Books Fantasy Reads

DMacgraw

Sanderson definitely can deliver when he has to but he undertakes a lot of projects. He'd finished off the Wheel of Time series a lot lot faster than Jordan ever would have. Is this Stormlight Archive series worth reading though? Also, with 3 books in 7 years, does it look like he's interested enough in it or would he get distracted?
Stormlight is his magnum opus, his main project. He writes other books to keep himself fresh and avoid burnout.

Revan

Assumptionman
Hmm, didn't know that they are in the same universe, interesting. I read Mistborn quite a while ago

Hoid was the wit right? Just can't seem to recall him from Mistborn but i think he appeared in Elantris as well.
Hoid appears in every Cosmere novel. Stormligh books, Mistborn books, Elantris, Warbreaker, all of them.

After Stormligh there will be a series of books which will show his history and hopefully explain his ability of jumping between different worlds.

Revan

Assumptionman
60% in and I am totally disappointed. Dalinar's chapters are good, but other than them, I am finding the book very boring and just padding for the ending. No idea why this had to have 1200 pages considering that outside of Dalinar's characters (which are more past story than anything) nothing has happened yet.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
60% in and I am totally disappointed. Dalinar's chapters are good, but other than them, I am finding the book very boring and just padding for the ending. No idea why this had to have 1200 pages considering that outside of Dalinar's characters (which are more past story than anything) nothing has happened yet.
Yeah I agree. I love the back stories, but the main plot hasn't moved a lot. And Jasnah has been a disappointment till now.

Will reserve full review later...im just 45% done...

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Half way through The Heroes and I'm quite disappointed so far. I really like Joe Abercrombie but his writing has become, well, stale. Is it worth reading Shattered Sea after this (I know it's YA) or is it more of the same?

Honestly, if it wasn’t for Stephen Paceys excellent rendition on the audiobook I would seriously consider moving on.

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished Oathbriner. I am totally disappointed and think that it was a step down from the previous books. For a start, it should have been 400-600 pages long, not 1200 with the first 2/3 of the books being totally pointless bar Dalinar's memories. The ending was nice, and the twists were as good as ever (though they are starting becoming predictable), but it sounds more and more like Wheel of Time middle books when nothing happens until the climax of the story.

Oh, and I love Lift. For once, Sanderson has created a really funny character.

Odium was nowhere as terrifying as I thought he would be. He even looked to me as a cheap copy of Ruin.

Saying that, I think that this is the first Cosmer book that is actually starting to connect different stories. For most part, until now the Cosmere has just been some Easter Eggs in the shape of Hoid, but now things have started getting connected. Most likely there will be things that we won't know for decades, but at times this felt more as a part of a greater story rather than just Stormlight Archive.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Half way through The Heroes and I'm quite disappointed so far. I really like Joe Abercrombie but his writing has become, well, stale. Is it worth reading Shattered Sea after this (I know it's YA) or is it more of the same?

Honestly, if it wasn’t for Stephen Paceys excellent rendition on the audiobook I would seriously consider moving on.
Shattered Sea is distinctively Abercrombie, but is is much lighter than The First law books, and to some degree, different.

I enjoyed it a lot (especially the first book), but I am a sucker when it comes to Abercrombie. And well, I really loved The Heroes.

The Bloody-Nine

Shattered Sea is distinctively Abercrombie, but is is much lighter than The First law books, and to some degree, different.

I enjoyed it a lot (especially the first book), but I am a sucker when it comes to Abercrombie. And well, I really loved The Heroes.
So did I.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

There's nothing wrong with it as such, it's just very similar to his previous books. I'll give a whirl after Red Country.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Finished Xenocide. Unlike the first two books in the sage, I really didn't like this. The story became boring, almost a vessel of Orson Scott Card trying (and mainly failing) to philosophize and spread his Mormon ideas. Additionally, the 'science fiction' in this science fiction book was arguably the worst I've seen. I mean, for Gosh sake, if the science in the book is totally ridiculous, it is better to not try to make it sound rational. Avoid any explanation of it.

