Fantasy Football 2016/2017

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Its a tricky one.At the start of the season everyone is mad keen but as there team starts to go nowhere around 30% have given up by the end of January.
The Scottish type cut off is a good idea and I've thought of splitting the league into two at the end of the season with the top half in League 1 and the bottom half in League 2.
The following season have promotion and relegation.......the bottom 10 get relegated from League 1 and the top 10 get promoted from League 2 (assuming,say,you have 30 plus players in each league).
The drawback,as I see it,could be the winner of League 2 gets more points than the winner of League 1 but promotion/avoiding relegation might spice it up for those just ambling along.
Good thoughts.
In our work league a lot depends on numbers. I've been really creative this last year or 2, keeping in touch with leavers, and getting people from different sites involved!
However, we went down from 50s to about 35 last year.
I fear without a new swathe of people we might be about 25

25 gets a bit difficult to be too flexi with extras, whereas up to 50 gives tonnes of dough to play with.
Biggest league I'm in has a £20 entry and about 70 people in it! Unfortunately the guy who runs it pays about £500 top prize, and only about £30 for 4th! £30 or so for each manager of the month, which seems a poorly distributed league

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Pogba is pretty cheap now at 8m. Could be well worth putting in. I think he'll rake the points in if we get another first choice attacker.

Really hard to fit in mostly top players this time round, by the looks of it. I'm 8m in the red with my first draft.

Last edited:

SteveTheRed

As this year's version is out imminently, I thought i'd pick some of your brains about possible ideas for the league I run at work.

I've tried to move away from the standard top few get all the money, as some of the lower ranked were getting cheesed off. We used to have monthly prizes/winners too, but those tended to go to the ones who'd win overall.

Last couple of years I've made "cups", with random draws, and almost champions league draws to spice it up. Worked decently, as complete randoms won, and it gave them a reason to keep interested after the league positions were going to be impossible to win from.

However, new season, new ideas. What other way can I spice the league up?
Some sort of Scotland esque set up where the league cuts in 2 at a certain date is one idea.
My work league run a league where you pay £5 to everyone above you and collect £5 from everyone below you. This would probably not work with the number of people you have if the numbers are 25+ as the player 25th in the league £120!

However if you have a dedicated bunch, it makes people stay committed to the league because every place they move up saves them £5 and everyone is fighting for that top half to make some money or breakeven. It is definitely the best and tightest league I've done

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My work league run a league where you pay £5 to everyone above you and collect £5 from everyone below you. This would probably not work with the number of people you have if the numbers are 25+ as the player 25th in the league £120!

However if you have a dedicated bunch, it makes people stay committed to the league because every place they move up saves them £5 and everyone is fighting for that top half to make some money or breakeven. It is definitely the best and tightest league I've done
A guy who often wins our work league is involved in one of those. Definitely for hard core players though. And it'd be pretty hard to collect the money at the end of a season as half the league might have left!

We learnt our lesson with a league a northern colleague ran. He set it up, we paid our money, and when myself and a southern office pal went to collect our winning, the dolt told us he'd never collected all the money in, so the league was void.

hadn't told anyone all season! Still annoyed now actually!

devil in me

Pogba is pretty cheap now at 8m. Could be well worth putting in. I think he'll rake the points in if we get another first choice attacker.

Really hard to fit in mostly top players this time round, by the looks of it. I'm 8m in the red with my first draft.
Aye im thinking the same with Pogba, best value cm on there I reckon.

SteveTheRed

A guy who often wins our work league is involved in one of those. Definitely for hard core players though. And it'd be pretty hard to collect the money at the end of a season as half the league might have left!

We learnt our lesson with a league a northern colleague ran. He set it up, we paid our money, and when myself and a southern office pal went to collect our winning, the dolt told us he'd never collected all the money in, so the league was void.

hadn't told anyone all season! Still annoyed now actually!
Ah I wouldn't advise it then if you've had problems in the past, we have a solid group of 10-12 people all on the same floor in the office so there is no hiding if you have to pay! Some still try :lol: