Fantasy Tournament: World Cup All-Time All-Stars

Thisistheone

I'd play Cerezo in the deeper role and swap Tardelli to be there alongside Gascoigne.

And Balu, yups, that's very much what I meant!
I would prefer it in a square, but if sticking with the diamond then I agree it should be Cerezo deeper. I think a square works better though.
I agree with Theon - 4-2-2-2 is a better fit
Cerezo seems to be incredibly under-rated in Redcafe though
Thanks for the feedback, I did consider a magic square, pretty much from the beginning of the draft but then had some last minute doubts as to it being an unfamiliar formation.

This is how the 4222 would look

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
PLAYER PROFILES

ANTONIO ROMA
Roma is the only keeper to have kept a clean sheet against West Germany in 11 World Cup games between 1962 and 1974. A Boca legend who excelled in Argentina's watertight back-line in 1966.

JORGINHO
Yet another in a long line of world-class Brazilian right-backs. Flawless defending in 1990 and 1994 whose dynamism, tidyness on the ball and pinpoint crossing ability made him a productive attacking outlet in an otherwise narrow formation.

HANS PETER BRIEGEL
Man-mountain full-back who was, in many people's eyes, the standout in a strong era of left-backs. A fantastic physical specimen who could long jump 7m 50 and could well have pursued a career on the track as a decathlete. Athletics' loss was football's gain as Briegel proved a pivotal presence in West Germany's runs to the final in 1982 and 1986.

ELIAS FIGUEROA
Arguably the greatest defender of all time and certainly the greatest South American. Authoritative, imperious in the air, imposing on the deck, Figueroa was the complete defender who had no chinks in his armour. Check out this cigar-out, man-of-the-match performance against West Germany in 1974.

DOMINGOS DA GUIA
The 'divine master' is the undisputed choice as Brazil's greatest ever defender. Named in the 1938 team of the tournament, Da Guia was an impeccable man-marker who "developed the art of bringing the ball out of defence." Will form a bulletproof central defensive partnership with Figueroa.

ROY KEANE
Furiously energetic in the heat of the American summer, Keane brought defensive robustness to the midfield with his unmatched ability to win the many small battles that add up to control of the game. A modern, ball-retaining midfielder who will dovetail well with Xavi.
FIFA 1994 Technical Report said:
"Keane was very alert and aware in his midfield and won possession for his team many times, helping to spur them on again and again."
XAVI
Quite possibly the best and busiest ball-retaining midfielder in the history of the game. Certainly the standout midfielder in the world from 2007-2011: consistently dominating the strongest midfields Spanish, European and World football had to offer. In 2010, he created more chances and played more passes than any other player at the World Cup in its analytical history. Ran the show in the tournament's biggest game - the semi-final against Germany - outclassing a more than respectable German midfield. The hub of Spain's triple-tournament-winning 2008-2012 team.

MARIO ZAGALLO
Manager on the pitch who won two consecutive World Cups as the left hand side of Brazil's legendary '58 and '62 midfield. Intelligent and technically gifted, Zagallo kept some top-end talent in Canhoteiro and Pepe out of the first XI. Tim Vickery on Zagallo.

MICHAEL LAUDRUP
Only Maradona left more defenders on their arses than Laudrup did in Mexico '86 when the Dane shone brightly in one of the most exciting European teams in any era. Brought attacking verve through his glued-to-the-ball dribbling and incisive, penetrating passing. At the grand age of 34 he was one of the stars of France '98, orchestrating affairs with his unrivalled vision and creativity.

GRZEGORZ LATO
10 goals and 7 assists is the phenomenal World Cup haul of Poland's finest ever player. Top scorer in 1974 with 7 goals - a total that was has only been matched once in the 10 post-1970 Cups. As impressive as his Golden Boot was, it was the winger's match-winning performances against no less than Argentina, Sweden, Yugoslavia and Brazil that pushed the Poles to within inches of the greatest prize of all. Electric pace likely to burn all but the very quickest left-backs, he was a hungry and instinctive goalscorer but combined it with astute use of the ball, rarely giving away possession.

EUSEBIO
The Portuguese powerhouse's performances in 1966 were perhaps the greatest of any centre-forward at any world cup. In a defensively dull tournament, he brought together pace, strength, technique and a ferocious shot to fire home 9 goals while laying on several more. His exploits were legendary:

Thisistheone

Roma was the keeper I wanted at the end Gio. Good to see this draft has 3 components of that solid Argentine 1966 defence. Roma, Perfumo & Marzolini.

