Books Fantasy Reads

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Stormlight Archive is the obvious.
Someone in the previous pages didn't like that much..

Depends what you're after really.
I've completed all Tolkien, GRRM books. Loved both, completed WoT, Shannara universes. Completed Potter books as well. Looking for something new. I like traditional fantasy more but willing to try new stuff

caid

Someone in the previous pages didn't like that much..

I've completed all Tolkien, GRRM books. Loved both, completed WoT, Shannara universes. Completed Potter books as well. Looking for something new. I like traditional fantasy more but willing to try new stuff
Give Robin Hobb or Patrick Rothfuss a go. Maybe books of the malazan?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Give Robin Hobb or Patrick Rothfuss a go. Maybe books of the malazan?
If you are getting up there in age (I am) you might want to give Mr. Rothfuss a miss. "The Name of the Wind" the first book in "The Kingkiller Chronicle" series was published in 2007, the second book was published in 2011 and he's still working on the third book. People a little on the older side could easily be dead and gone if he decides to make the series an extended one.

Admittedly, the two books so far are very good.

marktan

I'm similar to you in what I've read so far, but I've also read Stormlight and Kingkiller. Started Blade Itself but didn't get far into it, intend to pick it up again soon though. Stormlight is a slight step down prose wise imo from GoT or even HP, but there's a lot of action in it and the story and characters are cool. Kingkiller there's less action but the prose is high quality and I've read it 2-3 times. I'd recommend hitting up amazon's 'Look Inside' feature or downloading a sample and just reading a couple of pages and see what style interests you. For me writing style does matter a lot in whether I like a book or not.

Revan

Assumptionman
Finally finished Memories of Ice. I am done with Malazan, not even Dune was this difficult to read.

Thinking to start the Ender's game saga.

caid

Finally finished Memories of Ice. I am done with Malazan, not even Dune was this difficult to read.

Thinking to start the Ender's game saga.
Soooo ... which one did you dislike least?

I should get back to it, 2 books to go.
Might leave it till christmas when i have a bit of free time and just binge read them.
They feel like books to binge read

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'll pick one among the three of Farseer, Stormlight and Kingkiller Chronicles. I do like a completed set though.
If you are getting into Stormlight, I'll recommend reading the Mistborn Trilogy before starting Stormlight as it's part of a connected universe and the events of mistborn precede those of Stormlight.

Revan

Assumptionman
Soooo ... which one did you dislike least?

I should get back to it, 2 books to go.
Might leave it till christmas when i have a bit of free time and just binge read them.
They feel like books to binge read
Dune is easily better than anything in the first Malzan books, but after the second book, Dune becomes downright awful, while Malazan is just incomprehensible. As the old saying said, pick your poison
On Mistborn, I read negative feedback on the writing :nervous:
Writing is a bit awkward, but the story is so good, and compensates for it. I think that the original Mistborn trilogy is a must read for any fantasy book fan.

fishfingers15

Dune is easily better than anything in the first Malzan books, but after the second book, Dune becomes downright awful, while Malazan is just incomprehensible. As the old saying said, pick your poison

Writing is a bit awkward, but the story is so good, and compensates for it. I think that the original Mistborn trilogy is a must read for any fantasy book fan.
Is there a original mistborn and another mistborn?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
On Mistborn, I read negative feedback on the writing :nervous:
If prose is important to you then I’d perhaps put Mistborn on the back burner. Though the plot is decent at times it reads a bit like fan fiction.

I’d say to start off with Farseer. The books are broken down into trilogies, all of which are completed, so you won’t have the problem of waiting for the last book as we currently have with Name of the Wind. Robin Hobbs prose is also pretty damn good too.

Help me out here, So I should do Mistborn original and Stromlight?
Mistborn is the first trilogy, Stormlight is a follow up series. All of Sandersons books are part of an overarching storyline, so if you are to read them it would be best to do it chronologically. For what it’s worth Sandersons writing ability has improved since Mistborn.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Ok, my options are Farseer, which is completed, else to Mistborn Original Trilogy and them Stormlight. But Stormlight is not still not completed. Is that fair?
Correct, though I would recommend Kingkiller before Mistborn, even though it isn’t finished either. :D

Revan

Assumptionman
Ok, my options are Farseer, which is completed, else to Mistborn Original Trilogy and them Stormlight. But Stormlight is not still not completed. Is that fair?
Farseer is actually just the first trilogy in 'Realm of the Elderlings' which contains another three trilogies and a 'quantology'. I think that the entire 16 books are worth a read (bar perhaps the fourth saga), but you can stop at the end of Farseer considering that it has a good and complete ending. For what is worth, I think that the second trilogy is easily the best one in the saga, with the first, third and firth being very good too.

