Fantasy Tournament: World Cup All-Time All-Stars

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
2nd option. There's no need to rush it - and the pros are bigger, not least that you end up with more functional teams.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
It would be 24 hours but if everyone sends their picks the round will be over.

For that, the issue will be once you send your pick you can't change it so just be a little more careful but I think we can do that if that means saving loads of time.

For example if all are online we can finish a round in a few hours as well.
No bother. You're the boss so whatever you reckon

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
2nd for me too i'd say. No way of speeding the thing up a bit? 24hrs a pick seems a bit much
You run into different timezone problems and such, not least with the mod himself.

The important thing is that it progresses according to the deadlines and that everyone knows they are set in stone, makes it much easier to time manage as well as you are not constantly checking whether it's your turn or not.

Aldo can set a daily deadline based on what is most convenient for him to tally up and report. Everyone knows at what time there's news and immediately knows if they have "homework" or not and can choose what to allocate their time to and how much.

It really is very work-life-draft balance-friendly that.

antohan

It would be 24 hours but if everyone sends their picks the round will be over.

For that, the issue will be once you send your pick you can't change it so just be a little more careful but I think we can do that if that means saving loads of time.

For example if all are online we can finish a round in a few hours as well.
I wouldn't really go there Aldo, bound to result in truckloads being online and bitching about someone who isn't, which is fair enough if they have other things to do (including sleeping). Daily set deadline and reporting back and each to their own managing accordingly.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I have no biological clock, so any old time will do me fine. I'm working largely freelance at the moment too, so whether I'm up all night or do things in a more socially acceptable manner is entirely up to me.

antohan

2nd option sounds brilliant.
What I really like about it beyond pros and cons is the mindfeck that it must be to be sitting there having to make a second or third stage pick and not having the faintest idea what the other feckers already picked :lol:

There are a few brilliant cases where someone in the third stage decides to go for a really obvious, probably top 1-3 choice, and gets it because everyone has avoided it due to being so obvious. Balls of steel!

Moby

Dick
I wouldn't really go there Aldo, bound to result in truckloads being online and bitching about someone who isn't, which is fair enough if they have other things to do (including sleeping). Daily set deadline and reporting back and each to their own managing accordingly.
True.

The ideal and stable method is have a 24 hour cycle. It would usually be around 6-8 PM in the evening UK Time, which I guess suits most of us here.

VivaJanuzaj

I don't think there's any harm in 24 hours time limit, we could go 18 if you folks want that..

Don't care about option 1 or 2, both look good.

@AldoPaine18 thanks again for changing you mind, this is going to be fun :D

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
What I really like about it beyond pros and cons is the mindfcuk that it must be to be sitting there having to make a second or third stage pick and not having the faintest idea what the other fcukers already picked :lol:

There are a few brilliant cases where someone in the third stage decides to go for a really obvious, probably top 1-3 choice, and gets it because everyone has avoided it due to being so obvious. Balls of steel!
Wait, so when I pick my 2nd choice, I don't know what everyone else picked with their 1st choice, all I know is that my pick failed and is banned now?

If so, why exactly do we need 3 days? Then everyone can just submit 3 players from the start? Then every round is finished after 24 hours?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Wait, so when I pick my 2nd choice, I don't know what everyone else picked with their 1st choice, all I know is that my pick failed and is banned now?

If so, why exactly do we need 3 days? Then everyone can just submit 3 players from the start? Then every round is finished after 24 hours?
It would take the mind-feck aspect away. Plus, it'd be a more comprehensive (and dull) job for the umpire to sort of 16 X 3 picks, I'd imagine.

Moby

Dick
If i had to pick again, would I know how many others have to pick again or is it all completely blind until we've finished the round?
You will know how many "passed" in their first attempt, which means they got their pick. So yeah you would know how many are left.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
This game is tailor made for Antohan. He'll pick all the guys the rest of us havn't the balls to pick, and will probably have some probability statistical analysis chart done on the rest of us to work out who we're all likely to go for each round. :lol:

Moby

Dick

Say we have 5 players.

2 get their pick in first attempt, three don't. Then you will be told those two passed. And you will need to resend as your second attempt. You can't send all three together because what if your second preference was blocked in the first attempt by two others?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
This game is tailor made for Antohan. He'll pick all the guys the rest of us havn't the balls to pick, and will probably have some probability statistical analysis chart done on the rest of us to work out who we're all likely to go for each round. :lol:
He probably bans our picks with his 1st and 2nd choice and then he picks the one he wants with his 3rd and we're all fecked :(.

antohan

True.

