Fantasy Tournament: World Cup All-Time All-Stars

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
No harm in playing Puskas up front if need be.
Of course not. I'm just inviting Pol to rush on picking that guy I know he is thinking about, or else I may pick him as a sub.

His pick didn't change my mind - I'm still debating with pippa. Just thought of a player I'd rather have had.
There has been far too much commenting on the player. Get on with it. If you are so keen on the other guy then pick him next.

Polaroid

His pick didn't change my mind - I'm still debating with pippa. Just thought of a player I'd rather have had.
I am sorry Rpitroda, I understand you did not change your mind because of crappy. But once the floodgates are open for the rest, some changed picks might be perceived to have been influenced by comments. Although I do not know what happened in what Anto termed "Brwnedgate", I do not want unhappy episodes to erupt here.

Hopefully you can get the man you want in your next pick. Nevertheless, Nasazzi is a good pick, I wouldn't mind having him in my team tbh.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Getting worried about right back but can't turn down this legend

Moby

Dick

Pol 1. Maradona 2. P. Maldini 3. Breitner 4. Zizinho 5. Boniek
Cal 1. Pelé 2. Sándor Kocsis 3. Gérson 4. Blanc 5. Overath
Aldo 1. Garrincha 2. Romário 3. Scirea 4. Gentile 5. Kempes 6. Ballack
Theon 1. Beckenbauer 2. Zico 3. Baggio 4. Kohler 5. R. Carlos 6. Socrates
Rpitroda 1. Zidane 2. Masopust 3. Varela 4. Desailly 5. Batistuta 6. Nasazzi
Paceme 1. Platini 2. Rijkaard 3. Djalma Santos 4. Thuram 5. Tigana 6. Ademir
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo 2. Cannavaro 3. Rivaldo 4. Brehme 5. Vieira 6. Coluna
Desert 1.Moore 2. Meazza 3. Passarella 4. Busquets 5. Makélélé 6.Pirlo
Annah 1. Didi 2. Iniesta 3. Ronaldinho 4. Stoichkov 5. Leonidas 6. Lahm
Crappy/Pippa 1. Fontaine 2. Krol 3. Kopa 4. Vogts 5. Dunga 6. Ruggeri
Fergus 1. Matthäus 2. Falcao 3. Rivelino 4. Nilson Santos 5. Karlheinz Förster 6. Chumpitaz
Balu/NM 1. Cruyff 2. Jairzinho 3. Carlos Alberto 4. Davids 5. Silvio Marzolini 6. Frank de Boer
Anto 1. Puskas 2. Neeskens 3. Bozsik 4. Czibor 5. Ghiggia 6. Junior
Gio. 1. Eusebio 2. Figueroa 3. Laudrup 4. Xavi 5. Keane 6. Da Guia
Cutch 1. Müller 2. Facchetti 3. Cafu 4. Santamaría 5. Cubillas 6. Bergomi
TITO 1. Charlton 2. Baresi 3. Zanetti 4. Schnellinger 5. Tardelli 6. Paolo Rossi

Cal?

CR7 fan
No, I pick Cristiano Ronaldo ;)

Would someone be kind enough to update the list? I'm on phone.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Cal 1. Pelé 2. Sándor Kocsis 3. Gérson 4. Blanc 5. Overath 6. C.Ronaldo
Fergus 1. Matthäus 2. Falcao 3. Rivelino 4. Nilson Santos 5. Karlheinz Förster 6. Chumpitaz
Balu/NM 1. Cruyff 2. Jairzinho 3. Carlos Alberto 4. Davids 5. Silvio Marzolini 6. Frank de Boer
TITO 1. Charlton 2. Baresi 3. Zanetti 4. Schnellinger 5. Tardelli 6. Paolo Rossi

Moby

Dick
Cal 1. Pelé 2. Sándor Kocsis 3. Gérson 4. Blanc 5. Overath 6. Cristiano Ronaldo

antohan

Calm down. I was only asking. Should cut back on drugs.
:confused:

Although I do not know what happened in what Anto termed "Brwnedgate", I do not want unhappy episodes to erupt here.
Someone picked a player and was allowed to backtrack, so later Brwned assumed he too had a right to backtrack, except he had picked a controversial player, gathered opinions, and decided he was better off changing him. He went on to delete any and all discussion that had followed, including those complaining about the entire thing and the censoring. I had an issue, not as much with the pick and backtrack but the Stalinist brand of censorship (personal issue having lived through a military dictatorship). It was fecking bizarre and created some bad vibes for the remainder of the draft.

antohan

Still some cracking players going in Coluna and Ballack. I wouldn't say anyone has such a distinct advantage from starting first or last. Sure, it's great to have Maradona, but many a manager would screw up from that start. It's just a shame it is Pol + Maradona.

