Fantasy Tournament: World Cup All-Time All-Stars

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
have i gone overboard with arrows? =P
You haven't seen my formation yet :lol: . Everything is better with arrows. Batistuta needs one as well, pretty sure he's sad for not getting one.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
PLAYER PROFILES

SERGIO GOYCOCHEA (Argentina):
World cup appearances: 6 (1990)
World cup peak: Stunning performances in Italia 90, basically dragging his team to the final with his penalty saving heroics in both the quarter final and the semi final. Only a perfect Brehme penalty in the final could separate the 2 sides.

CAFU (Brazil):
World cup appearances: 21 (1994, 1998, 2002, 2006)
World cup peak: The only player to appear in 3 World Cup finals winning 2 of these. A tireless fullback who is Brazils all time caps record holder (142), and has won more games in the World Cup than anybody else (16).

ROBERTO AYALA (Argentina):
World cup appearances: 10 (1998, 2006)
World cup peak: Along with Nesta, the outstanding centre half of the early 2000s, was in exceptional form in 2006 being named in the team of the tournament. He scored in the quarter final but they went on to be beaten by Germany.

GIUSEPPE BERGOMI (Italy):
World cup appearances: 16 (1982, 1986, 1990, 1998)
World cup peak: Veteran of 4 World Cups spanning 16 years. His highlight was winning his first one, at only 19 yo with only 30 senior games under his belt, famously marking Germanys star man Karl Heinz Rummenigge out of the game in the final.

ALESSANDRO NESTA (Italy):
World cup appearances: 9 (1998, 2002, 2006)
World cup peak: Winning the world cup in 2006. Sadly for Nesta, one of the finest defenders of his generation, injury ruled him out of the latter stages in all 3 tournaments he played in.

JOSE SANTAMARIA (Uruguay/Spain):
World cup appearances: 7 (1954, 1962)
World cup peak: The rock behind Uruguays defence that reached the semi finals in 1954 before losing to the favourites Hungary. Named in the All Star Team for that tournament.

GIACINTO FACCHETTI (Italy):
World cup appearances: 12 (1966, 1970, 1974)
World cup peak: Considered by many as the greatest left back of all time, he captained the side that reached the final in 1970. Had 94 caps for Italy with 70 as captain.

LUIS MONTI (Argentina/Italy):
World cup appearances: 9 (1930, 1934)
World cup peak: The only man to play in 2 world cup finals for different teams, winning with Italy in 1934. Named in the All star team of the tournament in 1930 and 1934. Had a memorable performance against Austria in 1934 where Monti was responsible for marking Matthias Sindelaar out of the game who was one of the greatest attackers in that era.
Considered the finest half back in the pre war era. Nicknamed ‘The double wide’ because of the immense ground he covered on the pitch. He had also good technical skills to go along with his aggressive tackling.

TEOFILO CUBILLAS (Peru):
World cup appearances: 13 (1970, 1978) – 10 goals
World cup peak: The Pele of Peru. The all time highest scoring midfielder in the World Cup with 10 goals placing him 7th on the all time list. Awarded best young player of the 1970 tournament. Guided Peru to the quarter finals in both tournaments.

FLORIAN ALBERT (Hungary):
World cup appearances: 7 (1962, 1966) – 4 goals
World cup peak: The only Hungarian player to win the Ballon d’Or. Joint top scorer in the 1962 tournament at only 20 yo. In 1966 he was named in the All Star Team, and produced 1 of the greatest individual performances in World Cup history against World Champions Brazil who hadn’t been beaten in 10 years. Albert orchestrated attacks from all over the pitch, running past opponents and helping to set up all three of his side's goals. The English supporters at Goodison chanted ‘Albert Albert’ for an hour after the game.

FRITZ WALTER (Germany):
World cup appearances: 11 (1954, 1958) – 3 goals
World cup peak: Inspirational captain who guided Germany to their first World Cup in 1954. Played a starring role in the final against overwhelming favourites Hungary dragging his team to victory from 2-0 down in what is known as 'The Miracle of Bern'.

