Federico Macheda to Sampdoria (Loan Watch)

PeteReDevil

iPete
Good move for him. Amazing how much people seem to be reading too much into this. It's nothing more than a player going on loan for more playing time, for the rest of the season.

Ekeke

Good move for him. Amazing how much people seem to be reading too much into this. It's nothing more than a player going on loan for more playing time, for the rest of the season.
Exactly as it was with Rossi.

If he plays as well as Rossi did on loan, dont expect him back. And if he doesnt play that well on loan, that doesnt suggest he'd have much of a future here either.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If he plays as well as Rossi did on loan, dont expect him back. And if he doesnt play that well on loan, that doesnt suggest he'd have much of a future here either.
I agree with the latter half of your post but not exactly with the first half. If he is good on loan, then most definitely it is a good thing for us because he is either going to come back to us or he wants to leave then we will get a good amount of money for him.

I pretty sure he wants to come back though. He says he loves it here and stuff but yeah if he does not do well, then he might be shown the door.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Good Luck and Thanks for the late goals against Villa.

I bet he'll do great in Sampdoria.

Ekeke

I agree with the latter half of your post but not exactly with the first half. If he is good on loan, then most definitely it is a good thing for us because he is either going to come back to us or he wants to leave then we will get a good amount of money for him.

I pretty sure he wants to come back though. He says he loves it here and stuff but yeah if he does not do well, then he might be shown the door.
It depends if you consider that a good result. Most people would be dissappointed with that given how Sir Alex has talked him up and with the flashes of brilliance he's shown at times.

If he does anywhere near as well as Rossi did on loan at Parma, he's going to want to play first team football a fair bit next season. Is he really going to get that chance with Berbatov, Rooney, Hernandez and Welbeck at the club? So I'm sure first choice would be to come back for him yes, but not if he isnt going to play much. He wont be okay with the same situation he has now, not if he progresses a lot on loan.

RDCR07

If he does well on loan and wants first team football next season, then the best thing to do is send him out on loan again to maybe a PL team this time and see how he does.

Nathan

Good luck to Macheda, i think regardless of the where the move was going to be, he needed game time and he is guaranteed playing time. It will help with his overall development.

Devil may care

I hope it goes well for him, personally I think the West Brom loan would have been a better idea overall but Fergie seems to really have faith in Macheda, so this isn't necessarily the foreshadowing of a move back to Italy as some seem to feel.

RDCR07

I hope it goes well for him, personally I think the West Brom loan would have been a better idea overall but Fergie seems to really have faith in Macheda, so this isn't necessarily the foreshadowing of a move back to Italy as some seem to feel.
I have a feeling Macheda might have had a say in this matter a little bit. I m thinking both Sampdoria and West Brom might have offered him first team football and he chose Sampdoria over West Brom.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have a feeling Macheda might have had a say in this matter a little bit. I m thinking both Sampdoria and West Brom might have offered him first team football and he chose Sampdoria over West Brom.
West Brom would actually have been great for him. They like to play attacking football and while they concede a lot they give their attackers lot of opportunities to shine.

How do Sampdoria play? Don't watch Serie much at all these days apart from a little bit of Inter or Milan. Do they create lots of chances?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
@JamesHorncastle James Horncastle
Macheda interview in Gazzetta: "I'll be in Italy either on Wednesday or Thursday... In 6 months United will have a stronger player"

Macheda: "I'll try and make Sampdoria not regret Cassano."

Macheda: "Ferguson is a maestro. The best manager in the world and I'm sorry to leave him even for a brief period, but he encouraged this new experience."
Seems like Macheda sees his long term future is with us, hope he does well for his loan. With his build and style of play, let's hope he develops to be as good as Vieri was.

Ekeke

West Brom would actually have been great for him. They like to play attacking football and while they concede a lot they give their attackers lot of opportunities to shine.

How do Sampdoria play? Don't watch Serie much at all these days apart from a little bit of Inter or Milan. Do they create lots of chances?
Not likely to given Cassano has gone to Milan. He was their schemer in chief, most things went through him. Macheda would have been better off trying to replace Pazzini rather than Cassano. Not sure their fans will take to him given who he replaces and how different his game is.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I have a bad feeling about this. SAF didn't wanted Macheda to leave the EPL + Sampdoria is not West Brom or Wigan. If Kiko makes it big there then he is likely to stay in Italy for good.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
For all those fortune tellers, what about the lottery number or the results for the next PL games?

