Music Favourite Cover Songs

Acole9

Outstanding

Another cover better than the original in my opinion.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hendrix and Watchtower has been mentioned already, of course, and rightly so – one of the prime examples of the cover being better than the original.

But I'd like to add Dylan himself, fecking up the ultimate macho boast of Bo Diddley (who stole the main part of the thing from Muddy Waters, but ingeniously so), turning “I'm A Man” into some sort of...something, but in the form of one hell of a track, sung by an old joker so ironic he's almost eaten up by it (but not quite): "Early Roman Kings".

(Could only find a working live version on YouTube - the album version is better, so check that out if you're interested).

Also, a double bill, if you will: Elvis doing “Unchained Melody” as a very much unintended (we have to believe) parody of himself, somehow managing to sound more dignified than all the kings and queens of England in a performance Peter Guralnick once described very well as a moment of grotesque transcendence – and the Pet Shop Boys doing a better job than the King on “Always On My Mind”, unleashing the potential of that number in a way which can only be described as very satisfying.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Bowies passing brought me back to this which is simply one of the best covers ever.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
and someone already mentioned Where did you sleep last night from Nirvana.

Brocky

I love watching Lissie sing, so that might have swayed my opinion a bit when it comes to this cover of 'Nothing Else Matters'

Petshop Boys 'Always On My Mind' best cover and best Christmas number one. Ever.
Lissie's version of 'Go your Own Way' is great. Not quite as good as the original, but still very good. She has a brilliant voice.

justboy68

It's actually a cover of two songs, but it's great:

also I really like this and think it's better than the original:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
My wife walked down the aisle to this at our wedding. Always loved the original too but this holds special memories for me now.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
There have been a few good covers of Neil Young - St Etienne's version of 'Only Love Will Break Your Heart' went somewhere new without losing the magic of the original.
The Pixies also did good covers of 'Winterlong' and 'I've Been Waiting For You.

Aside from those, Nirvana's 'Man Who Sold the World' and 'Where Did you Sleep last Night?' were both absolutely brilliant.

Isaac Hayes version of 'Walk On By' is fantastic.

The Byrds Mr Tambourine Man was great.

I'm sure there are loads more.

JmRssll555

@Ivor Ballokov and @Tommy, you both might appreciate this. The Enemy covering A New England. I like it more than the Jamie T version, but I think both their version and Jamie T's are better than the original, to be honest.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Too much for me, honestly :) And as good as the Jamie T version is, I'm giving it to Billy all day long.

The best cover on a studio album...

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Now that we've been talking a fair bit about Bowie.

Would 'Oh! You Pretty Things' count as well? Bowie wrote it but someone else played it first or something.

This by Hot Chip is cool as.

And this shit.

EDIT: James Blake's got a couple of good ones as well.

Last edited:

Halftrack

Johnny Cash - Hurt
Johnny Cash did some incredible covers towards the end of his career but his cover of Desperado by The Eagles is probably my favourite of the lot.
As a massive Soundgarden fan, his cover of Rusty Cage is probably my favorite.

Then there's one of my favorite covers of all time, Rage Against the Machine's cover of Bob Dylan's Maggie's Farm.

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF
bob hund's cover of Pere Ubu's Final Solution -- Ett Fall och en Lösning

From 4th December here in Stockholm; holy shit were they ever brilliant! :angel:

Wow, thanks for that. I love bob hund and had no idea this song was a cover!

One of my theses was called "Ett fall och en lösning" as an homage! :) My social law professor was a big fan as well.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Supersuckers do Merle Haggard

and then Thin Lizzy

Saw these live many times. Tightest band I've ever seen.

Member 39557

Supersuckers do Merle Haggard

Saw these live many times. Tightest band I've ever seen.
I saw them live once at a festival, I'm not a fan but they were very good live to be fair. I think they were touring The Evil Powers Of Rock & Roll.