Fantasy Tournament: World Cup All-Time All-Stars

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Didi is a brilliant pick, imo, I already had a complete team build around him in my plans :(. Thought it's very likely I'd get him.

Annahnomoss

Is it only the actual world cup or the qualification as well? Just to have it said.

Annahnomoss

Didi is a brilliant pick, imo, I already had a complete team build around him in my plans :(. Thought it's very likely I'd get him.

Thanks mate! I had done the same with Platini/Didi so I feel quite lucky. He is the last midfielder before a serious drop in quality in my eyes. BB, Platini and Didi seem to be a bit outstanding in this draft as Di Stefano isn't available.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I pick Just Fontaine

13 goals and 4 assists in a single world cup. Will it ever be bettered?

crappycraperson

Scout
Pol 1. Maradona
Cal 1. Pele
Aldo 1. Garrincha
Theon 1. Beckenbauer
Rpitroda 1. Zidane
Paceme 1. Platini
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo
Desert 1.Moore
Annah 1. Didi
Crappy/Pippa 1. Fontaine
Fergus
NM / Balu
Anto
Gio
Cutch
TITO

Annahnomoss

I need to reassess my expectations. I genuinely thought didi would last till me.

Wonderful pick.

These drafts can be a pain in the ass if you have any sorts of expectations. I remember being in the 10th round and I came up with a player that should have been in the first 3 rounds and just before me he got picked. :lol: Had gone like hundred+ players by then.

Moby

Dick
These drafts can be a pain in the ass if you have any sorts of expectations. I remember being in the 10th round and I came up with a player that should have been in the first 3 rounds and just before me he got picked. :lol: Had gone like hundred+ players by then.
True but didi isn't really that popular so I thought he would last.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
True but didi isn't really that popular so I thought he would last.
I also thought I'd get him with my second pick :lol:. I actually checked the last alltime draft when he was picked and how people responded to it, so I thought, I'd be fine.

Annahnomoss

I also thought I'd get him with my second pick :lol:. I actually checked the last alltime draft when he was picked and how people responded to it.

How did they respond to him? If you got Didi as your second pick I would quit the game haha, that would have been incredible.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Absolutely shocked someone hasn't been picked yet, staggered.

I have no doubt Fergus will nab him though next turn

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Not as much as others. In the last all time draft he went at the end of round 2.
It makes sense that he's higher rated in this draft though. After all most know him for his world cup contribution and lots of the players picked before him in the alltime draft are seen as brilliant because of their club career. Also the one player/country rule might have hurt him a bit back then.

Annahnomoss

Not as much as others. In the last all time draft he went at the end of round 2.

Yeah I saw it now. That doesn't surprise me a lot, I usually just pick who I consider the best and in that regards he is top 3 in the central midfield with BB/Platini. Considering those two will probably play as a libero/defender and Platini as an AM, then I think Didi may even be number 1.

I have tried sucking up to the public before but I am terrible at it. So I will just do my own thing based on their skill and have a blast.

Annahnomoss

It makes sense that he's higher rated in this draft though. After all most know him for his world cup contribution and lots of the players picked before him in the alltime draft are seen as brilliant because of their club career. Also the one player/country rule might have hurt him a bit back then.

Thank you mate, I agree even if I think your original point mixed with this is the most correct. That he is not as highly remembered as he is "ranked quality wise". But still in this draft he was bound to be picked earlier.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Yeah I saw it now. That doesn't surprise me a lot, I usually just pick who I consider the best and in that regards he is top 3 in the central midfield with BB/Platini. Considering those two will probably play as a libero/defender and Platini as an AM, then I think Didi may even be number 1.

I have tried sucking up to the public before but I am terrible at it. So I will just do my own thing based on their skill and have a blast.

Didi is one of the best central midfielders to have played the game, there is no question about that.

Moby

Dick
Yeah. He got the golden ball so makes sense that he went early. Although as far as I know awards for old world cups were given in retrospect.

I'm just sad. :-(

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah. He got the golden ball so makes sense that he went early. Although as far as I know awards for old world cups were given in retrospect.

I'm just sad. :-(
Get over it, you really had no chance to pick him ;).

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Ffs, I really don't want to pick him, because I think it's difficult to build a team around him, but whatever, let's see how it goes:

I pick Johan Cruyff.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Pol 1. Maradona
Cal 1. Pele
Aldo 1. Garrincha
Theon 1. Beckenbauer
Rpitroda 1. Zidane
Paceme 1. Platini
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo
Desert 1.Moore
Annah 1. Didi
Crappy/Pippa 1. Fontaine
Fergus 1. Matthäus
Balu/NM 1. Cruyff
Anto
Gio
Cutch
TITO

Annahnomoss

Ffs, I really don't want to pick him, because I think it's difficult to build a team around him, but whatever, let's see how it goes:

I pick Johan Cruyff.

My hate pick as well. It is incredibly hard to find the team for him but the sky is the limit. Third best player in history after all. This late he is an absolute steal though considering it is your turn again soon.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
There he goes. Absolute steal.
Okay, for a moment you had me confused, because you posted after my pick and I couldn't wrap my head around that there's an even better pick still available :lol:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I did consider it but when I picked him last time it didn't go so well.
I'd have Platini ahead of Cruyff as well, so much easier to build a team around. But at this point, Cruyff clearly was the one to pick.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I actually considered Cruyff as the 2nd pick, especially as a non-WC winner, surprised he lasted that long.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Okay, just to clarify. Do I have to play him in exact the same position and formation, he played in at the worldcup 74? Does using him as a more usual AM mean I loose some of your votes? I'm not sure yet, what to do next and I don't mind if someone thinks it's necessary to rebuild that Netherlands team to get the best out of him and that's why they didn't pick him. I just like to know, what you guys think, before my next pick.

crappycraperson

Scout
Okay, just to clarify. Do I have to play him in exact the same position and formation, he played in at the worldcup 74? Does using him as a more usual AM mean I loose some of your votes? I'm not sure yet, what to do next and I don't mind if someone thinks it's necessary to rebuild that Netherlands team to get the best out of him and that's why they didn't pick him. I just like to know, what you guys think, before my next pick.

That's what pippa told me, some would want you to play as him he did in 74 for his performance from then to count. Also from what I saw in the last draft, Cryuff did not get as much respect as others.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah, thought so too, well, that should be fun.

Annahnomoss

Personally I can't see why you can't play him as an AM just for that reason. He had all the skills available for it and it shouldn't matter if he was played as a striker in the WC. Take Di Stefano(not eligible so I can name) for example, you shouldn't be forced to play him in one position as he was capable of many more and often drifted around the pitch anyhow.

Cruyff would be the same thing, even if he played as a striker he would find himself in several positions during the WC's.