FC Bayern 17/18 discussion

Blackwidow

Hasn't he been generally having one of his best seasons?
He had a good preparation. But then got injured starting October and got back December. Needed some time to get back into shape - and sometimes you think that he is spent after 60 minutes - but lately he gets better and better again. In the last weeks it is more that Robben does not seem to be in shape. The injury today was not really surprising.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was only half watching but I thought James Rodriguez was excellent.

Theonas

Scout
He had a good preparation. But then got injured starting October and got back December. Needed some time to get back into shape - and sometimes you think that he is spent after 60 minutes - but lately he gets better and better again. In the last weeks it is more that Robben does not seem to be in shape. The injury today was not really surprising.
Yea that's the impression I had about Robben as well. I still think there is one more season in him though but we'll see.

automaticflare

I don't understand this choking by Bayern against Real. I was expecting Bayern to spank them last two season but opposite is happening. You can bet Bayern is gonna give them hell in the rematch however they gotta convert some of the chances.

Bayern Munich are biggest underachieves in UCL last two seasons.
Most teams do. No matter what anyone says there is a prestige around Madrid and Barca which no one else in Europe has

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
shhh, don't let some sense dictate your thinking. Just act like a twat with an inferiority complex, supporting a former big club with an annoying manager who's playing shitty football.
:lol:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Boateng is not only injured, he is also openly talking about leaving Bayern, as is being reported just now. Maybe he won't even play another match for Bayern.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Will Vidal be back next week?

Chiken138

Supports
FC Bayern München
The Problem nowadays is that English clubs seems to outbid Bayern and they haven't a free ride in their league. Back in their days they would snap the best players in the league. Suddenly City Liverpool etc are snapping them

For example they wanted de bruyne and City came and just outbid them, same goes for Leroy Sane. Keita was another one but suddenly Liverpool offered 75M for him

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
Bayern still has a pulling power in Germany. They've already got Goretzka for free, though many other clubs (including us) were interested. They are also linked with Can, and Bale recently mentioned he's happy being on radars of such a club. Bayern will be fine, they were unlucky yesterday with injuries. They had three times more moments than Real, Lewa should have scored, second goal was a laughable gift from Rafinia. The result does not represent the power.

Ribery is such a great player though, always liked him.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
For example they wanted de bruyne and City came and just outbid them, same goes for Leroy Sane. Keita was another one but suddenly Liverpool offered 75M for him
Pep was the driving force behind the interest in Sane, when Pep announced his move to city, the interest in Sane faded. Not sure if there ever was even an offer on the table.

Bayern wanted de Bruyne but didn't want to pay the price, true. Respectively, with their self-perception as being the natural first choice want-to-go-to club in the universe, they hate being played against other clubs for more $$$. See Diego, see Vidal Leverkusen-Juve.

With Keita, the player was interested but Leipzig wanted to keep him for another year, so Bayern withdrew. One might argue such a thing hasn't stopped Bayern in the past with other players, but i don't think he was rated high enough to risk the good relationship with Red Bull - there is a close cooperation, they are going to build a Basketball/Hockey hall together in munich.

Canagel

Still one of the funniest goal celebrations I've seen.

Only time I've been angry at Robben for scoring too.
:lol: I'm still angry that we left him in acres of space and nobody closed him down. Carrick's attempt to block was a joke. Was a great strike but such a cheap goal to concede.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Boateng is not only injured, he is also openly talking about leaving Bayern, as is being reported just now. Maybe he won't even play another match for Bayern.
Have there been any solid links? City return? At his best, imo the best defender in the world.

Dr. StrangeHate

They have Robben, Coman, Vidal, Alaba, Boateng and Neuer out. With that sort of talent out you cant compete against Real Madrid. It is just as simple as that.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
If Boateng does want to leave, united should definitely be in for him. There aren't many better ball playing center backs around. 40-50m would be a decent fee for him.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
It doesn't matter if those players are in or out. What matters is that you can't compete against Real if you cock up like yesterday. Not doing that extra step, not really interested in intercepting, being too tired, letting dicks foul you... Bayern presented their usual self: Not really bad, but not really with the last bit of determination... I knew this would happen, because this happens every single time they play against a big name. And now they'll give up all caution in Madrid and suddenly they can dominate even Madrid. Only they need 2 goals and that's never guaranteed. 3 goals would be better. But to score three goals in Madrid, you have to break Madrid. Good luck with that Bayern.

So pissed, always the same... win Bundesliga by a mile and then lose CL. Utter piece of shit league Bundesliga is. No challenge whatsoever. No tension for Bayern. They should just join another league, really.

