FAO Tottenham Hotspur | Fighting Cock Goes Into Meltdown | Glast...gone

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are they though? An unknown defender and a Chelsea flop, yes they are cover, which is needed, but certainly not taking Spurs to the next level.
The defender seems quite good and also, while he maybe doesn't walk into the team, it provides Spurs with 3 very good centre back choices (Romero, Van de Ven, Dragusin) and also offloaded Dier. Werner did flop at Chelsea but his style of play I think will suit what Ange is doing well. He might not score enough but I think he's a good addition for what the manager wants. And they made good signings in the summer. They obviously need more but for the time being they are doing smart business.

I'm happy with getting Sancho out and the proposed move for Hannibal makes sense with Gore coming through too. Pellistri going also makes sense if he is barely gonna feature. I just hope we are finally learning our lessons, clearing the decks and getting sorted for a huge summer. And a forward on loan this month would be nice.

RVN1991

Are they though? An unknown defender and a Chelsea flop, yes they are cover, which is needed, but certainly not taking Spurs to the next level.
You could do much worse on loan to cover for Sons absence. Not gonna pretend I know anything about Dragusin but he seems to be very highly rated by people that have seen him.

Joel Miller

Amazing that their season is done already when they have the second coming of SAF in the dugout.

The Ange love in was nauseating so it’s at least amusing to see their bubble burst.

RVN1991

Amazing that their season is done already when they have the second coming of SAF in the dugout.

The Ange love in was nauseating so it’s at least amusing to see their bubble burst.
SAF didn't win anything his first year at united either tbf

Red00012

SAF didn't win anything his first year at united either tbf
So yesterday you were bigging up Klopp and Liverpool and today you’re comparing Ange to Fergie’s 1st session. I smell a WUM or a scouser

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Best team in the world with the best coach in the world seem to be struggling, how is this possible :(
Maybe Ange is a fraud. :(

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
All this talk of Spurs being improved is overblown as Conte had them below where they should have been and they are still nowhere near winning anything. What's more, 2 of last seasons top 4 United and Newcastle are having bad seasons and another usual top 4 club in Chelsea has gone into meltdown.

Fr. Todd Unctious

A win for us tomorrow would make things interesting up into 6th and 6pts off top 4 and the 2 teams above looking like they're starting to tail off.

That being said it would also require us to get our arses into gear and go on a bit of run. That's probably unlikely

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
People will always moan. I'm sure a treble wouldn't be good enough for some of them but being on the same points as Spurs would be a damn sight better than where we are.
From our perspective yes but the expectation at the beginning of the season was that we'd be further up the table.

Spurs after 23 games have 2 fewer points than us at the same stage last season. People wouldn't be commenting "at least we're not 8th" and would probably be saying "we've spent neatly 200m and have gone nowhere". The only difference would be ten Hag would have a few more fans but there would still be plenty calling for him to go at the end of the season.

Simply put, Spurs' position isn't that enviable and I'd look to Arsenal as a better example.

Withnail

From our perspective yes but the expectation at the beginning of the season was that we'd be further up the table.

Spurs after 23 games have 2 fewer points than us at the same stage last season. People wouldn't be commenting "at least we're not 8th" and would probably be saying "we've spent neatly 200m and have gone nowhere". The only difference would be ten Hag would have a few more fans but there would still be plenty calling for him to go at the end of the season.

Simply put, Spurs' position isn't that enviable and I'd look to Arsenal as a better example.
True but Arsenal are years ahead of us with regards to squad building. We have a starting IX and not a huge amount of depth behind that. Even then some of the IX are probably passed their sell by date.

The point was we're not really in any position to slag off Spurs or Big Ange.

GazTheLegend

People will always moan. I'm sure a treble wouldn't be good enough for some of them but being on the same points as Spurs would be a damn sight better than where we are.
We've been absolutely shite for a few months and all but like, I don't think they're in that good a place really. They had all the luck in the world in the first few weeks of the season and ground out a few wins (including Vs ourselves) and just seemed to keep riding that wave. They did impress me at old Trafford a few weeks ago but even so I'd rather have our squad than theirs, particularly with Mainoo's resurgence and Hojlund starting to find the net.

Counterfactual

True but Arsenal are years ahead of us with regards to squad building. We have a starting IX and not a huge amount of depth behind that. Even then some of the IX are probably passed their sell by date.

The point was we're not really in any position to slag off Spurs or Big Ange.
Perhaps we should play the other two players we're allowed on the pitch? :D

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Always have mixed feelings watching Spurs. They are clearly a good amount better than they were last season, but then they play a type of high risk football that just isn't sustainable in this league. Create a lot of chances. Concede a lot of chances. Very entertaining, very refreshing. You feel PL coaches will have increasingly worked them out how to beat them over time.

In order to progress they need to do one of two things. Add more high level talent, or adapt their playing style. Ange doesn't seem interested in the latter, and they will need to keep finding gold in the market to achieve the former. The hits they've had with the likes of Udogie, Van de Ven and Vicario are a positive, but Werner and Johnson won't cut it at the level they aspire to. We'll see what happens.

caid

Always have mixed feelings watching Spurs. They are clearly a good amount better than they were last season, but then they play a type of high risk football that just isn't sustainable in this league. Create a lot of chances. Concede a lot of chances. Very entertaining, very refreshing. You feel PL coaches will have increasingly worked them out how to beat them over time.

In order to progress they need to do one of two things. Add more high level talent, or adapt their playing style. Ange doesn't seem interested in the latter, and they will need to keep finding gold in the market to achieve the former. The hits they've had with the likes of Udogie, Van de Ven and Vicario are a positive, but Werner and Johnson won't cut it at the level they aspire to. We'll see what happens.
I'm not sure they are when all's said and done. Maybe its just losing Kane that keeps it debatable? I suspect the main difference is the current manager isn't throwing his toys out of the pram. You'd be happier as a supporter (and as a neutral) but they'll probably end up in much the same spot as a Conte or Mourinho would get them. Which is a pretty decent achievement for the manager to be fair to him.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
They'll finish comfortably ahead of us.
No they won't.

They are one dimensional team and they got found out.
You people like Ange as a manager because he likes high line, high tempo, high pressing football.
But tactically he has shown nothing different.

It's going to be a bumpy ride for them. And if they get a bunch of first teamers injured like we did, they are completely screwed.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Why are you using the fighting cock meltdown thread for Spurs discussions, when there's atleast 2 other Spurs threads?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No they won't.

You people like Ange as a manager because he likes high line, high tempo, high pressing football.

It's going to be a bumpy ride for them. And if they get a bunch of first teamers injured like we did, they are completely screwed.
You've obviously not seen us play this season. And they've had loads of significant injuries.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
No they won't.

There still a much better team than us right now despite all what you said. We’re more inconsistent so the chances are they will finish above us. We have to look at finishing above West Ham and Brighton and see where that takes us. Spurs and Aston Villa are miles above us in terms of how they play and being more consistent.