Donut

Is Macheda really good enough to regularly start for Sampdoria?

Eriku

Seems like Macheda sees his long term future is with us, hope he does well for his loan. With his build and style of play, let's hope he develops to be as good as Vieri was.
Yarp, saw that... very good :) Glad he is enjoying the Man Utd environment.

Hope I get the odd chance to see him in action for Sampdoria.

Redrage

He'll be back, we're not going to sell him and he sees his future with us. If he gets games, good move I say. Although I would've preferred him staying the Premier League.

MalteseRedDevil

Just saw on mutv the manager saying he doesn't think that macheda should go on loan outside the premier league.

is it possible that the only reason y there has been no confirmation on our end is that the boss is still trying to place him in england

Virtuoso

Macheda nearing Samp switch: agent

ROME — Manchester United forward Federico Macheda is close to completing a loan switch to Sampdoria, his agent Giovanni Bia told reporters on Tuesday.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson revealed recently that he would let the teenager go out on loan in order to get more first team football and Sampdoria have emerged as the front-runners to land his signature having released Antonio Cassano to join AC Milan.

The success of the deal apparently rests on guarantees Ferguson is looking for that 19-year-old Macheda will play regularly.

"There was a late morning meeting to conclude the loan transfer of Federico Macheda to Sampdoria," said Bia.

"Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to talk to the blucerchiati managers and so I believe the deal will be completed today and Macheda could arrive in Genoa tomorrow."
From the quotes of the agent, it does seem like Sir Alex probably wants assurances of how many matches Macheda will start/play in before giving the go ahead to the loan deal. That must be why we haven't confirmed the deal yet, could be wrapped up tomorrow though.

Rahul

From the quotes of the agent, it does seem like Sir Alex probably wants assurances of how many matches Macheda will start/play in before giving the go ahead to the loan deal. That must be why we haven't confirmed the deal yet, could be wrapped up tomorrow though.
Fergie needs to check beneath the pasta

some of you might not understand that :)

Virtuoso

Fergie needs to check beneath the pasta

some of you might not understand that :)
I don't see a possible smokescreen here ;)

As x42bn6 has said, he should hopefully get quite a lot of opportunities (from the start too) at Sampdoria who are a very good club. They haven't got a lot of top strikers there at the moment, and their president clearly thinks very highly of Macheda. But it is good that Sir Alex isn't taking any chances because he has already said that he doesn't want a repeat of the Rossi situation at Newcastle where he wasn't given enough game time at all.

Berlinknives

Does this allow Lindegaard to register for the Champion's League without needing to take anyone else out or was Kiko a B list player?

misterredmist

Makes sense to loan Macheda to Serie "A" club , he'll feel at home and that
may get the best out of him rather than staying in cold Blighty....

Plus, I wonder if

a) they wanted him out of Manchester to get hime off the booze....

b) whether Wellbeck's progress at Sunderland has forced the Clubs' hand.....Macheda needs games to improve , otherwise Wellbeck is in the box seat for a return
sooner to the team and Kicko will be a gonner......

Hope I'm wrong ( and I often am ) but I can't see Macheda returning......

Virtuoso

Didn't make the squad for todays game against Palermo..
He's not even officially a Sampdoria player yet, nothing's been finalised. Could happen tonight or tomorrow possibly. Earliest he'll be able to play is on Sunday against Roma I think.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Sir Alex on why Macheda went to Serie A.

Owen's fitness made it easier for Ferguson to accept Federico Macheda's request to leave United on loan for the remainder of the season, even if his destination, Sampdoria, was not quite what Ferguson was hoping for.

"Federico feels he has been neglected on the international front," said Ferguson. "This has given him an opportunity to play in Italy, where they can see him every week. We would have preferred him to play in the Premier League and he had opportunities to do that with several clubs. But he has made a good case and every player should always want to play for their international team."

Article

68-99-08

Football Italia - the Italian football website for English-speaking football fans

Blog: Return of the Mac
Federico Macheda’s switch to Sampdoria is not the biggest move this January, but it is one of the most intriguing. Antonio Labbate reports

At the start of 2007, Parma turned to Manchester United in a bid to stave off relegation. Four years later and the same Premiership club have come to the rescue of a Sampdoria side forced to find a January replacement for Antonio Cassano.

