Fantasy Premier League 21/22

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I've gone with Greenwood instead of Sancho for now. With Rashford injured and Martial out of favour they should probably have very similar roles at the beginning. My team now:

Sanchez
TAA Shaw Digne Tierney Ayling
Salah Jota Greenwood Buendia Raphinha
Watkins Toney Antonio

With 1.5m in the bank. Very tempted to go after Cavani but he will be yet another rotation risk after Jota and Greenwood... Could upgrade goalkeeper or Ayling but the team is deep enough already so I may as well keep 1.5m for flexibility (and go for Grealish if he stays). Mahrez is another one I quite like, ditto Cancelo and Stones...
I wonder if Ole goes Martial Cavani Sancho. For some reason, he has more faith in Martial than I do.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You might want to think of an exit strategy for your Villa assets after week 3.
Deep team so I can phase them out week by week...I have moved Buendia to Grealish for now as I reckon he's going to be more fixture proof.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I wonder if Ole goes Martial Cavani Sancho. For some reason, he has more faith in Martial than I do.
I think Greenwood should be a sure starter for now... but tempted to go after Cavani for Toney, and downgrade Greenwood to Mbuemo.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whatever about the long-run, it would be odd for Solskjaer not to at least start with Greenwood given he's one of the few (only?) first team-ish players to have a full pre-season.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah you'd think Greenwood is bang on to start the season. Whether we get off to a good start or not is the bigger question. I'm sceptical.

mohr

It's not that simple. Sure, if you set up your team and just set and forget a defender vs a mid priced striker, you can get more points. I'm sure over the season, A Digne can outscore a Toney.

But when you're actually playing the game properly, that's not how it works.

Let's say you set and forget Robertson and he gets 170 (the average between the last two seasons), that would be more than the set and forget of Watkins, who got 168 last season.

But in reality, you won't hold Watkins through the season. If you plan properly (and with a bit of luck of course), you can own Watkins for a nice run and then switch to lets say Iheanacho for a nice run that might start as Watkins' favourable fixtures end.

Now of course, you can try this with defenders too but it's much more difficult to predict their returns, mainly because their bread and butter is clean sheets so you need to hold them for much longer to get that high score.

Not sure if I have written this properly or if it make sense, sorry, on the phone!
I think what they’re getting at [or how I’m taking it anyway] is that there is good value in defenders and while 352 has been de riguer in the past, don’t have to have shit for your 4th and 5th defenders. Especially when an extra £m on said 4th/5th defender will (should) give you a bigger points boost that spending that same £m on a 5th midfielder or a 3rd forward.

£4m to £5m in terms of defenders is big, £4.5m to £5.5m is huge (potentially 50, 60 more?). But maybe doesn’t have same impact on 5th MF or 3rd forward.

And he/she could start off 442 and change team/formation when impact of some Mf/forwards are clearer?
Thanks for the good insight guys.
I guess because I think there are not many good striker this season that I prefer to choose an extra defender.
And I remember my defenders help me get consecutive green arrows last season because I got Stones, Holding, Rudiger at the right time when all their teams get many CS.

Maybe to summarize my thought into a simple question is which one of this option that you prefer when you will start 1 and bench 1 :

Option 1 - 7.5m FWD (Watkins/Antonio/Iheanacho etc.) + 4.5 DEF (White/Veltman/Ayling etc.)

Option 2 - 5.5 FWD ( one of the Burnley / Watford FWD / etc.) + 5.5 DEF (Digne/AWB/James etc.) + extra 1m to upgrade your other player

That's why I love this thread. We all talk deep tactics and thought out plans. Then we all smash that wildcard button week 2 because we want Moutinho, Pepe and Pulisic because they scored GW1 :lol:
Yep, see all of this discussion thrown up to the air when the season start :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I've gone with Greenwood instead of Sancho for now. With Rashford injured and Martial out of favour they should probably have very similar roles at the beginning. My team now:

Sanchez
TAA Shaw Digne Tierney Ayling
Salah Jota Greenwood Buendia Raphinha
Watkins Toney Antonio

With 1.5m in the bank. Very tempted to go after Cavani but he will be yet another rotation risk after Jota and Greenwood... Could upgrade goalkeeper or Ayling but the team is deep enough already so I may as well keep 1.5m for flexibility (and go for Grealish if he stays). Mahrez is another one I quite like, ditto Cancelo and Stones...
That's a nice balanced team, the obvious exclusion of Bruno is slightly worrying...
4-4-2? 3-5-2? Please advise.

