Fans of PL clubs vote for their biggest rivals

Raw

City fans calling Liverpool their biggest rivals is pretty funny. Completely based on the title challenges and CL games they've had against each other.

And wow, Liverpool voting City and Chelsea ahead of Everton?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
City fans calling Liverpool their biggest rivals is pretty funny. Completely based on the title challenges and CL games they've had against each other.

Tbf back in the day, would have had Arsenal and maybe even Chelsea ahead of City.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

It seems they didn't ask specifically for 'all time' vs 'current', so obviously that's what you'll get.

Raw

Tbf back in the day, would have had Arsenal and maybe even Chelsea ahead of City.
I guess it's similar to us and Leeds, since Leeds are so irrelevant to us now that it's hard to give a shit about them. Still though, it stinks of recency bias, it's not like we're Leeds level in comparison to City. We still play each other twice a season at least.

Liverpool voting Everton that low is just strange. Maybe it's simply nonsense like B20 said, or perhaps Liverpool fans are so used to beating Everton that there's not much of a rivalry any more (doubt it :lol:).

Havak

Pokemon master
I saw this a few days/weeks ago. Can't fathom Liverpool fans not voting Everton at least second and City fans not voting United first.

The United one looks most correct, as Liverpool & City are clearly the main two, then you have the rivalry with Leeds but you have to say as time as gone on we've had more of a rivalry with Arsenal & Chelsea.

A lot of this seems like kneejerk after a couple of recent seasons going at each other. Some fans probably just voted 'most hated' rather than whom they consider a true rival as well.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I guess it's similar to us and Leeds, since Leeds are so irrelevant to us now that it's hard to give a shit about them. Still though, it stinks of recency bias, it's not like we're Leeds level in comparison to City. We still play each other twice a season at least.

Liverpool voting Everton that low is just strange. Maybe it's simply nonsense like B20 said, or perhaps Liverpool fans are so used to beating Everton that there's not much of a rivalry any more (doubt it :lol:).
It's all pretty fluent really.

When you're intensly fighting for the same trophy over a period of time it's near impossible for a rivalry not to be formed like with City and Liverpool now and United and Arsenal back in the day, or when you face off what felt like 50 times a year like Chelsea and Liverpool.

The only one that stayed relatively respectful IIRC was United/Chelsea circa 05-11, their seemed to be quite a bit of mutual respect between the squads aswell as Fergie with the respective Chelsea managers, also the 2 sets of fans didn't seem as much at odds with eachother as the examples above, atleast from my experience anyway.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Liverpool fans putting Everton low on their list of rivals could just be down to the fact that most Liverpool fans aren't local to the club.
If you're a Liverpool fan from Norway for example, why would Everton be of interest to you? Everton are fairly insignificant in the premier league, at least they have been for a while.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
https://mobile.twitter.com/FootyLimbs/status/1169562946302816261

Not sure why clubs such as Everton and Villa consider us rivals. Can’t think of a single united fan who even thinks about them apart from when we play them.

Anyway, what other rivalries are you guys surprised to see on that list (not just about united)
Because aside from Liverpool there’s not really a rival for us. The Moyes situation and the fact that everyone hated United during the seasons they were always winning means that it’s not surprising that they’re 2nd on the list. The fact that Liverpool is almost 90% compared to United at 30% shows that aside from Liverpool it’s just a toss up between the bigger sides for us.

Sara125

Liverpool fans putting Everton low on their list of rivals could just be down to the fact that most Liverpool fans aren't local to the club.
If you're a Liverpool fan from Norway for example, why would Everton be of interest to you? Everton are fairly insignificant in the premier league, at least they have been for a while.
Yes this is true

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
West Ham voted Spurs biggest rival 82% of the votes? We are Everton's second biggest rival? Some are totally understandable, Man City and Liverpool voting us as rivals. But Everton?

Surprised the NLD vote wasnt a larger portion of the fanbase, would have said in the 90% for Arsenal's biggest rival being Spurs and vice versa if I was going to take a guess.

fergiesarmy1

I still do, spent most of last season praying they won every league game as in comparison to Liverpool city aren’t even on the same page for me.

Sara125

Because aside from Liverpool there’s not really a rival for us. The Moyes situation and the fact that everyone hated United during the seasons they were always winning means that it’s not surprising that they’re 2nd on the list. The fact that Liverpool is almost 90% compared to United at 30% shows that aside from Liverpool it’s just a toss up between the bigger sides for us.
Yes but second is still a stretch considering we have something in common with you guys in our rivalries with Liverpool

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yes but second is still a stretch considering we have something in common with you guys in our rivalries with Liverpool
Okay. Let me ask you then, who would you say was our second biggest rival aside from Liverpool?

