Books Fantasy Reads

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
On auri..

the princess he steals?

I'll refer back to the book when I get home tomorrow night. Anyone else get these impressions? I actually thought there was something relating to her and the moon story, I think I spoke about it on here but there are a few other clues that I picked up on recently.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
:lol:

Some of those people there...complete lunatics. He's being writing this series since the 90's and regardless of what he's said he wasn't going to release 3 books in 3 years. He's a bloody slow writer, deal with it.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is another case of the "tale growing as it's being told". There's also no way he's going to finish the story in just 3 books. Given the way he writes and how little of the actual plot line (Amyr, Chandrian, Lanre, Kingkiller etc..) he's covered it will take 4 or 5 books to see it through.

Looking forward to the this book. Perhaps an indication that there's more to Auri's character than just a random girl in the University.
To be fair, Rothfuss said that the entire trilogy was pretty much finished a few years before he published Name of The Wind. It is now just editing, rewritting parts and arguably delaying it deliberately in order to make it more hyped.

I think that the next book will finish a story ark. The Kingkiller chronicles will end (i.e Kvothe will tell his entire story). Still, Kvothe is young (early twenties) and as you said he has a lot of unfinished business (especially with Chandrian). There is potential for a new trilogy (or standalone books). Or Rothfuss will surprise us and just leave it there (i.e Kvothe being a total noob).
On auri..

the princess he steals?

I'll refer back to the book when I get home tomorrow night. Anyone else get these impressions? I actually thought there was something relating to her and the moon story, I think I spoke about it on here but there are a few other clues that I picked up on recently.
I think that is pretty certain. Both of them

She's the princess he'll steal and somehow she's the moon (what does that mean though). I think that and Denna's sponsor being Cinder are the most easy observation to make from all the hidden things Rothfuss has put on the books

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
To be fair, Rothfuss said that the entire trilogy was pretty much finished a few years before he published Name of The Wind. It is now just editing, rewritting parts and arguably delaying it deliberately in order to make it more hyped.

I think that the next book will finish a story ark. The Kingkiller chronicles will end (i.e Kvothe will tell his entire story). Still, Kvothe is young (early twenties) and as you said he has a lot of unfinished business (especially with Chandrian). There is potential for a new trilogy (or standalone books). Or Rothfuss will surprise us and just leave it there (i.e Kvothe being a total noob).
I very much doubt he's delaying it deliberately especially after seeing the amount of abuse he gets.

I will be very disappointed if he just leaves it after the chronicles. I like the way he writes and all but the main plot he outlines in the first book is the Chandrian. That is pretty much what keeps Kvothe going, the desire to take revenge and everything he does is a means to that end. And we've barely touched the surface on that count in the 2 books.

She's the princess he'll steal and somehow she's the moon (what does that mean though). I think that and Denna's sponsor being Cinder are the most easy observation to make from all the hidden things Rothfuss has put on the books
Never knew that, about Denna's sponsor being Cinder. The only thing I picked up is Kvothe's mother being a Lackless and the sister of woman who the Maier married.

Revan

Assumptionman
Never knew that, about Denna's sponsor being Cinder. The only thing I picked up is Kvothe's mother being a Lackless and the sister of woman who the Maier married.
In that chapter when Kvothe fights that dragon-lite creature, it is written many times the phrase 'Ash and Cinder' for the damage that has done to that wedding near there. Denna's sponsor is called Master Ash, and we know that he was at the wedding (actually him and Denna were the only survivors).

Looking at forums then I found an another theory, that actually Master Ash is the old man who helps Kvothe when he goes to serve Maier. The man with whom Kvothe plays with cards and who at times just dissapears for a couple of weeks. Which happens at the time when Denna is on the same city. And then, I found the theory that actually he is also Cinder, which may be a long shoot but actually makes sense

I should read them again before the third book is published. I guess that I can find more hidden things. That one about the wife of Maier is another one I spot.

ctp

I went to the book store today to pre-order The Slow Regard of Silent Things, but for some reason they had it in stock already and sold it to me. :)

I'll do a review once I've read it, it's only 150 pages.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

Kvothe isn't a noob. He's completely OP now. #geektalk.

His story has gone the same way as every other. Gets the beautiful girls, becomes amazing at everything he does including mastering arts in a few months that others dedicate their lives too. But of course he's far too humble to recognise any of this due to his oh-so-sad past. Bleh. It's all been done a million times.

Alock1

What? Kwothe is ridiculously arrogant, what are you talking about?

Revan

Assumptionman
Kvothe is the most arrogant character ever. Don't understand what Smashed is saying.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Depends how you want to look at it. I'd say that's a pretty simple character assessment tbh. He's constantly humbled throughout the story. He doesn't even wear the trousers in his on-off love thing with Denna. He's full of bravado, he's a showman and a total bluffer. Rothfuss is constantly hinting that Kovthe isn't the most truthful of story-tellers. Bear in mind the story we read is being written by Kvothe, not Rothfuss. For someone wielding the intelligence and power Kvothe possesses he's almost certainly more down to earth than most would be. Kvothe's 'arrogance' barely surpasses that of a typical teenager. Except Kvothe is more aware of his own mortality than most teens. He's arrogant of course, but not exceptionally so.

Besides, the arrogance you are talking about is because everything works out for him, and he masters things he has no right to. If he was arrogant with this, he wouldn't have a group of loyal friends hero worshiping him. He doesn't use his power arrogantly, and that make shim endearing. Which is kind of my complaint. I'd love it if he was an arrogant tool who abused his power. It'd make him different.

Revan

Assumptionman
Winter's Heart. I was tempted to throw my kindle from the window, burn my house, kill my neighbour's dog while I was reading this abomination of a book.

Almost nothing happens on 70% of the book. Ishamael makes a great speech on chaos' theory, Elayne trying to become a queen and the identity of Dashiva (Arangar) and Halima (Belthamel :lol:) is revealed. That's all for 500 pages or so. It is fecking annoying reading all that shit while nothing happens. Oh yeah, Rand fecked Elayne and apprently she is pregnant. With twins.

The last quarter of the book is alright. A bit similar to the sixth book (Rand's getting kidnapped) and a bit similar to the ending of the first two books (things going batshit crazy), but Rand managed to clean the saidar. That's all

I really hope that the next (10th) book is better. 3/10

Last edited:

Alock1

So should i still definitely read them Revan?

Revan

Assumptionman
So should i still definitely read them Revan?
Yes. This was the first bad book in my opinion. 1-5 are awesome, some of the best in the genre. 6-7 are good, 8 is decent. Apparently 11th is okay too (from what I read) and Sanderson's three books are all good. So, I have to read only 2 other Jordan's book.

It is annoying when you have to read a book where nothing happens, but still a small sacrifice for this amazing story.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Winter's Heart is indeed by far the worst book, it kind of spoils the books before it.
Nothing happens really and it kind of exaggerates that the books 7 and 8 were the same (which they in fairness were not).
I as well dislike all that Shaido nonsense, all of it should have been cut from the series.

Pointless book.

ctp

The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Hard to give it a rating out of ten; I found it enjoyable, but it is very much contingent on liking Auri as a character. There is little overlap with the Kingkiller chronicle, so I wouldn't recommend it just on the basis of liking that. In fact, there isn't much story going on at all, it is more of a study of Auri's life in the Underthing: if you want to know more about her and the secrets that can be found there, this book is for you. Otherwise it's fine to skip it as well, there won't be a lot you'll learn about the world at large.

Revan

Assumptionman
The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Hard to give it a rating out of ten; I found it enjoyable, but it is very much contingent on liking Auri as a character. There is little overlap with the Kingkiller chronicle, so I wouldn't recommend it just on the basis of liking that. In fact, there isn't much story going on at all, it is more of a study of Auri's life in the Underthing: if you want to know more about her and the secrets that can be found there, this book is for you. Otherwise it's fine to skip it as well, there won't be a lot you'll learn about the world at large.
Do we at-least learn if she is a princess and also the moon?

ctp

Do we at-least learn if she is a princess and also the moon?
No. I think it can't be ruled out, but the story makes it a bit less likely. It is however intimated that Auri's a powerful namer, and that that is (part of) the reason she hides from the world.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
No. I think it can't be ruled out, but the story makes it a bit less likely. It is however intimated that Auri's a powerful namer, and that that is (part of) the reason she hides from the world.
Interesting. Elodin knows about Auri as well I think so maybe there's something going on between them.

ctp

Don't think Auri is in cahoots with Elodin at all. Remember that he told Kvothe he could barely get her to talk to him. He's not part of the story here, either.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Don't think Auri is in cahoots with Elodin at all. Remember that he told Kvothe he could barely get her to talk to him. He's not part of the story here, either.
Not in cahoots perhaps. But Elodin is a powerful namer and he knows about Auri. Auri is apparently a powerful namer as well. Could be a simple coincidence of course but how many namers do we know in the story?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Not in cahoots perhaps. But Elodin is a powerful namer and he knows about Auri. Auri is apparently a powerful namer as well. Could be a simple coincidence of course but how many namers do we know in the story?
I think Elodin does not know Auri, but may know about her. I thought he discovered her by accident and probably might have investigated her background. Kvothe's assumtion that she might be a escapee from the asylum they have may prove to be true. I'm inclined to beleive her as a namer too, but not powerful...more like she will be a key in making Kvothe a better namer/person.

Revan

Assumptionman
Crossloads of Twilight. I'll keep this review short:

Elayne has a bath. For two chapters. Seriously! She's now clean. Cool!
Mat wants to buy a dress to Tuon. And then we have countless of pages describing dresses.
Rand does nothing.
Perryn plans to save Faile. Faile plans to escape. No-one has a clue how to do that though.
Egwene gets kidnapped on the end of the book. That is the only important thing that happens

In short, a book that could have been written on 10 pages instead of hundreds. Despite nothing happens, I liked it slightly more than the previous one.
Rating: 4 out of 10

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Republic of Thieves: Third Gentleman Bastards book.

Still not as good as the first book, but it was highly entertaining. I like the way Lynch tells a backstory along with the current story as interludes to help develop the characters.

Revan

Assumptionman
The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Absolutely awful. A waste of time and money. I know that these kind of books are generally shit anyway, but I was expecting better from Rothfuss.

Last edited:

celia

City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett : I'm glad that the synopsis didn't disappoint me (so I wouldn't say to me that I should have read an older and popular fantasy book instead of a new book). It's a good reading about the consequences of the disappearances of gods and a kind of detective mystery. There are still few things that bugged me but overall I enjoyed it.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
I have no idea if anyone here can help me out with this but this was the first place i thought to ask, so here goes.

I stumbled across this 'Eternal Champion' idea earlier today and found it was a series of books by a fella called Michael Moorcock. After doing a bit of digging it look like there are a fair few books to go at in this 'series' so i wondered if anyone could help me out with where i should be starting, or just a general recommended reading order. I guess you could also tell me if they are fecking shit as well :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Knife of Dreams - Finally, things started to speed up

By far, my favorite part of the book were the parts with Mat and Tuon. Mat has become the best character from them all. I liked his competition with Tuon, their jokes and generally Tuon defeating him on everything to the degree that while she was prisoner, she was making all the calls. The end was nice too, they getting married after she finally became sure that he's the one.

Perrin finally made his grand assault on Shaidu and saved Faile. Helped by the Prophet and a big army of Saenchan Empire. It was also nice to see that Gallina (who was one of the most evil characters on the books) lost and she'll be a slave of Wise Ones for the rest of her life. The Shaidu threat is over for good, with Therana deciding to go back to their lands on Aiel Waste. Savanna getting imprisoned was nice too.

Elayne story was interesting too. Well, considering that the trio of girl heroes love to get captured from their enemies, and they haven't done so in a while, it was time for her to get captured too. With Egwene doing it, she had to do the same. Anyway, Brigitte saved the day. Then Elayne won the war and finally became Queen of Andor.

Egwene continuing being captured on the White Tower and fighting the battle from within. Elaida apparently is too busy to talk with her (or to have someone look at her). At this rate, she'll get Elaida stilled and the Dark One begging for mercy!

Rand is a bit arrogant, isn't him. And a bit stupid. Anyway, Semirhage fought with him and cut his hand. He still won and imprisoned her, but didn't kill her cause she's a woman. Lesson not learned!

A decent book, especially after the last two abominations. 6/10

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Knife of Dreams - Finally, things started to speed up

By far, my favorite part of the book were the parts with Mat and Tuon. Mat has become the best character from them all. I liked his competition with Tuon, their jokes and generally Tuon defeating him on everything to the degree that while she was prisoner, she was making all the calls. The end was nice too, they getting married after she finally became sure that he's the one.

Perrin finally made his grand assault on Shaidu and saved Faile. Helped by the Prophet and a big army of Saenchan Empire. It was also nice to see that Gallina (who was one of the most evil characters on the books) lost and she'll be a slave of Wise Ones for the rest of her life. The Shaidu threat is over for good, with Therana deciding to go back to their lands on Aiel Waste. Savanna getting imprisoned was nice too.

Elayne story was interesting too. Well, considering that the trio of girl heroes love to get captured from their enemies, and they haven't done so in a while, it was time for her to get captured too. With Egwene doing it, she had to do the same. Anyway, Brigitte saved the day. Then Elayne won the war and finally became Queen of Andor.

Egwene continuing being captured on the White Tower and fighting the battle from within. Elaida apparently is too busy to talk with her (or to have someone look at her). At this rate, she'll get Elaida stilled and the Dark One begging for mercy!

Rand is a bit arrogant, isn't him. And a bit stupid. Anyway, Semirhage fought with him and cut his hand. He still won and imprisoned her, but didn't kill her cause she's a woman. Lesson not learned!

A decent book, especially after the last two abominations. 6/10
To be honest, the Tuon/Mat segment is one of my favourites. Hilarious and yes, Mat is my favourite character too.
Egwene in Tower is also highly engrossing and without spoiling for you, I can say that it gets only better in next book.
Enjoy reading

Revan

Assumptionman
New Spring - Before I went into Sanderson territory, I wanted to read the prequel and be done with Jordan.

It is by far, the simplest reading on all WoT books from Jordan.
The story begins on the same day that The Aiel War ends, with Gitara making the prophecy that Dragon has been rebornt. Moiraine and Siuan (which by the way, looks to have been in some kind of platonic romance) were by accident on the room. On that month they became Aes Sedai. The Amyrlin Seat who was the only other person who heard it, sent five Aes Sedai on the mission to find the Dragon. All of them, and Amyrlin too were mysteriously found dead. Siuan had proof for one of them that she wasn't found dead as a sister proclaimed, and considering that she's great at puzzles, they understood that it must be the work of the Black Ajah.

The new AS wants to put Moiraine on the Sun Throne, but she leaves in a hurry to found the Dragon (and doesn't want to become Queen). She meets Cadsuane, and actually thinks that she's a Black Ajah (Cadsuane is cool as ever). Later, she accidentally meets Lan. The book ends on a battle when she fights a black sister (which was Mistress of Novices during Moiraine's time and was considerably stronger than Moiraine, in fact she was slightly less powerful then a fully developed Moiraine, the one we see on the main saga) and both of them liked each other, but ... Finally, she makes Lan her Warder. She makes a deal with Siuan that she will look for the boy, while Siuan will continue helping the head of eyes and ears of the Blue Ajah, which in hindsight seems to have been a great deal, considering that Moiraine will find Rand while Siuan will help her by feeding information (she becomes later the head of eyes and ears of Blue Ajah and eventually the Amyrlin Seat). Both played their part on the patter.

A good book which develops further the characters of Moiraine, Siuan and Lan, 3 of the best characters on the main saga and shows the Moiraine-Siuan relation when they were younger. A bit similar to Egwene-Elayne lite (in power) but much smarter. 6/10

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
The Gathering Storm - Brandon Sanderson comes to save the series. And he does that in an exceptional way.

Egwene Al'Vere. The star of the book and arguably the best 'performance' of a character in the wheel of time sage, if not on any fantasy book. She continues her fight against Elaida do Angry Retard, by continuing to take punishments, but not being broken. And trying to convince sisters, especially sitters that Elaida should get removed. She is also on a meeting to serve drinks to Elaida, when in a conversation she completely destroyes here, making Elaida use the One Power against her. Which makes the Hall give Elaida a punishment, though not remove her as Amyrlin Seat. Anyway, Saenchan finally attack and they do incredibly well. However, Egwene despite not being able to channel in some decent level because of that tea, organizes the novices and makes a good defense. She then gets a saengreal (or whatever they are called) and starts destroying them. With novices and a group of sisters, who at-least for the moment respected her authority he achieves to make them retreat. And doing so, they manage to get Elaida, who during the fight has been sleeping.

Verin :( Such an amazing character. Sacrificing everything to infiltrate the Black Ajah. And boy, she does it in a wonderful way. Finding around 200 black sisters and giving the list to Egwene just before her death. And doing it on such a flashy way. Verin will be missed.