From those two teams, it has to be the 4-4-2.

With Raphinha on the bench coming in for Soucek (you already have West Ham attack covered with Antonio).

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I guess because I think there are not many good striker this season that I prefer to choose an extra defender.
And I remember my defenders help me get consecutive green arrows last season because I got Stones, Holding, Rudiger at the right time when all their teams get many CS.

Maybe to summarize my thought into a simple question is which one of this option that you prefer when you will start 1 and bench 1 :

Option 1 - 7.5m FWD (Watkins/Antonio/Iheanacho etc.) + 4.5 DEF (White/Veltman/Ayling etc.)

Option 2 - 5.5 FWD ( one of the Burnley / Watford FWD / etc.) + 5.5 DEF (Digne/AWB/James etc.) + extra 1m to upgrade your other player

Yep, see all of this discussion thrown up to the air when the season start :lol:
I would personally go option 1. There are plenty 4.5 defenders that will play (and can do well). White, Ayling, Fofana, Coady etc. With 7.5, you have a nice pick of forwards too (as long as you transfer between them according to fixtures).

Option 2 is not bad either but I don't see any striker under 6.5 that is even worth having. If you can somehow navigate to Toney, then that's better off.

Spare cash is useful but points on the board more so. In THIS example, I think the forward differential is wider than the defender differential.

That's not to say another example may make 4 defenders better than 3. It's all about individual teams/tactics.

@Dirty Schwein will keep you right. Be wary of some poster called something like... SandyTan, SandyMan... :nono:

mohr

Spare cash is useful but points on the board more so. In THIS example, I think the forward differential is wider than the defender differential.

That's not to say another example may make 4 defenders better than 3. It's all about individual teams/tactics.
Well, you also don't have to keep the extra cash as spare and can use it directly.
In my case extra 1M can help upgrade :
1. 4.5 m GK to someone better
2. My other 7.5m FWD to Bamford or DCL
3. Buendia/Raphinha to Jota/Mount/Greenwood

@Dirty Schwein will keep you right. Be wary of some poster called something like... SandyTan, SandyMan... :nono:
:lol:
Btw, yes who is the resident champions here from last year?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If Grealish ends up at City, is he still a Fantasy Football assest?
Wait and see I suppose. At that price you'd expect him to play a lot, but I'm wary of players being eased in at City.

Also even if he does play a lot, he could play deep enough that someone else is still a better option.

Withnail

This is what I have so far.

Martinez

TAA White Stones Digne

Buendia Bruno Salah Greenwood

DCL Toney

Bench: Meslier Ayling Gilmour Obafemi

What do you guys think?

Two United players has me slightly worried in case we start badly so pondering whether to change Greenwood for Rapinha/Dallas and I might go for Shaw for GW2 if we start well.

Pickle85

I hear that if you say his name three times in a darkened room while looking into a mirror he appears behind you and uses your wildcard to change your team to all Burnley, Norwich, Watford, Newcastle and Brighton players.

ROFLUTION

I've given up :nervous:

I have done like 30 different teams and now I'm into wildly insane scenarios like saving up 2.5m to easier being able to jump on Kane if he goes to City :lol:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I've given up :nervous:

I have done like 30 different teams and now I'm into wildly insane scenarios like saving up 2.5m to easier being able to jump on Kane if he goes to City :lol:
That’s why you have the wildcard. Don’t save up £2.5m. You can always transfer him in when City’s schedule clears up after week 6.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
@Dirty Schwein @BeforeKeanetherewasRobson just out curiosity how did you guys do last year in terms of ranking?
I finished last year in the top 20k but there was a massive period in December and January where I couldn't play properly due to having a new baby and some other stuff going on. I reckon of I had been focused more in that period, I would have over-thought things and ended up lower :lol:

Well, you also don't have to keep the extra cash as spare and can use it directly.
In my case extra 1M can help upgrade :
1. 4.5 m GK to someone better
2. My other 7.5m FWD to Bamford or DCL
3. Buendia/Raphinha to Jota/Mount/Greenwood

:lol:
Btw, yes who is the resident champions here from last year?
Ask yourself, are those upgrades worth it? Antonio for example can do just as well as DCL or probably even better (if he doesn't get injured). Raphinha will get far more minutes than Jota etc.