On the bright side, I would be quite surprised if some of the ideas on Hyperion Cantos (mostly on the Endyminion duology) haven't been influenced from this book. Just that Dan Simmons did a better job on explaining them without pretending to be an insane physics professor.

I don't know if I am going to read the last book in main Ender's saga, the word is that it becomes even worse. For now though, giving it a break, especially with Oathbringer coming tomorrow.
I wouldn't bother with the rest of the books. They slowly just get worse, and from memory I think only the first Bean book after that was passable for enjoyment.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
It's a little different for sure and I was a touch uncertain when I started reading the first one. Stuck with it though and glad I did.

Watson has a new book out, the first in a trilogy called 'You Die When You Die'. Probably try it after I finish what exists of Kingkiller. I generally prefer starting series that have already been completed but what can you do.
Got to be honest I am struggling with the second book, Clash of Iron. AKA let's have as many shitty things happen to favourite characters as possible. Abercrombie et al are good at having shit things happen to favourite characters because there's always a final pay off- the knowledge that there will be an up to every down and that we will at least have a somewhat satisfying ending.

There's none of that here, just shit things happening and the 'bad guys' winning. Everyone knows how this story played out in real life so where is the suspense that maybe the good guys will catch a break? I've heard the third book is amazing, but I'm not sure I'll read it. I am about 50 pages from the end of the second book and it's taken me a lot of effort to read this far just because I always knew what was going to happen yet had no desire to see it unfold.

Reading this book is like watching Spartacus again. You know how it's going to end and it's gonna feel shitty.

The Bloody-Nine

Got to be honest I am struggling with the second book, Clash of Iron. AKA let's have as many shitty things happen to favourite characters as possible. Abercrombie et al are good at having shit things happen to favourite characters because there's always a final pay off- the knowledge that there will be an up to every down and that we will at least have a somewhat satisfying ending.

There's none of that here, just shit things happening and the 'bad guys' winning. Everyone knows how this story played out in real life so where is the suspense that maybe the good guys will catch a break? I've heard the third book is amazing, but I'm not sure I'll read it. I am about 50 pages from the end of the second book and it's taken me a lot of effort to read this far just because I always knew what was going to happen yet had no desire to see it unfold.

Reading this book is like watching Spartacus again. You know how it's going to end and it's gonna feel shitty.
Been a while since I've read them but I think I know what you're referring to. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Mindhunter

Just started reading the book and onto the third chapter. Reviews here don't seem very encouraging though. I am coming straight out of reading the Reckoners so this feels a lot slow now - even though the first 2 books were paced similarly.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Finally finished Oathbringer.

Quite confused about this honestly.

Length: My first impression after the book was over was "finally!". It felt like reading a Malazan book. I found it to drag in places and could not really understand why certain segments were even written, except perhaps to pad up the page count. It could have done with 250 less pages making it a more crisper read

PoV's: Honestly not a big fan of the constant switching of PoVs. Again felt like Malazan. Dalinar (now), Dalinar (old), Venli, Kaladin, 3 profiles of Shallan, Moash, Teft, Szeth etc is a bit too difficult to fit in cohesively. The switches are abrupt and does not have any flow between them. This is taking multiple PoVs to a bit extreme.

Plot: Certainly more epic in scale than previous versions. Love the twists and turns though I feel this get diluted by the length and switching of PoVs. It felt like reading a Avengers movie in fantasy. I though this will be a classic good vs evil fantasy, but in putting the Parshmen in a different light actually murks up the moralities which is fascinating and very interesting. The climax feels again feels like a movie cliche. Hero faces near defeat and rises up to chase the villain away and was a bit disappointing...with the wedding as a post-credit scene. Too much tying up loose ends in final chapter takes a lot away from the rest of the book.

Cosmere link: It was quite interesting to see more obvious similarities between the novels like naming conventions (preservation/ruin vs honour/cultivation and 10 gemstones vs metals giving unique properties.

