Books Fantasy Reads

DMacgraw

While I enjoy this book a lot I can tell that Simmons' taste are quite different from my own. His (imo) over-emphasis on poetry and poets is not appealing to me.
My sentiments exactly. I really have no feeling for poetry, so I just skip the poems.

Revan

Assumptionman
I am still slogging through it. For those who have not yet read the book, it is structured somewhat in the style of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales or Boccaccio's Decameron, where a group of pilgrims/travelers each tells the group the story of why he/she is undertaking the journey. I am currently on the fifth of seven/eight stories.
I thought the priest's story intriguing, though I was really bored by the long travelogue that preceded it, and I wasn't impressed by the religious treatise following it;
I really enjoyed the soldier's story, and look forward to finding out the mystery of Mystery;
I was deeply bored by the poet's story and in the end I just kept skipping past his philosophizing bullshit;
I found the scholar's story deeply moving, and I note that two movies in recent years have dealt with the issues raised in the story: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) and 50 First Dates (2004), Both movies illustrated the respective problems very clearly. I'm very keen to find out what kind of resolution is offered to that situation; and
I am enjoying the detective's story so far.
The scholar's story is magnificent, one of the best things I have ever read. Even if the other stories sucked (they don't, most of them are great), it would have still been a very good book based on that story alone.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
@harshad @DMacgraw Scrounged Iron Druid #9 is out. Grand Finale of the series!

I plan to start reading tonight after work. Can't wait.
Got it yesterday. Apparently a short story collection titled Besieged was released late last year and is kind of recommended reading before Scourged.

Double unfortunately, I started reading Endymion and am about a third of the way in. In two minds whether to finish it before taking up the Iron Druid books or come back to it after reading the Iron Druid books

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Missed this but Patrick Rothfuss actually said something last month - better not post the story but any Google News search of his name will give you the first 2 entries with it.

Don't get too excited though this could still be 20 years off.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Missed this but Patrick Rothfuss actually said something last month - better not post the story but any Google News search of his name will give you the first 2 entries with it.

Don't get too excited though this could still be 20 years off.
The prologue thingy?

Even the first two books were mostly history with only few pages dedicated to current events. Come to think of it, is there even a current story? We had some scrael and some possession...but nothing apart from that happening now. Maybe it'll have a cliffhanger ending with another current trilogy to follow.

The Cat

The prologue thingy?

Even the first two books were mostly history with only few pages dedicated to current events. Come to think of it, is there even a current story? We had some scrael and some possession...but nothing apart from that happening now. Maybe it'll have a cliffhanger ending with another current trilogy to follow.
Yeah it would seem (if he ever writes more books) that this trilogy is a prologue to how he's going to come back to his old self (as Bast keeps prodding him to help) and sort out the world's current mess.

I am 75% through the second one again - I am just making myself suffer.

caid

The prologue thingy?

I think Chronicler is one of the Chandrian and they've been in 'battle' for the past 2 days. Just telling his story is effectively summoning them anyway so they'll be showing up soon you'd expect.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah it would seem (if he ever writes more books) that this trilogy is a prologue to how he's going to come back to his old self (as Bast keeps prodding him to help) and sort out the world's current mess.

I am 75% through the second one again - I am just making myself suffer.
I think this was clear from the books and there were whispers about that since the first book started. Obviously, the third book will finish when Kvothe becomes Kote.

With Rothfuss' brainblock though, we will be lucky to ever have a third book.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
@DMacgraw Just finished Worm which was very good. Do you know if McCrae's other works are of a similar standard?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
@Revan have you read the Three-Body Problem? My brother just finished it and gave this a rave review. Says it's like peak Asimov of old times.

I can only start this after Iron Druid.

I know its partially recency bias but that's the best trilogy I have ever read. Of any genre. The three individual books are all superb as standalone novels but the way the three books tie together is just GOAT tier writing. I would also say it compares favorably to any of the great literature writers - Cixin Liu is on Dostoevsky/Tolstoy level.

Revan

Assumptionman
@Revan have you read the Three-Body Problem? My brother just finished it and gave this a rave review. Says it's like peak Asimov of old times.

Nope. A friend of me recommended it though. It is just the first part of a published Trilogy, right? If so, we also need to check how rated are the sequels.