Looks better
Do you think people will 'get it' though? As in, what each players role is.

Perhaps I should just compare it to Brazil '82 as much as possible, Tardelli as Falcao, Charlton as Zico, Gazza as Socrates but with a water-tight defence and better strikers :D

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Roma was the keeper I wanted at the end Gio. Good to see this draft has 3 components of that solid Argentine 1966 defence. Roma, Perfumo & Marzolini.
I was a bit wary of pre-1960s keepers given it's the one position which I feel has particularly improved during the last half-century. Roma ticked a few boxes but doing well in a defensive tournament like '66 was the most important one.

4-2-2-2 looks the best fit to me TITO, certainly the slickest way to include your four midfielders in there.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Do you think people will 'get it' though? As in, what each players role is.

Perhaps I should just compare it to Brazil '82 as much as possible, Tardelli as Falcao, Charlton as Zico, Gazza as Socrates but with a water-tight defence and better strikers :D
I think so, it isn't any stranger than the diamond at all and that has done well in these drafts. You should probably just briefly explain how it works and the roles of the players, should be fine because it looks great I think.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Are there any limitations for my tactics description for the game? Number of pictures, or length of the text or something like that? I've never done this before, so a quick answer would be appreciated :). I don't plan on posting a huge wall of text, but just to be sure.

And I guess we just send it to Pol in a PM shortly before the game, right?

Moby

Dick
Are there any limitations for my tactics description for the game? Number of pictures, or length of the text or something like that? I've never done this before, so a quick answer would be appreciated :). I don't plan on posting a huge wall of text, but just to be sure.

Usually we keep it a bit precise, as the OP needs to have the tactics of both teams plus the graphics. Not too short, but there is still a limit.

And yes, you have to PM Pol the tactics and graphic.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

Usually the tactics should be no longer than one PM, so whatever that limits you in terms of pictures and number of words etc. Anything that doesn't fit in that you can always post whenever you're game starts. Send the PM to Pol anytime before your start (night before probably best).

As a tip you're probably better keepin it short and sweet as much as possible, as many won't read masses of text. Maybe spoiler any secondary information or expanded tactics illustrations, for those that will read on.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Thanks. I plan on finishing my tactics today, so shouldn't be a problem to send them to Pol in time.

Polaroid

Roque Maspoli
1950 WC All-Star and Uruguayan national football icon whose stupendous heroics created the biggest upset in WC history.
Brian Gianville on Maspoli “That performance against Brazil could scarcely have been surpassed…In the early stages, Brazil's dazzling attack, composed of Zizinho, Ademir and Jair, overwhelmed Uruguay's defence. Maspoli made two great saves, and gradually Uruguay's attack came into the game, though in the last few minutes of the first half, it was Maspoli alone who prevented a Brazilian goal.”

George Cohen
1966 WC All-Star and a vital cog in Sir Alf Ramsey’s Wingless Wonders, Cohen’s marauding forward run was a prominent feature of England’s run to WC glory. Selected in England’s Greatest XI by the public, Cohen has the rare blend of defensive astuteness and attacking savviness that led George Best to describe him as the best fullback he had ever played against.

Paul Breitner
1974 WC All-Star who also shone brightly at WC 82, Breitner is one of the select few in WC history to truly excel at the highest level in both defense and midfield. Blessed with four lungs and thunder in his boots, Breitner covered every blade of grass, unleashing bone-crunching tackles alongside his trademark piledriver shots. Also renowned for having the toughest nerves of steel to withstand the most excruciating pressure and the big match temperament to step up to the biggest tests, he nailed the most pivotal penalty in German WC history and is one of only four men to score in 2 different WC finals.

Paulo Maldini
1990, 1994 WC All-Star and Italian maestro who perfected the art of defending. Excelling in every footballing aspect from his immaculate technique to his supreme athleticism and telepathic reading of the game, Paulo Maldini is the definitive finest thoroughbred. Technically, physically and mentally, it is impossible to find a more complete defender in the history of the game. A legend in the truest sense of the word, his glorious exploits with Italy and Milan has rightfully earned him an exalted pedestal in the pantheon of footballing legends.