Questions maybe for subsequent books: How did Honor die? Why is Odium helping Parshmen? What's thr part of Cultivation in all this? Humans came to Roshar from where and how did they destroy their home planet?

Who are the Radiants and their Orders?

Windrunners - Kaladin, Teft, Lopen
Skybreakers - Szeth, Nale
Dustbringers - Malat
Edgedancers - Lift
Lightweavers - Shallan
Elsecallers - Jasnah
Truthwatchers - Renarin (or is he a corrupted spren?)
Bondsmiths - Dalinar
Willshapers - ?
Stonewards - Odium had some, but none on Dalinar's side?

Revan

Assumptionman
Finally finished Oathbringer.

Quite confused about this honestly.

Length: My first impression after the book was over was "finally!". It felt like reading a Malazan book. I found it to drag in places and could not really understand why certain segments were even written, except perhaps to pad up the page count. It could have done with 250 less pages making it a more crisper read

PoV's: Honestly not a big fan of the constant switching of PoVs. Again felt like Malazan. Dalinar (now), Dalinar (old), Venli, Kaladin, 3 profiles of Shallan, Moash, Teft, Szeth etc is a bit too difficult to fit in cohesively. The switches are abrupt and does not have any flow between them. This is taking multiple PoVs to a bit extreme.

Plot: Certainly more epic in scale than previous versions. Love the twists and turns though I feel this get diluted by the length and switching of PoVs. It felt like reading a Avengers movie in fantasy. I though this will be a classic good vs evil fantasy, but in putting the Parshmen in a different light actually murks up the moralities which is fascinating and very interesting. The climax feels again feels like a movie cliche. Hero faces near defeat and rises up to chase the villain away and was a bit disappointing...with the wedding as a post-credit scene. Too much tying up loose ends in final chapter takes a lot away from the rest of the book.

Cosmere link: It was quite interesting to see more obvious similarities between the novels like naming conventions (preservation/ruin vs honour/cultivation and 10 gemstones vs metals giving unique properties.

Questions maybe for subsequent books: How did Honor die? Why is Odium helping Parshmen? What's thr part of Cultivation in all this? Humans came to Roshar from where and how did they destroy their home planet?

Who are the Radiants and their Orders?

Windrunners - Kaladin, Teft, Lopen
Skybreakers - Szeth, Nale
Dustbringers - Malat
Edgedancers - Lift
Lightweavers - Shallan
Elsecallers - Jasnah
Truthwatchers - Renarin (or is he a corrupted spren?)
Bondsmiths - Dalinar
Willshapers - ?
Stonewards - Odium had some, but none on Dalinar's side?
Agree with length (in fact, I would have cut half of it), don't agree with multiple POV (I like books with multiple POV). There are many more Cosmere links than those you mentioned, most notably:

There are now three characters from Warbreaker in Stormlight (not counting the omnipresent Hoid), with Azure (Vivenna being the third one).

About questions:

Odium killed Honor. Odium has been killing other shards from the beginning, and he has killed 3-4 other shards, including both Sel shards. How he killed Honor, we don't know yet, but my bet is that he somehow used Cultivation on doing that. Shards typically have the same raw power, and so my bet is that Cultivation was tired of the endless Desolations which didn't allow her to grow anything, and so the only way out was to actually kill one of Odium/Honor.

I don't know why Odium is helping Parshmen considering that he is the God of humans, while Honor was the God of Parshmen. Again speculation, but most likely because it was so much easier to control them via the spren. I mean, the ancient spren are spirits of Parshmen who were originally killed in the wars, and they hate humans. When someone hates, he is easily being manipulated from Odium, so ...

I think that Heralds/Radiants were so powerful that they destroyed their home planet and somehow find a way to Roshan, bringing Odium with them. Soon, they started worshiping Honor instead and started fighting against Parshmen, which in turn start worshiping Odium. Then Desolations, death of Honor but not without him jailing Odium (very similar to Ruin/Preservation war).

