Fastest footballers - Top 10

Rossa

I think Jordi Alba would beat most of the players on that list on a foot race. One on one he seems faster than Ronaldo ffs.
The same Jordi Alba whom Lucas outpaced with the ball? Alba is fast, but those short feet of his makes him look even faster than he is. He outpaced Robben though, so no slouch, that's for sure. Terrific on the overlap as well.

Rossa

No surprises:

Who is that out on the left wing he is literally twice as fast as?
Wasn't that Glen Johnson, who is hardly slow. What always surprises me about these counter attacks by United is how a late thirties or even 40 year old Giggs manages to be in the box every single time. Baffling really.

prarek

The same Jordi Alba whom Lucas outpaced with the ball? Alba is fast, but those short feet of his makes him look even faster than he is. He outpaced Robben though, so no slouch, that's for sure. Terrific on the overlap as well.
Haven't seen the Moura clip although im sure Moura is pretty quick too. I saw him outrun Ronaldo though when Bale(or maybe Isco) unleashed a great cross from the middle and from there on it was a one-on-one foot race between Ronaldo and Alba, Alba got there first and cut it off, although he lost the ball soon and had to foul Ronaldo lol.

Rossa

Haven't seen the Moura clip although im sure Moura is pretty quick too. I saw him outrun Ronaldo though when Bale(or maybe Isco) unleashed a great cross from the middle and from there on it was a one-on-one foot race between Ronaldo and Alba, Alba got there first and cut it off, although he lost the ball soon and had to foul Ronaldo lol.
Do you have the clip? Alba is fast, but I doubt that he would win a sprint against Ronaldo tbf. Have you ever noticed how no defenders ever rank on that list? Evra at his prime outpaced Robben with relative ease and had pretty much every winger in his pocket for pace, except for Lennon, but we all know that he starts at top speed, so no great surprise there. Rio for instance was unbelieavably fast, as is Smalling and Varane. Varane easily outpaced Messi for instance.

prarek

Do you have the clip? Alba is fast, but I doubt that he would win a sprint against Ronaldo tbf. Have you ever noticed how no defenders ever rank on that list? Evra at his prime outpaced Robben with relative ease and had pretty much every winger in his pocket for pace, except for Lennon, but we all know that he starts at top speed, so no great surprise there. Rio for instance was unbelieavably fast, as is Smalling and Varane. Varane easily outpaced Messi for instance.
I don't have the clip, it was in a game last season. I wouldn't take that list seriously at all. There's no way Rooney is faster than Young. Varane has great pace though, probably as fast as Bale.

Rossa

I don't have the clip, it was in a game last season. I wouldn't take that list seriously at all. There's no way Rooney is faster than Young. Varane has great pace though, probably as fast as Bale.
Young, Di Maria, Smalling, Shaw, Wilson and Rafael are all faster than Rooney. I would imagine Jones being faster as well. They say Smalling is our fastest; I have yet to see him lose a footrace except against Benteke when Smalling had just come back from an injury. Have never seen Valencia lose one either.

Loublaze

ATLien
These lists are always rubbish.
You just don't understand it. This is about top speed recorded in a competitive match. If Ronaldo is capable of say 36 km/h but only managed a top speed of 34 all season then 34 will go on record. The results would be different if you put all these players on a track

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They don't have access to these numbers. It's probably based on some random numbers given in the previous years. Players like Rooney and Lennon have lost pace.

prarek

Young, Di Maria, Smalling, Shaw, Wilson and Rafael are all faster than Rooney. I would imagine Jones being faster as well. They say Smalling is our fastest; I have yet to see him lose a footrace except against Benteke when Smalling had just come back from an injury. Have never seen Valencia lose one either.
Smalling has a big leap so that probably helps especially in short distances.

ChaddyP

Apparently Bellerin is super fast, fastest in Arsenal's team. They say his speed over 40 metres is quicker than Bolt's first 40 metres in his 100m sprint

yes he can run faster at full tilt over 40 meters than Usain Bolt can do 40 meters from a standing start. :lol:

Never understood why they compare the two like that. its like saying a Lada can do 40 meters faster than a ferrari if the lada was already doing 60 mph when the measuring took place and the ferrari had to start from a dig.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You just don't understand it. This is about top speed recorded in a competitive match. If Ronaldo is capable of say 36 km/h but only managed a top speed of 34 all season then 34 will go on record. The results would be different if you put all these players on a track
Yeah I'm not saying they're publishing something shady but it's clearly rubbish to call someone the fastest when he gets out sprinted by loads of people week in week out but once managed this really great run. How relevant is top speed? It's not even relevant in track and field forget football.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yeah I'm not saying they're publishing something shady but it's clearly rubbish to call someone the fastest when he gets out sprinted by loads of people week in week out but once managed this really great run. How relevant is top speed? It's not even relevant in track and field forget football.
Top speed is the only thing that is taken into account in football for studies like these. It could be the difference in a goalscoring opportunity in a foot race between players, or a goal saving act. If player A hits a higher speed than player B in a football game its only fair to say he's faster. Its more than fair, its accurate/factual. This is how it works in football because the top speed you can reach in a track race is irrelevant if you can't replicate it on a football field with different factors coming into play.

Last edited:

prarek

This guy is faster than Valencia. But i guess he isn't a big enough name to attract link clicks.

Valencia’s Sofiane Feghouli is officially La Liga’s fastest player

The Algerian international holds the top speed record in La Liga

Valencia CF player Sofiane Feghouli has been officially recognised as the fastest player in La Liga. The 25-year-old Algerian can reach a top speed of 35.53km/h, beating Almeria player Michel who sits second with 35.42 km/h. Malaga player Boka lies third with 35.2 km/h. In an interview with VCFplay Feghouli explains the secret of his mark and how he works on it on a daily basis to keep on improving it.

http://en.valenciacf.com/ver/39627/the-secrets-of-feghoulis-top-speed.html

Ish

Lights on for Luke
This guy is faster than Valencia. But i guess he isn't a big enough name to attract link clicks.

Valencia’s Sofiane Feghouli is officially La Liga’s fastest player

The Algerian international holds the top speed record in La Liga

Valencia CF player Sofiane Feghouli has been officially recognised as the fastest player in La Liga. The 25-year-old Algerian can reach a top speed of 35.53km/h, beating Almeria player Michel who sits second with 35.42 km/h. Malaga player Boka lies third with 35.2 km/h. In an interview with VCFplay Feghouli explains the secret of his mark and how he works on it on a daily basis to keep on improving it.

http://en.valenciacf.com/ver/39627/the-secrets-of-feghoulis-top-speed.html
But....but....FIFA said otherwise! :(

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
I wonder how Neymar ranks in these, he seems pretty fast with the ball and changing directions.

birdy2121

I think that's right. It's why Spain were shite for so long playing with all of those slow, weak midgets like Iniesta, Silva and Xavi.
Weak and slow are not words for the spain players you list. They have lightening feet and speed over 3 years to brake into space.