FC Bayern 17/18 discussion

Silas

. . . and players 5/6 years younger than him (Muller, Lewi. . .) gave a heck of a lot less.

Let's not be ageist here.
It's moreso to do with the fact that he could decline pretty badly in the near future. They'll need to replace him sooner or later and it would definitely make sense to bring someone in before the decline actually occurs, or else they'll face the risk of panic buying. Successor is probably a more apt word than replacement.

belanglos

Supports
Bayern München
Can't be that mad going out with this performance. Shame we didn't score a 3rd one. 2 fatal mistakes against Real in both legs, but still overall 2 great games. On Reals side only Modric played a good game imo (and the keeper ofc).

How do the objective viewers out here review the performance of the referee?

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
We already have Coman and Gnabry is also coming who is having a great 2nd half of the season.

Javi

They have Coman for the wing. He was looking very good until his injury. Would have probably been fit for the CL final, too.
His decision making improved by miles under Heynckes this season.
So they have Ribery and Robben that - due to injuries - count as one player (and not a starter at that) and ... Coman? Müller can play wing too, but they are two players short there. Should add another CB at least also/or a CDM if they want Martínez at the back again.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Dominated the 2 legs, but lost because of their wastefulness in front of goal.

Oh, and their goalkeeper deciding that it was a good idea to give Madrid a freebie :lol:

Good team still though, but they're going to have a tough replacing Robbery due to the market prices and death of quality.

I never followed the Bundesliga, so only saw Costa in the UCL, but i always felt they should have held on to him. I'm a big fan of his. But i'm guessing he was too inconsistent for them to hold on to him.

Also, would love Thiago at United. :drool:

el3mel

Oh, and their goalkeeper deciding that it was a good idea to give Madrid a freebie :lol:

Good team still though, but they're going to have a tough replacing Robbery due to the market prices and death of quality.

I never followed the Bundesliga, so only saw Costa in the UCL, but i always felt they should have held on to him. I'm a big fan of his. But i'm guessing he was too inconsistent for them to hold on to him.

Costa is on loan IIRC.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
So they have Ribery and Robben that - due to injuries - count as one player (and not a starter at that) and ... Coman? Müller can play wing too, but they are two players short there. Should add another CB at least also/or a CDM if they want Martínez at the back again.
They have Gnabry, who is having a good Buli season, but will never reach Robben/Ribery level. They need to spend big time and keep the rest together.

Trizy

Bayern hammered Madrid for that entire match, but you need luck in the CL.

Beautiful team to watch tonight.

Javi

They have Gnabry, who is having a good Buli season, but will never reach Robben/Ribery level. They need to spend big time and keep the rest together.
Right, forgot about him. Let's see what he can do. Agree with the second bit, the issue is that Hoeness is not that kind of guy (by his own statements) and that just recently I heard Boateng and Alaba having doubts about their Bayern future. Lewandowski too, so interesting times indeed for Bayern.

Canagel

He is seriously good. Just keeps things ticking over in midfield. If I could take any players from Bayern for our team I'd take him and Alaba. Both the best in their positions.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He is seriously good. Just keeps things ticking over in midfield. If I could take any players from Bayern for our team I'd take him and Alaba. Both the best in their positions.
100% with you there abdo. He’d be perfect next to Matic and Pogba, IMO.

Barca must regret losing him over not being able to guarantee him minutes. Would have been as good a Xavi replacement they could have hoped for.

Canagel

100% with you there abdo. He’d be perfect next to Matic and Pogba, IMO.

Barca must regret losing him over not being able to guarantee him minutes. Would have been as good a Xavi replacement they could have hoped for.
I read on Sky that Man City are interested in him this sumner. Pretty obvious because of the Pep connection. We have really no chance if they come in for him. He turned us down in 2013 to rejoin Pep at Bayern so it would be stupid to expect anything different this time. It would be so depressing if he went there though. He's just going to make their already World Class midfield even better. We need players like him to be able to compete with City and the likes of Real, Barca etc otherwise it's just going to be even more difficult to return to where we want to be which is winning titles and challenging for the CL.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Boateng, Neuer, Robben injured, gifted Madrid 2 goals in the tie, didn't get the calls their way and still much better side... Would be massively disappointed if I was Bayern fan. Thought it was still an impressive performance and I cheered for them as I think they are far more equipped to deal with Liverpool (along with having a soft spot for Jupp).

Alexit

Can't be that mad going out with this performance. Shame we didn't score a 3rd one. 2 fatal mistakes against Real in both legs, but still overall 2 great games. On Reals side only Modric played a good game imo (and the keeper ofc).