You're right about Radiants, however Nale is actually a Herald. There are other Heralds still alive, but the king of Hearalds was killed from Moash near the end of the book

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
(I like books with multiple POV).
So do I. But how.many PoVs are there in this? Feels like 15. Never seen so many outside of Malazan.

Honor was the God if Parshmen? I thought all 3 we're human God's and Odium somehow stopped being worshipped. So maybe he has a vendetta against Humans and so supports Parshmen...

I think it's mentioned during Gavilars assassination chapter that Parshmen did not want their Gods returned because they are full of hate. The souls of Parshmen Gods make up the Fused...or so I thought.

And was Gavilar misguided? He seems to think bringing back Parshmen Gods and Radiants will make both races better...and Parshmen killed him for that.

Revan

Assumptionman
So do I. But how.many PoVs are there in this? Feels like 15. Never seen so many outside of Malazan.

Honor was the God if Parshmen? I thought all 3 we're human God's and Odium somehow stopped being worshipped. So maybe he has a vendetta against Humans and so supports Parshmen...

I think it's mentioned during Gavilars assassination chapter that Parshmen did not want their Gods returned because they are full of hate. The souls of Parshmen Gods make up the Fused...or so I thought.

And was Gavilar misguided? He seems to think bringing back Parshmen Gods and Radiants will make both races better...and Parshmen killed him for that.
The main three between them had more than half of the book. Then you have some lesser POV, in addition to Interludes. I didn't have problems with that.
I think that Honor and Cultivation were the original Gods of Roshar, while Odin was the God the humans brought when they came at the planet. Then they stopped worshiping him and worshiped Honor (Almighty) instead. During the wars, the spirits of Parshmen who were full of hate of humans (they gave shelter to humans, while humans later started killing them) were an easy prey for Odium, whose main attribute is hate, and so he essentially became the God of parshmen (he can control the ancient spirits, Fuse, who in turn can control parshmen). Desolations destroyed everything and didn't allow Cultivation to cultivate everything, and somehow later (most likely in the last Desolation), Odium killed Honor, while Honor somehow managed to prison him. At the same time, the Heralds betrayed one of them, and who knows how (most likely related to Honor-Odium struggle, or probably a deal between Odium and Cultivation) humanity enslaved Parshmen.

The more I think, the more it makes sense that Odium and Cultivation teamed up to destroy Honor, and then enslaved Parshmen, allowing for the planet to be able to cultivate things. Odium kills his archenemy while with the end of Desolations, Cultivation can continue cultivating things. Why the two original Roshar shards didn't team up, I don't know. Probably because Odium might be the strongest Shard (next to Harmony, obviously) or at least, the one with the most destructive abilities.

Parshmen didn't want Fused to be returned obviously. They seem to be relatively peaceful when they are not in the war form, which seem to be directly controlled from Fused and so Odium.

It looks that Gavilar was misguided. He was in the same organization as Amarand, after all. To be fair, it looks that everyone bar Jasmah has being a fool all along.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The main three between them had more than half of the book. Then you have some lesser POV, in addition to Interludes. I didn't have problems with that.
I think that Honor and Cultivation were the original Gods of Roshar, while Odin was the God the humans brought when they came at the planet. Then they stopped worshiping him and worshiped Honor (Almighty) instead. During the wars, the spirits of Parshmen who were full of hate of humans (they gave shelter to humans, while humans later started killing them) were an easy prey for Odium, whose main attribute is hate, and so he essentially became the God of parshmen (he can control the ancient spirits, Fuse, who in turn can control parshmen). Desolations destroyed everything and didn't allow Cultivation to cultivate everything, and somehow later (most likely in the last Desolation), Odium killed Honor, while Honor somehow managed to prison him. At the same time, the Heralds betrayed one of them, and who knows how (most likely related to Honor-Odium struggle, or probably a deal between Odium and Cultivation) humanity enslaved Parshmen.