Back then it was Giuseppe Rossi who guided the Ducali to safety, today it is Federico Macheda who has the somewhat unenviable task of filling the mass technical void left by FantAntonio after his now infamous row with owner Riccardo Garrone.

Rossi and Macheda are examples of a lost Serie A generation, players who were brought up through academies on the peninsula, Parma and Lazio respectively in this case, before being poached by clubs in England who had the legal freedom and finances to offer them tempting professional contracts.

American-born Rossi proved to be a revelation at Parma on his return to Italy, clearly making the difference between survival and relegation for Claudio Ranieri’s outfit at the time. In total, he netted nine in 19 League games – equalling Roberto Mancini’s record tally for a teenager making his debut in the Italian top-flight.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson undoubtedly recalled such memories over Christmas when he decided that it was in Macheda’s best interests to end the season at another club. With first team opportunities limited to substitute appearances at Old Trafford, and having seen the likes of Danny Welbeck progress while on loan at Sunderland, Ferguson is right to allow the 19-year-old’s talent to mature elsewhere.

Nevertheless, for Ferguson, just permitting him to leave on a temporary basis was not enough. The Scot had to be convinced that Macheda was joining the right club, wary of the fact that Rossi, before heading for Parma, was actually unsuccessfully loaned out to Newcastle at the start of the 2006-07 campaign.

“They never played him and Rossi was an outstanding player,” Fergie noted. “Macheda has to play games. Clubs who convince me and the player that he'll get matches are the ones we'll consider.”

Although Ferguson also added that he hoped his starlet would remain in the Premier League, there is no denying that Sampdoria are a fine fit in Italy. A mid-table side who are free from any relegation worries, Macheda will be in contention for a regular game given that he hardly faces stiff competition for a shirt.

While Giampaolo Pazzini may be untouchable, Nicola Pozzi and Guido Marilungo will be tested by the Roman’s potential. That wouldn’t have been the case at other interested clubs such as Lazio and Juventus.

An attacker who can be fielded as a second striker or a centre-forward, Macheda got his first Premiership goals as a 17-year-old. "The boy has got something special about him,” Ferguson said back then after a wonderful finish against Sunderland. “He's quick thinking and goalscorers have that quality. He's got the instinct.”

Ferguson’s faith in the boy is unyielding, a fact underlined by the player’s agent. “Sir Alex has told me that he thinks Macheda could become one of the top 10 players in Europe,” Giovanni Bia claimed. “We are still talking about a boy who is only 19, but Ferguson is rarely wrong about these things.”

Another who is convinced of Macheda’s capabilities is Volfango Patarca, the Lazio youth sector guru who discovered him and other Biancocelesti graduates such as Alessandro Nesta and Marco Di Vaio.

“I am sure that if Sampdoria give Macheda a chance to shine then Cesare Prandelli will call him up to the full Italy squad before the end of the season,” Patarca insisted. “Sampdoria have completed an exceptional deal because this boy is a great striker. He always scores goals and does so in every possible manner. If he’s in good shape then he can make the difference.”

Such rave reviews make the kid’s projected Marassi partnership with Pazzini a mouth-watering prospect, but there are some concerns. While the youngster has proved his prowess with regularity for United’s reserves, his inability to make an impact for Gigi Casiraghi’s struggling Under-21 side has left some unanswered questions.

Chicco was given his Azzurrini debut by Casiraghi in August 2009, but he soon got a public dressing down from the tactician after a loss in Wales. “He has to grow up a lot, on the pitch and off it,” Casiraghi surprisingly declared. “If he wants to be a footballer then he needs to learn how to be a real professional.”

The former Juventus striker continued to select Macheda in his squads, but there was no assured starting shirt for reasons which have yet to be fully explained. This, after all, was one of the poorest Azzurrini sides which the peninsula has produced over the last decade.

While Casiraghi seemed to have doubts, his replacement, Ciro Ferrara, clearly didn’t when Macheda was given the opportunity to impress in November’s 2-1 friendly win over Turkey. The forward didn’t let the side down, scoring his first goals for the U-21s. “Casiraghi never had faith in me,” Macheda quipped after he scored a brace.

Now it’ll be up to Domenico Di Carlo to unleash the undoubted promise which Macheda packs in his boots. While he may not have the skills of Cassano, if Chicco clicks at the Ferraris, like Rossi did at the Tardini, then he could become more useful to Samp than FantAntonio turns out to be for the Diavolo.