Fantasy Premier League 23/24

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A Nunez goal in my team! And I only had to wait about 6 game weeks!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Ugh, I thought Leno would get me more than Dubravka this week...

saivet

WC now active. My current draft is set up (£6.1m ITB):

Martinez, Pickford
Saliba, TAA, Porro, Emerson, Doughty
Bowen, Palmer, Son, Richarlison, Saka
Watkins, Solanke, Archer

If Haaland is fit I'll bring him in for Solanke.

I think I'll only keep Son from the Asia Cup and AFCON players.

Any suggestions or thoughts on a potential WC team now?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Trent with max bonus despite getting booked.

We're all crap at picking captains.
Seems odd. Darwin was on 3, Trent was on 2, and then they scored a 2nd. I expected both of the above to move down a place. Yet Trent moved up.

Very bizarre, but 8 each for the pair of them can't be bad.
Just can't get it right with Salah this last month or so.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Have certainly ended up with triple Newcastle defence at the worst time. They're looking woeful, with Liverpool away next.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Blank for captain Salah and I went against my own recommended Tsimikas replacement in Gomez who gets the clean sheet.

Just condemned Zinchenko to concede on Thursday now. Sorry if anyone has Arsenal defenders.

Rightnr

Need Sonaldo to deliver the max differential for me, with Salah blanking and Haaland hopefully not playing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Getting pumped by Villa and no Watkins or Luiz points really is the worst case scenario.

Zen

Any chance of Hwang, Son or Saka getting ill tonight? Garnacho as my first sub :lol:

Leonzo1

Thank feck Palmer got suspended, otherwise I would have benched Garnacho. 15 points from him is a massive massive differential.

Swiss_Red89

Thinking of transfering out Gordon for Garnacho. Newcastle look in a bad moment of form and have three very difficult games coming up while our Fixtures turn better. Also another high line with Spurs coming to OT soon which could lead to another haul of our attackers.

Am I crazy or should i do it? Really dislike not having a United player in my Team currently..

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
Thank feck Palmer got suspended, otherwise I would have benched Garnacho. 15 points from him is a massive massive differential.
Palmer being suspended means I got 17 points from Wood.
First bit of good luck I’ve had all year from a huge differential.
My current gameweek rank is 35,661.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Stinking gw for me. 3 Afcon players in the squad and 2 Newcastle turds that need flushing.

If Haaland is back think I'll do Archer and Trippier to Haaland and Mykolenko for -4 then maybe Salah and Kabore out the week after for Trent and Bowen. Deal with Son in 22. Gordon can be benched away from home.

Rightnr

That's a relief. My rival had him last on his bench but he was set to feature with Mitoma being out for 4-6 weeks.

And thinking about it, does this make Mitoma a good Asian cup asset that will be back early, as surely he won't go to the tournament.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Haaland's spell out has been a disaster for me.

Intention was to roll with Archer for 2 weeks, thinking Haaland would be back this week. I then abandoned that plan after 1 week and played a 4-5-1, benching Archer as he scored 8 points and the most any of my defenders scored was 2.

Now Haaland looks like missing a 3rd week. Meanwhile Solanke that loads went for as a Haaland replacement is smashing them in.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Could it be something to do with the fact that they took part in completely different games?
You know what he means though? I noticed it after the Liverpool game and have commented on BPS points before. Its the apparent lack of correlation between meaningful impact and the actual BPS awarded.

All of the big points (that contribute towards a total that then decides the 1-2-3 BPS) are for clean sheets, goals, assists, penalty saves, whereas the most common minus score is for a yellow card.

Two players scored… he gets more than them. Two players assisted.. he gets more than them. So it’s clean sheets then?

There are five ‘defenders’ who got a clean sheet… he’s the only one booked, so there’s got to be something else for him? But he didnt score, he didn’t assist and from the highlights I saw, he wasn’t some modern day Beckenbauer bringing the ball out.