This, btw, is the bit where people think Bayern fans are arrogant. No, we're not. But tell me the Bundesliga isn't utter shit in all earnestness? The second you step outside the domestic league, German clubs are buttfecked internationally and whinge about the workload of three competitions... really? What the feck are you on about? Everyone wants that. Stop whinging and do your job, fecksake. :P

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I don't understand all the doom and gloom. Losing 1:2 to Real Madrid in a CL semifinal is not the end of the world.

Rafinia with a massive mistake, the attackers were not clinical, all the injuries and Thiago not just with his normal disappearance act, but many missplaced passes. All things considered Bayern created more chances and has been the slightly better team, but missed to score another goal. Real can always score goals even if they are not playing great (Ronaldo, corners, Marcelo); scoring just once is not good enough in such a game. There is still everything to play for in the second leg.

There are some problems, that need to be adressed, but no reason for any kind of knee-jerk reactions.

#1 This squad is riddicoulous injury prone. Robben, Ribery, Boateng, Thiago, Coman, Vidal and Javi have all had many many injuries. Its not bad luck or the medical department. In recent times we had even more players who have this problem: Benatia, Rode, Götze. Its time to take this into consideration, when buying new players. I am not sure our management does that so. Isn't Goretzka fairly injury prone as well? Looking at his injury record while just being 23 years old doesn't fill me with any confidence.

17/18 Fußverletzung 01.03.2018 08.03.2018 7 Tage 1
17/18 Fußverletzung 22.02.2018 22.02.2018 0 Tage -
17/18 Hüftprobleme 29.01.2018 01.02.2018 3 Tage -
17/18 Stressreaktion des Knochens 04.12.2017 18.01.2018 45 Tage 5
17/18 Stressreaktion des Knochens 23.10.2017 23.11.2017 31 Tage 4
17/18 Erkältung 21.09.2017 21.09.2017 0 Tage -
16/17 Gehirnerschütterung 20.04.2017 24.04.2017 4 Tage 2
16/17 muskuläre Probleme 13.03.2017 13.03.2017 0 Tage -
16/17 Schulterverletzung 04.08.2016 29.08.2016 25 Tage 2
15/16 Schulterverletzung 04.04.2016 21.04.2016 17 Tage 2
15/16 Fußverletzung 21.03.2016 31.03.2016 10 Tage -
15/16 Schultereckgelenkssprengung 25.02.2016 14.03.2016 18 Tage 5
15/16 Wadenzerrung 22.02.2016 22.02.2016 0 Tage -
14/15 Oberschenkelprobleme 06.04.2015 09.04.2015 3 Tage -

#2 The team is still in the process of transitioning from the 2013 team to a new generation and this naturally not easy. It is a step down in terms of quality in various positions, because they replacements are just not up for it (or injury prone).
The defence is still great. We have imo three top class CBs and various very good fullbacks. We still have the problem with injury prone wingers, which forces the manager to always change things up. Its not great, but at this point it almost becomes part of the bayern identity. Simply because of this I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bale somehow manages to end up in Munich. :lol:
That said, the biggest problem is midfield. Javi is still great but he is a DM and we lack a proper playmaker. Thiago (not good enough), Tolisso (not sure about his role, position and quality. I won't rule him out, but I havn't see anything that convinces me that he becomes a top player for this team), Rudy (not good enough) and Vidal (injury prone, ageing = not consistent/reliable anymore; on a good day still our best midfielder) are all not consistent first team players. On the plus side, James is having a real impact in his new role as CM and looks class. He could be finally someone who is stepping up to the challange to take responsibilty away from some of the established players. That said James and Müller are the first players who are getting shifted around once injuries force the manager to make changes. He is imo Bayern's best player in the last month; maybe even for the whole season despite his slow start.

#3 1-3 good transfers could fix the problems. Here comes to problem: I don't trust the current management to do so and currently the lack of competition in the league is not going to push them to improve their decision making. They are getting away with "okayish" choices. Choices like Kovac and Goretzka.

btw: all these things continue to be valid even if Bayern manages to squeeze past Madrid and win the CL.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Really surprised by what i seen from Bayern last night. Haven't watched them all season but i've been reading and hearing that they haven't been at their best, but couldn't believe how bad they were. Seems like the squad needs a bit of a shake up. Shocking quality on the ball; especially from a team who i would associate with being confident and commanding in possession.

They've been so good over the years at that. Also not sure how much of a detriment that league is to them. I realise they've always been in it and that hasn't prevented them from winning the champions league before, but it can't help. It's a walk in the park for them and as a result the intensity and concentration just isn't there, surely.

Anyway, it all seems to be falling into place for those scouse cnuts. Typical. Of all the fecking seasons.

