Fellaini (on his way) out? | Duncan Castles: Fellaini agrees new two year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

Is he really the cause of all our ills? Decent squad player, we have a decent midfield now with Matic behind Fred and Pogba. How many midfielders do we need? Our priority now should be getting 3 signings where we REALLY need them. CB, LB and RW.
not of all it but most of it yes. When Fellaini plays we lose control of the midfield because he likes to go forward and attack the box but first and foremost he is supposed to be a midfield player but he doesn't come close to doing the job a midfielder should be doing. He can't run, he can't shoot, he can't tackle and he can't dribble. He can chest balls from the air and he can header balls but that isn't enough to be midfield player for United. Look at the clubs we're trying to compete with and see if Fellaini would get into any of these teams either as a starter or squad player. Then ask yourself is Fellaini a player that can help us compete with these teams - teams that are stacked with quality players both starting and off the bench? It's difficult to imagine this situation but this is what we have. If he stays he stays and we get behind the team but I'm certain this is a step backwards even before the season has begun because there should've been a massive clearout of dead wood and Fellaini was first on the list.

Canagel

People need to get over it. We have to improve in so many areas of the pitch.
Isn't midfield one of the areas that we need to improve in? We were supposed to be in for 2 midfielders. We've got Fred but the other one depended on whether Fellaini stays or goes according to Mourinho and now it looks like he's staying it's a missed opportunity to upgrade a position in the midfield. We needed two midfielders anyway regardless of the Fellaini situation because he was never a starter in the first place but it looks like it will go unaddressed again. One injury to Fred or Pogba and we're back to Fellaini. We are not short on numbers in midfield but we are short in quality. The likes of City have players like Gundogan in reserve and we will bring Fellaini. Its not enough. We need an upgrade.

Chairman Woodie

I hope this is true. I am a fan of Fellaini, and have been since his days at Standard Liege.

Also, the entertainment value from reading this thread would be worthy of popcorn and coke. Few topics amuse me more than reading the rantings of obsessive Fellaini bashers. :lol:

Frank Grimes

Isn't midfield one of the areas that we need to improve in? We were supposed to be in for 2 midfielders. We've got Fred but the other one depended on whether Fellaini stays or goes according to Mourinho and now it looks like he's staying it's a missed opportunity to upgrade a position in the midfield. We needed two midfielders anyway regardless of the Fellaini situation because he was never a starter in the first place but it looks like it will go unaddressed again. One injury to Fred or Pogba and we're back to Fellaini. We are not short on numbers in midfield but we are short in quality. The likes of City have players like Gundogan in reserve and we will bring Fellaini. Its not enough. We need an upgrade.
We spent over 50m on Fred, that is our improvement.

-------------------Matic------------------
------------Fred-----------Pogba

looks like avery good midfield to me, if Fred is a success.

Fellaini will be a squad player and can do a job. stop acting like he will start every game. Herrera, McTominay and maybe Pereira are other options.

ravi2

Oh FFS
Just when I thought we were rid of this clown

The midfield grinds to an absolute halt when he steps on the pitch. I guess he is a viable plan B but does United really have to resort to that?

Just let him go Jose

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
not of all it but most of it yes. When Fellaini plays we lose control of the midfield because he likes to go forward and attack the box but first and foremost he is supposed to be a midfield player but he doesn't come close to doing the job a midfielder should be doing. He can't run, he can't shoot, he can't tackle and he can't dribble. He can chest balls from the air and he can header balls but that isn't enough to be midfield player for United. Look at the clubs we're trying to compete with and see if Fellaini would get into any of these teams either as a starter or squad player. Then ask yourself is Fellaini a player that can help us compete with these teams - teams that are stacked with quality players both starting and off the bench? It's difficult to imagine this situation but this is what we have. If he stays he stays and we get behind the team but I'm certain this is a step backwards even before the season has begun because there should've been a massive clearout of dead wood and Fellaini was first on the list.
Maybe because his coach expects something else from the player, he wants him to bomb forward and play where he is suited most, in the opposition box.

maniwin

So our midfield next season if nothing happen will be Pogba , Matic, Fred , Fellaini , Perreira , Mctominay and Herrera. I can understand the logic of renewing Fellaini contract in Woodward point of view so we don't have to spend another 50m at least for CM . 30m nowadays won't even get you anymore than bench player. We already spend 50 for fred and 20 for dalot , i think our budget is around 300m max , so we still have over 200m for our marquee signing.
To be honest i have more concern about Valencia keep being our first choice right back , unlike Fellaini , he starts often which is one of our biggest problem.

Last edited:

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I honestly don't get the hatred of Fellaini. He's not the greatest player by any means, but he always gives his all, and scores some important goals. I find Valencia to be a far bigger hindrance to our team than Fellaini, and yet nobody seems to hate him (which is a great thing; just don't know why Fellaini doesn't get the same respect.)
He doesnt always give his all, thats precisely one of the reasons why so many people dont like him.

Sereques

I saw something from Samuel Luckhurst that said United have withdraw their offer and he's free to leave

spwd

I seriously question the judgement of any big club manager who values Fellaini. He doesn't belong here.

I hope he leaves.
We recently got rid of Rooney, I thought we had learned our lesson, but apparently not, hes Everton level and no more, for the club to bend over backwards for this tw@t im speechless.

I honestly don't get the hatred of Fellaini. He's not the greatest player by any means, but he always gives his all, and scores some important goals. I find Valencia to be a far bigger hindrance to our team than Fellaini, and yet nobody seems to hate him (which is a great thing; just don't know why Fellaini doesn't get the same respect.)
I don’t hate Tony but there’s plenty on here who are sick of him as much as elbows.

