Fantasy Tournament: World Cup All-Time All-Stars

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Yeah, I haven't looked into this at all but I would've thought the non winners wouldn't be too hard to gather.

Annahnomoss

Really? I'm not too fussed with that at all. What is doing my head in is the continental stuff. Easy enough in principle, but it's a very fine balance. For every position you know who your top 5-6 targets are but always different continents so if you keep finding the "wrong" continent available you would end up tied up in knots.

I already have a rough draft plan and am chomping at the bit.

Will there be a combined draft after every game? Like all losing teams players in a pool and you get to draft?

Polaroid

Really? I'm not too fussed with that at all. What is doing my head in is the continental stuff. Easy enough in principle, but it's a very fine balance. For every position you know who your top 5-6 targets are but always different continents so if you keep finding the "wrong" continent available you would end up tied up in knots.

I already have a rough draft plan and am chomping at the bit.
Now you see the merit of it! :lol:

Annahnomoss

yes, common pool

Great mate, I played in the newbies and you just got to pick from the team you beat. So if you were unlucky and picked the same first picks you had a hard time in the next round. Was terrible.

Polaroid

Great mate, I played in the newbies and you just got to pick from the team you beat. So if you were unlucky and picked the same first picks you had a hard time in the next round. Was terrible.
Agree, that was why I came up with the common pool idea - first introduced in the United Legends draft if I did not recall wrongly

Annahnomoss

Agree, that was why I came up with the common pool idea - first introduced in the United Legends draft if I did not recall wrongly

Nice to see the rules move forward instead of stay ancient, cred on all the work.

I tried to change rules etc in the newbies, trade after the first draft etc but people preferred same old instead.

Polaroid

Not sure if its been covered but after the first round does the next picks start from the bottom?
yes that's right
Total 4 drafts - each time the order is reversed from the previous

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Now you see the merit of it! :lol:
I know! There I was thinking "about half the World Cup winners, great teams and players are from either CONMEBOL or UEFA so 50-50 shouldn't be a challenge". It isn't per se, but I can see some picks being forced/influenced by that, which is the entire point!

NM

When does this start? Anybody want to assist? Please quote in response.. I may have to give up my place depending on start date and lack of assistant.

antohan

It has already started NM. Balu was up for playing. Aldo mentioned you may hardly be around over the next few weeks, why not let him manage and you assist?

NM

It has already started NM. Balu was up for playing. Aldo mentioned you may hardly be around over the next few weeks, why not let him manage and you assist?
sounds perfect if he is ok with it.. doubt I'll be around as much.

Moby

Dick

Pol 1. Maradona
Cal 1. Pele
Aldo 1. Garrincha
Theon
Ripitroda
Paceme
Jayvin
Desert
Annah
Crappy (asst Pippa)
Fergus
NM / Balu
Anto
Gio
Cutch
TITO

antohan

Theon left me his pick: El Kaiser

Pol 1. Maradona
Cal 1. Pele
Aldo 1. Garrincha
Theon 1. Beckenbauer
Ripitroda
Paceme
Jayvin
Desert
Annah
Crappy (asst Pippa)
Fergus
NM / Balu
Anto
Gio
Cutch
TITO

NM

Theon left me his pick: El Kaiser

Pol 1. Maradona
Cal 1. Pele
Aldo 1. Garrincha
Theon 1. Beckenbauer
Ripitroda
Paceme
Jayvin
Desert
Annah
Crappy (asst Pippa)
Fergus
Balu
Anto
Gio
Cutch
TITO
fixed with Balu instead of me..
I'm out. I'll PM him later and see if he wants an AM. I'm mostly offline for 2 more weeks

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
fixed with Balu instead of me..
I'm out. I'll PM him later and see if he wants an AM. I'm mostly offline for 2 more weeks
I'd be happy if you have a little bit of time to talk players through and give your opinion on the team, so yeah looking forward to your PM.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Pol 1. Maradona
Cal 1. Pele
Aldo 1. Garrincha
Theon 1. Beckenbauer
Rpitroda 1. Zidane
Paceme
Jayvin
Desert
Annah
Crappy (asst Pippa)
Fergus
NM / Balu
Anto
Gio
Cutch
TITO

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pol 1. Maradona
Cal 1. Pele
Aldo 1. Garrincha
Theon 1. Beckenbauer
Rpitroda 1. Zidane
Paceme 1. Platini
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo
Desert
Annah
Crappy (asst Pippa)
Fergus
NM / Balu
Anto
Gio
Cutch
TITO

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bobby Moore. posting from my phone at work so could someone kindly message annah for me

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Pol 1. Maradona
Cal 1. Pele
Aldo 1. Garrincha
Theon 1. Beckenbauer
Rpitroda 1. Zidane
Paceme 1. Platini
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo
Desert 1.Moore
Annah
Crappy (asst Pippa)
Fergus
NM / Balu
Anto
Gio
Cutch
TITO

RoadTrip

Quick question -

So, when we are judging players, we are picking them based solely on their contribution to world cups? Or, are we picking them on their overall peak ability during the world cup (i.e. non-world cup performances also have an influence?)

Just wondering because, for example Messi and Ronaldo were obviously class players during the recent world cups, but their actual contribution in the world cups themselves weren't so brilliant.

If we are going with the former (world cup influence only), its going to be hard to ensure voters are solely considering that when they vote.

antohan

It's WC specific rpitroda and yes, we know voters are morons. :wenger:

Theon will be sure to chip in with a theory whereby even if someone didn't do well at the World Cup, considering their ability to win a game in any one day they would still be better than someone who performed but was less talented. That's precisely NOT the point, ignore it. (lolzy)

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
But we're still judging players on their prime, right? So one standout tournament and nothing else is better than 4 decent tournaments that make the overall contribution look pretty impressive?

RoadTrip

Theon will be sure to chip in with a theory whereby even if someone didn't do well at the World Cup, considering their ability to win a game in any one day they would still be better than someone who performed but was less talented. That's precisely NOT the point, ignore it. (lolzy)
I like that idea =P.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

:rolleyes:

antohan

But we're still judging players on their prime, right? So one standout tournament and nothing else is better than 4 decent tournaments that make the overall contribution look pretty impressive?
My take is their best World Cup performance is the basis, whether it be one standout alone or one with two decent/average ones. Whether people can isolate that is a different matter.

The positioning is important though IMO, e.g. you can't claim someone's top performance in midfield and then play them in defence and expect them to be rated all the same.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm completely confused, who to pick btw. I thought this draft would be a great choice for my first ever fantasy draft game, but right now, I wish I'd be an assistant so that I don't have to decide myself.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I'm completely confused, who to pick btw. I thought this draft would be a great choice for my first ever fantasy draft game, but right now, I wish I'd be an assistant so that I don't have to decide myself.
Same! Pippa from newbie is a great help. But I am fecked right now. My turn is after Anna as well

Annahnomoss

Pol 1. Maradona
Cal 1. Pele
Aldo 1. Garrincha
Theon 1. Beckenbauer
Rpitroda 1. Zidane
Paceme 1. Platini
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo
Desert 1.Moore
Annah 1. Didi
Crappy (asst Pippa)
Fergus