Chillosophy

Goddamit anyway. Madrid have been wank all season. How did Bayern let themselves get shit too? This fecking season is careering towards an absolute nightmare...
Anyway, it all seems to be falling into place for those scouse cnuts. Typical. Of all the fecking seasons.
Indeed, I shudder at the thought of those feckers winning the final :nervous:
Hopefully it'll be Roma - Bayern in Kiev in one months time :cool:

Cloud7

If Ribery scores that chance at 1-0 and it becomes 2-0, all of a sudden “Bayern are such a great well run club, can we tempt heynckes for two years at United” etc etc. If Muller scores that guilt edge chance to equalize, and I’m sure there was another “how did he not score that” moment as well, then the narrative becomes “the old fox does it again”

Instead, the players forget their finishing at home, and the narrative becomes “the league is so weak, that must be the reason that Bayern didn’t win”. Bayern had by far the better scoring chances. It’s such a tiresome reasoning that’s wheeled out year after year.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Bayern have lost 6 consecutive games against Madrid.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern

Bayern have lost 6 consecutive games against Madrid.
Yeah, I think we're finally done with the whole Bestia Negra silliness. Madrid used to have proper fear when playing Bayern. Now they see us the same as we see Sevilla. The Easy Draw. Disgusting.

Aboutreika18

Yeah, I think we're finally done with the whole Bestia Negra silliness. Madrid used to have proper fear when playing Bayern. Now they see us the same as we see Sevilla. The Easy Draw. Disgusting.
You can thank Guardiola and his suicidal tactics against Real in the 4-0 at the Allianz for that.

The aura was well and truly vanquished that night.

LoneStar

If Manchester United were in the Bundesliga, Bayern would still win it easily.
Yeah, because United would just let them hog up all the best talents in their league over the years.

The only way to measure their strength is in Europe, and expect for the treble season, they haven't really set the world on fire.

SRV

If Ribery scores that chance at 1-0 and it becomes 2-0, all of a sudden “Bayern are such a great well run club, can we tempt heynckes for two years at United” etc etc. If Muller scores that guilt edge chance to equalize, and I’m sure there was another “how did he not score that” moment as well, then the narrative becomes “the old fox does it again”

Instead, the players forget their finishing at home, and the narrative becomes “the league is so weak, that must be the reason that Bayern didn’t win”. Bayern had by far the better scoring chances. It’s such a tiresome reasoning that’s wheeled out year after year.
Spot on. I'm so tired of people jumping ship after every game. Bayern could've won this game yesterday 4-1, and everbody would be raving about how great they are. Instead people do now seriously claim that Bayern were terrible. It was super unlucky for them. If Ribery makes the 2-0, this game could've been a clinic by Bayern. I felt they played really well and I can still see them going to the finals, although Reals experience could makes this a really boring return leg.

The only thing that comes more and more apparent is that Lewandowski is not half the striker he thinks he is. I think Wagner would have the same amount of goals if he played for a whole season at Bayern. Plus Lewandowski basically demands that every sitter is passed to him so he can tip it in. I think his antics are a little too much for what he's providing. If any big club is willing to pay big bucks for him in the summer, sell him.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
You can thank Guardiola and his suicidal tactics against Real in the 4-0 at the Allianz for that.

The aura was well and truly vanquished that night.
yeah, it's still Pep's fault.

Bayern's fanbase is verging on self-parody right now. They got holy Heynckes again, the same issues get repeated year after year with every coach but it's still Pep's fault.

Javi

I felt they played really well and I can still see them going to the finals, although Reals experience could makes this a really boring return leg.
The only thing the return leg sure as hell won't be is boring.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale

Well said

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Agreed. Football is a results based business but it is surprising how often people ignore what happened in a game to base their conclusions entirely on a result. Bayern didn't do what would've normally been expected of them.

The main difference between Madrid and Bayern is that the chances Madrid had were dispatched. That in and of itself speaks to Madrid's mentality and why they are such a force in Europe. However, Bayern not being as able to cope with the occasion as Madrid is not evidence of some terminal decline.

There is no guarantee that Bayern won't go to Madrid and get a couple of goals either. Juve did and I do not believe Juventus are better than Bayern. The tie isn't over yet.

TheKaiser

Agreed. Football is a results based business but it is surprising how often people ignore what happened in a game to base their conclusions entirely on a result. Bayern didn't do what would've normally been expected of them.

The main difference between Madrid and Bayern is that the chances Madrid had were dispatched. That in and of itself speaks to Madrid's mentality and why they are such a force in Europe. However, Bayern not being as able to cope with the occasion as Madrid is not evidence of some terminal decline.

There is no guarantee that Bayern won't go to Madrid and get a couple of goals either. Juve did and I do not believe Juventus are better than Bayern. The tie isn't over yet.
The tie isn't over yet, but Bayern has to play without Neuer, Vidal, Coman, Boateng, probably Robben and maybe Alaba next week. That's 6 players of a potential starting eleven. The bad luck with injuries affecting the CL-playoffs each year is really ridiculous.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern

Did you watch a different game? Stopping the ball alone was a real problem for some Bayern players. Long passes were way too long. I can't remember when I watched a Bayern game where they keep lobbing the ball way outside the field instead of the winger. And when Real had the ball, our players couldn't actually impress them in most of the tackles. Interceptions rarely happened, because more often than not the Bayern players didn't do that last step. And where are those clinical passes inside the penalty zone? Completely gone. The only chances that actually tested Madrid happened after dribblings. Ribery is to mention here.

