Books Fantasy Reads

DMacgraw

Finished Battle Ground.
Was as expected. Should have just released Peace Talks and Battle Ground as one book as originally planned
Yes. The consensus from all who had read the pre-release copies is that the two books read better as a single book. But publishers want to make their money. I'm sure the books will feel better on re-reads, where they can be read together as a joint book.

celia

I finished :
- A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik, I was expecting a better book since I like a lot her two previous books. It is an ok reading, I see why a part of it can be seen problematic, it was totally unnecessary. The other reproach, I wasn't really aware while reading. I suppose it depends how much you think this world is realistic (it didn't seem to bring some society problems that a multiethnic place can have though maybe the narrator is completely oblivious to those... but well she is pretty oblivious to lot of things since I feel all the characters except her lack depth).
- The Dragon Keeper (The Rain Wild Chronicles #1) by Robin Hobb. Since I had low expectations, I didn't find it bad, except it doesn't feel a book but just the beginning of a book since there was no climax at the end. So only 3 other books to go. Then three others.
- The Orphan of Cemetery Hill by Hester Fox. Pleasant reading though it is completely lacking in execution. The investigation being solved with lucky coincidences.

I am reading Return of the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.

Last edited:

DMacgraw

After hearing about it for ages, finally decided to take a crack at Discworld. Started today the Might Watch series with Guards! Guards!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
After hearing about it for ages, finally decided to take a crack at Discworld. Started today the Might Watch series with Guards! Guards!
If you don't want the whole series, I'd recommend Going Postal and Making Money. Those two books standalone and are really great.

DMacgraw

If you don't want the whole series, I'd recommend Going Postal and Making Money. Those two books standalone and are really great.
That's interesting. According to the Discworld Reading Order Guide 3.0 (available online), both books are part of the Industrial Revolution Novels, 7 books starting with Moving Pictures. If you loved those two then perhaps you should seek out the other books in that series. The series comprises Moving Pictures, The Truth, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal, Making Money, Raising Steam, and Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook. The standalone I'm dying to read is Good Omens, with Neil Gaiman.

Discworld includes over 40 books, a daunting prospect for anyone who is new to the world. Fortunately, it appears it is possible to take it in bite-sized chunks, each chunk being a set of books with a common theme. I want to start with the Watch Novels, 9 books about a group of guardsmen in the city watch. Supposed to be hilarious. If I'm able to complete that then I'll tackle, in order, the Death Novels (8 books), the Witches Novels (7 books), and then the Industrial Revolution Novels, the Rincewind Novels (10 books), ..., etc. I don't know if I can do all that, but we'll see.

celia

I feel it is better to start the Discworld series with the most praised books that may interest you more. Especially since even some of the books belonging to some sub-series can be read without reading previous books.

It reminds me I have to read more of them. Probably Guards! Guards! then I will probably either read Soul Music or skip it for a better Death book (Hogfather).

DMacgraw

The ones I've seen praised the most include the Watch series, which is why I'm starting there, as well as Mord (the first Death book), Good Omens, and Going Postal. But your advice is sound. If for some reason I'm not feeling the Watch Novels I'll just skip to some individual praised books.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That's interesting. According to the Discworld Reading Order Guide 3.0 (available online), both books are part of the Industrial Revolution Novels, 7 books starting with Moving Pictures.
Those are the books (along with Raising Steam which came later) that feature Moist von Lipwig with a good dose of Lord Vetinari. Plus you don't need to know the Ankh Morpork arc that much so these serve as standalone reads.

Lipwig is probably my favourite character in all discworld along with with Vimes, Vetinari and Death.

The satire is far more relatable to real world and that gives those books an extra credit imo.