Fellaini (on his way) out? | Duncan Castles: Fellaini agrees new two year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah, made up stuff is often forgotten.
The only glaring mistake that cost us a goal I can remember was when he came on against Everton and gave away a penalty.

Siorac

Mate, this is 2018. We would need to spend at least £60M on Fellaini's replacement.
Again, Matic cost 40m last summer. Salah cost Liverpool 40m.

The idea that even a squad player would cost at least 60m is laughable.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm sure he's a nice guy but he is not good enough to be at United. I can understand him wanting to stay and be tough in negotiations, the problem is the management who are desperate for him to stay. It's a worrying sign for our play style next season and our ambition to win top competitions.
His recent comments in the press would suggest otherwise. I agree with the rest of your post though, he isn't good enough to be a United player. Plus he is a constant reminder of David Moyes - that reason alone should be enough to see him sold.

cathari

I was surprised enough to see that someone bought his shirt in the first place, but how the hell did you manage to resell it?
I put it out online the same weekend he scored two against Palace ;)

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ah well. At least......

Nope, can't up with anything good to say about this.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Anderson was twice the player Fellaini is.
Mmm respectfully have to disagree besides a couple games his first season showing potential, the last 4-5 years the guys dedication to staying in shape makes Luke Shaw look whippet thin.

Minimalist

Again, Matic cost 40m last summer. Salah cost Liverpool 40m.

The idea that even a squad player would cost at least 60m is laughable.
Don't think Johnny's been cracking the math books like he told his parents.

You spend £60m on a player, he ain't sitting on the bench unless there's a major problem with their performances. Not in 2008 or 2018.

beedoubleyou

People are being overly dramatic. Have some patience. We don't have citys budget. It's as much the scouts fault as anyones or the boards. The attitude of the club has been poor since Sir Alex retired. For me we are too slow. We play much to safe. We UNDERSPEND. We can't sell players for good money. We move on the wrong players. I would trust jose to know what he's doing.
It's the scout's fault the manager got the wrong players. It's the coaches fault we can't attack better. It's the Chief analyser's fault we can't break teams down. Jose is blameless and is just a victim suffering at the hands of Manchester United.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's not. The penalty against Everton - which i might add is about the only time he's cost us a goal, is brought up constantly.
And it's not like other more regular players haven't cost us either, I can remember off the top of my head two Herrera red cards which we then failed to win both matches (Burnley and Chelsea) and he gets nowhere near the flak Fellaini does.

JonDahl

And it's not like other more regular players haven't cost us either, I can remember off the top of my head two Herrera red cards which we then failed to win both matches (Burnley and Chelsea) and he gets nowhere near the flak Fellaini does.
Because Herrera can play football.

Mainoldo

Sevilla arent exactly push overs in cup competitions are they? Also was he on the field that day? We won two trophies last season but sure thats already been forgotten.
Did they make it to the final? Infact did they make it to the semi’s? You act like the Sevilla team and manger haven’t changed from their Europa dominance.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's just a stick to beat him with, added with the fact he came on to sure up the game it cements it in peoples mind :lol:. He also won us the game against Arsenal, so it's swings and roundabouts. Actually looking how much he even played last season, it was minimal. I'm not happy about it and rather we'd let him go this season, but if it means we spend more elsewhere - fine.

gica_7

Gives 100% when he is on the field, but feck me can't we be allowed to aspire to something better?
It doesn't matter really. His %100 is not enough for a club like United. This doesn't make any sense. I am sick of it.

If there is a football god out there, it is enough. We had our share of misfortunes in the last 5 years. Give us a break.

Minimalist

Did they make it to the final? Infact did they make it to the semi’s? You act like the Sevilla team and manger haven’t changed from their Europa dominance.
Finished 7th in the league with -9 GD. Cracking side.

jem

He doesnt always give his all, thats precisely one of the reasons why so many people dont like him.
I've never gotten that sense - I think he looks lost at times out there, and to be honest, just not up to our standards. However, I've always felt he's one of the few players on our current team to show any kind of spine.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Mate, this is 2018. We would need to spend at least £60M on Fellaini's replacement.
No we wouldn’t, this is way over the top. Fellaini is a 29-year old back up midfielder who probably wouldn’t be first team player at any top club in Europe. They don’t cost ‘at least £60m’.

We just bought Fred for £52m, he is a Brazil international, 26 years old and will likely play in the first team.

Siorac

:lol: won 2 trophies, 1 runners up FA cup and 1 runners up with a points total that would normally win you a PL and he has lost his ambition.
81 points would have been enough to win the Premier League twice in the last ten seasons. It would not "normally" win you a title at all.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It's not. The penalty against Everton - which i might add is about the only time he's cost us a goal, is brought up constantly.
What he does cost us is the inability to play through the midfield and he affords the option to start lumping the ball forward.

