Fergie: "There’s nothing wrong with Manchester United, not a thing wrong with it."

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Sir Alex was in rousing mood on Wednesday night as he collects his thoughts following one of the more dramatic, and disappointing, weeks in his time as United boss. Here's the transcript of his post-match press conference...

"To maintain the success at any football club is not a certainty, i.e. I always believe a four-year cycle is probably the most you can achieve in terms of success. Very few teams can create more than that four-year cycle. Last season we almost did it, we were one point short of winning the league for a record fourth time.

"We realised that to maintain that high consistency of being there challenging we had to inject youth into the club and we’ve been doing it for the last three or four years. We realised some years ago that Giggs, Scholes and Neville were never going to last forever and our policy is therefore to develop players within the club. We had a player that once said to me Rooney and Ronaldo weren’t good enough. Can you believe that? He actually said they weren’t good enough and he wasn’t prepared to wait until they were. That’s what happens, that’s the problem with potential – people don’t identify potential, they’re very poor at it. I’ve identified it all my life within young people – I know potential, I know how it can be developed and I know how to have faith in it - young people surprise you when you give them an opportunity. And that’s what this club is about. So when you see Manchester United at the moment with all these young players, you can’t see Manchester United three years ahead because you’re not thinking about that.

"We will invest in players when the time is ready. This summer wasn’t the right time as far as I was concerned; there was no value for me. There was one player who we would have liked to have got but he chose another club. I don’t think he ever wanted to come to England anyway. Some players don’t want to leave their country, it’s a fact of life, some players are happy in their own country. Some players are happy to leave and Manchester United is always a big attraction for any player. If they don’t want to leave their country then we forget about it.

"In terms of the future of Manchester United there are a lot of things in my favour – history, the respect we have from people – if I told you how many agents phone my secretary every week about players who would love to play for us - and I don’t just mean run of the mill players, I’m talking about players at almost every club in the world - it would amaze you. It’s because this club still has that fantastic romance and respect from everyone.

"Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it’s a better cow than the one you’ve got in your own field. It’s a fact. But it never really works out that way. It’s probably the same cow which is only as good as your own cow. We have to deal with that – some players like to think that it’s a better world somewhere else, it never really works like that.

"As I said, three Premier League titles in a row is fantastic and we were within one point of a record fourth. It didn’t happen for us and we didn’t like that and we want to do something about it. We’ll be okay – I’ve got every confidence in that. We have a structure at the club which is good, we have the right staff, the right manager, the right chief executive, he’s a brilliant man. There’s nothing wrong with Manchester United, not a thing wrong with it. So we’ll carry on."
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6652973&page=1

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I love that man. Great speech, hard to disagree with it.

Interesting to note he doesn't mention the owners in the last paragraph when talking about having the right staff, manager and Chief Exec.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Sir Alex was in rousing mood on Wednesday night as he collects his thoughts following one of the more dramatic, and disappointing, weeks in his time as United boss. Here's the transcript of his post-match press conference...

"To maintain the success at any football club is not a certainty, i.e. I always believe a four-year cycle is probably the most you can achieve in terms of success. Very few teams can create more than that four-year cycle. Last season we almost did it, we were one point short of winning the league for a record fourth time.

"We realised that to maintain that high consistency of being there challenging we had to inject youth into the club and we’ve been doing it for the last three or four years. We realised some years ago that Giggs, Scholes and Neville were never going to last forever and our policy is therefore to develop players within the club. We had a player that once said to me Rooney and Ronaldo weren’t good enough. Can you believe that? He actually said they weren’t good enough and he wasn’t prepared to wait until they were. That’s what happens, that’s the problem with potential – people don’t identify potential, they’re very poor at it. I’ve identified it all my life within young people – I know potential, I know how it can be developed and I know how to have faith in it - young people surprise you when you give them an opportunity. And that’s what this club is about. So when you see Manchester United at the moment with all these young players, you can’t see Manchester United three years ahead because you’re not thinking about that.

"We will invest in players when the time is ready. This summer wasn’t the right time as far as I was concerned; there was no value for me. There was one player who we would have liked to have got but he chose another club. I don’t think he ever wanted to come to England anyway. Some players don’t want to leave their country, it’s a fact of life, some players are happy in their own country. Some players are happy to leave and Manchester United is always a big attraction for any player. If they don’t want to leave their country then we forget about it.

"In terms of the future of Manchester United there are a lot of things in my favour – history, the respect we have from people – if I told you how many agents phone my secretary every week about players who would love to play for us - and I don’t just mean run of the mill players, I’m talking about players at almost every club in the world - it would amaze you. It’s because this club still has that fantastic romance and respect from everyone.

"Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it’s a better cow than the one you’ve got in your own field. It’s a fact. But it never really works out that way. It’s probably the same cow which is only as good as your own cow. We have to deal with that – some players like to think that it’s a better world somewhere else, it never really works like that.

