acting poorly but on the whole, the organisation was horrendous.

I find it a bit depressing how much this new wave of hooliganism is creeping back into European football. I thought we were done with the worst of why had come before. Just feels like there’s a whole new generation of idiots thinking anything goes.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Here's the situation with Saint Etienne from the beginning, seems surreal that fans can just enter the pitch unobstructed and police barely tries to do more than secure the player tunnel.
What’s the story here?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What’s the story here?
Seems like the home team just lost on penalties, getting them relegated for the first time in nearly 20 years. It's hard to tell with the Twitter video resolution, but it seems like people are already on the pitch and there seems to be little in terms of containment for what I assume is the ultra block to the left.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Can you imagine the outrage if that had been English fans. I’m not saying English fans are innocent- very far from it but this shows it’s all countries that have a problem. The trouble with English fans is that their reputation from past hooliganism precedes them. So even if fans are well behaved, local police forces, locals etc take their chance to get revenge from events that may have happened years ago. That clip of the Liverpool fan just going through the turnstile and getting tear-gassed for nothing is typical when playing away on the continent. But that being said, English fans arent blameless but countries on the continent don’t forget. And they were really bad in the past and that will follow them for ever.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Can you imagine the outrage if that had been English fans. I’m not saying English fans are innocent- very far from it but this shows it’s all countries that have a problem. The trouble with English fans is that their reputation from past hooliganism precedes them. So even if fans are well behaved, local police forces, locals etc take their chance to get revenge from events that may have happened years ago. That clip of the Liverpool fan just going through the turnstile and getting tear-gassed for nothing is typical when playing away on the continent. But that being said, English fans arent blameless but countries on the continent don’t forget. And they were really bad in the past and that will follow them for ever.
Every country has its problems, but my impression is that things seem worse in England (e.g. fans headbutting players, the stuff that happened at the Euros) and France than elsewhere.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
I've seen Twitter threads of Liverpool fans saying they spent the first half in tears, still in shock at the dangerous crushes coming from a lack of organisation and the horrific treatment by the police. Made me sick reading some of that stuff.

It's really depressing that, in spite of mountains of evidence suggesting that Liverpool fans were no worse than any other large group of fans attending a European cup final, the 'typical scousers' narrative is still going strong. No wonder the working-class is dead in this country, people want to see others brutalised by the police because they wear a different football kit.

TheReligion

Abusive
I've seen Twitter threads of Liverpool fans saying they spent the first half in tears, still in shock at the dangerous crushes coming from a lack of organisation and the horrific treatment by the police. Made me sick reading some of that stuff.

It's really depressing that, in spite of mountains of evidence suggesting that Liverpool fans were no worse than any other large group of fans attending a European cup final, the 'typical scousers' narrative is still going strong. No wonder the working-class is dead in this country, people want to see others brutalised by the police because they wear a different football kit.
There’s videos of part of your fan base rushing gates, climbing fences and getting in without tickets.

You also have a track record for this kind of behaviour away from home (Athens etc).

Yes some decent folk have been caught up in this sadly, UEFA seemingly hadnt prepped well with the French and there’s definite issues with the policing, but it’s a combination of all these factors together which created the issue.

To try and absolve your fans of any blame is ridiculously naive given the evidence.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
There’s videos of part of your fan base rushing gates, climbing fences and getting in without tickets.

You also have a track record for this kind of behaviour away from home (Athens etc).

Yes some decent folk have been caught up in this sadly, UEFA seemingly hadnt prepped well with the French and there’s definite issues with the policing, but it’s a combination of all these factors together which created the issue.

To try and absolve your fans of any blame is ridiculously naive given the evidence.
I'm not saying there were no issues, and no doubt a tiny minority did take the piss trying to jib in. Any event with tens of thousands of fans is going to have those problems. In fact, many of the journalist reports said that the fake tickets and ticketless were less than pre-pandemic levels for a European cup final.