It seems like every time he wanders 20 yards upfield and makes a pass, he gets some special points.

At least with Garnacho, you can make a case for Dendonker getting three BPS

@BootsyCollins https://www.premierleague.com/news/106533

Chipper

Adulterer.
How in the hell does Garnacho, with two goals and no yellows, only gets two BPs?
And TAA with a CS and a yellow gets three?
Well if you want to through it all - https://www.premierleague.com/news/106533

I do think the bonus system is a load of bollocks though.

First, that there are the same amount of bonus points guaranteed in every match. World class performance can get you 3 at most, someone is also getting 3 in crap match where nobody is particularly good.

I'm not sure the statistics used are necessarily the best way to discern who rightfully has them either. 90% of Caf users have voted for Garnacho as their motm and there's no doubt he was for me. Having said that, it's not necessarily a game about which individuals played the best. I'm sure one could study the intricacies of the bonus system and come up with players who are more or less likely to hit bonuses even when they don't put in performances that looked great. I suppose it's up to players of the game to exploit that if they can. All the rules of how the bonus point system works are out there for everyone to see.

Edit: The main scoring system isn't about picking the best football players either. It's about picking the players who will score the most points based on the system. It doesn't do a bad job of highlighting which individual footballers are doing well at times, but it's often a good distance away from that too. One obvious way it goes against real football is that world class defensive midfielders just aren't going to do well.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
De Bruyne creates a new decision? Another big money player which should lead to a bit more variance… if you have Son, Salad, Robot and Ginger, rest of team will suffer somewhere?
I will wait a while before getting him in. He's been out for ages and had been rotated previously as well. Not on pens now either and Erling usually hogs the bonus as well. A lot of his ceiling got killed once Erling joined.

Ludens the Red

You know what he means though? I noticed it after the Liverpool game and have commented on BPS points before. Its the apparent lack of correlation between meaningful impact and the actual BPS awarded.

All of the big points (that contribute towards a total that then decides the 1-2-3 BPS) are for clean sheets, goals, assists, penalty saves, whereas the most common minus score is for a yellow card.

Two players scored… he gets more than them. Two players assisted.. he gets more than them. So it’s clean sheets then?

There are five ‘defenders’ who got a clean sheet… he’s the only one booked, so there’s got to be something else for him? But he didnt score, he didn’t assist and from the highlights I saw, he wasn’t some modern day Beckenbauer bringing the ball out.

It seems like every time he wanders 20 yards upfield and makes a pass, he gets some special points.

It’s a joke. They just love Trent so always give him bonus. This crap about it being decided through some special criteria is a nonsense. Like you said he didn’t actually do much. In fact he had many misplaced crosses in the game. Van dijk and Gomez were better than him in the game. Him and trippier no matter what will somehow end with bonuses whenever Newcastle and Liverpool win/or keep a clean sheet. Regardless of how they actually play.

BootsyCollins

Thanks for the link, will read it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good. Can roll this week now and get him in 21.

There was talk of stress fractures and the like.
You wonder if they've known the whole time he'd likely be out 5-6 weeks.

Sheff Utd home next, which was always a dangerous game, but he surely can't start that next. Then Newcastle away.
Burnley home week 22 looks the game to get him back for, which buys some time and is aided by Salah and Son leaving.

Moby

Dick
There was talk of stress fractures and the like.
You wonder if they've known the whole time he'd likely be out 5-6 weeks.

Sheff Utd home next, which was always a dangerous game, but he surely can't start that next. Then Newcastle away.
Burnley home week 22 looks the game to get him back for, which buys some time and is aided by Salah and Son leaving.
Yeah it doesn't sound like he's gonna be back for SHU.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah it doesn't sound like he's gonna be back for SHU.

That sucks. Holding the money in the bank to get him back in one transfer whilst everyone else has made gains getting Trent in, knowing that they'd have the funds from Salah and Son in 21. Might as well join the Trent wagon now myself and bin Kabore.