I've said this many times before. No club with aspirations of being the best would ever even sign Fellaini, we're giving him a contract which takes him close to a testimonial.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
:lol:

I wonder if RAWK have a ‘RedCafe goes into meltdown’ thread.

They’ll be loving this.

Mainoldo

I didn't like the speculation on signing another midfielder this summer, considering we have a budget.
So for that reason I'm somewhat happy about this.

But I really don't like watching us play when he's in the team. He doesn't fit in as a replacement in any position, because José IMO makes him too much of a focal point.
Every goal kick from De Gea is kicked long to the sideline where he is supposed to chest it down, the hit and hope long balls from defence become even more frequent.

Fred, Matic and Pogba with Herrera, Pereira, McTominay and even Lingard in a midfield three should be enough.

The managers here seem to fall in love with this big bloated squad, with too many average mouths too feed.

I started writing this post to defend this contract extension, but now I've come to the conclusion that this is not a good move.
I agree with you. Funny how we don’t trust our players to play even like England. I mean we have 1/3 of England’s midfield anyway. It’s not like Pogba can’t perform like Delle Ali. It’s also pretty hard to get overrun in midfield when you have the ball too.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
The only thing I can take from this, is we are selling him for a fee, rather than letting him go. That's the plus side. 13m in January from wherever.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
At least that's one less goal we're were almost always going to concede next season avoided.

*Edit - now watch him score an own goal first game he plays.

Mainoldo

The only thing I can take from this, is we are selling him for a fee, rather than letting him go. That's the plus side. 13m in January from wherever.
Probably because at this rate Mourinho might not make it past Christmas.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Don't despise him like some on here but I would've liked for him to leave so we can freshen up the midfield with another signing.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I watch all our matches and if there is ever a player who gives his all, it's Fellaini.
The aggression. The passion. The will to bully opponents. The unpredictability of his movements - all arms/legs/elbows in the opoonent's box causes all kinds of problems when defending long balls into the box. Those are Fellaini's strengths.

The 'running through brick walls for his team', mentality is exactly the reason why Jose likes him so much. And this is the very reason why Jose tends not to play Martial as much.
There’s no way you have seen all United matches and come to that conclusion.

If it was not for Mykitarian having played for us he would be right up there for one of the laziest players to pull on the shirt.

JonDahl

No club will pay £13 million for him when they could have got him for free. On top of that, seeing as no one wanted to pay the wages he was asking for, if we do get a few for him, we’ll almost certainly be paying a % of his salary.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
No club will pay £13 million for him when they could have got him for free. On top of that, seeing as no one wanted to pay the wages he was asking for, if we do get a few for him, we’ll almost certainly be paying a % of his salary.
One can only hope, I'm still baffled as to why we paid more for him than we should have, if we signed him like a week earlier.

settembrini

Hard to believe it will soon be 2019 and we're still going to be watching Young and Valencia crossing for Fellaini.

My goodness.

Nero

Can't wait to bring him on in the 70th minute when we are chasing a game (hoof to Fellaini incoming) or trying to hold on to a result (enter Fellaini to clumsily give away a penalty). Buzzing.

reddaz71

This typifies how badly this club has lost its way post Ferguson,we have a limited CEO and a archaic manager,result = we are re-signing a substandard player who lets be honest would not have got anywhere near any of Fergusons teams.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Can't wait to bring him on in the 70th minute when we are chasing a game (hoof to Fellaini incoming) or trying to hold on to a result (enter Fellaini to clumsily give away a penalty). Buzzing.
It's ok I've seen the new contract and he is not allowed inside his own penalty area.

AR87

I'm fine with this. He signed the length of contract (2 years) we wanted and offered from the outset. It's obvious that once again Mourinho is worked within the constraints of a budget, so not having to spend significant sums to add another CM is a good thing so long as we use it to effectively fill needs at RW, LB and CB with the former two being higher priorities IMO.

Fellaini will be replaced next summer.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What he does cost us is the inability to play through the midfield and he affords the option to start lumping the ball forward.

I've said this many times before. No club with aspirations of being the best would ever even sign Fellaini, we're giving him a contract which takes him close to a testimonial.
Sorry, but when did he impart this grand effect on our play? did he do it in all of the 5 times he started for us in the prem? or the 11 sub appearances? The reason we would start lumping the ball to him anyway is that we were incapable of breaking teams down playing through the midfield. To place the problem at his door is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.