Fellaini

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuackQuack

Handy with candles and exhausts
Two slots for two attacking players, each. I think we could reserve an LB slot for both Evra and Baines.

If Baines deal go through, Buttner will probably depart to Besiktas, anyway.
In theory that would work but I think it would be beneficial for DDG to have a consistent back four.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
But as Cider says, surely you want a stable back 4?

Rotating defenders and rotating strikers are two very different things.
Rotation will be inevitable, even with attempting to make a perfectly stable back four... Players from the back four will get eventually tired or injured.

Baines will be a massive help to sustain productivity of goal situations from the left flank. We can afford that. Other big clubs like Bayern, overloading their formations is really nothing new.

Ash_G

Rotation will be inevitable, even with attempting to make a perfectly stable back four... Players from the back four will get eventually tired or injured.

Baines will be a massive help to sustain productivity of goal situations from the left flank. We can afford that. Other big clubs like Bayern, overloading their formations is really nothing new.

But thing is you rarely change your defence unless you have to, injuries to centrebacks in recent years have made that necessary but generally you play a stable defence as much as you can. Plus it's one thing to have good backup but when you can say you have 2 of the best 3 fullbacks in the league it seems a bit excessive, especially in a world cup year when both would want to play as much as possible. I really think if Baines comes Evra is leaving.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
In theory that would work but I think it would be beneficial for DDG to have a consistent back four.
David de Gea will have nothing to say if another injury plague will occur and it is just one of the black scenarios.

I'm not saying, you're wrong, because You have a great point and I'm not trying to be a pessimist.

It's just that we can't rely on Buttner as he clearly is not ready... at least not yet.

Sam

So, anyone else actually coming round to Fellani and Baines?....Re; Fellani, I've said all Summer that if we could get him + a Fabregas type player I'd be over the moon, and it looks like we've tried (hopefully still trying) to get a player in that mould....but I think we've definitely lacked some real steel and aggressiveness in the middle of the team for a few years, so if Fellani can add that I'd be more then happy. I just hope we can get a more attack minded midfielder in as well.

As for Baines, he's a terrific player, who's English, and at his peak. Him and Evra would be a great battle for the left side and provide great cover for each other. Its easy to say we have Fabio and Buttner, but if Evra got injured for a while, would either of those two really be good enough or ready to fill in for a long time? I don't think so. Would you want either of them starting our next few games against Chelsea, City and Liverpool? I know I wouldn't.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hopefully with our next bid, we put together an offer that's so tempting, Everton will have no choice but to mullet over...

QuackQuack

Handy with candles and exhausts
David de Gea will have nothing to say if another injury plague will occur and it is just one of the black scenarios.

I'm not saying, you're wrong, because You have a great point and I'm not trying to be a pessimist.

It's just that we can't rely on Buttner as he clearly is not ready... at least not yet.
Then in that case we need a suitable backup for Evra as both Evra and Baines are too good to play second fiddle to each other.

Moriarty

What about Fabio? Personally, I don't much care for Baines and would pick Paddy over him any day. The left back slot isn't a pressing issue so why are we even bothering?

Brophs

The One and Only
Hopefully with our next bid, we put together an offer that's so tempting, Everton will have no choice but to mullet over...

Then again, if Everton keep him they'll end up playing long from the back and short down the sides.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
But thing is you rarely change your defence unless you have to, injuries to centrebacks in recent years have made that necessary but generally you play a stable defence as much as you can. Plus it's one thing to have good backup but when you can say you have 2 of the best 3 fullbacks in the league it seems a bit excessive, especially in a world cup year when both would want to play as much as possible. I really think if Baines comes Evra is leaving.
Evra is 32. He can easily play one more season, even two in United but after his time will end at Old Trafford, we will surely be careful in putting Fabio, there or especially Buttner.

Baines is the right choice and if he's available, we shouldn't hesitate because he's one of not many players in the world that could pull off Evra's goods on the pitch.

Still, the point is taken. We should focus on making this defense more stable than ever and while Evra is playing a good football, we shouldn't change that... at least not yet.

Ash_G

Evra is 32. He can easily play one more season, even two in United but after his time will end at Old Trafford, we will surely be careful in putting Fabio, there or especially Buttner.

Baines is the right choice and if he's available, we shouldn't hesitate because he's one of not many players in the world that could pull off Evra's goods on the pitch.

Still, the point is taken. We should focus on making this defense more stable than ever and while Evra is playing a good football, we shouldn't change that... at least not yet.

I don't see why though in 2 seasons Fabio can't have made the progress Rafael has. Only a few seasons ago he was ahead of him, he's had some bad luck with injuries but no reason he can't push on and I'd rather keep Evra, try and develop Fabio whilst in the mean time looking to see if there are other younger left backs out there. Shaw at Southamton for example might have made some great progress by then and open to a move. In two seasons time Baines will be 30 nearing 31 so we'd have to start looking again anyway. If it was a case of Evra wanting out and we could get Baines for a decent fee than I could understand but given it doesn't seem Evra is looking to leave I don't see the need for the transfer.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Then in that case we need a suitable backup for Evra as both Evra and Baines are too good to play second fiddle to each other.
Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup... plenty of games to make them play regularly.

It would really help Evra, in the age of 32, if he could have a break from playing two matches, a week. Maybe, someday we might actually win FA Cup with that kind of depth. ;)

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
What about Fabio? Personally, I don't much care for Baines and would pick Paddy over him any day. The left back slot isn't a pressing issue so why are we even bothering?

I would came buckets if Fabio would achieve Evra's level. It's not impossible.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I don't see why though in 2 seasons Fabio can't have made the progress Rafael has. Only a few seasons ago he was ahead of him, he's had some bad luck with injuries but no reason he can't push on and I'd rather keep Evra, try and develop Fabio whilst in the mean time looking to see if there are other younger left backs out there. Shaw at Southamton for example might have made some great progress by then and open to a move. In two seasons time Baines will be 30 nearing 31 so we'd have to start looking again anyway. If it was a case of Evra wanting out and we could get Baines for a decent fee than I could understand but given it doesn't seem Evra is looking to leave I don't see the need for the transfer.

Sounds logical. Fabio still have a great potential... but we already made an official bid for Baines.

I seriously hope, Moyes himself see the sense of his actions in this window.

Time will tell, but even if we would sign Baines it wouldn't be such a tragedy.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Why are people forgetting that Fabio is still here?
As long he's not injured, I remember him and praying for his return to big football... but again, we already made a bid for Baines.

Things get complicated, sometimes but it's not the kind of problem that would give us big headaches.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just a few weeks ago you guys were dreading this. Now we're locked in talks you have changed your colour.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Fellaini is not the type of player I'd like to see as a first choice at United but the sad reality is he's better the nearly everyone else we've got. Needs must at this stage, signing him is better than not signing anyone, even if we do have to pay over the odds for him.

I haven't given up hope that we'll sign a better cm as well though. If we get Fellaini + a creative cm I will be happy. If it's just Fellaini then all we've done is paper over the cracks.

I like Baines though, I think he's proper United quality. It's just a shame he's not a few years younger.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I must say Fellaini #7 would continue our recent trend of uninspiring 7s if it turns out like that. I'd love us to get him, but not the 7, you can call me childish.

binary bot
I reckon he'll prove most doubters wrong if he comes, not that a number matters in the slightest anyhow so I wouldn't mind him getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.