Sara125

Okay. Let me ask you then, who would you say was our second biggest rival aside from Liverpool?
I can’t pinpoint any particular club but if like you said, your fans have voted based on united’s era of success couldn’t you also say, then, that city could be a second rival too, especially since their bout of success is more recent. Anyway, I don’t know many Everton fans. Would you say that your fellow Everton supporting friends see united as a second rival?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It seems they didn't ask specifically for 'all time' vs 'current', so obviously that's what you'll get.
Exactly. City's biggest rivals right now are Liverpool. From a fans perspective now I'd much rather Liverpool lost and United won than vice versa. Of course I find it much easier to stomach the thought of Liverpool winning things rather than United though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I can’t pinpoint any particular club but if like you said, your fans have voted based on united’s era of success couldn’t you also say, then, that city could be a second rival too, especially since their bout of success is more recent. Anyway, I don’t know many Everton fans. Would you say that your fellow Everton supporting friends see united as a second rival?
No. But that’s the point I’m making. Outside of Liverpool I wouldn’t say we have one in the league.

This table doesn’t allow for only one rival though and others were required for whoever to make the table to make it. So it was basically a “let’s just choose other rivals based on some stuff”.

At a stretch id then say rivalries goes down to United and Watford. Watford due to the Silva/Richarlison stuff and then United for the reasons I explained aka the Moyes situation/everyone hated United under SAF/the amount of players that have gone from United to Everton and vice versa.

Everyone that’s laughing at Everton fans thinking we see you as our second rivals needs to realise that Liverpool are the only people we see as serious rivals. The others are only there because this wasn’t a single choice table.

Classical Mechanic

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not sure why anyone would have Chelsea ahead of Leeds as one of our rivals.

I wouldn't class Chelsea or Arsenal as rivals in any way really.

OL29

Not sure why anyone would have Chelsea ahead of Leeds as one of our rivals.

I wouldn't class Chelsea or Arsenal as rivals in any way really.
Arsenal are definitely rivals, even before the Wenger Fergie rivalry there was tensions from a brawl between the team at old Trafford.

I can’t speak for the older fans but I grew up hating Arsenal almost as much as Liverpool.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Arsenal are definitely rivals, even before the Wenger Fergie rivalry there was tensions from a brawl between the team at old Trafford.

I can’t speak for the older fans but I grew up hating Arsenal almost as much as Liverpool.
Yeah there's been a few scraps, but they're not a historic rival.

Havak

Pokemon master
Yeah there's been a few scraps, but they're not a historic rival.
It depends how far back you have to go to class a team as a bigger rival. Also, I believe large amounts of time being a rival isn't necessarily the only factor as evidenced by a lot of people's thinking in the voting.

Competing with Chelsea and Arsenal for the Premier League Title, and these rivalries being over a good 10-20 years makes me put them in that top five. In my time watching United (I'm 30 now, so realistically mid-90's is when I class myself as actually having any kind of understanding of what was going on and who we were most competitive with), I'd definitely be saying I've witnessed more rivalry with Arsenal and Chelsea than Leeds.

Who else would you have above those two sides after Liverpool, Man City, and Leeds?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Has to be non local fans. It was always Everton as the rival. united came later when they came good.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
What's with Brighton vs Crystal Palace? They're not even geographically close.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Probably why every team still seems to put in that extra effort against us despite us being shit now.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
It depends how far back you have to go to class a team as a bigger rival. Also, I believe large amounts of time being a rival isn't necessarily the only factor as evidenced by a lot of people's thinking in the voting.

Competing with Chelsea and Arsenal for the Premier League Title, and these rivalries being over a good 10-20 years makes me put them in that top five. In my time watching United (I'm 30 now, so realistically mid-90's is when I class myself as actually having any kind of understanding of what was going on and who we were most competitive with), I'd definitely be saying I've witnessed more rivalry with Arsenal and Chelsea than Leeds.

Who else would you have above those two sides after Liverpool, Man City, and Leeds?
No one really.

I mean the only reason I want Chelsea and Arsenal to lose games is because of how it directly effects us in the league... where as with City/Liverpool/Leeds there is a greater enjoyment to them losing (if that makes sense).

Havak

Pokemon master
No one really.

I mean the only reason I want Chelsea and Arsenal to lose games is because of how it directly effects us in the league... where as with City/Liverpool/Leeds there is a greater enjoyment to them losing (if that makes sense).
That makes them rivals to us in my book, but obviously opinions differ.

If a team is a threat of finishing above us in the League or winning a domestic trophy we aim to win, they're rivals in that regard.

RedNed77

Crystal Palace is the one that sticks out for me. Newcastle I can sort of understand as there’s a lack of clubs in the North-East. But that certainly doesn’t apply to any club from London.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea

Everton just haven't been competing for trophies against Liverpool. Chelsea and Liverpool had those CL & other big games and Rafa having a dig at Chelsea fans.