Sanderson has this 'Cosmere' thing which contains a lot of his writings. 'Cosmere' is like the universe, with various sagas taking place in different planets of it. Mistborn, Elantris and Stormligh are considered to be the main ingredients of Cosmere, with other works like Warbreaker and short stories taking place in other planets. There is supposed to be at least an another large saga (7 books or so) which will take place in Cosmere. The sagas are not much related to each other (they will be totally connected only in the last saga that I mentioned), and the connections so far have been more in the style of Easter Eggs and a character who is present in every book. The status is something like:

Mistborn - first trilogy (awkward writing, very good story) done, second saga (decent writing, meh story) 3 out of the fourth books done (estimated completion: 2020), third (estimated completion: 2025) and fourth saga (estimated completion: 2040) not written yet.
Elantris - first out of three books written (bad writing, meh story) (estimated completion: 2022)
Warbreaker - first out of two books written (terrible writing, bad story)
Stormlight Archive - 2 out of 10 books written, third one gets published next month (very good writing, amazing story). (estimated completion: 2035)
Dragonsteel - not started yet (estimated completion: 2045 or so)

I would say to read the first Mistborn trilogy and then to jump into Stormligh. Skip Elantris/Warbreaker and consider skipping the second Mistborn saga. As I said, the sagas are self contained so you don't have to read one to understand the other, and there is not a clear defined chronology. In addition, mini-sagas are relatively self contained, so you can read the first Mistborn and be done with it.

Doing the entire Cosmere is a big commitment and it is very likely that Sanderson will need to heavily revise the original scheduling in order to go close to finishing it. While he writes fast and he is still quite young, there is no way that he is gonna make it as planned, considering the large number of books he has to write, and his tendency of always adding books. If you plan to do it, it is gonna be your friend for life, so consider it as a long term project.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Alright, thanks guys. I'll start with Farseer for now. Once I'm done with the trilogy, I'll start with the Cosmere stuff.

Mistborn and Stormlight Archives first.
Farseer is about 16 books and complete

Cosmere:
Mistborn trilogy is 3 books and complete.
Stormlight is part of same universe, but no overlaps at present. 2 books and not finished.
Kingkiller is also is part of same universe, but no overlaps at present. 2 books and not finished.

If you want a trilogy, go for Mistborn. If you are OK with long series go Farseer.

Personally I like Mistborn more than Farseer. Both are very good reads.

DMacgraw

Farseer is about 16 books and complete

Cosmere:
Mistborn trilogy is 3 books and complete.
Stormlight is part of same universe, but no overlaps at present. 2 books and not finished.
Kingkiller is also is part of same universe, but no overlaps at present. 2 books and not finished.

If you want a trilogy, go for Mistborn. If you are OK with long series go Farseer.

Personally I like Mistborn more than Farseer. Both are very good reads.
Surely this must be a mistake? I haven't read Kingkiller, but I find the thought of Pat Rothfuss writing in Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere hard to believe.

The Bloody-Nine

I have read the first Mistborn trilogy and recently finished Kingkiller 1. I don't recall any nods between the two.

ivaldo

I don’t think EAP means that, he’s having a brainfart.

The Bloody-Nine

The Kingkiller Chronicle TV series has landed a network after its announcement late last year.

Showtime announced it is developing the upcoming TV adaptation of author Patrick Rothfuss' best-selling fantasy trilogy of novels. The network did not announce a release date, though.

The show is set generations before the events of the trilogy's first novel, The Name of the Wind. As previously announced, Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda will executive produce the show and also compose the music.

John Rogers (Leverage, The Player) will serve as the showrunner for the first season. Along with Miranda and Rogers, Rothfuss, Robert Lawrence (Clueless), and Jennifer Court (The Player) will also be executive producing.

"Showtime has always championed bold storytelling,” Lin-Manuel Miranda said. “Pat Rothruss' Kingkiller series is some of the most exciting storytelling I have ever read. I could not be more thrilled to help bring the sights and sounds of his wondrous world of Temerant to the screen.”

The Kingkiller Chronicle will follow a pair of wandering performers on their adventures through the startling world of Temerant. The books focus on narrator Kvothe recounting the tales of his early days, before becoming the most infamous swordsman, musician, and magician in the world.

Lionsgate is producing a variety of Kingkiller projects, including the TV adaptation, a theatrical film, and games.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/10/...onicle-series?abthid=59f350b8a5fd48a246000007

ivaldo

Cool. Will be interesting how they get across Rothfuss’ style. I’m not sure how transferable it will be. His strength is in beautiful prose, but his world isn’t exactly awe inspiring.

fishfingers15

So, I ended up taking the Stormlight Archive instead of Farseer/Mistborn as the first books in both those series were out in the local library :lol: I'm hoping this is a trilogy contained within itself and doesn't depend on Mistborn

marktan

So, I ended up taking the Stormlight Archive instead of Farseer/Mistborn as the first books in both those series were out in the local library :lol: I'm hoping this is a trilogy contained within itself and doesn't depend on Mistborn
I read Stormlight before reading Mistborn and there's really no overlap. Maybe some bits of magic are similar but there's no characters that appear in both, aside from 1 random dream-like guy that appears for like a couple of pages if I remember correctly. Personally I didn't really enjoy Mistborn as much as Stormlight, the style seemed a bit more kiddy though the plot was ok.

