Fellaini (on his way) out? | Duncan Castles: Fellaini agrees new two year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Could be brinksmanship on his part. Fellaini's demands of £125,000 a week would work out at £19.5 million over the course of a 3 year contract. Now for all his issues, I don't think you'd bring in a much better caliber of player for that amount in transfer fee and wages over 3 years. United might yet cave in order to have a plan b or c in reserve.
All other top clubs are fine with not having a similar plan B. I think he has been useful in various situations but time to move on and a build a team properly instead of depending on the easy way and playing long balls to him. Time to build a team who plays proper football and for our managers to have different solutions than just throwing Fellaini in. It's best for everyone.

Minimalist

I really struggle to understand what Fellaini can do physically, that you couldn't get McTominay, Matic or Pogba to do (in a pinch). And even if it has to be a replacement, there's bound to be a better all-round player out there.

We don't need a dedicated lump in the squad.

onemanarmy

Apparently, EPL clubs cannot announce free transfer after deals within the country until the contract expires. Explains why he said July 1st.
Looks like he's staying in England. Think it's Arsenal.
I'm guessing it's West Ham.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He actually said he's already signed a contract elsewhere, and will announce his new club in 5 days (according to Belgian journalists).
Oh fecking hell... I'm going for a celebratory tug.

Feck aff and don't let the door hit you on the way out, ya big lump! Didn't really mind for Fellaini but he's shown to be a bit of a dick during these last few months.

GBBQ

All other top clubs are fine with not having a similar plan B. I think he has been useful in various situations but time to move on and a build a team properly instead of depending on the easy way and playing long balls to him. Time to build a team who plays proper football and for our managers to have different solutions than just throwing Fellaini in. It's best for everyone.
Agreed with everythig you've said and have no desire to see him remain, just conscious that Mourinho has been very vocal in his Fellaini support so would not be surprised if there is a last minute contract offered.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ding Dong the witch is dead. Hopefully that's the end of the Moyes curse.

No hard feelings with Fellaini I wish him well on his future endeavours, apart from when he plays against us.

It's the right decision by the club. Hopefully Jose gets the idea of lump ball out his head now.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Personally think Matic would eat him alive now though. Pogba could deal with him too if he got his finger out.
I’d agree with that if his new manager plays Fellaini as a central-midfielder, but if he’s played as a number 10 in the way Moyes had him at Everton then he’ll annoy plenty of opposition teams.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
My thoughts exactly.

He is a handy player that has impressed many of us. I even bought a jersey with his name on. Loved how he turned his stature around.

But, given his technical restrictions and the mere 900 minutes José gave him this season I cannot tell why he should earn something like 150k a week and get a three year contract. He surely must see that he is asking for far better terms then what his value entails?

I don't think he'll see this the other way, so - then it's bye bye from me (already sold the jersey).
I was surprised enough to see that someone bought his shirt in the first place, but how the hell did you manage to resell it?

El Zoido

I think he hates it here. The fans never took to him and he’s represented the lowest point for this club in 25 years. That’s why he’s asked for a ridiculous contract - might as well if he wants out anyway.

reddaz71

Would be befitting of where we have been post Ferguson if he announces that he has decided to extend his stay with us! I dont see any of the big clubs being in for him and not even any offers from China,says alot.

Brophs

The One and Only
Apparently, EPL clubs cannot announce free transfer after deals within the country until the contract expires. Explains why he said July 1st.
Looks like he's staying in England. Think it's Arsenal.
PL clubs can approach PL contracted players within one month of their expiry of their current contract, from what I know. I can't imagine why you couldn't announce a contract in those circumstances.

The fact he's putting a date on it, at a time when Belgium will still be in the WC, suggests to me that he's smoking out a better offer from United.

JMack1234

A bizarre state of affairs.

Surely he can't stay now. He's not exactly the most popular guy around now, if he signs an extension after taking the absolute p*ss out of the fans and the club he'll be about as popular as Judas Iscariot at a apostle reunion (Vicar of Dibley).

He's 30 now, so he's got a few more years at a top level at most. Why doesn't he just go somewhere where he'll be liked. Where he won't be the embodiment of a banter-era and playing football will be more fun for him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Does he think that he is fecking Griezmann? Hey Maroune, you actually need to be good at footy to speak this nonsense, and even then it is actually better to not do it.
A bit harsh. I'm sure he's being asked about it all the time, and as far as I know this is the first time he's commented on it in the last couple of weeks. He probably doesn't want to say where he will be going while he's still under contract with us, hence why he said he'll announce it on July 1st when our contract ends.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I really struggle to understand what Fellaini can do physically, that you couldn't get McTominay, Matic or Pogba to do (in a pinch). And even if it has to be a replacement, there's bound to be a better all-round player out there.

We don't need a dedicated lump in the squad.
Fellaini has way more on the ball than McTominay. Also he is way ahead physically and as an attacking strength. No idea why people go so extreme and say players like McTominay and Cleverly are better. Pogba and Matic? Two of the best in the world obviously Fellaini is behind them.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
With highlights videos like this (the first one that comes up if you search for "Fellaini highlights" on google video), I can't believe that clubs aren't falling over each other to sign him.

I quite like the idea of having an "enforcer" in the team.
If I were manager, I'd love to have an option like him on the bench.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
David Moyes. What’s almost more baffling is why this complete moron of a man’s tactics survived two new managers, and we’re only now at a point when Fellaini could be out the door.
Jose will drag Fellaini back through the door, into our club.
Fellaini is a MUFC player through and through.
While I am not a fan of his, I understand that tactically, having the option of a tall, physical player is important.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think he hates it here. The fans never took to him and he’s represented the lowest point for this club in 25 years. That’s why he’s asked for a ridiculous contract - might as well if he wants out anyway.
I also think the club is not keen on him staying. That's why they offered him a one year contract. A token gesture to Mourinho imo.

spiriticon

This guy cracks me up. Please let there be a Greizmann style documentary on July 1.

stevoc

Clutching there, United only offer one year contracts to those over 30, and have done for years
I don't know how true that is anymore, we signed Schweinsteiger on a 3 year deal at 30. We also gave Valencia a 2 year deal at 31 last summer.

stevoc

BS was a few months shy of his 30th birthday when he signed, and as for Valencia are you sure ? Think he's on a yearly-rolling contract
Schweinsteiger is 34 in August so he was almost 31 when we signed him in July 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastian_Schweinsteiger

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33511027

Valencia definitely signed a new 2 year deal last May.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ter-united-agree-to-2-year-contract-extension

We also signed Valdes at 32 on an 18 months contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30736791

The 1 year max contract policy for players over 30 was ended years ago as far as i remember. I reckon the club would only go 1 year max for Fellaini because he's became injury prone and wanted a significant wage increase.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He had it perfect here. Reasonable amount of games, the match-going fans starting to warm to him, better performances and respect from his manager. I'd imagine decent money, too. To crush it all like that is weird. I thought he genuinely loved it here. How many top top teams will take him and give him a good amount of playing time?

stevoc

He had it perfect here. Reasonable amount of games, the match-going fans starting to warm to him, better performances and respect from his manager. I'd imagine decent money, too. To crush it all like that is weird. I thought he genuinely loved it here. How many top top teams will take him and give him a good amount of playing time?
None including United it seems, as much as Mourinho seems to like him he obviously didn't see him as a 1st choice player. He wants to be playing every week, he won't get that at United. If he leaves it will because he wants more playing time.

MoDeLemone

I'm fine with him staying, as long as we haven't caved in to this ridiculous wage demands then I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.