As for your second question, we had these guys turn up after the season claiming their top 1k finishes... They didn't once come in here and actually help us FPL managers who were stressing our butts off :lol:

ROFLUTION

That’s why you have the wildcard. Don’t save up £2.5m. You can always transfer him in when City’s schedule clears up after week 6.
I'd possibly like to wildcard later on than gw6 when United have great fixtures. There's a point where Chelsea's fixtures become crap and United's become great. Can't remember what exact gw but around 12-15. It's probably a Bruno/+ 2 sure starters move at that point.

Not a big fan of waiting to jump on City players neither. They usually do their business all season long, so having 1-2 performers from the beginning could be differential too.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I finished last year in the top 20k but there was a massive period in December and January where I couldn't play properly due to having a new baby and some other stuff going on. I reckon of I had been focused more in that period, I would have over-thought things and ended up lower :lol:

Ask yourself, are those upgrades worth it? Antonio for example can do just as well as DCL or probably even better (if he doesn't get injured). Raphinha will get far more minutes than Jota etc.

As for your second question, we had these guys turn up after the season claiming their top 1k finishes... They didn't once come in here and actually help us FPL managers who were stressing our butts off :lol:
DAYUMMM. Top 20k? That’s awesome. What is your team again?:lol:

@Dirty Schwein @BeforeKeanetherewasRobson just out curiosity how did you guys do last year in terms of ranking?
About 4,000,000th at Christmas (no planning (previously just done pick and leave FF comps) and didn’t realise importance of when to use chips), then learned a lot from this thread, did some planning and ended up about 70,000. Peak was about 56,000

I hear that if you say his name three times in a darkened room while looking into a mirror he appears behind you and uses your wildcard to change your team to all Burnley, Norwich, Watford, Newcastle and Brighton players.
:nervous:

That would probably work for my other FF team. I have done a draft where object is lowest score possible BUT you have to spend the full £100m

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Lack of games for some player gives me headache. Shaw, Sancho, Cavani just started to train and first game is in 10 days. Ffs..

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Week 7 is wildcard. Our crazy schedule starts and Chelsea's and City's stop

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think I am going to plan a team for the first 6 weeks too, based on pre-season and those who aren’t ready.

Sanchez

TAA, Shaw, Robertson
Salah, Mahrez, Havertz, Greenwood, Buendia
Watkins, Toney

Steele, Ayling, White, Perica

I hate having a non-player on the bench but it’s the only way to get in the players I want. Two 4.5 instead of a 5 mil defender gives me two decent covers for those who won’t start.

Have tried to go for players who have had good preseasons and are ready to go with first games in mind.

Not that happy with attack, but no 7.5 really convinces me completely and feel like Toney will definitely start, so might have gone for him anyway!

Easy to change to Sancho/Grealish from Mahrez/Havertz, if they start well and will probably bring in Raphinia for Buendia and another 7.5 for Watkins before first three games are out.

No Bruno is a worry but I love the midfield combo with Robertson that I can play without him.

There will always be weaknesses and questions somewhere!

Which team do you support? Maybe we can go to bongdalu to watch their game?
Is this a dating app now?
Or share a screenshot of it
Week 7 is wildcard. Our crazy schedule starts and Chelsea's and City's stop
There are always swings in FDR but usually you build a team that has some balance, allows you to sub certain GWs, etc?

This season (and with the big swing for some top teams), there’s a shout to say you spend as much money as you can on your first eleven for a six week period and have the cheapest possible subs (as long as 1 or 2 will play/get two points).

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think I am going to plan a team for the first 6 weeks too, based on pre-season and those who aren’t ready.

Sanchez

TAA, Shaw, Robertson
Salah, Mahrez, Havertz, Greenwood, Buendia
Watkins, Toney

Steele, Ayling, White, Perica

I hate having a non-player on the bench but it’s the only way to get in the players I want. Two 4.5 instead of a 5 mil defender gives me two decent covers for those who won’t start.

Have tried to go for players who have had good preseasons and are ready to go with first games in mind.

Not that happy with attack, but no 7.5 really convinces me completely and feel like Toney will definitely start, so might have gone for him anyway!

Easy to change to Sancho/Grealish from Mahrez/Havertz, if they start well and will probably bring in Raphinia for Buendia and another 7.5 for Watkins before first three games are out.

No Bruno is a worry but I love the midfield combo with Robertson that I can play without him.

There will always be weaknesses and questions somewhere!
Sexy midfield. Very much like mine. Mahrez scored again tonight.

Might rethink Havertz if they get Lukaku.