On the show announcement above, I've read quite a few of those sort of things for Kingkiller and until they actually start filming I'd be pretty skepticial as to whether it's going ahead. Having a network though is a step forward but I'd be curious as to details like budget etc. On the plot not entirely sure doing a completely different plot set in a previous time is a good idea, the strength of fantasy shows rests majorly on the strength of the writing and having to come up with a plot from scratch will be a tough ask. GoT's struggled dialogue and plot wise ever since it surpassed the book, resorting to things like callbacks for humour and has pretty much introduced plot armour now too over the last two seasons. Hobbit's another whose adaptation struggled a lot due to lack of book material. Could end up working for Kingkiller given how good Rothfuss is with dialogue etc and depending on how much they spend but can just as easily see it being meh.

Last edited:

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Not a trilogy but 10 Books. @Revan's post above comprehensively covers the book series which form part of Sanderson's Cosmere saga. While each series is self contained there are aspects in each of them that can be understood when taken as a whole

I read Stormlight before reading Mistborn and there's really no overlap. Maybe some bits of magic are similar but there's no characters that appear in both, aside from 1 random dream-like guy that appears for like a couple of pages if I remember correctly. Personally I didn't really enjoy Mistborn as much as Stormlight, the style seemed a bit more kiddy though the plot was ok.

On the show announcement above, I've read quite a few of those sort of things for Kingkiller and until they actually start filming I'd be pretty skepticial as to whether it's going ahead. Having a network though is a step forward but I'd be curious as to details like budget etc. On the plot not entirely sure doing a completely different plot set in a previous time is a good idea, the strength of fantasy shows rests majorly on the strength of the writing and having to come up with a plot from scratch will be a tough ask. GoT's struggled dialogue and plot wise ever since it surpassed the book, resorting to things like callbacks for humour and has pretty much introduced plot armour now too over the last two seasons. Hobbit's another whose adaptation struggled a lot due to lack of book material. Could end up working for Kingkiller given how good Rothfuss is with dialogue etc and depending on how much they spend but can just as easily see it being meh.
There are two confirmed characters that have appeared in both books. One is in an interlude chapter, who also makes an unconfirmed (so far) appearance in Oathbringer. The other character though has a small role in Mistborn but has appeared in all of Sanderson's books including Stormlight Archive where, in fact, he has more screen presence. This is apart from characters from other books appearing in Stormlight Archive. Some of who are easy to identify if you have read the other books.

Revan

Assumptionman
I liked Ender's game. At times it felt young adult and a bit ridiculous, but still enjoyed the lot of it. Will continue reading the saga.

The Bloody-Nine

I'm a fair way through the first Dresden Files book. It's....interesting. Not sure I care for the writing that much, though I know it was written in 2000 so he's probably refined his style over the years.

DMacgraw

I would say to read the first Mistborn trilogy and then to jump into Stormligh. Skip Elantris/Warbreaker and consider skipping the second Mistborn saga. As I said, the sagas are self contained so you don't have to read one to understand the other, and there is not a clear defined chronology. In addition, mini-sagas are relatively self contained, so you can read the first Mistborn and be done with it.
@fishfingers15,
It is important to remember when reading all book recommendations that individual tastes differ significantly from person to person. No two people are exactly alike in their likes and dislikes. For example, I have read all the books Revan talks about, and my recommendation would be the exact opposite of his; I enjoyed Elantris and Warbreaker, and I much much prefer Mistborn Era 2 (Wax and Wayne) to Era 1 (Original) - I find Era 1 far too grim and dark, especially the 3rd book, and not much fun to read.

My suggestion would be for you to take as many of the series talked about here as you can get your hands on, then read at least the first book of each series, and decide for yourself which series you like and want to continue, and which ones to drop. Just to give you an example of a great way to approach this, I would mention that earlier in this thread I indicated that, while I think that as a whole the Malazan series is incomprehensible rubbish (despite its supporters considering it the greatest fantasy series ever written, a great illustration of the point I'm trying to make), I like specific books in the series (books 2 and 3) that I consider unique in fantasy literature. Revan wanted to find out for himself whether or not he would like it. He just reported that after reading books 1-3 he has decided to drop the series; he found most of it incomprehensible and too much of a slog to read. I would suggest you take the same approach to any series mentioned on this thread.

fishfingers15

Not a trilogy but 10 Books. @Revan's post above comprehensively covers the book series which form part of Sanderson's Cosmere saga. While each series is self contained there are aspects in each of them that can be understood when taken as a whole