How do the objective viewers out here review the performance of the referee?
Thought he let a lot go on both sides. I think he did a good job actually.

Bayern's mistakes and lack of proper finishing ultimately cost them. Hope Real and finish off this amazing run with a third UCL win on the trot.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I read on Sky that Man City are interested in him this sumner. Pretty obvious because of the Pep connection. We have really no chance if they come in for him. He turned us down in 2013 to rejoin Pep at Bayern so it would be stupid to expect anything different this time. It would be so depressing if he went there though. He's just going to make their already World Class midfield even better. We need players like him to be able to compete with City and the likes of Real, Barca etc otherwise it's just going to be even more difficult to return to where we want to be which is winning titles and challenging for the CL.
Absolutely. I guess our only other hope then is, he either stays at Bayern or prefers to go to Barca. But I agree with you, he’s quality, albeit a tad bit injured iirc.
Boateng, Neuer, Robben injured, gifted Madrid 2 goals in the tie, didn't get the calls their way and still much better side... Would be massively disappointed if I was Bayern fan. Thought it was still an impressive performance and I cheered for them as I think they are far more equipped to deal with Liverpool (along with having a soft spot for Jupp).
Same for me.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
My opinion. Bayerns game was far from being perfect, but it is a bit hilarious to take that as a sign of Reals class. They didn't let Rib slice through 2-3 men like 6-7 times on purpose. They didn't allow numerous short crosses through their pen box on purpose.
Real played (possibly better) football until the 1-0 - in that phase, it looked as if they played with one man more on the pitch. After the goal, they positively crumbled and were visibly rattled, they could have conceived 1-2 more, until the more or less random equalizer happened. In that phase, they tried to come to grips by their usual tricks, taking injury time etc, just to break Bayerns momentum. that was in the first half, still.
90% of the second half was a match on one goal. Without many100% opportunities, granted, but still. I doubt that was Reals match plan.

For Bayerns performance in this match, the gap between world beater and pub team were 2 missed chances and a misplaced midfield pass.
That doesn't really make things better, now does it? Bayern should've won this tier over two legs. They can do it. But they didn't. Once more. Second leg looked promising, but then they got stage fright? When did you see Bayern be so hasty in passing, so risky, almost to the point of being suicidal? They didn't feel in control at any point in time, although they clearly were. I'll reiterate, I think it's a mentality problem of the players.

This second leg was suspiciously clean as far as foul play went, by the way. I'm not even blaming the ref for that penalty situation. It may have been one, it may not. But I'm only slightly exaggurating when I say I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at Lewa missing a pen for the first time this season if it had been called. But... I'm not super disappointed. It's okay to go out in the semis. I'll be frank though, the season is over for me now. I'll watch the rest of the games, but I'll not skip a heartbeat over anything that's coming.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

I guess you guys should talk about this. I really do not think is as crazy as it sounds. I really do not think there is many obvious holes in this squad. They could use another Left Footed inside forward type to be the long term replacement for Robben and it seems like they made a big bid for Leon Bailey that did not come off. And I guess they could try for Malcom from Bordeaux or David Neres from Ajax but, they also have players like Coman, Muller and Gnarby who are right footed but, can play well on the right. But, other than that there is not really any pressing issues for this squad.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München

I guess you guys should talk about this. I really do not think is as crazy as it sounds. I really do not think there is many obvious holes in this squad. They could use another Left Footed inside forward type to be the long term replacement for Robben and it seems like they made a big bid for Leon Bailey that did not come off. And I guess they could try for Malcom from Bordeaux or David Neres from Ajax but, they also have players like Coman, Muller and Gnarby who are right footed but, can play well on the right. But, other than that there is not really any pressing issues for this squad.
Statements like this from Hoeneß have an expiration date, its tradition.
In this case, it lasted until Rummenigge said at the same event "We do have a strong team but i can not predict what will happen when the transfer window opens in two weeks. There has not been a final decision about us getting active on the market"

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah I guess that this statement would've sort of made sense if Jupp was staying and building something for years, cannot really see Kovac coming in and board not backing him at all.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Great to see how their glorious "Jupp is back, we gonna win the triple now" agenda ended in yet another CL semi-final exit and a loss in the cup final against freaking Frankfurt:devil:

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Yeah I guess that this statement would've sort of made sense if Jupp was staying and building something for years, cannot really see Kovac coming in and board not backing him at all.
Don't know if Kovac will present a list of players to be bought. He isn't a star coach who has to be mollycoddled, basicly he has to be grateful to be given that opportunity (an inherent problem in itself).
I think Rummenigge knows there may be players wanting out and with the worlds craziest player market startin on June 16th, god only knows what will happen.
also, Bayern played their cards *very* close to their chests recently. Wouldn't be surprised if the statement was Hoeneß' idea of being sly.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Great to see how their glorious "Jupp is back, we gonna win the triple now" agenda ended in yet another CL semi-final exit and a loss in the cup final against freaking Frankfurt:devil:
Errrr what? Nobody expected us to go that far and look the better team against Madrid when Jupp was hired. We did reasonably well all things considered, we could (and should) have been in the CL final after those two legs against Madrid which were the best by far since Jupp retired with the worst squad since then. We lost the final because of a ref mistake that wouldn't have happened in 99 out of 100 other games. All things considered I'm pretty happy with the season despite only winning the league.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
I don't really understand their current business model though. They end up with a huge profit year after year and they're always unwilling to invest. They should have enough money on their infamous bank account so why don't they spend the profits instead of having to pay taxes every time?
Now that the Bundesliga has 4 guaranteed CL spots the chances of them missing out on CL money is virtually nil so even on off years they'll still earn enough.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I don't really understand their current business model though. They end up with a huge profit year after year and they're always unwilling to invest. They should have enough money on their infamous bank account so why don't they spend the profits instead of having to pay taxes every time?
Now that the Bundesliga has 4 guaranteed CL spots the chances of them missing out on CL money is virtually nil so even on off years they'll still earn enough.
Our business model is whatever old and senile Hoeneß wants at the moment. It’s like a lighter version of Trump. If Hoeneß thinks it’ll make him look good, he’ll do or say it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
To require backing Kovac would have to make demands and I don't see him in a position to do so at the moment. Whoever does the transfer strategy at Bayern these days (Salihamidzic?) will ask him about his opinions, but I reckon in the end the club will decide who gets sold and who gets bought and Kovac will have to coach the squad his bosses build.

What are they supposed to do? Having a spare €220m in the bank is a lot of money for a Bundesliga club, but on the European scale that's "only" like 2 big transfers.
Aside from Robben's or Ribery's age I don't really see a lot of room for upgrades in their squad and Elite wingers don't exactly grow on trees. So I think it's sort of understandable (depending on how highly one rates Coman and Gnabry) if they wait another year before they blow half their savings on a player that might not convince them a 100% just so they can stick Ribery and/or Robben on the bench.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Bayern's financial approach was always quite conservative. Hoeneß and co. like to criticize their fellow European top clubs for spending too much money and having liabilities and many fans believe it. In fact and from an accounting perspective you could actually argue that they are making losses through opportunity costs by refusing to spend their saved capital. On the other hand one has to admit that it always saved them from any kind of financial trouble in contrast to other European clubs. Personally I still feel that their investment strategy is too defensive.

However, from time to time they open their minds and give in a little bit. I actually think that their most important transfers in the last 15 years were Franck Ribery and Luca Toni. For me, Robben was their best player in their era of dominance but those two transfers started everything and marked a turning point in Bayern's approach. Before that they always targeted the best players in the Bundesliga but ever since they also bring in European top players.

Yet, I doubt that we will see mch of that now that Hoeneß is back and more conservative and stubborn than ever. There will be a focus on German players again and he will support his personal followers such as Salihamidzic, Kovac etc. while undermining those who challenge his leadership and want to initiate changes, such as Lahm, Sammer or Guardiola. A toxic environment for both the club and the league. Hoeneß is unfortunately the perfect example of a hero living long enough to inevitably become the villain.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Uli Hoeness has said there won't be much activity. How can that be when some key players might leave?

Abizzz

Uli Hoeness has said there won't be much activity. How can that be when some key players might leave?
Don't take him by his word. He might be saying it for political reasons and they will still go out buying players in the 30-50 million bracket. It's very early in the transfer window and Honeß is capable of changing his mind twice within a week.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
2 of those are midfielders and Bayern have too many of them already so they won‘t be replaced. They would still have James, Tolisso, Goretzka, Martinez and Rudy for 2 positions if you assume Muller takes the spot behind the striker like he usually does.

Boateng would be replaced by Kevin Vogt for 25m from Hoffenheim and Bernat is 3rd choice at LB behind Alaba and Rafinha, so he will be replaced at best by another cheap player.

The Bayern squad is fairly big these days and would only see big spending if Lewandowski leaves, but I don‘t believe they will allow that.

Blackwidow

9 midfielders for 3 spots in which most of them have the demand to play the big matches:

Tolisso, Goretzka, Thiago, Vidal, Sanches, Rudy, James, Müller, Martinez...