Rio Ferdinand
The outstanding centreback of the 2002 WC whose consummate displays convinced Sir Alex to splash out on a world record fee for a defender. Anticipation, pace, composure and ability on the ball were hallmarks of his commanding breakout performances as Ferdinand oozed class from every pore, finally fulfilling the youthful promise that drew comparisons to Bobby Moore.

Zito
1962 WC All-Star and 2-time WC winner who was the fundamental bedrock that enabled the attacking riches before him to flourish. Zito is without doubt the greatest defensive midfielder Brazil has ever produced. His flawless reading of the game, impeccable positional sense, formidable ball-winning prowess and indefatigable work-rate nip threats completely in the bud.
Brian Gianville on Zito at WC 1958 "Didi had now found his ideal complement...Stronger in defence...an adroit passer who could strike for goal when necessary, Zito would emerge as the best half-back in the tournament"

Ernst Ocwirk
1954 WC All-Star who led Austria to 3rd place in the WC and twice captained a World XI. Rated as one of the greatest midfielders of all-time, Ocwirk was a bona fide midfield general who excelled at both ends of the pitch, renowned for his masterful reading of the game, prescient anticipation, immaculate technique as well as the creativity and range of his passing. Did I mention he was also a powerhouse in the air?
Brian Gianville on Ocwirk "marvellous attacking centre-half...tall, muscular...the possessor of a wonderfully strong and accurate left foot and impeccable technique"

Zizinho
1950 WC Golden Ball winner and an all-round footballing virtuso who was idolised by Pele as the best player he ever saw
Pele on Zizinho "He was a complete player. He played in midfield, in attack, he scored goals, he could mark, head and cross."
Gazzetta dello Sport on Zizinho “His football is like Leonardo da Vinci painting a masterpiece.”
Willy Meisl on Zizinho “We are not talking simply of a great player, one of the many great players found in diverse parts of the world. This is a genius. A man who possesses all the qualities that could be wished for by a professional in order to approximate perfection.”
Pedro Escartin captioned Zizinho's photo simply, “Zizinho ou A Arte [Zizinho or The Art].”

Zbigniew Boniek
1982 WC All-Star and an effervescent, irrepressible dynamo who covered every blade of grass across midfield and attack. His searing pace, incisive movement, dazzling dribbles and razor-sharp finishing demolished countless opponents into utter wrecks. His hat-trick against Belgium was one of the best in WC history.

Careca
1986 WC Silver Boot winner with a telepathic understanding with Maradona that elicits pure fantasy and ecstasy. Combining clever movement with scorching pace, marrying ruthless goal-scoring instincts to lethal finishing, Careca was absolutely top-drawer on the ground and in the air, easily one of the world’s premier strikers in the 80s.

Diego Maradona
86 WC Golden Ball winner, the greatest WC player of all-time and the only player one can ever argue won a WC on his own.
Imagine the creativity of Zizinho, the influence of Di Stefano, the precision of Puskas, the match-winning prowess of Pele, the dribbling of Garrincha, the power of Eusebio, the balance of Best, the intelligence of Beckanbauer, the big match temperament of Muller, the imagination of Cruyff, the passing of Platini, the vision of M. Laudrup, the technique of Zidane, the explosiveness of Ronaldo, the flair of Ronaldinho and the close control of Messi. Fuse them into one, add the golden ability to elevate teammates to another level and you have Diego Maradona.
Bobby Robson on Maradona "Other teams have tried everything. They have assigned a man to mark him, they have closed down space, they have let him go while attempting to cut off his service. To no avail. Let's just say that without Maradona, Argentina would have no chance of winning the World Cup. That's how great he is"
Baresi on Maradona "Nobody can ever become like him. Of course, Messi has lots of qualities. But Maradona remains Maradona"

Extended WC footage of Maradona
Maradona aged 21 at his debut WC

Maradona in his prime at Mexico 86

Polaroid

More extended WC footage of Maradona
Maradona in his prime at Mexico 86

Maradona with his ankle in pieces at Italia 90

Polaroid

Matches to kick off in 2 days time
Please PM me your formation graphic, tactics and player profiles the day before your match (for matches involving myself, I will probably ask Theon to help set up the match if he can)
This11 is the choice of the vast majority of the managers, so it is recommended for consistency across the board. However if you feel strongly about using footballuser, you may proceed.
Manager on the left (eg Rpitroda) will line up with GK at the top, Manager on the right (eg Cutch) will line up with GK at the bottom

Jan 7th:
Rpitroda vs Cutch
Balu vs TITO

Jan 8th:
Theon vs Gio
Jayvin vs Anto

Jan 9th:
Cal vs Desert
Crappy&Pippa vs Paceme

Jan 10th:
Fergus vs Annah
Pol vs Aldo

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Usually the tactics should be no longer than one PM, so whatever that limits you in terms of pictures and number of words etc. Anything that doesn't fit in that you can always post whenever you're game starts.

