FC Bayern 16/17 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
The thing is, we already have replaced Ribery and I would say we are doing well. He isn't an integral part of the team anymore, injured way too often.
That's not what I meant. That's phasing out players. I mean player of Ribery quality on wings.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There's not that much of a difference between those two. I like the 2010 one better though, he was more raw back then and more spectacular.
He was not a world class difference maker in 2010, not at the highest level. He was in 2013

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He was not a world class difference maker in 2010, not at the highest level. He was in 2013
12/13 was his best season and everything came together for the team, but Ribery was pretty much world class from the moment he joined Bayern. His first season with us was absolutely spectacular, just the team wasn't nowhere good enough to challenge in the CL. I probably enjoyed watching the younger version of him even more, he was a bit more playful and less intense than from 2010 onwards.

I also disagree with @fcbforever that we've already replaced him. We're doing okay without him at the moment, but we're still better with him in the team. If he's healthy, he starts despite his age. There's a reason for that.

Blackwidow

Oh - he was great with Hitzfeld, ok with Pep and van Gaal, world class in the Heynckes years.

I do not think Coman is worse than Sane - he had injury problems at the beginning of the season and Ancelotti does not like young players. And that solves the question about a buy of Sane very good... - he would not have gotten the trust and playing time he has with Pep...

Look at how much playing time Kimmich gets - and that not even on the 6 or as right full back...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
12/13 was his best season and everything came together for the team, but Ribery was pretty much world class from the moment he joined Bayern. His first season with us was absolutely spectacular, just the team wasn't nowhere good enough to challenge in the CL.
What i meant was until 2012 he wasn't consistently making a difference at the highest level. You could compare him to hazard. Then in 2012 he finally took that final step and went from world class to Top 5 player in the world

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I do not think Coman is worse than Sane - he had injury problems at the beginning of the season and Ancelotti does not like young players. And that solves the question about a buy of Sane very good... - he would not have gotten the trust and playing time he has with Pep...

Look at how much playing time Kimmich gets - and that not even on the 6 or as right full back...
Ancelotti doesn't like to rotate and he will play the best players most of the time. It's got nothing to do with age. If Coman was better than Ribery he'd play

Blackwidow

Ancelotti doesn't like to rotate and he will play the best players most of the time. It's got nothing to do with age. If Coman was better than Ribery he'd play
Does not help us if the future is Kimmich and Coman etc. - who all have proved to be able to play on a high level. I can understand not playing them in the top matches - Pep did not do that either - but we lead the Bundesliga with 10 (before with 7) points. Barcelona has lost Thiago because of a similar team tactics - I just do not like that.

Blackwidow

Has been floating around for a while, it seems there really is interes. I just don't know why
Not me either. And in my eyes we have enough South Americans or spanish speaking players right now. It gets too easy for them to get around learning German and you start to see groups in a way you haven't seen it the recent years. I prefer to have a mix of nationalities with a base of Germans. It is not like 10 years ago when there weren't any German young players of a high quality.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Has been floating around for a while, it seems there really is interes. I just don't know why
With Alonso gone, there's a gap in our midfield. There are 2 possible solutions to tackle the matter: Shift Thiago back, and buy a #10, or leave Thiago where he is, and buy a #6. WC DLPs are an extemely rare commodity in the current market(there are only 3, Verratti, Kroos, Modric), so getting a suitable AM seems far easier.
James is unhappy with his bench warmer status, Carlo holds him in high regards, and vice versa. I'd welcome his signing if we can get him for an acceptable fee of around 50m. Real still owes us one for shipping Toni over for scraps anyway.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
In 2012-13 Javi Martinez was the best defensive midfielder in the world. It's a pity that injuries have slowed him down so much. He's still only 28 though.

Does he play DM at all anymore or has he been permanently shifted to CB?

Also, is Kimmich being groomed to be a midfielder or a right back? I have heard him being called Lahm's replacement, but every time I see him play it's in midfield.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
In 2012-13 Javi Martinez was the best defensive midfielder in the world. It's a pity that injuries have slowed him down so much. He's still only 28 though.

Also, is Kimmich being groomed to be a midfielder or a right back?
Javi is a permanent CB for us atm. Can't complain though, he's back to his old level. We were missing Boateng for months, but thanks to Javi we didn't suffer from it. Things could change next season with Alonso gone, and Süle coming in as an additional CB. Wouldn't be a surprise to see Javi playing as DM again.
As for Kimmich, right now he's being groomed as a leather comfy chair tester. Jokes aside, he'll most likely be our RB next season.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München

Also, is Kimmich being groomed to be a midfielder or a right back? I have heard him being called Lahm's replacement, but every time I see him play it's in midfield.
There's perennial speculation, mixed with wishful thinking, among Bayern fans that Carlo will use Javi as midfielder again in the future, either now that Boateng is back or next season when Alonso is retired and Süle has come in as another CB.
So far however it has to be clearly stated that Carlo has not used Javi in midfield once, not for one minute. He seems to have been Carlo's CB choice no. 1 this season, on the other hand. He has played consistently well and his return to form has been one of the best things about this season.

As for Kimmich, similar situation. Always speculation about Kimmich to be groomed as RB, 'Lahm's successor'. It's a Bavarian fairy tale that Carlo is not buying into if you ask me. He has been exclusively played in midfield, despite Rummenigge's proclamations.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
As for Kimmich, similar situation. Always speculation about Kimmich to be groomed as RB, 'Lahm's successor'. It's a Bavarian fairy tale that Carlo is not buying into if you ask me. He has been exclusively played in midfield, despite Rummenigge's proclamations.
And who would that RB signing be? I don't see anyone who'd be good enough and attainable.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He's not a winger, is he?
No, he's not that quick. He's a CAM that can switch to several positions situationally, but his skillset is best suited for central positions.