But because a few context-less videos are shared, where it is unclear what has gone on before (if fans are being overcrowded and bottle-necked by poorly organised check-point system typically you want to get away), plenty have taken the bait and accepted fans being made the scapegoat. The problem is how working-class people continue to get treated like scum by fascist policing practices. It's not 'sad' that people and children were traumatised just going the game, it's an outrage. Again, no doubt some Liverpool fans made the situation worse, but every credible source says they weren't the issue. The fact that so many are ignoring that and seeing it as an opportunity to lay it on further is what really depresses me. This isn't a point-scoring moment. I'd think the exact same if it was United fans getting attacked and demonised.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yeah it's a generation thing, new breed of little shite's coming through who think it's some kind of badge of honour by jibbing it into a game.
It looks like a bit organized aswell, with a lot of people bringing their hardware to film the whole process. This is clearly something organized on social networks, probably following some modern trend as you point but with less finesse wording :D

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It’s been done for decades. As for last night, it’s clear that there was issues either with fake tickets or people trying to get in one way or another without one. As a lot of people have pointed out though, you’d expect better check points to weed those people out before getting anywhere near the stadium, but the way it’s being reported in the Uk is that the Liverpool fans are blameless.

They will have to accept that anyone who didn’t get in with a legit ticket was robbed of that experience by their own fan base. There were no empty seats, in fact the gangways were overcrowded, there was hundreds of fans in there who shouldn’t have been.

I was listening to radio 5 earlier and they were moaning about riot police marching out in front of the Liverpool fans before full time. As if it was somehow provoking them. Completely ignoring the fact that we’ve had multiple players attacked in recent weeks at full time. The biased reporting doesn’t help.
We've seen it done for decades for sure, but usually it was small groups. We are talking about a big crowd who seems to be somehow organized and focused to make it.

Agree about the (lack of) organization: Dortmund fans tried to do the same here at Portugal in the game against Sporting but they couldn't even get close to the gates, as the police intercepted them way before they could gang up near the gates. They later caused some chaos in the city, but no serious damage was done.

Riot police marching in front of a large group that include ultras is a regular thing all over Europe: authorities can't relax when Ultras are involved, they are too unpredictable. Unfortunately for Liverpool regular fans it wasn't a comfortable situation to be in, but I've been in that position also if you are unlucky to leave the stadium in the exact timing the ultras are leaving too.

Smores

Seems fairly clear from most of the footage that those told they had fakes weren't dispersing and that's caused the issues.

Classical Mechanic

Every country has its problems, but my impression is that things seem worse in England (e.g. fans headbutting players, the stuff that happened at the Euros) and France than elsewhere.
I don't think this is true. At international level England has poorly behaved fans but at club level hooliganism is rare these days. Admittedly the recent pitch invasions and assaults are a concerning new development and something needs to be done about that.

It's a little surprising coming from a German criticising English fans when Frankfurt fans have been causing trouble throughout their UEFA Europa League campaign. If English fans had behaved like the Frankfurt hooligans there'd be multiple threads on it.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/18738...gans-ahead-of-antwerp-frankfurt-football-game

https://talksport.com/football/1102...cannons-eintracht-frankfurt-hooligans-attack/

https://www.sportbible.com/football...ck-rangers-supporters-ahead-of-final-20220518

For all that talk of how bad the West Ham and Rangers fans are they were throughly outdone by their German counterparts

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
There are some examples of fans acting poorly but on the whole, the organisation was horrendous.

I find it a bit depressing how much this new wave of hooliganism is creeping back into European football. I thought we were done with the worst of why had come before. Just feels like there’s a whole new generation of idiots thinking anything goes.
Yes. Two finals in a couple of weeks where UEFA and the host have made it an absolute shambles. The problem is the more UEFA stick their fingers in the ears regarding the issue, because they're happy to maximise the corporate pound, the more of a counter response we'll see from disenfranchised fans some of whom will turn to violence.

Kag

Seems fairly clear from most of the footage that those told they had fakes weren't dispersing and that's caused the issues.
The biggest issue to me seems to be the deliberate decision to funnel thousands of supporters through a two metre gap between a riot van and a brick wall.