The more I think, the more it makes sense that Odium and Cultivation teamed up to destroy Honor, and then enslaved Parshmen, allowing for the planet to be able to cultivate things. Odium kills his archenemy while with the end of Desolations, Cultivation can continue cultivating things. Why the two original Roshar shards didn't team up, I don't know. Probably because Odium might be the strongest Shard (next to Harmony, obviously) or at least, the one with the most destructive abilities.

Parshmen didn't want Fused to be returned obviously. They seem to be relatively peaceful when they are not in the war form, which seem to be directly controlled from Fused and so Odium.

It looks that Gavilar was misguided. He was in the same organization as Amarand, after all. To be fair, it looks that everyone bar Jasmah has being a fool all along.
But is Honor really dead? Since Odium says Dalinar is Ascended, can he be the new Honor? All those who possessed original shards are all Ascended too. Since a shard is part of Adolonisium, I doubt it could be 'killed'. Like Harmony was created after Vin 'killed' Ruin... combining both shards.

Revan

Assumptionman
But is Honor really dead? Since Odium says Dalinar is Ascended, can he be the new Honor? All those who possessed original shards are all Ascended too. Since a shard is part of Adolonisium, I doubt it could be 'killed'. Like Harmony was created after Vin 'killed' Ruin... combining both shards.
Shards can definitely be killed. It is called shattering them, which means killing the person who holds the shard while shattering the shard into many pieces and so making it impossible to be hold from other people. Both Sel shards are dead, while the Shard from the planet of Warbreaker seem to have willingly be shattered into multiple pieces (voices).

I don't think that Dalinar is a new shard, he is just linked with Stormfather who is Honor's echo and the third most powerful being in the planet after Odium and Cultivation.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Shards can definitely be killed. It is called shattering them, which means killing the person who holds the shard while shattering the shard into many pieces and so making it impossible to be hold from other people. Both Sel shards are dead, while the Shard from the planet of Warbreaker seem to have willingly be shattered into multiple pieces (voices).

I don't think that Dalinar is a new shard, he is just linked with Stormfather who is Honor's echo and the third most powerful being in the planet after Odium and Cultivation.
do you refer to splintering? Both Sel shards still exist in Cognitive Realm iirc. I mean it's not given that they can't be recalled forever....they form ser or sor or something like that together....again, similar to Harmony.

Why do you consider Dalinar to be 3rd powerful? You have other shards still existing other than Odium and Cultivation, right? Example, Harmony is both preservation and ruin combined so in theory should be more powerful than Odium. And the other single shards also must be more powerful than Honor's echo.

Revan

Assumptionman
do you refer to splintering? Both Sel shards still exist in Cognitive Realm iirc. I mean it's not given that they can't be recalled forever....they form ser or sor or something like that together....again, similar to Harmony.

Why do you consider Dalinar to be 3rd powerful? You have other shards still existing other than Odium and Cultivation, right? Example, Harmony is both preservation and ruin combined so in theory should be more powerful than Odium. And the other single shards also must be more powerful than Honor's echo.
Yes, splintering (shattering was the splintering of Andalosium). I don't think that Sel shards exist in Cognitive Realm, just that their echo/effect still exists in the form of Aons and other Sel' magic. Same for the shard of Warbreaker world, who doesn't exist anymore, but its fragment exist in the form of voices. I think it is different to how Preservation died. Odium seems to have found a way to actually kill the other shards, with the goal of becoming the only shard in the universe and so the most powerful being.

However, I think that there might be some way of actually joining the shards, and I think that in the end, Andalosium will come back.

I think that Stormfather is the third most powerful being in Rashar, because Brandon himself said that he is the strongest sprem and stronger than his Cultivation equivalent, the Nightwatcher (probably because Honor is dead, while Cultivation is alive). Of course, the third most powerful being in the planet, not in the universe. Most likely, Harmony is the strongest being in the universe considering that he holds two shards and Odium fears him. However, considering that the shards Harmony holds are the anti-thesis of each other, it is very difficult for him to actually do something, while for Odium is much easier considering that he has a single motivation.