I found that too short personally on the old forum, it was barely anything and reading the write ups was my favourite part - I know others feel differently though and like it short and sweet.

Anyway, the new forum doesn't seem to have a limit on PM's - or if it does it is much, much bigger. So Balu can type away :drool:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I found that too short personally on the old forum, it was barely anything and reading the write ups was my favourite part - I know others feel differently though and like it short and sweet.

Anyway, the new forum doesn't seem to have a limit on PM's - or if it does it is much, much bigger. So Balu can type away :drool:
I did :lol: (though I probably send a shorter version to Pol, because then there's at least a slight chance more than a few are reading it)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I enjoy reading them as well but the danger is that it and the subsequent posts (posting player profiles immediately seems to be in vogue atm) turn into a spam-fest that turns off the casual voter.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I've always felt a pm was sufficient. It was 2500 or 3000 characters, wasn't it? I'd argue we should aim to be there or thereabouts.

Player profiles should be links to this thread. Anyone who actually wants to read them can click through. The pics and vids on them also clog up the thread and wastefully eat up data (for those on phones).

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I enjoy reading them as well but the danger is that it and the subsequent posts (posting player profiles immediately seems to be in vogue atm) turn into a spam-fest that turns off the casual voter.
Was wondering why Pol wrote that we should send him the player profiles as well. I planned on just placing a link to the post here in this thread at the end of my tactics, because it's way too much text to include it as well in the opening post of the games.

Or should we add them in spoiler tags after the tactics? Seems a bit too much for my taste.

/edit:
I fully agree with Anto.

@Polaroid
At what time do you plan to start the game tomorrow?

Thisistheone

Agree with the guys, player profiles can just be linked. Tactics and formation graphic are more important for the OP.

Polaroid

Was wondering why Pol wrote that we should send him the player profiles as well. I planned on just placing a link to the post here in this thread at the end of my tactics, because it's way too much text to include it as well in the opening post of the games.

Or should we add them in spoiler tags after the tactics? Seems a bit too much for my taste.

/edit:
I fully agree with Anto.

@Polaroid
At what time do you plan to start the game tomorrow?
Agree that it should be kept to one PM and videos if any should be hidden in spoilers.
I can post the player profiles after the OP or just a link in the OP. Up to the manager's preference.
Would 8 am GMT 0 suit you all? or 12 noon?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I would prefer noon, 8 am sounds too early to me and we probably see almost no action the next day in the last hours of the game. I don't mind though, if that's better for the rest of the managers, just would like to know it today, so that I can manage to get online. Have to start working again tomorrow.

Polaroid

Don't worry about it, Pol. I don't have any issue in sending you the stuff before our game.
Good to know that you are not small-minded like some folks
I can post my tactics in this thread later today (haven't got around to writing it yet)
Out of curiosity, who here can set up polls?

Polaroid

I would prefer noon, 8 am sounds too early to me and we probably see almost no action the next day in the last hours of the game. I don't mind though, if that's better for the rest of the managers, just would like to know it today, so that I can manage to get online. Have to start working again tomorrow.
Noon sounds good. The other 3 managers playing tomorrow can voice their preferences and we try to work out a time that suits everyone.

Moby

Dick
Good to know that you are not small-minded like some folks
I can post my tactics in this thread later today (haven't got around to writing it yet)
Out of curiosity, who here can set up polls?
Anyone can in this new forum. So we don't need a mod to help out with that part.

antohan

Agree that it should be kept to one PM and videos if any should be hidden in spoilers.
I can post the player profiles after the OP or just a link in the OP. Up to the manager's preference.
Would 8 am GMT 0 suit you all? or 12 noon?
Problem is spoilered things load up/use bandwidth anyway on xenforo. One of the most annoying things about it. Use links, seriously. Have a few hours to drive back tomorrow so hoping to time that properly.