My next sci-fi (next saga I am going to read after finishing the Broken Earth) has to be the Commonwealth Saga. Have been postponing it forever.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Nope. A friend of me recommended it though. It is just the first part of a published Trilogy, right? If so, we also need to check how rated are the sequels.

My next sci-fi (next saga I am going to read after finishing the Broken Earth) has to be the Commonwealth Saga. Have been postponing it forever.
As I was telling Edgar the sequels are all amazing. I just finished Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion and if you liked those then I would bet money you also like Three Body Problem. I would say more but I don't want to over-recommend

I'd be happy to answer any non-spoiler questions as well.

I've read Commonwealth also and I really recommend Three Body first

Revan

Assumptionman
As I was telling Edgar the sequels are all amazing. I just finished Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion and if you liked those then I would bet money you also like Three Body Problem. I would say more but I don't want to over-recommend

I'd be happy to answer any non-spoiler questions as well.

I've read Commonwealth also and I really recommend Three Body first
Cool, thanks! I can postpone Commonwealth after all, have been doing so for the last two years.

I really need a good sci-fi after all these fantasy books I have been reading

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Cool, thanks! I can postpone Commonwealth after all, have been doing so for the last two years.

I really need a good sci-fi after all these fantasy books I have been reading
I really think you'll be pleased. Commonwealth is good but Three Body Problem is just one of those rare unique treats. I wish I could read it for the first time again!

DMacgraw

@harshad @DMacgraw Scrounged Iron Druid #9 is out. Grand Finale of the series!

I plan to start reading tonight after work. Can't wait.
Excellent! I'm going to get it, then I'll set the table by re-reading the entire series from the beginning, before tackling the finale. I really enjoyed this series, and hope that the last book does it great justice.

DMacgraw

@DMacgraw Just finished Worm which was very good. Do you know if McCrae's other works are of a similar standard?
I have read his following novel, Pact. While Pact also had non-stop action similar to Worm, I don't particularly enjoy the subject matter, horror and supernatural, so I didn't like Pact as much. A few of his followers (who I suspect are devotees of that genre) claim that Pact is even better than Worm, but the majority opinion seems to be the opposite.

I have not read the following novel, which is also finished, Twig. A significantly higher proportion of his followers claim Twig is even better than Worm, and I'm still looking to set aside the chunk of time needed to tackle it - I have so many other series on my reading list! I will definitely start Twig very soon.

Do you know that McCrae is currently serializing the sequel to Worm? If you don't mind reading his work in serial form on the web (I prefer to read it is as a completed novel), you can join the read online here https://www.parahumans.net/ and participate in the comments and discussions after each post.

DMacgraw

As harshad says there is a 8.5 novel collection that must be read before.
I already read that - I was calling it Iron Druid #9 earlier in this thread. It is a series of medium-length stories from the pov of Atticus, Granuaile and Owen. At least one of the stories present events following from Book 8, so yes it would be useful to read it before book 9.

DMacgraw

I know its partially recency bias but that's the best trilogy I have ever read. Of any genre. The three individual books are all superb as standalone novels but the way the three books tie together is just GOAT tier writing. I would also say it compares favorably to any of the great literature writers - Cixin Liu is on Dostoevsky/Tolstoy level.
Well, I don't know how much to rely on your tastes seeing as you prefer the Arsenal to United;);):D:D

The Cat

Well I didn't get this first time round reading a Wise Man's Fear.

If I understood this right then The Doors of Stone's purpose has already been revealed.

DMacgraw

I finished bk 1 of the Hyperion Cantos, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. My biggest impression is that it felt like reading a Malazan book. For those who have not read Malazan, the main reason most people find it incomprehensible is that Erikson takes reversal of Cause --> Effect to ridiculous extremes. He just shows you Effect, Effect, Effect,... and you have no idea what is going on and why (Cause) until much later in a book, or even a few books later. Well, it seems to me that Hyperion presented mostly 6 Effects (the stories of the pilgrims), and we have no inkling of how the effects described in the stories could have happened, or why. The book ends with the pilgrims linking arms and marching into the valley of the shadow of death (actually, the valley of the Time Bombs) singing kumbaya ('we're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz ...'). And that was it. I hope all the Causes are explained in bk 2, or I'll be really pissed.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I finished bk 1 of the Hyperion Cantos, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. My biggest impression is that it felt like reading a Malazan book. For those who have not read Malazan, the main reason most people find it incomprehensible is that Erikson takes reversal of Cause --> Effect to ridiculous extremes. He just shows you Effect, Effect, Effect,... and you have no idea what is going on and why (Cause) until much later in a book, or even a few books later. Well, it seems to me that Hyperion presented mostly 6 Effects (the stories of the pilgrims), and we have no inkling of how the effects described in the stories could have happened, or why. The book ends with the pilgrims linking arms and marching into the valley of the shadow of death (actually, the valley of the Time Bombs) singing kumbaya ('we're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz ...'). And that was it. I hope all the Causes are explained in bk 2, or I'll be really pissed.