I've really not got a history of whinging, but this isn't a "Heynckes" problem nor is it a "Guardiola" problem. It's player mentality. Yesterday I saw everything, but not a team that's intended to destroy Madrid. And you don't get to win over Madrid by being nice about it, or half assing your home game. Bayern would've needed to go for a 4-0 result. And even then being away in Bernabeu isn't making it a sure thing.

And once more, Bayern has fecked itself into an impossible corner and they have to go all out in the second leg. And not make a single mistake, either. Can they do it? Yes, sure. But not with a performance like yesterday. Mind you, it wasn't shabby. They would've knocked out almost any team with even that. But Bayern isn't competing for semi finals. They need to step up and prove why people consider them in the top 5. They need to beat Madrid at some point. And they shouldn't get into the semis on easy draws alone.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Did you watch a different game? Stopping the ball alone was a real problem for some Bayern players. Long passes were way too long. I can't remember when I watched a Bayern game where they keep lobbing the ball way outside the field instead of the winger. And when Real had the ball, our players couldn't actually impress them in most of the tackles. Interceptions rarely happened, because more often than not the Bayern players didn't do that last step. And where are those clinical passes inside the penalty zone? Completely gone. The only chances that actually tested Madrid happened after dribblings. Ribery is to mention here.

I've really not got a history of whinging, but this isn't a "Heynckes" problem nor is it a "Guardiola" problem. It's player mentality. Yesterday I saw everything, but not a team that's intended to destroy Madrid. And you don't get to win over Madrid by being nice about it, or half assing your home game. Bayern would've needed to go for a 4-0 result. And even then being away in Bernabeu isn't making it a sure thing.

And once more, Bayern has fecked itself into an impossible corner and they have to go all out in the second leg. And not make a single mistake, either. Can they do it? Yes, sure. But not with a performance like yesterday. Mind you, it wasn't shabby. They would've knocked out almost any team with even that. But Bayern isn't competing for semi finals. They need to step up and prove why people consider them in the top 5. They need to beat Madrid at some point. And they shouldn't get into the semis on easy draws alone.
i watched the same match, but i didn't hear Rethy commenting, maybe that's a difference. That guy is on a mission to top Marcel Reif in super-defeatism.
Reading german press and comments of people who watched it on TV, FCB seems to have been abysmally bad. Reading international headlines, the rest of europe seems to think differently, even the spanish ones:

Marca: "Real can feel fortunate with the result" .. "Ribery was a big nightmare"
AS: "two goals but very little else" - "the result is ok but there is nothing to sugarcoat" - "Real survived the onslaught"

etc..

My opinion. Bayerns game was far from being perfect, but it is a bit hilarious to take that as a sign of Reals class. They didn't let Rib slice through 2-3 men like 6-7 times on purpose. They didn't allow numerous short crosses through their pen box on purpose.
Real played (possibly better) football until the 1-0 - in that phase, it looked as if they played with one man more on the pitch. After the goal, they positively crumbled and were visibly rattled, they could have conceived 1-2 more, until the more or less random equalizer happened. In that phase, they tried to come to grips by their usual tricks, taking injury time etc, just to break Bayerns momentum. that was in the first half, still.
90% of the second half was a match on one goal. Without many100% opportunities, granted, but still. I doubt that was Reals match plan.

For Bayerns performance in this match, the gap between world beater and pub team were 2 missed chances and a misplaced midfield pass.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

The tie isn't over yet, but Bayern has to play without Neuer, Vidal, Coman, Boateng, probably Robben and maybe Alaba next week. That's 6 players of a potential starting eleven. The bad luck with injuries affecting the CL-playoffs each year is really ridiculous.
I think Alaba is the biggest miss out of all of them, maybe Robben too cause he gives Bayern an edge. While Ribery was on a one man mission to tear Madrids right hand side apart, Marcelo who's probably the weakest defender of the lot was on holiday without a threat. Rafinha simply isn't good enough for this level and him playing is a big problem. Given what i saw i'd be shocked if Bayern don't turn the tie into a real battle for the second leg. Madrid really were holding on and not in a sense that they could contain Bayern, but they looked clueless on how to stop them.

Forward's rated as highly as Muller and Lewa having such a mare at the same time is not something i see happening again.

United Junkie

Robben is out. That's one threat less for Madrid. And that's good I want Madrid to win it. I have no confidence in the Germans to destroy Pool.