"As I said, three Premier League titles in a row is fantastic and we were within one point of a record fourth. It didn’t happen for us and we didn’t like that and we want to do something about it. We’ll be okay – I’ve got every confidence in that. We have a structure at the club which is good, we have the right staff, the right manager, the right chief executive, he’s a brilliant man. There’s nothing wrong with Manchester United, not a thing wrong with it. So we’ll carry on."
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6652973&page=1
That should arouse the muppets.....wait im one of em! get in transfers!!!!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I love that man. Great speech, hard to disagree with it.

Interesting to note he doesn't mention the owners in the last paragraph when talking about having the right staff, manager and Chief Exec.
Superb stuff from Lord Fergie
This is right up there with 'I have a dream ...' as far as I am concerned :devil:

Silva

As good a speech as it is, I would prefer if it was already implied, sad state of affairs when it has to be reiterated.

I wonder if Bale's agent has called up :nervous:

TheMancRedDevil

Or the attempts to let Rooney know that he has no idea what he's talking about continue...
Well, yes. Probably the same thing though. The cow thing was definitely aimed at Rooney although with Rooney being such a thick cnut, he'll probably take offense and think Fergie is talking about Coleen.

TheMancRedDevil

That cow bit is actually a bit disturbing. I have never, ever looked in a field and thought "That cow looks better than my cow".

But then I don't have a cow. Perhaps Fergie does.

That line might be up there with Cantona's seagulls, actually.

It is a bit sad that he has to come out and say that everything is good at United and it SHOULD be implied but he clearly thinks that certain people are losing the faith.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That cow bit is actually a bit disturbing. I have never, ever looked in a field and thought "That cow looks better than my cow".

It is a bit sad that he has to come out and say that everything is good at United and it SHOULD be implied but he clearly thinks that certain people are losing the faith.
Not even close, we know what SAF means!

SiYuan

Cafe Grandmaster 2008

At least he didnt say sheep :smirk:

beergod

"Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it’s a better cow than the one you’ve got in your own field. It’s a fact. But it never really works out that way. It’s probably the same cow which is only as good as your own cow. We have to deal with that – some muppets like to think that it’s a better world somewhere else, it never really works like that.
fixed

TheMancRedDevil

Not even close, we know what SAF means!
I knew what Cantona meant! Check my tagline!

And I certainly know what Fergie means... he has an unnatural obsession with cows... or something... and it's not good to be comparing cows because god created all cows equally and... oh shit... where am I?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I had an erection after I read that. :drool:

It really is easy to see why he's so good. Can you imagine his team talks.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Brilliant, brilliant....

I sincerely hope he's grooming his replacement personally OR cloning himself.

odinnh

Rood;8794077 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************8794077******end_of_the_skype_highlighting said:

who?

Inspiring, reassuring, encouraging..

I could go on and on. He's such a great manager for our club and just a great guy. I still don't want to imagine life without him in control.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That speech is the definition of rousing.

I just wish he'd finished it with something along the lines of "So you can put that in your pipe and smoke it"

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Ive just watched the video of Fergie saying this over on RAWK oddly enough, one of their posters has a youtube video up and its even more inspiring actually watching and seeing him say these things, you can see the determination in his eyes, i worried the other day as frankly he looked a broken man when revealing Rooney wanted out but after seeing that ive never felt more assured.

I think in an odd way this has maybe given him even more inspiration to win more and build another side.

KOV

Melbourne! Was at Old Trafford for UNITED 5 Spurs
lovvveee it :drool:

could it have been mind games yesterday with how SAF came across? something like a broken man that his star player is leaving?

today that steely look in his eyes and when he said the things about potential i totally believed him nearly brought a tear to the eye ..

whether we have the right you talent or not at the minute ..having him in charge i know we will always be ok :devil:

you would think SF knows when the oldies do retire we will need a couple of ready made replacements to blend in with the youth and he hads reiterated that this season more than once..

afte his stirring speech i am no longer upset that the cnut wants to leave :D

giggsyflying

Football is not life. It is more than life.
i trust saf but we have a real problem, similar to arse's, i.e. our policy of "invest in a new generation of young players, rather than buy in more experienced names." now it is the players cannot be trusted. we bought young players with potential, see ronnie and roon. they were successfully developed but once they can get a better offer, they wish to go. as a result we turn into a feeder club like arse and may even lose money for the failing purchase. it really looks worrying if we stick to such policy

darko

i trust saf but we have a real problem, similar to arse's, i.e. our policy of "invest in a new generation of young players, rather than buy in more experienced names." now it is the players cannot be trusted. we bought young players with potential, see ronnie and roon. they were successfully developed but once they can get a better offer, they wish to go. as a result we turn into a feeder club like arse and may even lose money for the failing purchase. it really looks worrying if we stick to such policy
Buying guarantees jack squat. Just look at Veron the guy who was going to solve all the midfield woes. I like SAF's policy of youth and buying players when they are young.
For all the troubled start United have had this season, they have yet to lose and they have basically done it with Rooney playing very much below par.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's ironic that Rooney was actually bought based on his potential and now he's slagging off Sir Alex for continuing to do the same thing.