I know how you feel. Just read the second book and it will make sense with the mysteries answered.

I feel like they are really just one big book that was split into two so the publishers could make more money

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I know how you feel. Just read the second book and it will make sense with the mysteries answered.

I feel like they are really just one big book that was split into two so the publishers could make more money
I finished both the Hyperion books. Yes, there are some questions answered, but even after reading the second book, I still feel like we need more questions answered.

I've started Malazan books. Normally I finish a book in a week, but with the Gardens of the Moon, I've only completed two chapters and it's already a week. It's just overwhelming me with random names that I know nothing about.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

That's high praise. I will pick this up after Malazan.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
That's high praise. I will pick this up after Malazan.
One thing I would mention is that Malazan is the first 4-5 books have a different set of main characters. the first half is a set-up for the final 5 books in many ways. When I started Malazan (right before book 8 was published) my friends said I could read the first 4 in any order really.

So, I would say you could pick up Three Body Problem and if you wanted a break from Malazan you could mix in Three Body in-between if you want to take a break.

caid

I finished both the Hyperion books. Yes, there are some questions answered, but even after reading the second book, I still feel like we need more questions answered.

I've started Malazan books. Normally I finish a book in a week, but with the Gardens of the Moon, I've only completed two chapters and it's already a week. It's just overwhelming me with random names that I know nothing about.
I'd say dont worry about it too much and try not to get bogged down. If by the end of a malazan book you dont know who a character is then they weren't important enough to warrant being remembered. You'll be reading dozens of chapters about some of them and it'll start to stick. Others will be introduced and die within the same chapter, so yeah, dont worry about them too much. Figuring out the vague loyalties of different characters is probably more important initially. Or just getting to grips with the whole magic, theology thing.
Theres basically 2 factions in the first book. The Malazans which are covered in the first few chapters and start off all over the place but converge as the book goes on and Anomander Rake and Darujhistan which are covered later. The only real relevant locations are Pale, Darujhistan and a mountain range between them. If a character isn't in one of them 3 locations then dont worry about it, again, its not really important.

I'd agree with mixing it up with something else. Reading 10 Malazan books in a row really wouldn't be fun - and i liked them all.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Malazan is different. It drips you in a strange battle with no introduction. Don't try to understand. Just go with the flow and it'll be good.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Thanks. My brother was equally vocal in his support as you. We have similar tastes and both grew grew up on Asimov.

Just downloaded this and about to start...

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Scrounged - Iron Druid finale.

Don't open if you haven't read it. Really, no sneak peeks.

Well, mixed emotions. The book felt hurried and action jumps across randomly. The author wanted to give limelight to everyone and in process, dilutes everything. All characters feel different and not the unique versions we loved in previous books.

It's like author had a 'ideal' climax and twists the story way too much to get to it in a short time. Owen's portions we're wasted and useless in big picture. Granuiles parts were also useless and forced to get to the climax. All the big villains de super quick and Ragnarok is a massive let down.

The climax is perfect in bittersweetness but really feels rushed. You read through it and feel, "yeah that makes sense..... But it doesn't feel right".

Anyway he tied all ends to a reasonable ending...but hey with Atticus, reasonable ain't gonna cut it.

Could have been a lot more!

6/10

The Bloody-Nine

I read that it's almost like a bunch of short stories from the perspective of characters in the same world, who eventually come together.

Accurate?

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I read that it's almost like a bunch of short stories from the perspective of characters in the same world, who eventually come together.

Accurate?
A group of people unknown to each other are travelling together. During their travel each person tells his/her story about how and what motivated them to undertake the journey.

Someone else can probably put it in a better way. I don't really have a way with words.