Fans planning Old Trafford walkout

Alabaster Codify7

Not their biggest fans.

How's about this?
Me and you will attend the Wolves game as a duo, but instead of leaving the ground, on the 58th minute we'll don Woodward cutout masks and start twerking stood at our seats, for the remaining 32mins. Deal?

PS - How are your hips? I may struggle to hit 70mins.

Godfather

And there we have it. The 58th minute thing totally distracts from a very necessary protest. What stupid idiot decided this was a good idea.

HJ12

The ‘58th minute’ idea is septic.

If you want to draw parallels with previous demise in the club’s history, maybe use the 74th minute in reference to our last relegation (1974). At least that analogy makes some semblance of sense and indicates where these parasitic Glazers are taking us.
Ah, that's a good shout. Also, only 15 mins till the end so at least the players will get decent support for most of the game, but the point will still be made - rather that than leaving stadium to be a mortuary with more than half an hour to go.
I am worried what something like this would do to our players mentally though, especially the young players.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I fully support them but there is absolutely no grace in using the 58th minute for this.
Yeah, I'd maybe go for the 77th minute .... in memory of stopping Liverpool winning a treble.

But if they do it and whatever minute, I hope they have a few minutes of very very loud chanting just before. Try and show it's not about not supporting the team but the board/owners.

fergiesarmy1

And there we have it. The 58th minute thing totally distracts from a very necessary protest. What stupid idiot decided this was a good idea.
Can you not see the media benefit of it? Cameras will pan to Sir Bobby and inevitably the equaliser. Tough times call for drastic measures, though I do get why it could be called distasteful.

Alabaster Codify7

Ah, that's a good shout. Also, only 15 mins till the end so at least the players will get decent support for most of the game, but the point will still be made - rather that than leaving stadium to be a mortuary with more than half an hour to go.
I am worried what something like this would do to our players mentally though, especially the young players.

I worry about what our youngsters are going through having to play under this coaching team to be honest, churning out midtable results and disappointing the fans. I reckon they're made of sterner stuff, the ones that are becoming mainstays - I'm sure they realise that the fans want better for THEM as well as us.

King Eric 7

Mixed feelings about a possible walkout. Not so mixed feelings about choosing the 58th minute though - very unnecessary.

At any rate, a large number of fans won't do it for various reasons and so the impact is going to be quite minimal I would imagine.

fergiesarmy1

I believe every single thing about this. I guarantee that's what he says behind closed doors, they will be content if we flounder for 30yrs as long as they keep getting their pound of flesh.
So do what needs to be done, don’t think I got 22 years left so rage rage against the machine :lol:

soapythecat

I’ve been following this on Twitter and it originally came from the Mirror. If this is true, then does this not smell of a PR stunt from the club to make the fans fight amongst ourselves more?
What fan in their right mind would disrespect the memories of Munich by suggesting the 58th minute?
This is a clever mood to make sure there is no protest. Very few fans will walk so early and at that minute.

Alabaster Codify7

So do what needs to be done, don’t think I got 22 years left so rage rage against the machine :lol:
We dont agree on much, but on this we do.

I’ve been following this on Twitter and it originally came from the Mirror. If this is true, then does this not smell of a PR stunt from the club to make the fans fight amongst ourselves more?
What fan in their right mind would disrespect the memories of Munich by suggesting the 58th minute?
This is a clever mood to make sure there is no protest. Very few fans will walk so early and at that minute.

Jesus. Now this is a rabbit-hole I didn't want to go down...…….but I might be tempted to think this way. Jesus.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And so you’re problem with a fan walkout is what exactly? Let’s take the Munich thing out of it for a minute.
Don’t do yourself a disservice by making such a simplistic connection.

It is quite a leap between being ‘happy with the Glazers’ and not thinking walking out on your players halfway through a tough, not to mention important football match is a good idea.

Morpheus 7

It's a positive step, it's disappointing to read some of these comments. For every cynical wanker in here that moans about the Glazers but does nothing, this is a step for the long term. Yeah the boys needs support for the 90 minutes but fans need to protest how the club is being run. Enough is enough, they can't keep stealing from the fans and giving nothing back. Boycott merchandise, apps, sky subscriptions and buying stuff in the ground. You want change but are too defeatist to try. It likely won't work but momentum, attention, scrutiny and opposition to this fraudulent ownership will eventually. They don't give a fck about the fans or the long term future of the club. The only way to hurt them is drain there share prices and intake from revenue to they sell up.