Egwene doesn't manage to catch all of them, but still a great execution takes place. Sheriam (which was a very likeable character) one of the executed.

Cadsuane the magnificient almost breaks Semirhage and would have done so if she wouldn't have been saved by Shaidar. She then (together with Elza) kidnaps Rand and orders him to kill Min. Rand gets terrified, goes batshit crazy and draws from the True Source, balefiring him. Another Forsaken gone for good. She then tries to make a deal with The Daughter of Nine Moons (who later becomes the Empress) but not good luck there. Anyway, Rand goes full mental in this book, almost kills his father, exiles Cadsuane, almost completely destroys Saenchan, before almost destroys the world. Until on the last moment, he has a relevation and instead destroys that powerful statue. On other things, he probably killed Graendal.

Mat's part is fun but not important. He gets a letter from Verin though, which likely will play a role on the next book. Perrin has a very minimal role, while Faile kills the prophet. Nynaeve now has completed the transformation to Moiraine (the version of books 4 and 5). Mentioning her, it is time for her return.

Siuan is also a character that takes a lot of development on this book, which is always good.

Magnificient reading. 10/10

Gorefest

The only doubt I have is whether I will be up to reading another huge series just after I've finished WoT which is pretty fecking big.
Once you've read Malazan Book of the Fallen you will wonder why you ever even bothered with inferior produce such as WoT. MBotF blows most other epic fantasy clean out of the water.

Count Orduck

Once you've read Malazan Book of the Fallen you will wonder why you ever even bothered with inferior produce such as WoT. MBotF blows most other epic fantasy clean out of the water.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen is trash. It's wilfilly obtuse and implacable, with stupid characters and a glossary about ten pages long. Despite all that, it still falls victim to the "nothing happens until the last ten pages" bug that afflicts so many fantasy novels, and what makes it even worse is it's a chore even reaching those last ten pages. If you insist on reading the MBotF, then have a pen and paper nearby to keep notes, because you'll need them to understand what the feck is going on.

The only decent Malazan book that wasn't totally up its own ass was Midnight Tides, and even that was heavy going for little reward.

Being a difficult, complicated book is not a drawback if it's worth the effort ala Dune, but when a novel does it just because the author has a fetish for verbosity (and, apparently, rape scenes), it just makes it a shit book.

Gorefest

I'm a bit surprised that you would bother to read all the way up to book 5 in a series if you cannot stand it.

Count Orduck

I'm a bit surprised that you would bother to read all the way up to book 5 in a series if you cannot stand it.
I got partway into Reaper's Gale before giving up, actually, because I hate leaving a series unfinished even if I'm not enjoying it! But, yeh, I found it to be total, inpenetrable crap that was difficult simply for the sake of being difficult.

Anyway, you gave the impression that the Malazan books were some of the best epic fantasy ever written, putting even well-loved and highly regarded series like the Wheel of Time in the shade. To me, that sounds just as much hysterical nonsense as you no doubt regard my post as.

@Count Orduck doesn't seem to like much in fairness.
Well that's not fair! I like Manchester United!

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
The Malazan Book of the Fallen is trash. It's wilfilly obtuse and implacable, with stupid characters and a glossary about ten pages long. Despite all that, it still falls victim to the "nothing happens until the last ten pages" bug that afflicts so many fantasy novels, and what makes it even worse is it's a chore even reaching those last ten pages. If you insist on reading the MBotF, then have a pen and paper nearby to keep notes, because you'll need them to understand what the feck is going on.
You put me to shame when it comes to criticizing things. Considering how harsh you were on Wheel of Time, I was expecting it to be an abomination. And now that I am near its ending, I can say that it is a fantastic series, second only to ASOIAF from the series I have read.

Count Orduck

You put me to shame when it comes to criticizing things. Considering how harsh you were on Wheel of Time, I was expecting it to be an abomination. And now that I am near its ending, I can say that it is a fantastic series, second only to ASOIAF from the series I have read.
You must not have reached Winter's Heart or Crossroads of Twilight yet then! Wheel of Time was a good premise that held up really well for four books or so, then promptly slipped into utter tedium until Sanderson rescued it at the end. Great start (even if the first half of the Eye of the World is just a carbon rip-off of the LotR), good but not amazing finish (I'd go into detail but don't want to spoil anything for you) but the middle is so boring it killed the entire series for me. Again, though, I had to finish it once I started it!