Farewell Zlatan! | Zlatan: "I came. I said. I conquered."

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Veni, vidi, vici.

Do think he'll be back with us though, unless a club offers him a contract now.

Water Melon

The Legend, if not of Utd, but of the world football for sure. Fantastic player, magnificent!

togg

There was a bit of the Cantona about him in terms of his personality, presence and arrogance....although Zlatan was much louder!!

He was exactly what we needed last season....thanks Zlatan.....you basically single handedly won us one of our cups. Also...without you, the season would have been more dull......

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Maybe, was it when it took weeks until we made a statement? I seem to remember the club got a lot ot stick over it so they should know better from that time hopefully. It's just a bit weird as if Zlatan were to leave I think the club would have wrote something about it. It's like they wait now to see how quick he recover.

And from what I understand, the retained list must be out a certain date every year
? So it would be stupid to retain him now, in june, and pay him while he's out. Rather take the chance and risk him going to another club but i'm sure United are confident he will sign if we want him when he's fit.
I believe you are right about the retained list also i remember reading somewhere that zlatan didn't want to be payed whilst out injured.

And i believe signing a free agent can be done outside transfer windows so whenever he recovers he could sign a new deal.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I'm so thankful that I got to see him in a United shirt, I've dreamt of that for 15+ years. I was pretty certain it would never happen when he signed for PSG so even if he was past his prime and didn't get to do a full season it was still really special to see him in a United shirt.

spiriticon

I reckon he might sign a 6-month contract in January. Don't write this one off just yet.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
I'm so thankful that I got to see him in a United shirt, I've dreamt of that for 15+ years. I was pretty certain it would never happen when he signed for PSG so even if he was past his prime and didn't get to do a full season it was still really special to see him in a United shirt.
Not only that, he was actually pretty good and United were better with him in the side than without him. He is a pure football legend.

POF

Stone giving me hope he will sign a deal! Also that would explain why United have not did any sort of farewell to Zlatan on their sites.
It would be an interesting farewell message. "Thanks for the memories Zlatan. It's a really sad day to see you leave the club. See you on Monday at the training ground."

If United extended his contract they would basically pay him £6m to use the training facilities for 6 months. I'd expect it wouldn't even be covered by insurance as they would extend his contract with the knowledge he is injured. If anyone sanctioned that deal they should be sacked.

There is surely a great chance he will re-sign for the club when he is fully recovered. What a boost that would be for the run in.

RuudTom83

Zlatan should get fit and not get himself cup tied...then sign for the club who are mostly likely to win trophies at the end of the season.

I hope it's United, but if not I'd not begrudge him joining another team, he's earned it.

Jaxdan

A win/win situation for all parties in my opinion. Zlatan can stay on and recuperate and train at Carrington and the clubhouse will gain having him there by all accounts. In the meantime if any ther club comes calling he can move on. If not, and he regains fitness most of us believe he will, he could sign with us short term at a time we might really need his experience and depth. Glad he'll at least be kept in the fold to some extent for now.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I reckon he might sign a 6-month contract in January. Don't write this one off just yet.
I would like that too. I'm glad he's going to recover from his injury here his physical attributes can only inspire the others watching him recover. I don't think I've ever seen such an inspirational specimen of health and longetivity.

Whether he wears the shirt again or not I'm so glad we had him last season what an example for Rashford to learn from.

markhrad

There was a bit of the Cantona about him in terms of his personality, presence and arrogance....although Zlatan was much louder!!

He was exactly what we needed last season....thanks Zlatan.....you basically single handedly won us one of our cups. Also...without you, the season would have been more dull......
Totally agree. I still think if he regains fitness by the end of the year we will resign him, however, even if it does not work out he came here to do a job and he achieved it. He helped getting us back in the CL, 2 more trophies of worth, brought back excitement to our games and helped to ease out Rooney.
Cant ask for more.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think he will sign a contract after he recovers. We were never going to sign him up for another year while injured and pay him through recovery.

MAME DIOUF 32

I hope he does recover and sign a new deal. He's got another season in him at the top level before heading for a semi-retirement league.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I hope he does recover and sign a new deal. He's got another season in him at the top level before heading for a semi-retirement league.
especially with possible new younger forwards taking some of the responsiblity and maybe even playing alongside him

MuranoLover

Oh , Zlatan , Zlatan , would be such a love story if you came here in stead of PSG a couple of years ago

Klopp_De_Klown

Not overly happy at him being released. But i suppose what else could the club do. He can't play so he hardly deserves his full wages on a good will bond and nothing else. Its good to hear he will still be round the club next season(and all summer) the club are doing the right thing. He is a great lad brings loads to the table and still plenty to offer.

I'd love it to be here with us, at the moment. Depending who we sign and how well they are doing that might change slightly.

Really hope he is inolved and included round the club, coming to the odd game and just being a presence. Its his swagger we need as much as his goals

Shark

@NotShark
I'm almost comvinced that we'll sign him back up if he recovers well, around January.

Ole90+3

I'm almost comvinced that we'll sign him back up if he recovers well, around January.
That would be the ideal scenario. Having Zlatan for the run in could be such a huge boost and potentially crucial depending on what position we are in the league and how we're progressing in the cups.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Came in to post the same thing.
Read somewhere his pride drove him to refuse a contract.

He'll sign back in Jan/Feb when fit!

doomy20

I am the only one who is thinking that Zlatan will recover much faster than normal footballers these day? He is an absolute expectional athlete, Christiano level. Wouldn´t be surprised seeing him back at a starting 11 in November. Therefore i dont like the fact we released him due to a few millions of wages while we pay millions and millions for losers like Lingard or Young. The fact that he would surely be with us after recovery would have been worth a few million, if you ask me. The question is, isn´t his pride to big for signing with us again after the recovery? Wouldn´t be surprised if he comes up with "you released me 3 months back, your bad", signs for Chelsea or someone else and bangs in 15+ till the end of 2018.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I am the only one who is thinking that Zlatan will recover much faster than normal footballers these day? He is an absolute expectional athlete, Christiano level. Wouldn´t be surprised seeing him back at a starting 11 in November. Therefore i dont like the fact we released him due to a few millions of wages while we pay millions and millions for losers like Lingard or Young. The fact that he would surely be with us after recovery would have been worth a few million, if you ask me. The question is, isn´t his pride to big for signing with us again after the recovery? Wouldn´t be surprised if he comes up with "you released me 3 months back, your bad", signs for Chelsea or someone else and bangs in 15+ till the end of 2018.
Most of the noise coming out is that this was essentially a mutual decision, with Zlatan's recovery overseen by United medical staff. Whether or not he signs another contract with United is a question no one can answer, but there certainly doesn't appear to be any bad blood, especially if it's true that he was not willing to extend his contract when he can't go out and earn his money.

The 'release' seems to be more media driven than anything.

lem8sh

9 months minimum no matter who you are. Will not play until 2018.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'll wait for it to be confirmed officially by the club but all the best Zlatan, it was a dream of mine for him to play for United and although it looks like only being the one season he has been excellent.