The ideal and stable method is have a 24 hour cycle. It would usually be around 6-8 PM in the evening UK Time, which I guess suits most of us here.
Exactly, much like WW. Some are more or less active, have other things showing up... but everyone knows they need to check lynch and slaughter.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Say we have 5 players.

2 get their pick in first attempt, three don't. Then you will be told those two passed. And you will need to resend as your second attempt. You can't send all three together because what if your second preference was blocked in the first attempt by two others?
So I do know who the others picked in the first attempt? Then of course it makes sense, maybe I misunderstood Anto then.

Moby

Dick
So I do know who the others picked in the first attempt? Then of course it makes sense, maybe I misunderstood Anto then.
You won't know who others got. You will just be told they got their pick.

So if you fail your second attempt, chances are you will be screwed. Why?

1. You can coincide with another manager in that attempt which is a natural block.
2. You can pick someone who was picked succesfully by someone in first attempt.

The probability that you will get your player goes down drastically with each attempt.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Sounds great. I wrote you a PM to confirm that I'm in, btw.

antohan

Firstly, because you wouldn't know the banned ones (which could be quite a few as you will likely have a lot more players and blocks).

Second, because you would want to see who got something at all and what others who failed had gone for, which could hint at what is best to do next.

Thirdly, the closer the sheep gets the more you massively start watering down your ambitions :lol:

Or, fourthly, if you are in the third pick and see a lot of blocks in previous rounds in players other than the obvious ones, you may want to take your chances on a prime target rather than on a slight upgrade on a sheep (which may well get blocked as well!).

Trust me, it's not the same, I read through that thread Aldo posted (even worked out who Aldo was even before seeing him steal my pitch with faces teamsheet :D). The fun is in the bluffing and double-bluffing, why spare yourself the fun?

antohan

If i had to pick again, would I know how many others have to pick again or is it all completely blind until we've finished the round?
Read my example again and focus on the parts where I say what the mod reports back, that's all the info you have, i.e., who is through, who isn't, and which players have been banned as a result of a block (that list starts getting huge pretty quickly as it includes anyone ever doubled up on).

Moby

Dick
It will be good if you guys can go through that BigSoccer link. Don't need to read the whole OP, just go through one of the rounds and see what the mod reported back. Think that should explain it well.

antohan

He probably bans our picks with his 1st and 2nd choice and then he picks the one he wants with his 3rd and we're all fcuked :(.
Yeah, I actually settled on that as my strategy! Will get a few sheep here and there, but who gives a feck? My only problem is I don't really want a star-studded team so need to weigh it up every turn: the team I want or pissing everyone off :lol:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Round 1 Pick 1 Results

argentine soccer fan - Fail (Laurent Blanc 98)
AudereEstFacere - Fail (Nilton Santos 58)
babaorum - Fail (Diego Maradona 86)
benni... & SyedZada - Fail (Garrincha 62)
Bestie - Fail (Diego Maradona 86)
billyireland - Fail (Garrincha 62)
Breitner'sWig - Fail (Laurent Blanc 98)
cr7torossi - Fail (Nilton Santos 54)
Excape Goat - Fail (Nilton Santos 58)
La-Maquina - Fail (Garrincha 58)
Michaelf777777 - Fail (Jozsef Bozsik 54)
PDG1978 - Fail (Laurent Blanc 98)
Peru FC - Fail (Garrincha 62)
Sammer's Hammer - Fail (Garrincha 58)
soccernutter - Fail (Jozsef Bozsik 54)
Triton - Fail (Nilton Santos 58)
Twenty26Six - Pass
Vasu - Fail (Nilton Santos 54)
:lol:

Ffs. 1 pass in the first round :lol:. That draft will be a bloodbath.

antohan

You are told two passed but not who they picked. That's part of the mindfeck, did they pick the one who was your second choice? Did they pick the obvious ones? Or did they go through because they played safe?

Awesome.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Cheers, for clearing it all up, I'm really excited about this, sounds awsome.

antohan

The guy who passed did so because he avoided the obvious and went Beckham 98. Some picked up Maradona 82 or Zidane 98 (the years are a nightmare with that one) but by the third round some ended up with the likes of Igor Chislenko to avoid a sheep :lol:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Where's the difference between Igor Chislenko and a sheep :lol:?

They didn't play any games at the end of that draft, or am I missing something? It looks like they just voted who drafted the strongest team in the end?