I've read somewhere that Harmony can decide to Ruin Odium's plans in order to Preserve the universe. A nice game of words, but surely it needs to be something like that in order for Harmony to actually fight Odium.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yes, splintering (shattering was the splintering of Andalosium). I don't think that Sel shards exist in Cognitive Realm, just that their echo/effect still exists in the form of Aons and other Sel' magic. Same for the shard of Warbreaker world, who doesn't exist anymore, but its fragment exist in the form of voices. I think it is different to how Preservation died. Odium seems to have found a way to actually kill the other shards, with the goal of becoming the only shard in the universe and so the most powerful being.

However, I think that there might be some way of actually joining the shards, and I think that in the end, Andalosium will come back.

I think that Stormfather is the third most powerful being in Rashar, because Brandon himself said that he is the strongest sprem and stronger than his Cultivation equivalent, the Nightwatcher (probably because Honor is dead, while Cultivation is alive). Of course, the third most powerful being in the planet, not in the universe. Most likely, Harmony is the strongest being in the universe considering that he holds two shards and Odium fears him. However, considering that the shards Harmony holds are the anti-thesis of each other, it is very difficult for him to actually do something, while for Odium is much easier considering that he has a single motivation.

I've read somewhere that Harmony can decide to Ruin Odium's plans in order to Preserve the universe. A nice game of words, but surely it needs to be something like that in order for Harmony to actually fight Odium.
I think I need to read Elantris now, just to be complete of this universe.

yeah, I think Adolonisium will merge together again. Maybe Sazed is Dalinar equivalent of a bondsmith having combined Ruin and Preservation.

Interesting point is Hoid. I'm looking forward to Dragonsteel series to see background on Hoid. The name itself is revealing...do we actually see dragons? I hope not. Then it'd look eerily similar to Malazan.

How was Hoid present during the shattering? Who is he? What powers does he have? Is he an echo of Adolonisium?

Edit: Preservation still exists in Harmony, right? Despite it getting killed to stop Ruin? Same should apply to Sel shards...

Revan

Assumptionman
I think I need to read Elantris now, just to be complete of this universe.

yeah, I think Adolonisium will merge together again. Maybe Sazed is Dalinar equivalent of a bondsmith having combined Ruin and Preservation.

Interesting point is Hoid. I'm looking forward to Dragonsteel series to see background on Hoid. The name itself is revealing...do we actually see dragons? I hope not. Then it'd look eerily similar to Malazan.

How was Hoid present during the shattering? Who is he? What powers does he have? Is he an echo of Adolonisium?

Edit: Preservation still exists in Harmony, right? Despite it getting killed to stop Ruin? Same should apply to Sel shards...
Did you read Warbreaker? I think that while it sucks as a book, it is very important to understand Cosmere. Elantris less so, but it will have sequels so you have to read it.

I don't think that it will be a person who will merge Adolonsium, more like a series of events who will do so. Sazed was just lucky to combine two shards, who were anyway dead shards at the time he combined them. Doing the same for 16 of them (with 5 of them being splintered) is more or less impossible for a single person. However, there are some demi-gods in the play now (Kelsier, Marsh, Varesh, and obviously Hoid). I have a feeling that everything will be combined in the final Mistborn series.

Dead cert that we will see dragons. There is a letter in The Way of Kings written by Hoid, sent to a dragon. So yep, there are dragons in the Cosmere.

Hoid was present during the shattering though I don't know what he did there. He isn't a reliable narrator, so he might be lying, but he claims to know (and have been friends) with the shards. For example, he says that the person who holds Odium was evil even before the got Odium, while at the contrary, Ati (Ruin's holder) was a nice person before he got consumed by the force of Ruin. I don't think that he is an echo of Adolonsium, but I have a feeling that he works for the return of it.