Rudi Voeller:
"He was not just an idol, he was more than that. I don't think there is a word to describe it. I remember my father telling me that there won't be another German player like Walter in a 100, in a 1,000 years."
Horst Eckel:
‘’The Fritz was the greatest. Better than Pele and Beckenbauer’’
In 2004, to celebrate its Golden Jubilee, UEFA asked each national Football Association to nominate a single player who was deemed to be their most outstanding talent of the previous 50 years.
England chose Bobby Moore, Scotland picked Denis Law, Johan Cruyff was the Dutch choice and Dino Zoff represented the Italians.
But who did the Germans select? Seeler? Muller? Netzer? Breitner? Beckenbauer? Rummenigge? Matthaeus? Klinsmann? No. The player the Germans elected was Fritz Walter.
http://theinsideleft.com/fritz-walter-hero-of-berne/

GERD MULLER (Germany):
World cup appearances: 13 (1970, 1974) – 14 goals
World cup peak: One of the most outstanding goalscorers the world has ever seen. Scorer of 10 goals in 6 games in the 1970 tournament. Scored the winner in the final of the 1974 tournament. Had blistering acceleration and stunning aerial ability. He could score a goal out of nothing.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Great write ups from everyone so far.

I'm really not sure if I will be able to get mine done before Friday, really busy at work this week. I will try but if it's ok with Annah and Pol, I may need to reschedule for either Sunday or Monday...?

Polaroid

What Anto proposed is reasonable - apart from formation graphic, avoid gifs, videos & images on the first page if you can. If you must, use them with spoilers.

Alternatively, post them in the draft thread and provide the links in the match thread.

On the match timings, matches will kick off around noon after the previous day's matches have ended.

Fergus, I am fine with the rescheduling. If Annah is ok with it, I will reschedule for you.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I'm pretty sure Nassazi was best at RB wasn't he?

No, he would be a modern centre back. Teams back then played a 2-3-5 and he was one of the '2' defenders, his position is nothing like that of a modern fullback. My understanding is that the right half back would be more akin to a modern fullback in those formations

Annahnomoss

When is the games coming up? I am stoked to see the managers work, here is my presentation of Leonidas and Didi. I figured I'd rely solely on stats and quotes from others rather than try to describe them myself as it sounds hyperbole.​
Leonidas
Leonidas has an average of 1.75 goals per game – which effectively ranks him in as the third best goal-scorer in the history of World Cup counting goals per game. He also achieved this by scoring in every single game he ever played in the World Cup. He was the top-scorer and was awarded the Golden Ball for being the best player in the tournament.
Ranked in the top 10 best Brazilians of all time and the 2nd best forward after Pele – ahead of players like Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Rivelino etc. He was picked by two newspapers as the leading striker ahead of Pele – benching the likes of Ronaldo, Romario and Vava when they formed an all-time Brazilian XI. He had the highest goals-per-game in the history of Brazils international team.
He was much less like his Brazilian legends in style and instead very much like Messi with his elasticity, great passing and short height which earned him the nickname “The Rubber man”. He even started out in the same position(Inside right) before being moved in centrally which made him equally comfortable at being out wide during attacks as centrally.
Of him, it was said by Jerry Wienstein, "He was as fast as a greyhound, as agile as a cat, and seemed not to be made of flesh and bones at all, but entirely of rubber. He was tireless in pursuit of the ball, fearless, and constantly on the move. He never conceded defeat. He shot from any angle and any position, and compensated for his small height with exceptionally supple, unbelievable contortions, and impossible acrobatics."
Didi
Valdir Pereira “Didi” – By many considered the greatest central midfielder in the history(Contested only by Di Stefano/Platini/Beckenbauer) of football and generally considered the best central midfielder of WC history. A “wizard”, Didi was an utterly sublime central midfielder who picked passes as effortlessly as he intercepted them. He had incredibly accurate passing, ball control, vision, great stamina and strength.
Within minutes of the game against USSR starting, Didi had supplied three through balls to initiate three incredible moves, Gabriel Hanot, the founder of the European Cup, called them “the greatest three minutes ever played”.From that point, they dominated the tournament with Didi dominating every midfield. In the semi-final, he scored the goal that put them ahead against France. In the final, he lifted the level in multiple ways.
Diditreats the ball lovingly. At his feet, it seems to become a rare and sensitive orchid, which must be looked after with affection and pleasure”, was one of Rodrigues´ particularly descriptive portrayals of the midfielder´s class in possession.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Good luck rpitroda. I'll be heading out now this afternoon but should be back on in the evening