Btw, unless something was changed i think anyone can start polls on xenforo, which can be handy, particularly with managers bound to change teamsheets regularly. What game was that? Both sides had changed within 10 mins :lol:

Weren't we starting today? I assume games tomorrow start as soon as the ones today are over?

antohan

Shite, that last paragraph was meant to be in the first, before saying i had some driving to do tomorrow.

Moby

Dick
I use the addon Olly gave me that makes it brilliant to view pages loaded with youtube pages. It looks like this :

It basically doesn't load the videos till you click on the button hence saving plenty of time and data.

antohan

I use the addon Olly gave me that makes it brilliant to view pages loaded with youtube pages. It looks like this :

It basically doesn't load the videos till you click on the button hence saving plenty of time and data.
That's handy Aldo, and please share, but my concern is over the hundreds of people we want to view the thread and won't have it. It is massively off-putting for people if every time they click on a draft poll it stalls and costs them an arm and a leg. I'm quite averse to the first page in particular being top heavy, thereafter it is people who are interested in the discussions and want to engage so fair enough but the first page is out of bounds IMO if we want to promote traffic.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
So people prefer no youtube videos? I've one spoilered in it, don't mind changing it to a link though.

@Antohan
at my phone and at my notebook with mobile internet, spoilered things aren't loaded until I open the spoiler. Youtube videos instantly stop loading when I close the spoiler again, so I really have no problems as long as people use spoilers. Gifs are a huge problem though.

Noon is fine with me. Will send across my write up now Pol. Cheers!
You wouldn't be nice enough to give me a hint if you use the diamond or the magic square, would you :cool:. My tactics are ready as well, but I could slightly adjust them, if I had a clue which formation you chose in the end :lol:.

Moby

Dick
That's handy Aldo, and please share, but my concern is over the hundreds of people we want to view the thread and won't have it. It is massively off-putting for people if every time they click on a draft poll it stalls and costs them an arm and a leg. I'm quite averse to the first page in particular being top heavy, thereafter it is people who are interested in the discussions and want to engage so fair enough but the first page is out of bounds IMO if we want to promote traffic.
You have to install the addon "Tampermonkey" and add the following script.

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name    RedCafe - Hide Youtube videos behind button
// @include  https://www.redcafe.net/*
// @require  http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.3/jquery.min.js
// @require  https://gist.github.com/raw/2625891/waitForKeyElements.js
// @grant    GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==
/*- The @grant directive is needed to work around a design change
    introduced in GM 1.0.  It restores the sandbox.
*/
waitForKeyElements ("iframe[src*='youtube.com']", hideYoutubeVideo);

function hideYoutubeVideo (jNode) {
    if ( ! jNode.hasClass ("gmSpoiledAlready") ) {
        jNode.addClass ("gmSpoiledAlready");

var srcCode    = jNode[0].outerHTML;

jNode.after ('<button class="gmYT_hide" style="background:#d00000; color: #ffffff; font-weight:bold; border:1px solid #b80202; border-radius: 3px; padding:2px;">Show YouTube video</button>');
        jNode.next ('button').data ("frmCode", srcCode);
        jNode.remove ();
    }
}

//--- Activate any and all of the spoiler buttons
$(document.body).on ("click", "button.gmYT_hide", restoreYoutubeVideo)

function restoreYoutubeVideo (evnt) {
    var jThis  = $(evnt.target);
    var frmCode = jThis.data ("frmCode");

jThis.replaceWith (frmCode);
}

Thisistheone

I'm putting no video's or pics in my write-up. Will post them during the game if need be.

You wouldn't be nice enough to give me a hint if you use the diamond or the magic square, would you :cool:. My tactics are ready as well, but I could slightly adjust them, if I had a clue which formation you chose in the end :lol:.
No can do my friend. My boys are in the hotel ready for an early night after some tactical debriefing. Sadly I can see Gazza smashing in a fire alarm at 3am thinking it'd be a laugh. He's already shaved off Paolo Rossi's beloved curly locks after he spent £100 quid on getting them permed. Morale in the camp is touch and go tbh.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
:lol:

Ffs, my players are a boring bunch in comparison. I've showed them a mean video of Rinus Michels shouting in a training session, now they're all frightend and went to bed early.