He has quite often played on the wings for Real Madrid though, but that is because of some special circumstances there. I think that Ancelotti would most likely see him as the most advanced player in a midfield three at Bayern. They got along fine in 2014/15, which was James' best season at Real.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I am not even sure that I'd call James a midfielder. Imo more of a second striker. One of the best finisher from outside the box, but overall I don't see the point in getting him. We have Müller, who is overall better.

Hojoon

Javi Martinez and Mascherano could have cemented themselves as two of the best DMs this decade with their defensive abilities but have both instead spent their best years playing at CB. They're still extremely successful and have put in great performances at CB but there's a 'what could have been', at least for fans when discussing best players in certain positions.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Javi Martinez and Mascherano could have cemented themselves as two of the best DMs this decade with their defensive abilities but have both instead spent their best years playing at CB. They're still extremely successful and have put in great performances at CB but there's a 'what could have been', at least for fans when discussing best players in certain positions.
That was always going to be the case especially since they were both under Pep. Martinez and Masherano only really work well in a double pivot with a passer next to them. In teams that build from the bac like Barca and Bayern do you would want a passer as your deepest midfielder not a destroyer.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I also don't think there's a slot waiting for James in our team, and I don't think the players we have there should be replaced, especially at the price we'd have to pay for him.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I also don't think there's a slot waiting for James in our team, and I don't think the players we have there should be replaced, especially at the price we'd have to pay for him.
Whether it's going to be James or someone else, we are in need of another source of creativity in our central midfield. If Thiago gets injured, we're pretty much fecked.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I actually like him, wouldn't mind it. Though it'll make life even more difficult for Müller, who finally looks like he's getting back into great form after being awful in 2016. But I much prefer Thiago next to Vidal a bit deeper in midfield and signing James would probably make sure that this would be Ancelotti's main central midfield next season.

Outside of the obvious top players at Bayern this season, anyone else thinking that Alaba has finally got back to his best? After his initial heroics under Guardiola, he really struggled for a bit too long after his two big injuries. The way he's playing at the moment, he's comfortably the best leftback in the world again. And I absolutely love watching him play, when he's in form.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I actually like him, wouldn't mind it. Though it'll make life even more difficult for Müller, who finally looks like he's getting back into great form after being awful in 2016.
If you were to get james, muller would shift to the left, sort of a false LW, like cristiano with madrid. Basically a second striker starting from wide. Robben would stick on the right while james, muller and lewa move freely and interchange positions

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
The way he's playing at the moment, he's comfortably the best leftback in the world again. And I absolutely love watching him play, when he's in form.
I reserve judgment on this until he gets tested against top flight opposition.

If you were to get james, muller would shift to the left, sort of a false LW, like cristiano with madrid. Basically a second striker starting from wide. Robben would stick on the right while james, muller and lewa move freely and interchange positions
Müller on LW has never worked for us. We need proper wingers for our game to flourish.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
And who would that RB signing be? I don't see anyone who'd be good enough and attainable.
I don't know either.
I feel like we've been at this point of the discussion before, somewhere a few pages ago, and I don't think we'll get further in our arguments this time around.

My point is merely that I'm highly sceptical of the 'Kimmich the destined Lahm successor' narrative. Not because I don't like it, but because I like it too much.
It's wishful thinking at this point, because it corresponds more to what we think, and hope, should work out than to what evidence we can see in things that have happened on the pitch.

On the pitch, in reality, Kimmich has virtually never been used as a right back for us (maybe once?), neither by Pep or by Carlo. He's here almost 2 years, mind you.
And since he virtually hasn't played the position, we have virtually no actual evidence that he can play it. (Some of us, me included, had the same wishful thinking with Rode, in the end he played RB maybe twice including the shocker against Wolfsburg..)

Yes, Kimmich has played RB in a handful of NT games now, and he did well.
But first of all, NT football is a different level of football, and secondly, that too were only few games to judge from.

With that logic, there's surely a number of RBs out there who've shown more high level right back performances in real life than Kimmich has shown.

As I said before, and i will leave it at that, I'm happy for us to try, if miraculously Carlo all of sudden sees Kimmich as a RB (though I suspect if he does, it's less miraculously than ordered from above which is a problem in itself). He's our kid, he's a good kid, and I will be happy wherever and whenever he plays.
But let's not pretend like it is a no-brainer.

Let's also not forget we added Rudy, and have recently briefed the media that '€20m for Henrichs is too expensive' (this kind of media leak reallly gets on my fecking nerves :lol: ).
It smacks of us trying to construct on whole Lahm by adding together three parts of one Rafinha, one Rudy and one Kimmich each.

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
Of course Henrichs is too expensive to get, cos Leverkusen are not interested to sell and Henrichs doesnt want to leave and only a fantasy sum could change Völlers mind and I m not talking about 30-40m€ here.

The thought of Leverkusen demanding just 20m€ is highly entertaining and really made me chuckle. Whoever invented this number has either a good sense of humor or is just clueless.

Wiesenlooser

Supports
Bayern Munich
To me, the best player will always be Roy Makaay. Honestly, have never seen a player who was as old as this guy. it seemed like he never needed more than half of a chance to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.