I think that he is easily the most powerful non-shard entity we have seen, but he is limited to not being able to kill. It is interesting to see how does that limitation comes from, maybe it is just psychological (for whatever reasons he has decided to not kill), but it is a limitation nevertheless. I think that he has the ability to use all types of magic, in addition to being more or less impossible to be killed.

Preservation and Ruin exist in Harmony. But they were killed from each other, while the other five shards have been killed from Odium in such a way that no-one can hold them in the future. I think it is a bit different the way they were killed.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I enjoyed Oathbringer.

Wasn't expecting Odium to make such an appearance so early. I was thinking that he would appear somewhere closer to book 5.

The epilogue of WOR had Hoid admitting to Jasnah that after her conversations with the High Spren in Shadesmar, there may be something which she knows that even he doesn't know. Would have liked some more info on that. Loved Kaladin's arc. That was really well done. Think there is more tragic events in store for Kaladin in the future.

Also, didn't like how nothing much has come out of Adolin's confession of killing Sadeas. Probably future conflict between Dalinar and Szeth. Szeth hasn't bonded any spren yet, right?

Really interested in knowing how the Oath Pact works now with Jezerien getting killed. Last year I had asked Sanderson on reddit regarding how a person becomes a Herald and is there any way for someone to take up the mantle of a Herald. He answered it with RAFO. Guess with Jez dead, we may get a new Herald. Else we will have to wait until Ash or Taln's books for getting to know the process behind becoming a Herald.

Also, I don't think that a person holding all the 16 shards would become Adonalsium. Think I had asked Sanderson about this also on reddit and the reply he gave was to the effect that there is something more going on regarding the shattering. Can't exactly remember what the reply was.

Revan

Assumptionman
I enjoyed Oathbringer.

Wasn't expecting Odium to make such an appearance so early. I was thinking that he would appear somewhere closer to book 5.

The epilogue of WOR had Hoid admitting to Jasnah that after her conversations with the High Spren in Shadesmar, there may be something which she knows that even he doesn't know. Would have liked some more info on that. Loved Kaladin's arc. That was really well done. Think there is more tragic events in store for Kaladin in the future.

Also, didn't like how nothing much has come out of Adolin's confession of killing Sadeas. Probably future conflict between Dalinar and Szeth. Szeth hasn't bonded any spren yet, right?

Really interested in knowing how the Oath Pact works now with Jezerien getting killed. Last year I had asked Sanderson on reddit regarding how a person becomes a Herald and is there any way for someone to take up the mantle of a Herald. He answered it with RAFO. Guess with Jez dead, we may get a new Herald. Else we will have to wait until Ash or Taln's books for getting to know the process behind becoming a Herald.

Also, I don't think that a person holding all the 16 shards would become Adonalsium. Think I had asked Sanderson about this also on reddit and the reply he gave was to the effect that there is something more going on regarding the shattering. Can't exactly remember what the reply was.
Sanderson replies most of interesting questions with RAFO.

About Adonalsium, I thought it too, but I think that there might be a way of joining the shards into Adonalsium, but not by someone holding them. Adonalsium is essentially the monotheist God (and Sanderson is quite religious), so it won't make sense for some person to become God. However, him being rejoined like a Force of Universe, as an abstract personal God is an another matter.

Does anyone know if the second part of Stormlight will be around the same characters, or there will be a new set of characters?

harshad

Scout
Sanderson replies most of interesting questions with RAFO.

About Adonalsium, I thought it too, but I think that there might be a way of joining the shards into Adonalsium, but not by someone holding them. Adonalsium is essentially the monotheist God (and Sanderson is quite religious), so it won't make sense for some person to become God. However, him being rejoined like a Force of Universe, as an abstract personal God is an another matter.