crappycraperson

Scout
Ballack is generally underrated here but fits well in my plans. I've always maintained that he deserved the Ballon D'or in 2002.
Hmmm. I do agree that Ballack is underrated on caf(he is partly himself to blame since he wasted a good part of his career at Chelsea who played him out of position most of the time). I am not sure what to make of his 2002 performance though, I think he was great but the quality of opposition was not. World world cup ever

Moby

Dick
Hmmm. I do agree that Ballack is underrated on caf(he is partly himself to blame since he wasted a good part of his career at Chelsea who played him out of position most of the time). I am not sure what to make of his 2002 performance though, I think he was great but the quality of opposition was not. World world cup ever
He was also great in 06. :p

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Good call Aldo. Ballack invariably gets under-rated in these drafts because of his slightly post-peak performances in England and with Chelsea, but there's no doubt he was one of the very best in the world around 2002 and during that World Cup.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Tbf, the team he played in should easily win the worst German team ever award, proven by our performances at the Euro before and after that worldcup. Ballack carried that team through the knockout stages to a worldcup final with individual class and then sadly wasn't allowed to play that final.

Also that:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Good call Aldo. Ballack invariably gets under-rated in these drafts because of his slightly post-peak performances in England and with Chelsea, but there's no doubt he was one of the very best in the world around 2002 and during that World Cup.
Most Chelsea-related things get underrated in these drafts.

crappycraperson

Scout
Tbf, the team he played in should easily win the worst German team ever award, proven by our performances at the Euro before and after that worldcup. Ballack carried that team through the knockout stages to a worldcup final with individual class and then sadly wasn't allowed to play that final.

Also that:

Edited------

antohan

Agreed, same with 06, he was a big game player and always performed at his very best for Germany.

Annahnomoss

He had 4 assists and also had 3 goals, only Ronaldo was more productive than him. I didn't pick him because he is so underrated here and you will be judged by the Chelsea player. He should be one of the top picks otherwise because almost no midfielder has had such a world-cup.

I think the main problem is that he played as an attacking midfielder not a CM and that is probably the spot which has the most competition. First because many teams will play completely without one and second because it has so many amazing talents.

Moby

Dick
Indeed I'm hoping that this being a World Cup draft he gets more credit than usual. Not a WC winner and with those performances so it was a nobrainer at this stage.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He had 4 assists and also had 3 goals, only Ronaldo was more productive than him. I didn't pick him because he is so underrated here and you will be judged by the Chelsea player. He should be one of the top picks otherwise because almost no midfielder has had such a world-cup.

I think the main problem is that he played as an attacking midfielder not a CM and that is probably the spot which has the most competition. First because many teams will play completely without one and second because it has so many amazing talents.
In 06? I'd say he already became a box 2 box midfield kindish player at that point. In 02 he was still an AM.

Annahnomoss

In 06? I'd say he already became a box 2 box midfield kindish player at that point. In 02 he was still an AM.

02 is easily his prime. He had higher average rating than Ronaldo, it is just that history remembers winners/goal-scorers. Ronaldinho also had a higher average rating than Ronaldo.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Don't think there's much between 02 and 06 with Ballack. 02 was his famous 4 times runner-up year, but he still developed as a player and only after the world cup made the step to a top club. In 06 he was much more mature and excelled in the postition that was best suited to his ability, imo.

Annahnomoss

Which ratings, Annah ? Castrol gave Ronaldo 9.87 and Ballack got 9.77
Ratings on planetworldcup:
*These are not my own opinion.
BEST PLAYER RATING POINTS
#6th Ronaldinho Gaucho BRA 5 6,80#10 Rivaldo BRA 7 6,71#36 Michael Ballack GER 6 6,42#70~ Ronaldo BRA 7 6,21

The official awards usually focus on decisive moments. If a striker is generally shit all game but then scores the winning goal two-three matches then he will get the golden ball and be legendary. So will be interesting during the match-threads to see how people argue. There are a bunch of team of the tournament players who have been rather weak in their play but have just made the team win in important moments. Which of course doesn't take away how slow/Sluggish/poor passing this player displayed throughout the other 89 minutes of the match and so on.

Can a defender handle Maradona because he was named in team of the tournament for 3 upset goals - if he was otherwise shaky defensively.

Annahnomoss

Don't think there's much between 02 and 06 with Ballack. 02 was his famous 4 times runner-up year, but he still developed as a player and only after the world cup made the step to a top club. In 06 he was much more mature and excelled in the postition that was best suited to his ability, imo.

I agree, he was better as a player in 06. He just had an absolutely amazing 02 tournament where he played way way above his actual level. He had the same assists/goals-total as Rivaldo and just one les than Ronaldo.