There are two confirmed characters that have appeared in both books. One is in an interlude chapter, who also makes an unconfirmed (so far) appearance in Oathbringer. The other character though has a small role in Mistborn but has appeared in all of Sanderson's books including Stormlight Archive where, in fact, he has more screen presence. This is apart from characters from other books appearing in Stormlight Archive. Some of who are easy to identify if you have read the other books.
Thanks @marktan and @harshad

Harsha, from what I understood from Revan's post, I could read Stormlight Archive as a trilogy without worrying about the entire 'cosmere' concept. These books are by themselves contained and I can read the others later. Anyway, it's too late to go back on it. I've taken the first book and I'm going through with it.

fishfingers15

@fishfingers15,
It is important to remember when reading all book recommendations that individual tastes differ significantly from person to person. No two people are exactly alike in their likes and dislikes. For example, I have read all the books Revan talks about, and my recommendation would be the exact opposite of his; I enjoyed Elantris and Warbreaker, and I much much prefer Mistborn Era 2 (Wax and Wayne) to Era 1 (Original) - I find Era 1 far too grim and dark, especially the 3rd book, and not much fun to read.

My suggestion would be for you to take as many of the series talked about here as you can get your hands on, then read at least the first book of each series, and decide for yourself which series you like and want to continue, and which ones to drop. Just to give you an example of a great way to approach this, I would mention that earlier in this thread I indicated that, while I think that as a whole the Malazan series is incomprehensible rubbish (despite its supporters considering it the greatest fantasy series ever written, a great illustration of the point I'm trying to make), I like specific books in the series (books 2 and 3) that I consider unique in fantasy literature. Revan wanted to find out for himself whether or not he would like it. He just reported that after reading books 1-3 he has decided to drop the series; he found most of it incomprehensible and too much of a slog to read. I would suggest you take the same approach to any series mentioned on this thread.
Alright thanks man. I think once you start a series, ultimately you end up doing all the books, especially if you have access to library like I do. Literally, it doesn't cost a penny :D I think it's just a question of should I start the Brian Sanderson universe or something different like Farseer.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Thanks @marktan and @harshad

Harsha, from what I understood from Revan's post, I could read Stormlight Archive as a trilogy without worrying about the entire 'cosmere' concept. These books are by themselves contained and I can read the others later. Anyway, it's too late to go back on it. I've taken the first book and I'm going through with it.
I wouldn't worry about which one you start with for Sanderson. While he has his Cosmere stuff, really each of the different series are entirely self contained in terms of stories. It's only in the Stormlight one where he starts to actually put the Cosmere stuff into writing, and even then I wouldn't worry as it is still only just touching upon the idea at this stage. For all the other series, it is more of a case of he had a tiny easter egg in a random unnamed character who wasn't overly relevant to the plot and his description is the same as the other series. Without the internet and Sanderson talking about it, no one would even know reading the book.

ivaldo

Alright thanks man. I think once you start a series, ultimately you end up doing all the books, especially if you have access to library like I do. Literally, it doesn't cost a penny :D I think it's just a question of should I start the Brian Sanderson universe or something different like Farseer.
I’m not a fan of Sanderson though I don’t think it helped that I had read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow before it so the prose seemed, well, laborious to read. His characters seem quite shallow and the way he attempts to add history and depth to them is forced. The way they converse with one another also seems contrived to me, and the banter is a bit off.

But then again he creates a good world and a thorough magic system and his action scenes are really quite good.

I much prefer Robin Hobb whose prose is a lot prettier and her novels are character-centric, while her action scenes are vague they focus more on the emotions of her POV characters instead of what is actually happening.

What it all comes down to is taste, really.

Will Absolute

I’m not a fan of Sanderson though I don’t think it helped that I had read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow before it so the prose seemed, well, laborious to read. His characters seem quite shallow and the way he attempts to add history and depth to them is forced. The way they converse with one another also seems contrived to me, and the banter is a bit off.

But then again he creates a good world and a thorough magic system and his action scenes are really quite good.

I much prefer Robin Hobb whose prose is a lot prettier and her novels are character-centric, while her action scenes are vague they focus more on the emotions of her POV characters instead of what is actually happening.

What it all comes down to is taste, really.
I find it difficult to read books where the writer has no feel for language. Even if the prose is simple, the words should be well-chosen. For many fantasy writers the language is just a vehicle for moving the story from A to B: any lumbering, old jalopy will do as long as it gets the job done.

Perhaps because they're not born writers. They're literate and intelligent, think they could do as good a job as the next guy, and decide to try their hand in a popular genre.

Before she became Robin Hobb and started turning out trilogies, Megan Lindholm wrote shorter fiction. Alien Earth is an interesting sci-fi novel.