Does anyone know if the second part of Stormlight will be around the same characters, or there will be a new set of characters?
I'll try and find his exact reply to me. Regarding the flashback characters for the second set of SA books
currently the flash back characters are Lift, Renarin, Ash, Taln and Jasnah. But order is not fixed and probably the character also may be changed

harshad

Scout
These were the questions I asked him:

1) Do all the original Shard holders come from the same planet? Were there world hoppers prior to the shattering?

2) Leras mentioned something like Cephandrius had the choice/chance to take up a shard but declined. So was the shattering an event that was predicted to happen so that people like Leras, Ati, Rayse, etc to be present at that time to pick up the shards after the shattering.

3) Would I be right in thinking that if someone were to be able to collect all the shards, would that person become something similar to whatever Adolansium was?

4) Is Cephandrius the real name of the character who goes by different names on different planets?

1) RAFO (sorry.)
2) There's more to it than that, but some of what you say is close.
3) Not necessarily. The Dor as an example is illustrative.
4) No, but it's one of his earliest aliases.

Revan

Assumptionman
These were the questions I asked him:

1) Do all the original Shard holders come from the same planet? Were there world hoppers prior to the shattering?

2) Leras mentioned something like Cephandrius had the choice/chance to take up a shard but declined. So was the shattering an event that was predicted to happen so that people like Leras, Ati, Rayse, etc to be present at that time to pick up the shards after the shattering.

3) Would I be right in thinking that if someone were to be able to collect all the shards, would that person become something similar to whatever Adolansium was?

4) Is Cephandrius the real name of the character who goes by different names on different planets?

1) RAFO (sorry.)
2) There's more to it than that, but some of what you say is close.
3) Not necessarily. The Dor as an example is illustrative.
4) No, but it's one of his earliest aliases.
Thanks for this.

Isn't Cephandrius' real name Midius? I don't really get the answer for the third questions. The Dor is more like the force of the two Sel shards, but it isn't held by anyone.

Btw, have you read Cosmere unpublished books and do you post in the 17th shard?

harshad

Scout
Thanks for this.

Isn't Cephandrius' real name Midius? I don't really get the answer for the third questions. The Dor is more like the force of the two Sel shards, but it isn't held by anyone.

Btw, have you read Cosmere unpublished books and do you post in the 17th shard?
Is that the name in the Liar of Partinel. I had read the first 4-5 chapters or something as it was available on his website after he replied.

Even I didn't properly understand his answer to the 3rd question and I asked him a followup but that was not replied. I try and read the 17th Shard but dont post much. Don't think I have even registered there yet. From his unpublished work I think I have only read the Liar of Partinel. How many other unpublished works are there?

Revan

Assumptionman
Is that the name in the Liar of Partinel. I had read the first 4-5 chapters or something as it was available on his website after he replied.

Even I didn't properly understand his answer to the 3rd question and I asked him a followup but that was not replied. I try and read the 17th Shard but dont post much. Don't think I have even registered there yet. From his unpublished work I think I have only read the Liar of Partinel. How many other unpublished works are there?
Yep, that is his name. Considering that it isn't canon, Brandon might change that of course.

I think there is an original version of Way of Kings, and if I am not mistaken, the first part of Dragonsteel. Haven't read anything unpublished though, bar posts in the 17th shard.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton and Blindsight by Peter Watts were my last reads.

Different in scope and tone, but with one similar thing, aliens that really feel alien.

Hamilton made an epic space opera, with lovely ideas and fantastic world building, but some characters felt flat, and with way too many pages dedicated to them. It's almost 2,000 pages long, and one might really think the story could've been told in much fewer words.

Still, quite exciting when it gets going, fascinating future world, and still some mystery in the universe. Plus, a horrific alien invasion!

Watts' novel however was much more intimate and cerebral, with only half a dozen characters for the most part, but their *alien* is really alien. I really liked that.

Both are quite recommended.

Revan

Assumptionman
Commonwealth Saga is going to be my next sci-fi I am going to read.

At the moment reading Furies of Calderon (first book in Codex Alera). If these are good, I will be with them for the rest of the year and probably January.