Fellaini is really good at marking physical but slow strikers in PES 2018. I suggest you try it, if the opponent relies on his striker to score They're done, you'll win 100%.
If They have 2 strikers, mark each with Fellaini and Matic. Use Pogba as the only CM. It works every time.
And wtf has that got to do with real life?:rolleyes:

Gazza

I’m just about okay with this if it means we’re spending more money elsewhere and Fellaini is effectively battling with McTominay and Perreira for game time behind Herrera and the big three.

Fer

Even if he renews, I'm sure we will be getting another midfielder? Or did we sign Fred to replace Carrick?
Mourinho said that he will sign another CM if we sell Fellaini. But if he is staying, then I think we will have Matic Pogba, Fred, Herrera, Fellaini, Pereira, McTominay for the 3 positions.

Kapardin

I’m just about okay with this if it means we’re spending more money elsewhere and Fellaini is effectively battling with McTominay and Perreira for game time behind Herrera and the big three.
Why would Fellaini be behind Herrera? Arguably been better than Herrera in most games. He would be behind the 3 starters.

Though I really think Fellaini is back-up to Pogba and Herrera is back-up to Fred or Matic and so the two aren't direct competitors.

All this is assuming Fred is a good player. Haven't seen much of him but sure hope he delivers.

dirkey

This better not be true. Get rid of this elbow throwing lump of a thug please. Detest seeing him in a united shirt.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If true, he’s going to get an unpleasant reception at Old Trafford when he steps onto the pitch. The fans already aren’t on the best terms with him and with these contract dramatics that he’s pulled, I can see Old Trafford not being pleased.

AgentP

I don't actually mind if he stays on for another year. We have lots of other areas in need of repair. It can potentially save us 30-40m of our kitty.

AgentP

RedCafe is already in meltdown with this news. Now all that we need is a Griezmann style documentary to tip us over the cliff!

Fer

I hope we don't continue with Fellaini in our midfield when Liverpool have Naby Keita and Fabinho.

If we want to compete versus the big teams, we need to improve our squad. Real Madrid have Modric, Kroos, Casemiro, Isco, Kovacic in their midfield... It's better quality over quantity.

buckooo1978

Why would Fellaini be behind Herrera? Arguably been better than Herrera in most games. He would be behind the 3 starters.

Though I really think Fellaini is back-up to Pogba and Herrera is back-up to Fred or Matic and so the two aren't direct competitors.

All this is assuming Fred is a good player. Haven't seen much of him but sure hope he delivers.
why would he be behind Herrera? seriously?

I suppose it depends on how you want your team to play. If you prefer the engine room of your team to include a player with limited technical ability, limited passing range and someone who's key attribute is causing chaos in the opposition box then Fellaini is your man

Herrera had a drop in form last season in a United side where all players had a drop in form at some point. He has played better than Fellaini consistently and is obviously a technically superior player.

it's not an absolute disaster if Fellaini stays but if Jose starts throwing him in from the start in crucial games like he did v Sevilla it will be a disaster

ODB2010

Imagine bending over backwards to keep this clown. He's everything that is wrong with united since fergie retired. It is a joke that he gets a new deal like this.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Really disappointing. The board allowed a player has disrespected the club over last few months and still offering him a new contract. Good luck to Fellaini, he might be loved by Mourinho, but he might become one of the most hated player of own United supporters.
This is what fecking hurts.
Mourinho gives no fecks for the club begging him to stay, and Ed going along with this is fecking grim. Jose just wants players around who kiss his ass, no matter how shit they play.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
why would he be behind Herrera? seriously?

I suppose it depends on how you want your team to play. If you prefer the engine room of your team to include a player with limited technical ability, limited passing range and someone who's key attribute is causing chaos in the opposition box then Fellaini is your man

Herrera had a drop in form last season in a United side where all players had a drop in form at some point. He has played better than Fellaini consistently and is obviously a technically superior player.

it's not an absolute disaster if Fellaini stays but if Jose starts throwing him in from the start in crucial games like he did v Sevilla it will be a disaster
Herrera has not been consistently better than Fellaini at all.

First and second season there wasn't much between them. Herrera was woeful at times with Fellaini being one of the major reasons we qualified for the UCL. Herrera's performance away at West Ham particularly standing out .

Third season Herrera was better with him winning our POTY .

Fourth season Fellaini was better with Herrera having a shocking season.

This is the worst thing about the Fellaini haters. Straight out lying and rewriting history.

Both this guys are inconsistent. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses. And both can be improved upon but are useful squad options.

Last edited:

Coops73

I woke up, no butter for my toast so I had to go out to the garage and they only had that shite Utterly Butterly, then I burnt the toast and just when I thought my morning couldn’t get any worse I read this. I’m doing a sicky and going back to bed.

trafford1980

Day ruiner.

What’s the bet that Fellaini starts against England, injures someone important (probably our Jesse,) gets himself sent off and then announces he’s staying in the following hours.

I’ve thought the criticism of his performances were mostly unfair; right player for a specific role/time, but this contract saga has really sapped him of much of this goodwill. His arrogance irks me. At what point does his position in the squad become untenable?

The replies to his contract announcement on the official United FB page are going to make for an amazing read.

Not sure blame is the word I’d use, he seems to have managed to have gotten rid of Fellaini, I’d say thanks are more in order than blame.
Well let's wait and see - now there's talk of him renewing.

Last edited:

Lemansky

:lol::lol:

What a meltdown incoming if he renews with us.

I ain’t fussed either way. As one above said, he won’t be a starter.

It also makes sense as I reckon Mou will spend rest of his budget on a RW, CB and maybe a fullback.

Fella is a good player. Hate how this renewal has been handled by him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.