You want the Glazers out then don't be knocking the right of the fans to protest. People complaining about the songs about Ed and the Glazers, tough. This needs to get aggressive, all the attention should be on them. They are slowly bleeding the club. Need to make a stand sooner or later.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Don’t do yourself a disservice by making such a simplistic connection.

It is quite a leap between being ‘happy with the Glazers’ and not thinking walking out on your players halfway through a tough, not to mention important football match is a good idea.
It’s very obvious to the players why it’s being done. This is the only way to put pressure on the ownership aside from a drop in season tickets or merch, which is NEVER going to happen.

clarkydaz

I agree, its come from nowhere and its the media toying with an irate fanbase. The 58 thing the perfect grenade

fergiesarmy1

We dont agree on much, but on this we do.

Jesus. Now this is a rabbit-hole I didn't want to go down...…….but I might be tempted to think this way. Jesus.
Haha I only have 2 strong opinions on this forum and I’ve stuck with them which should get me a little credit at least.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Should be the 74th minute, for the last time we got relegated. Late enough to actually support the team, early enough to be a movement, referencing a year where it was really bad.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
There’s been discussions on Twitter about protests etc all day, unsure about the 58th minute part though.

I walked out in the 56th minute on Wednesday.

HJ12

Check this out.
He's an idiot if he believes this though as the landscape's changed compared to the last 30 years. More clubs now have access to a lot more money, and have more say over keeping their top players. If anything, traditional big clubs can become irrelevant far quicker than before.

Whiteside '85

I'm not old enough to remember Munich so concede that it will seem disrespectful. Someone here mentioned it is not intended to reference Munich, that before last weekends abject performance it had been 58 years since Burnley beat us at home.

Even the most seasoned fans must concede that our board haven't done enough.
I'm not daft, no one is entitled to win all of the time and as my name suggests I got into this beautiful club just at the moment my countryman Norman did that thing, exact moment to be honest. Not sure it makes me fair weather cos we had another 4 years of not quite good enough after that.

The midfield has been sorely neglected for too long.
Protest needs to be noticeable and the symbolic gesture of 58 minutes will draw attention.
Something needs to happen. The Glazers have got away with it for too long.

Amerifan

It’s very obvious to the players why it’s being done. This is the only way to put pressure on the ownership aside from a drop in season tickets or merch, which is NEVER going to happen.
That’s the problem, isn’t it? Leaving after buying a ticket, having a few beers, and a pie and chips doesn’t hurt anything. Not showing up does. Even if you already bought your ticket, not showing up impacts the bottom line and makes a statement.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For now, this will continue to spiral, we are not finishing above 8th and that is dreadful mate for a club the size of ours that has spent as much as we have. It isn't about winning trophies mate, it's about everything that is going on that is preventing us from competing.
We've certainly learnt the hard way that thinking we could rely on a decent first 11 with massive drop offs in quality after that, for a 60 game season was utterly insane.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
How obvious it is is irrelevant. It’s not going to help them on the pitch. Despite fans fury, we still have plenty to play for this season, and the game against Wolves, a team level on points with us, will be tough as it is. Making the game harder for them to win is fecking self sabotage and ridiculous.

I don’t support this entitlement in general tbh. Half of these fans would probably have been on suicide watch if they were around in the 70s and 80s from what I read. Was ‘our turn’ just supposed to continue, uninterrupted, forever? In this league where everyone is rolling in it and trying to win?

clarkydaz

That’s the problem, isn’t it? Leaving after buying a ticket, having a few beers, and a pie and chips doesn’t hurt anything. Not showing up does. Even if you already bought your ticket, not showing up impacts the bottom line and makes a statement.
there were about 10k empty seats at the Burnley game, attendance is still announced 73, 000. A walk out is immediately noticeable and a talking point

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Honestly I don't give a feck if it's the 58th minute, earlier or later. It just needs to be big, and not too late in the game.

Just fecking do it over and over again.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
We should do it to celebrate the treble and walk out in the 99th minute

Alabaster Codify7

We've certainly learnt the hard way that thinking we could rely on a decent first 11 with massive drop offs in quality after that, for a 60 game season was utterly insane.

I know mate. It was insanity to think we could cope with this squad man. Absolute insanity.

always_hoping

I wouldn't believe a single story that is written in those red label rags of tabloids. Also the chanting that was done on Wednesday was overhyped by the media and as one in attendance I was surprised by how little there was.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We should do it to celebrate the treble and walk out in the 99th minute
:lol:
Was gonna say - it'd be more of a shock if seas of drones actually stopped leaving early, and there was still a full house at full time!

"Oooh gotta get home, I live 5miles away"