Good luck to you too! Should be a good game. Yeah, i'm at work for the rest of the afternoon and I'm going to the pub to watch the game tonight so I'll probably get a few comments in now but won't be on much later until the night.

Polaroid

I can't fit Rpitroda and Cutch's write-ups into OP
Rpitroda, your write-up is too long, I have to break it up
I will create the thread then you take a look before I set up the poll

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Good luck to you too! Should be a good game. Yeah, i'm at work for the rest of the afternoon and I'm going to the pub to watch the game tonight so I'll probably get a few comments in now but won't be on much later until the night.
There's again football tonight in England? feck I hate the winterbreak in Germany. I have to watch stupid meaningless interviews with the players who are training in Qatar right now to see at least a bit about football.

RoadTrip

There's again football tonight in England? feck I hate the winterbreak in Germany. I have to watch stupid meaningless interviews with the players who are training in Qatar right now to see at least a bit about football.

League cup semi final first leg against Sunderland... and we are away from home, so hopefully we will win =P.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm a bit worried now, that mine is too long as well :lol:.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
We can blame Theon, he said he wants long introductions.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
League cup semi final first leg against Sunderland... and we are away from home, so hopefully we will win =P.
Maybe I should start supporting United through the winterbreak, though I'm still not over '99, can't really do that. Is there anything support-worthy about Sunderland? Maybe I choose them as my favorite English team now :lol:

Annahnomoss

Maybe I should start supporting United through the winterbreak, though I'm still not over '99, can't really do that. Is there anything support-worthy about Sunderland? Maybe I choose them as my favorite English team now :lol:

You can have a favorite swedish team as well as we play during the others summer-break.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Ffs, that's all a big plan to increase the tension, right?

RoadTrip

Sunderland has a lot of ex-United players such... chances are some of our 1999 team played there once they grew old =P =P.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
So no Sunderland then, well, I'll live. I think I need at least 90minutes to read your wall of text anyway, so that's as good as watching a game of football :lol: .. Ffs, that would have never happened if I had become your assistant.

RoadTrip

So no Sunderland then, well, I'll live. I think I need at least 90minutes to read your wall of text anyway, so that's as good as watching a game of football :lol: .. Ffs, that would have never happened if I had become your assistant.

Good luck =P. Pol is struggling to post it right now so who knows you might not hav emuch to read after all hahahah!

Polaroid

Match thread created
Please take a look Rpitroda
If it is ok, we set up the poll. Although it seems I don't have the power to add a poll after the thread is created. Anybody knows how to or I have to get a mod

RoadTrip

Match thread created
Please take a look Rpitroda
If it is ok, we set up the poll. Although it seems I don't have the power to add a poll after the thread is created. Anybody knows how to or I have to get a mod

I'm ok with it - i'll sort it out for you before the next round if i get through!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Polaroid
Looks great now, well done.

Anyone else think that making it two opening posts is a good idea in general? Even if the write-ups are short enough to do it in one?

Polaroid

Thanks to all for the suggestions
Glad it worked out well
Will do it in 2 OPs from now on, neater approach